Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 3rd Jun 2024 at 9:23 PM
Default Idea for a mod, need help to see if it's possible
Hello,

I've been having this idea for a mod for months and I would love to make it happen. Unfortunately, I have no modding experience whatsoever and I think it would be quite difficult to make it even for someone experienced.
However, I'm looking for advice from people who know how to create mods, just to see if it's doable, and if so how.
When I play sims, I like to give them jobs that allow me to control them instead of rabbit holes job, so I often make them write or paint.
The idea was to make this two careers more fun and less repetitive by creating the possibility of hosting book signings for writers and exhibitions for painters.
Sims should have a certain level of writing/paitnintg skill and then they would be able to throw these events in a public lot (probably an art gallery lot for exhibitions and bookshop for book signings) and earn money from it, based on how successful the event is. The success of the event should be based on performing specific actions, such as: giving speech, buying drinks, quality of the food, chatting about art with the people inviting, signing autographs etc.
I've seen a very similar mod for sims 4 https://www.curseforge.com/sims4/mo...xhibition-event
Do you think something like this would be doable for sims 3 ? It would probably have to be a type of party I guess, like now you can throw different kind of parties, but I'm just guessing.

Thanks to whoever will answer me, I've been trying to discuss this with someone basically everywhere (discors, reddit, tumblr...) but with no sucess...
Advertisement
Forum Resident
#2 Old 3rd Jun 2024 at 10:40 PM
The difficulty with TS3 modding is the accessibility of making script mods, at which the experience needed in programming (and C# specifically) scare many away from the process of making things that require pure scripting. As opposed to TS4, which can achieve a lot with pure XML modding, and if scripts are needed they are at least in Python (a somewhat more beginner friendly scripting language, but it varies from person to person).

I do think it is possible, that's just the main hurdle. If you don't have experience in C#, you may find that it will take a while for this specific project to be viable- but it can be the goal to work toward. Smaller projects until you're comfortable working with that medium will help teach you the basics so that you aren't going in blind to something more ambitious.
I like this tutorial by Battery- the older ones based on Visual Studio are good too, that program can just be a hassle to install these days. And if you end up needing help troubleshooting code that isn't working as intended, there are usually a few script modders around on the forums who can take a look.

Lastly, TS4 and TS3 have very different systems to build upon / reverse-engineer into what you what, so how exactly it will come together may vary from what can be achieved in one game vs the other. Specific tasks contributing to party success is very TS4 oriented and there may not be an existing parallel to use in TS3.
But you can take inspiration from all kinds of features until you find ones that work similar to what you want to achieve- autograph signings for musicians at the theatre lot came to mind, or optional rabbithole work like holding concerts. There is also the campaign party from the political career, which has success gauged on donations received from party goers- which is getting pretty close.

Most of all, good luck and have fun experimenting
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 3rd Jun 2024 at 11:15 PM
Thank you so much for your answer! You're the first person who actually took the time to give a reply and it is super encouraging. I will start with the tutorial you've sent me. As you said, it migtht be a good idea to take it step by step. It is true that this challenge type of events are very sims 4 and not present in sims 3, another similar thing is sims 2 private school admission system, I'll just have to find something that already exists in sims 3 that could be similar. I might experiment with just seeing if I can manage to create e new type of party and to get sims to get paid for throwing parties.
Test Subject
#4 Old 4th Jun 2024 at 8:53 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Desireem
Thank you so much for your answer! You're the first person who actually took the time to give a reply...

Well, I thought I helped by referring you to Mod The Sims site to find the help you needed : /
Forum Resident
#5 Old 5th Jun 2024 at 2:36 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Hollowness
Well, I thought I helped by referring you to Mod The Sims site to find the help you needed : /

I'm sure all they meant was to be grateful that they had received an answer to their question specifically, and not to imply that previous responses were unhelpful.
It was actually a very kind sentiment for them to share

@Desireem
The community is very quiet these days and a lot of the talent run in their own private circles rather than participating in it, but I hope it will not discourage you.
There is life around, sometimes it just takes a little while to lure one of us out
Test Subject
#6 Old 5th Jun 2024 at 2:50 AM
Quote: Originally posted by CardinalSims
I'm sure all they meant was to be grateful that they had received an answer to their question specifically, and not to imply that previous responses were unhelpful.
It was actually a very kind sentiment for them to share

I really hope that is the case because you are definitely very helpful in multiple Sim communities I just tired to help them as best I could referring to Mod The Sims site and it's tutorials forum.