Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Inventor
Original Poster
#1 Old 15th Jun 2009 at 1:14 AM
Default Money for nothing?
Ok so this happened just 5 miuntes ago and I'm still baffled as to what happened...

I'm playing a family of 4, Mom, Dad and two teen boys. Dad's in the medical career as gentherapist, mom's a homemaker, he's at home painting and she's in the bedroom reading "Murder in Pleasantview" for the 9th billion time...

I send one of the boys, Tim, to attend a concert since it is saturday night, the other, Allen, has been at the Riverside Chess Club all day (yes I drained the pool) and I decide to send him to the theatre to attend a guitar class...

So far nothing weird, buisiness as usual.. well I'm focusing on Tim as he's chatting with a schoolfriend in front of the Stadium after the concert and out of the blue, nearly 20k get's added to my family's fund...

What the... how... wh... dou...... huh?

Has to be the oddest bug I've seen so far... At least I assume it's a bug as I wouldn't know where the money would have come from...

The Grumpy Old Gamer's Blog

~Life is like a box of chocolates, just when you're enjoying it, you choke on it.
Advertisement
Instructor
#2 Old 15th Jun 2009 at 1:49 AM
Was the family friends with any old rich people? Maybe one died and that's their chunk of the inheritance.
Field Researcher
#3 Old 15th Jun 2009 at 1:51 AM
do your son mooch for money?
Field Researcher
#4 Old 15th Jun 2009 at 2:06 AM
Did the father get a huge cash bonus from work? Though I've never heard of a bonus that large... I really don't know how that happened.
Inventor
Original Poster
#5 Old 15th Jun 2009 at 3:14 AM
No on all accounts, nobody is a mooch( mooching 19k? ), no oppertunities and/or work related bonusses were recieved, and nobody the family knew died.

It was such a weird number too, 19.XXX simoleans... All I can think of is that somhow the guitar lessons glitched and instead of taking away 320 simoleans (they were on discount that day) I recieved the 20k.

I'm kind of in two minds about the money too... Feels like I'm cheating when I'm not Spending the money on the house now, adding a second floor.

~Life is like a box of chocolates, just when you're enjoying it, you choke on it.
Forum Resident
#6 Old 15th Jun 2009 at 3:50 AM
I only see one time when the bill that come on Monday and Thursday was tripled from 500 + to 1500+. The next time, it become 500+ again. It is really not a big deal to my sim (since he makes about 75k to 80k per week). However, I still don't know why it was tripled once.

Live for today, learn from yesterday, and dream of tomorrow.
A being under construction -- Even so, come.
Inventor
Original Poster
#7 Old 15th Jun 2009 at 12:57 PM Last edited by Axe Gaijin : 15th Jun 2009 at 2:41 PM.
What the fiddlesticks!? it just happened again!

It's now tuesday evening, the family has around 3k simoleons. Mom is taking a bath, Dad is at the art musseum, Tim is in bed becuase he stayed up late the night before and Allen is painting in his bedroom...

BAM! 21K added to the family funds, no message, no pop-ups...
I heard moneymaking was easy in this game, but this takes the biscuit!

Now I have to use the familyfunds cheat to get rid of the money..

EDIT: While throwing a birthday party for mom on thursday, another 14K randomly added to the family's fund. *bangs head on desk*

Field Researcher
#8 Old 15th Jun 2009 at 2:59 PM
LMAO

Seems like a bug. Though it might also be something that we simply don't know about. Or maybe something as simple as an event message never appeared and you are just supposed to know what the money's all about.

I've got no clue. Just enjoy the money. :D
Theorist
#9 Old 15th Jun 2009 at 3:06 PM
It could be a bug, or as alyria80 said, inheritance without a pop-up?
:D
Field Researcher
#10 Old 15th Jun 2009 at 3:49 PM
Hmmm, sounds like a bug, but I could be wrong. I didn't think inheritance was in the game, considering my sim's family and best friends keep dying right and left and they're not receiving anything.

