Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 16th Jun 2009 at 3:19 AM
Default Homeless Sim 3
I always wanted to control a homeless Sim, living in the parks, eating food out of the trash or left over’s from picnics, showering and going to the bathroom at the Y (the work out facility), but I just can’t seem to get a Sim to live off the land.

I don’t suppose anyone would know how to get a Sim to live without a lot?

It would be cool to put those music talents to work for you, starting out with no money, living each day as a challenge in poverty instead of as a mid class or high living Sim.
Advertisement
Test Subject
#2 Old 16th Jun 2009 at 3:30 AM
Put a tree on an empty lot. Maybe a bench. Move sim in. Voila! Homeless. :D
Lab Assistant
#3 Old 16th Jun 2009 at 3:43 AM
Yeah, pretty much design an abandoned park or something, but put it as a residential lot.
I made a couple homeless sims in my town and the simmies (I leave most of it up to free will) are really changing their own lives =D
Check out this story, someone is making an amazing blog about a single parent and his daughter living "homeless" in the Sims 3.
http://aliceandkev.wordpress.com/20.../alice-and-kev/
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#4 Old 16th Jun 2009 at 4:23 AM
Yeah I guess I can design a park on a residential lot, just to bad that that I can't move Sims into a community lot. I want them to to actually spend there nights and days living form place to place, instead of automatically going to a home lot when a need is wanting to be met, mostly its the sleep need that does this.
Lab Assistant
#5 Old 16th Jun 2009 at 4:48 AM
I had a similar idea for an expansion pack a little while back. Sims Hobo. Could introduce larger communities that look more like cities complete with back alleys to move into.
Lab Assistant
#6 Old 16th Jun 2009 at 5:07 AM
Quote: Originally posted by CrazyAce
Yeah I guess I can design a park on a residential lot, just to bad that that I can't move Sims into a community lot. I want them to to actually spend there nights and days living form place to place, instead of automatically going to a home lot when a need is wanting to be met, mostly its the sleep need that does this.

So just don't go back to the lot. Sleep on the benches or at the library or by the pool at the gym.
Test Subject
#7 Old 16th Jun 2009 at 5:57 AM
Default My homeless sim...
I have a sim who has been living homeless for a challenge I have developed (in the "living off the land thread")
I bought an empty lot and did not improve it. I shower at the gym and sleep on any park bench...for food I harvest whatever I find growing, or get free juice at the juice bar, and sometimes steal a sandwich from a picknic basket.
Lab Assistant
#8 Old 16th Jun 2009 at 6:07 AM
Hmm. Well I tested out living as a homeless insane, loner, something something hobo. It started out as a challange to myself to survive, but really I don't see how the difficulty in this game could be any lower.

The 28 hour gym has a bar and fridge that are free, as well as several shower and one high quality tub. Central park almost always has food of varying quality available whether from a picnic or sims grilling. There are of course foods you can harvest off public areas but you really don't need to. One downfall is not having a bed and having to tell your sim to take a nap several times to get your energy back. Unless of course you ring a doorbell and highjack a bed for a while. The mean streets all in all are pretty cushy.
Field Researcher
#9 Old 16th Jun 2009 at 7:12 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Antipilor
Hmm. Well I tested out living as a homeless insane, loner, something something hobo. It started out as a challange to myself to survive, but really I don't see how the difficulty in this game could be any lower.

The 28 hour gym has a bar and fridge that are free, as well as several shower and one high quality tub. Central park almost always has food of varying quality available whether from a picnic or sims grilling. There are of course foods you can harvest off public areas but you really don't need to. One downfall is not having a bed and having to tell your sim to take a nap several times to get your energy back. Unless of course you ring a doorbell and highjack a bed for a while. The mean streets all in all are pretty cushy.

You know... there's just been SO many things I've wanted to try with my Sims over the past few days, this being one of them. However, the electricity in my neighborhood has been iffy at BEST lately, and it hasn't even been stormy! Uggh... SO frustrating! I'm afraid I'll get an S3 game going, and the electricity will go out again!
Eminence Grise
#10 Old 16th Jun 2009 at 7:24 AM
I played a gypsy She had a home lot with a firepit, and a bed, because her LTW was to dump 13 guys, and I figured she'd want to seduce some of em out of sight of their wives. She did a lot of fishing, and I found out you can roast fish as well as veggies and fruit) on the firepit... so much better than a stove, cause it doesn't break and doesn't need cleaning

It really is much easier to play a property-free sim than one that has a big house and a lot of stuff, because the cleaning, maintenance and bills in the latter case means you have to actually have an income. Hmm, maybe there's a life lesson in that?

I don't think it means the GAME is too easy though. It just means it supports more playstyles than Sims 2 did. The game is plenty hard (in time management terms) if you go with the house and the job and the cleaning and repairing and bills and skills requirements and so on.
Test Subject
#11 Old 16th Jun 2009 at 7:42 AM
I tired the homeless thing. It wasn't that hard I just had the dad run around town rummaging through garbage and stealing vegetables for food. He some how found magic marsh mellows to roast (!?) I gave them an outhouse and some benches but on his way around town he would shower at the pool and sleep on people's lawn chairs.

Since he was crazy and evil I had him beat up people in the park. He beat up a cop which I figured would get im tossed in jail. No the cop just cried and ran off.

:/