Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
MTS has all free content, all the time. Find out how YOU can help to keep it running. Tell me how...

"Surf's Up!" - New surfing interaction and set

by maybesomethingdunno Posted 8th Jun 2011 at 1:37 AM - Updated 9th Jul 2020 at 12:13 AM by maybesomethingdunno

290 Comments / Replies (Who?) - 89 Feedback Posts, 200 Thanks Posts
Hide Thanks Posts for this thread (Show only feedback)
Page 7 of 12
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#151 Old 10th Jul 2011 at 1:53 AM
Amazing! But... and the kids? Kids cant surf! Snif!
*shrugs*
retired moderator
Original Poster
#152 Old 10th Jul 2011 at 2:02 AM
blueeyes0003: If you don't see the wave effects, your computer specs (graphics/video card) may be to blame.

Ivy_Belle_10_10: Yeah, maybe sometime in the future? It's a matter of children animations or lack thereof. This project is not necessarily finished. It will be updated.

I don't mind if you call me "MSD" or something for short.
Tumblr
Perhaps someday I'll have leisure time back...
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#153 Old 13th Jul 2011 at 2:18 AM
i downloaded this and it shows up in my game. my sim lives on a beach and when i click on him, the surfing action doesn't come up. please help!!!
*shrugs*
retired moderator
Original Poster
#154 Old 13th Jul 2011 at 2:19 AM Last edited by maybesomethingdunno : 13th Jul 2011 at 2:37 AM.
helloooooooo: Does your Sim have a surfboard in their inventory? Is your Sim a Teen or older? Is your Sim a Servo (robot)? Is your Sim pregnant (in the "showing" stages)? Your Sim cannot already be swimming in the ocean or in a pool.

Tumblr
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#155 Old 15th Jul 2011 at 1:18 AM
You my friend are awesome! I don't know why the people at Maxis didn't implement this to begin with given all the surfing-related content, but you have filled a long neglected gap! Major kudos to you!
*shrugs*
retired moderator
Original Poster
#156 Old 16th Jul 2011 at 6:01 AM
July 16, UPDATE: "No Surfing" sign should prohibit surfing on any lot that it is placed.
The sign can be found in the "Miscellaneous" subsection of the "Decorative" category in Buy Mode for $100 (the same as the Sim Crossing sign from which it is cloned).

Invisible recolor included for base and sign. The sign can be placed near the ocean.

The surfing interaction has been updated to check for the existence of this sign on the lot before adding the "Surf" menu onto the Active Sim, so please download the surfing interaction again. Otherwise the sign will not work.

Tumblr
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#157 Old 16th Jul 2011 at 8:34 AM
Very nice idea! :D
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#158 Old 18th Jul 2011 at 11:51 PM
to me I do not get something ... Teacher put on the wall of surf, sea waves and many SIM does not want to ride does not let me ... why would not I done something wrong?
*shrugs*
retired moderator
Original Poster
#159 Old 19th Jul 2011 at 5:16 AM
radii123, I am sorry. I do not understand what you are trying to say. You must place the surfboard in the Sim's inventory to be able to surf (not the rack on the wall). Click on your Sim (who has the surfboard in his inventory) and choose "Surf". Do not click on the surfboard.

Tumblr
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#160 Old 19th Jul 2011 at 2:12 PM
aha thanks
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#161 Old 19th Jul 2011 at 7:35 PM
Let me just say this was a long time coming. Thank you so much for the time and energy you put in to making this mod. :-)
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#162 Old 22nd Jul 2011 at 4:43 PM
Plain awesome. I want to get to the sea - right now!
Lab Assistant
THANKS POST
#163 Old 26th Jul 2011 at 11:17 PM
Thanks so much! I really don't know why EA never put this in!
Scholar
THANKS POST
#164 Old 28th Jul 2011 at 7:41 AM
I am sad to report that the mod appears to be somehow involved in a problem I am having with a mini jump bug. The sims only jump out of their action and lose their cue when I queue up a social command while they're in another social action already, and then they are able to complete the next task, usually.

I went on two binary searches and ended up removing a bunch of highly suspected items. I thought something might be conflictign with the surf mod, but sim wardrobe's hack detection utiity didn't catch it.

I'm still thinking that if the surfing mod is at all involved, it's a conflict with another hacked thing, but I can't find it. If I could, I'd remove the other thing and keep this one! I'd rather have it than a lot of other things.

Anyway, I have a question" has anybody reported a conflicr with any other object? Do you think I am barking up the wrong tree?
*shrugs*
retired moderator
Original Poster
#165 Old 28th Jul 2011 at 3:58 PM
lucy kemnitzer: Do you mind turning on debug mode and posting the error log?

