Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 23rd Jun 2024 at 7:16 AM
Default Functional Beds
hello everyone! does anyone know how to make a bed functional? ik how to do it for ts3 but have no idea how to do it for ts1. what programs and so on are needed?
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#2 Old 23rd Jun 2024 at 9:02 AM
You should probably start by cloning an existing bed object that has all the functions you need, or at least close to it, with the Transmogrifier tool. (Note that you will need to give it a unique ID, called a magic cookie, when cloning it. More on that here: https://persimmon.ephralon.de/IFFSnoop/IFFSMagic.html)

Then, depending on what you want to change, there are different tools to accomplish that. So let us know what you want to change.

You can also check out this tutorial, which talks about how to create a new object, and all its graphics, from scratch: https://persimmon.ephralon.de/IFFSnoop/IFFSNew1.html

The best way to approach this would be to add the graphics from the current bed object you have to the new bed object that you've cloned from a working bed object. It's usually easier than trying to add all the bed object functions into a non-functional (static) object.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 23rd Jun 2024 at 10:34 AM
Quote: Originally posted by kenoi
You should probably start by cloning an existing bed object that has all the functions you need, or at least close to it, with the Transmogrifier tool. (Note that you will need to give it a unique ID, called a magic cookie, when cloning it. More on that here: https://persimmon.ephralon.de/IFFSnoop/IFFSMagic.html)

Then, depending on what you want to change, there are different tools to accomplish that. So let us know what you want to change.

You can also check out this tutorial, which talks about how to create a new object, and all its graphics, from scratch: https://persimmon.ephralon.de/IFFSnoop/IFFSNew1.html

The best way to approach this would be to add the graphics from the current bed object you have to the new bed object that you've cloned from a working bed object. It's usually easier than trying to add all the bed object functions into a non-functional (static) object.

i found beds that i like, but they only as decor, i want to make them functional so that sims can sleep in them
Lab Assistant
#4 Old 23rd Jun 2024 at 11:43 AM
Quote: Originally posted by imnotreal666
i found beds that i like, but they only as decor, i want to make them functional so that sims can sleep in them

The best way would be to extract the graphics/images from the static bed object you downloaded, and insert them into the functional bed object you cloned.

But note that the functional bed object has more graphics than just the neat bed itself from 4 angles. Sims need to be able to mess it up and climb into it -- so it has at least 3 different states. If the custom bed object you downloaded does not have these graphical states, then what you're trying to do will result in something very strange: the sims will end up "merging" with the bed once they climb into it. It will not look right at all, it will look like a bug.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 23rd Jun 2024 at 12:31 PM
The best way would be to extract the graphics/images from the static bed object you downloaded, and insert them into the functional bed object you cloned.

But note that the functional bed object has more graphics than just the neat bed itself from 4 angles. Sims need to be able to mess it up and climb into it -- so it has at least 3 different states. If the custom bed object you downloaded does not have these graphical states, then what you're trying to do will result in something very strange: the sims will end up "merging" with the bed once they climb into it. It will not look right at all, it will look like a bug.

i dont understand how to extract the image from the decorative bed into the functional cloned bed ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Lab Assistant
#6 Old 23rd Jun 2024 at 12:52 PM
You can use IFF Pencil 2 to export the graphics from one object, and import them into another:

Screenshots
Test Subject
Original Poster
#7 Old 23rd Jun 2024 at 1:02 PM
You can use IFF Pencil 2 to export the graphics from one object, and import them into another:

so first i need to clone the functional bed in transmogrif, after that i need to export the graphics of the downloaded bed and import it on the cloned bed?
Lab Assistant
#8 Old 23rd Jun 2024 at 1:20 PM
so first i need to clone the functional bed in transmogrif, after that i need to export the graphics of the downloaded bed and import it on the cloned bed?

Correct (making sure you delete the existing graphics the cloned object already has on it). And also to give your cloned object a unique ID (magic cookie) when you're cloning it.

But as I said, you may find that while it works, the final object won't look right, because it is missing essential graphic states (the bed being messed up, and a person sleeping in the bed).
Test Subject
Original Poster
#9 Old 23rd Jun 2024 at 1:39 PM
Correct (making sure you delete the existing graphics the cloned object already has on it). And also to give your cloned object a unique ID (magic cookie) when you're cloning it.

But as I said, you may find that while it works, the final object won't look right, because it is missing essential graphic states (the bed being messed up, and a person sleeping in the bed).

can the existing graphics for the cloned bed be removed using iff pencil?
Lab Assistant
#10 Old 23rd Jun 2024 at 2:46 PM
can the existing graphics for the cloned bed be removed using iff pencil?

Have a look at my screenshot above. What is the second option in the context menu?
Test Subject
Original Poster
#11 Old 23rd Jun 2024 at 4:04 PM
Have a look at my screenshot above. What is the second option in the context menu?

i wasnt at home and my internet connection was poor, so the pictures were uploaded in bad quality. i see it now. thanks for the help, ill try it
Test Subject
Original Poster
#12 Old 23rd Jun 2024 at 4:19 PM

i tried, but it didn't work. instead of a bed there is now just a dark round shadow and that’s it. what did i do wrong?
Lab Assistant
#13 Old 23rd Jun 2024 at 5:12 PM
Did you import the new graphics? Make sure that the numbers and names for the graphics match the original object's that yours was cloned from.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#14 Old 23rd Jun 2024 at 6:22 PM
Did you import the new graphics? Make sure that the numbers and names for the graphics match the original object's that yours was cloned from.

i managed to do it, but as u said, the animations look weird, although idc about it. btw, i found a link online from someone that has invisible beds (regular and lovebeds) in the beds section, which look like small black spots that u can place under a decorative bed to make it "functional". the animations are still incorrect, but its better than manually redoing each deco bed - https://simfileshare.net/download/2676167/ (rae_invisiblebed.zip and rae_lovebed_invisiblealmost.zip). thank u for ur help and the useful links
Lab Assistant
#15 Old 23rd Jun 2024 at 6:48 PM
Beds are one of the more complex, layered objects in the game. They need 12 or more graphics (3 states from 4 angles), and the pre-rendered images in the graphics themselves need to be layered (so that a sim can slide below the sheets). That's the only way to get them to look and work right.
Lab Assistant
#16 Old 23rd Jun 2024 at 9:34 PM Last edited by EphemeralToast : 23rd Jun 2024 at 9:47 PM.
Beds are one of the more complex, layered objects in the game. They need 12 or more graphics (3 states from 4 angles), and the pre-rendered images in the graphics themselves need to be layered (so that a sim can slide below the sheets). That's the only way to get them to look and work right.

This is why there are so many custom beds that are "semi-deco" or "deco only." They require a LOT of work compared to almost every other object.

I don't know very much about object creation, but maybe taking a look at a "semi-deco" bed would be helpful? Those beds allow sims to sleep in them but they have fewer graphic states, so usually the sim just sleeps on top of the sheets and there's no "messy" version of the bed.

Edit: here's a link with a semi-deco bed to look at. The "Makutu Tiki" double bed has just one graphic state but it works as a bed, I've used it in my own game. https://simfileshare.net/download/4170869/
Lab Assistant
#17 Old 25th Jun 2024 at 1:57 AM
If you want to start with simpler objects and want to try out editing object graphics, the Transmogrifier tool lets you do that. Here is an old video by its creator, Don Hopkins, on how to export graphics from objects using it, so that you can edit them in an image editing software, like Photoshop:

You can both export and import graphics/images out-of/into objects using the Transmogrifier.