Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 27th Jun 2024 at 2:18 PM
Changing the time format to 24 hour time format
Hello, I'm trying to make a fan translation of The Sims 1 in my native language, transferring the translation to the British version of the language. Is there any way to change the time format on the British version of the language, instead of the usual 12 hour time format? I assume I need to change the sims.exe file, but I don't know how. I'm totally dumb at programming.
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#2 Old 27th Jun 2024 at 4:44 PM
We don't have the source code for the game, so it's not possible to change how the game itself is programmed, unless you hex edit (hack) the EXE file itself. But that's definitely not a beginner's course.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 27th Jun 2024 at 5:11 PM
Quote: Originally posted by kenoi
We don't have the source code for the game, so it's not possible to change how the game itself is programmed, unless you hex edit (hack) the EXE file itself. But that's definitely not a beginner's course.

It would be great if someone could help with this. I'm totally creative, not technical, and can only deal with text, which I already do.
Lab Assistant
#4 Old 27th Jun 2024 at 5:24 PM
I would, but I don't know much about hex editing myself (I'm only a beginner at it)...

Out of curiosity, what language are you translating the game to?

Don't feel bad if you can't change the clock to a 24-hour clock. The official UK release of the game also had the 12-hour clock -- even though that's not how time is displayed in Europe.

Funnily enough, Maxis focused on the buildings and street markings, but not on the time display. 😅
Lab Assistant
#5 Old 27th Jun 2024 at 5:29 PM
There's also another thing you may want to take into consideration when translating the game: the game's world is really set in a fictional U.S.. Most cultural elements in the game are representative of U.S. culture. So the AM/PM time display may actually be appropriate, considering.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#6 Old 27th Jun 2024 at 5:33 PM
I would, but I don't know much about hex editing myself (I'm only a beginner at it)...

Out of curiosity, what language are you translating the game to?

Don't feel bad if you can't change the clock to a 24-hour clock. The official UK release of the game also had the 12-hour clock -- even though that's not how time is displayed in Europe.

Funnily enough, Maxis focused on the buildings and street markings, but not on the time display. 😅

I'm translating into Russian. More precisely, I'm trying to finish a very old project on fan translation of the game into Russian.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#7 Old 2nd Jul 2024 at 2:45 PM
I'll probably just try to transfer the translation to the French language cell. It's just the third language in IffPencil2. Too bad it's a lot of text to transfer. (I can join the meme that we hate France, ahahaha.)
Lab Assistant
#8 Old 2nd Jul 2024 at 3:32 PM
Please don't. French is one of the most spoken languages in the world. You may want to go for something less common, like Polish or Thai. A language that Russian-speaking players would be less likely to want to play the game in.

You don't want to bar Russian-speaking players from being able to explore/enjoy the game in other languages -- particularly languages they're learning.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#9 Old 2nd Jul 2024 at 7:37 PM
Please don't. French is one of the most spoken languages in the world. You may want to go for something less common, like Polish or Thai. A language that Russian-speaking players would be less likely to want to play the game in.

You don't want to bar Russian-speaking players from being able to explore/enjoy the game in other languages -- particularly languages they're learning.

But if people want to play in French, they just don't have to install my translation. It will be much easier for me to transfer the text to the French cell, because it is the third language in IffPencil 2
Lab Assistant
#10 Old 2nd Jul 2024 at 8:38 PM Last edited by kenoi : 3rd Jul 2024 at 3:11 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by Macalok
But if people want to play in French, they just don't have to install my translation. It will be much easier for me to transfer the text to the French cell, because it is the third language in IffPencil 2

I'm only recommending this thinking about the Russian players. It's not a big deal, but Russian players who are learning French will not be able to experience your version of the game in both Russian and French.

It's up to you, but if you ask me, it makes more sense to use a language that is rarely learned and used in other countries. English, German, and French are literally three of some of the most spoken languages in the world -- so a lot of people will have learned them and will be learning them as a second language.

Thai is one of the last in the list in IFF Pencil -- just as easy for you to access as the third in the list. I imagine the amount of Russian players who will want to play the game in Thai is rather small. And vice versa.