If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun. ~ Katharine Hepburn
Stupid people are stupid
#11 Old 15th Jun 2009 at 3:49 PM
Quote: Originally posted by KKai
I only see one time when the bill that come on Monday and Thursday was tripled from 500 + to 1500+. The next time, it become 500+ again. It is really not a big deal to my sim (since he makes about 75k to 80k per week). However, I still don't know why it was tripled once.

I had that happen too when my sim had her boyfriend (the Wolf guy) over. He parked his car on her driveway (she didn't have a car) and the bill was almost 4 times higher. She was broke.
Test Subject
#12 Old 15th Jun 2009 at 8:34 PM
both times you mentioned someone was painting...

its a long shot... but perhaps they were EPIC paintings? and they got sold for insane amounts?

=| all i got i'm afraid.
Inventor
Original Poster
#13 Old 15th Jun 2009 at 9:27 PM
Nope on the painting either, as the third time nobody was painting

And of course, it just happened again...

Saturday evening my sims are all getting to bed or are in bed, I go into the kitchen to make coffee leaving the game running, I come back and 51k is added to my household fund.

Seems I'm doomed to recieve random large sums of money every other day for the rest of eternity...
Going to try evicting and replacing

Why doesn't stuff like this happen to me in real life? (Allen is my self-sim that started the game as toddler)

P.s. I'm still waiting for the free chicks...

Test Subject
#14 Old 15th Jun 2009 at 9:43 PM
You poor thing (heh, or not.. :P)

When I played earlier, I suddenly got about 2k, and I didn't understand why. I -think- it might be because my Tamara Donner died. She is married to Cycl0n3, the father of my sim. But they don't have a relationship to speak of... But if there is inheritance in the game, that might be what happened in my case.
Field Researcher
#15 Old 15th Jun 2009 at 10:10 PM
I'm starting to think this may be happening in my game. I don't pay much attention, and I have aging off with 5 working sims in my household (2 elders who never retired and reached the tops of their careers, and 3 of their young adult children, one of whom has reached the 9th level of his career), and their mooch teen daughter I don't pay attention to is constantly visiting her boyfriend, one of the Goths, and I have a gem collector in the family, but even with those big sources of $$$, I seem to have income unaccounted for. I intended for them to be a rich family, so I don't mind at all, but it's weird how rapidly they're supplanting the Altos and Goths as the wealthiest family in Sunset Valley (and they still live in their built up "not-a-trailer-technically" narrow house)

Money is constantly changing hands in the family so I stopped paying attention to where all that income is coming from.
Test Subject
#16 Old 15th Jun 2009 at 10:59 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Aree
(and they still live in their built up "not-a-trailer-technically" narrow house)

I personally love that house! And omg guys quit getting easy money :<
Lab Assistant
#17 Old 16th Jun 2009 at 1:23 AM
I have no idea what the problem could be... but I'm 99% sure there is no inheritance in this game. I've had family sims die all the time, both in and out of the household, and I've never gotten anything.

If you were a Sim, would anybody want to play you?
Test Subject
#18 Old 16th Jun 2009 at 2:45 AM
Just wondering if you have any sort of partnerships in the town businesses? I would think that would give you random income without doing anything. Just a thought.
Inventor
Original Poster
#19 Old 16th Jun 2009 at 3:10 AM
No partnership, IIRC you have to go and get the money yourself with a partnership, and it's only once a week.

It's been a week so far since the last mysterious donation... *shrug*

Test Subject
#20 Old 16th Jun 2009 at 2:49 PM
I think this happened in my game as well, except it was like $52,xxx. I remember it being a weird number too. No pop-ups came up and i still have no explanation as to why it could have happened. It also hasn't happened since.
Instructor
#21 Old 16th Jun 2009 at 5:50 PM
How do I get this 20k giving bug again?