Tumblr
Scholar
#166 Old 28th Jul 2011 at 4:18 PM
Okay, I'll do that in the next couple of days. Like I said, I'm not sure it's the surfing mod and I hope it's not (or if it is, it's something particular about it in my game that I can fix).

Tonight I'll put surfing back in and collect the debug log.
Test Subject
#167 Old 29th Jul 2011 at 9:23 AM
Quote: Originally posted by DigitalSympathies
Wow, this is amazing, just what I needed to film my island vacation setup. Thank you very much! This is awesome!

Have u finished ur vid yet?
Theorist
THANKS POST
#168 Old 30th Jul 2011 at 11:00 PM
MSD, this is amazing! I remember you were working on a surfboard like a year ago but I never would have guessed this would be the result. Congrats on your feature and thanks so much for all your time, hard work and for adding something new and exciting for the Sims 2. I love it and can't wait to add it to my game.
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#169 Old 31st Jul 2011 at 12:45 AM
wow stupendo grazie
Scholar
#170 Old 31st Jul 2011 at 7:07 AM
I'm pretty sure it's not the surfboard at all, now. I ran the game with testing cheats on, looked at the log, and found a whole slew of things that I didn't even know were in the game that just didn't look right. So I took those out and tried again. This time there was about a sim day worth of play before the errors started up(attached). I don't know how to read error logs, but it looks like when I attempt any interaction between my active sim (Julien Cooke, the sweetest sim ever except for Chester Gieke) and another sim (with some exceptions I haven't been able to characterize), the game hiccups on a test for flirt? Am I reading that right?

Now I think the problem is among the various social mods I have, which is frustrating because I thought I tested them all already, and because I like the social mods I have. But I'm glad it doesn't seem to be the surfing mod, because that totally rocks.
Attached files:
File Type: zip  Logs.zip (175.5 KB, 9 downloads)
Description: error logs for mini-jump bug
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#171 Old 31st Jul 2011 at 10:53 AM
Thx This is great
*shrugs*
retired moderator
Original Poster
#172 Old 31st Jul 2011 at 9:04 PM
lucy kemnitzer: Thanks. From what I can tell, one error comes from a (custom?) food, Risotto, apparently trying to simmer. And, yes, the other errors seem to involve the "Social - Influence Social TEST - Flirt" BHAV, which is possibly a check to see if one Sim can be influenced either to flirt or to be flirt with (I don't know which). My understand of the "Bad gosub tree number" error is that it typically occurs:
1) when an object is cloned with an EP enabled but then played without that EP or (if this is any different)
2) when a section of BHAV code is executed in an environment lacking an EP beyond a certain EP. (There was a BHAV format which was introduced with one of the EPs. If an object or mod tries to run a BHAV of that format in an environment that predates the introduction of that format, it throws this error.)

But I don't think that would be the case here since your profile indicates that you aren't missing any of the EPs. (Bon Voyage was released after the aforementioned introduction of the additional BHAV format.) There may be a conflict of some kind, but it does not seem like the surfing mod is related (at least from what I can determine). The BHAV in question is from the Semiglobals level (the PersonGlobals semiglobals to be more precise), whereas the BHAV I use for the relationship modification is from the Global level and does not rely on that semiglobal. If you don't have any luck with the binary method as-is, you might try temporarily taking out of all your CC except for your social mods and see if the error still occurs. If it does, try the binary method (should be easier with just the social mods) to see which is the culprit. If not, then slowly add the rest of your mods and repeat the testing. Check to make sure all your mods have been updated. I'm sorry I can't be more helpful. I wish you good luck and I hope you get it sorted out. Let me know how it goes.

Everyone else: Thank you again for the comments, downloads, and Thanks.

Tumblr
Scholar
THANKS POST
#173 Old 1st Aug 2011 at 5:26 AM
MSD, thank you for looking at it for me! Yes, I have all the expansions. Today I took out a folder of more recent social mods, and I never got the mini-jump bug in several sim days of play. So there are five suspect files, and since one of them specifically addresses the influence interaction, I figure that is the most likely culprit.

I can't tell you how glad I was to rule out the surfing: my sims live in a fictional Central California Coast beach town and surfing is a big addition to the atmosphere.
*shrugs*
retired moderator
Original Poster
#174 Old 1st Aug 2011 at 5:44 AM
Thank you for reporting back. I'm glad you seem to have it sorted out and I'm glad my mod has added so much to your and others' games.

Tumblr
Test Subject
#175 Old 1st Aug 2011 at 3:27 PM
Wow this is a great download x
Page 7 of 12