Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 17th Jan 2008 at 3:54 AM
Default New Upgrade
Well I've decided to finally get a much needed upgrade on my cpu, since it can no longer handle EP's (Pets and up). To my dismay I found out that a have a AGP slot which has already become outdated and I thought that the Geforce 7900GS might be a good choice?

Computer specs:
HP Pavilion a620n Desktop PC
Windows XP Home Edition
AMD Athlon(B) XP 3200+ 2.20 GHz
448MB RAM (will be updated to 1 gig)
VIA/S3G UniChrome IGP (current video card)

My current graphics card is dying out on me and the game it self lags a lot during gameplay so I'd like the new card to give me smooth gameplay (if even possible). I'm willing to spend up to $200 but the cheaper the better so any suggestions would be helpful.
Advertisement
shiny!
retired moderator
#2 Old 17th Jan 2008 at 10:39 PM
I'm afraid in order to upgrade your video you will also have to upgrade your power supply..unless you have already done this. The power supply it comes with is not enough to run any of the newer cards. The 7900GS, if you can find one, is a very good card. Prob more than you need for TS2. Even a 7600 GT would be a good option for you. Actually the 7600 GT by EVGA is clocked faster than the 7900GS by XFX (assuming that's what you're looking at..)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...N82E16814130099

I reccomend getting about a 450w psu. This is my current psu and I love it: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicat...6&sku=P227-1005
PCP&C is one of the best brands around, and it is my personal favorite. Other good brands are Corsair, Seasonic, OCZ and some Enermax and Thermaltakes are good. PSUs to stay away from are Rosewill and Sparkle. The real trick with running these newer cards is they not only have a watts recommendation but also need a certain number of volts on the rail. Many of the cheaper power supplies just don't provide this.

It might also be beneficial for you to increase your Ram. When you've loaded TS2 fully to the main menu, minimize your game and open your task panel.. click on the performance tab and see how much ram is being used. I know I haven't used that little RAM for running TS2 in forever..
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 18th Jan 2008 at 6:01 PM
Thanks for your help callistra! I plan on ordering the 7600 GT by evga, since judging by the reviews, is a good choice. I was searching for a power supply on the website link you provided and I was wondering what your thoughts were about these two: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicat...9594&CatId=1078 or http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...N82E16817159031
They seem to be a good products but again my computer knowledge is very limited and have no idea how to make sure they're compatible with my pc. So it would be great if someone can help me with that.

As for the RAM, I'll be taking your advice and increase the amount of Ram being used. Thanks again.
shiny!
retired moderator
#4 Old 20th Jan 2008 at 4:00 PM
According to the Specs that PSu on tigerdirect only has 15a on a single 12 v rail. Not enough. Wouldn't touch that one. Neweggs looks like it has one 17 and one 16. That one is at least better. In that price range, I don't think you can beat that power supply. If you're willing to spend about $20 more you can get a much much better one.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 22nd Jan 2008 at 12:20 AM
mm, well have to see what my dad says about the psu, but I might be going with the one from newegg. Quick question: some of the psu's i've been looking at say they have a PCI Express Video Connector, what exactly does this mean?

I have my theories but I'm pretty sure I'm wrong.
shiny!
retired moderator
#6 Old 22nd Jan 2008 at 2:07 AM
That is what you absolutely need to run your new evga card. There will be a connector that runs from the psu and plugs into the video card. Not connecting this will make the card under powered which can cause performance issues and crashing. Sorry something I totally took for granted and should have mentioned.. make sure the psu has one of those!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#7 Old 29th Jan 2008 at 6:07 PM
ok thank you, I just have one more question: would your current psu be compatible with my cpu. I know it has to be compatible with a motherboard that has 20/24 pin atx and mine has a 20 pin atx.

Thanks for all the help!
Forum Resident
#8 Old 29th Jan 2008 at 9:28 PM
I didn't think the 7600GT had a 6 pin connector..the PCI-E slot 16x gives enough power?
shiny!
retired moderator
#9 Old 29th Jan 2008 at 11:14 PM
vlp025, the PCP&C PSU I linked above would be compatible with your 20 pin motherboard. The PSU is 20+4 pin which means it will work with both 20pin and 24pin ATX motherboards. Your CPU doesn't have anything to do with psu compatibility.

TingTong: The EVGA 7600 GT has a separate 4-pin power connector, and no it is not reccomend to run the card without the extra power connection. http://c1.neweggimages.com/NeweggIm...-130-099-04.jpg You see the power connector on the back of the card? The card we're talking about is the AGP not PCI-E version since that's what's compatible with their motherboard.. if the PCIE card doesn't have a connector then it doesn't need it. That's the general rule.. if there's a connector use it, if not there's no need.