Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 13th Feb 2007 at 1:25 PM Last edited by IgnorantBliss : 15th Feb 2007 at 1:40 PM. Reason: removed attachment
Default Sinks Not Showing Up In Game
I'm using SimPE 0.60b, have all expansions & just patched Pets (including bodyshop awhile back). Am using Windows Media Center OP on very powerful new machine. I've tried just cloning a maxis pedestal sink without changing anything, except guide, and it doesn't show up. Had same problem with counter templates but this sink is mine so can post here. I intended to add more to it but after I couldn't get it to show, this is just basic bowl from OFB sculpture I think. I've tried using the "make stand alone object" which I didn't think would make any difference but after ripping out much hair I was desperate! I ran a health & dup id check with SimPE no problems there. Just 3 hours before I made this sink, I was able to clone, modify, import & export through Milkshape & UV Mapper, a modern card table to match a modern pool table and it showed up & works perfectly. I've made probably a dozen sinks, both pedestal & in-counter, back with SimPE 0.56 (OFB) and had no problems. For whatever reasons now, the sink simply doesn't show at all.
kay
*EDIT*Still trying to figure this out myself, tried cloning an object someone else made--sink shows up, although texture is blue even though used slave technique correctly. Not worried about the texture, so tried ALL maxis stand-alone sinks, none show, but can pick any sink made by someone else and sink works!?! Am thouroughly confused now.*
Advertisement
Part-time Hermit
#2 Old 13th Feb 2007 at 2:40 PM Last edited by IgnorantBliss : 15th Feb 2007 at 1:39 PM. Reason: removed attachment
The sink shows up in my game just fine. Maybe your thumbnail is incorrect and still shows the original sink or an earlier version of this mesh? Try clicking on every sink in your catalog and place it on a lot to see.

However, the textures were not working right. In the Text List called Materials the links were still to the original textures. I changed them to your new ones, and it works now.

The sink mesh floats in the air. When you clone a free-standing sink, it's going to be free standing and can't be placed on counters. Unless you want your sink to float in the air like that, I'd recommend cloning one of the sinks that go into counters.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 13th Feb 2007 at 2:56 PM
I wanted to sit the sink on top tables & such (with move objects on of course). Saw it in a commercial once--little boy runs past a dozen water sources all the way home to get water for the priest because this sink is I forget the name--major Brand I'm sure very expensive. What I don't understand is why the textures were not working right? I've never had a problem like this before...I mean I've never had to change the Text list before--is this only with sinks & counters?
checked in game again-still no sink no thumbnail--it simply isn't there. I'll check the one you fixed but I simply don't understand why it won't show at all. Have you patched your Pets expansion?
*EDIT* the sink you fixed doesn't show up either--perhaps there is something wrong with my game?
Part-time Hermit
#4 Old 13th Feb 2007 at 3:45 PM
I have the Pets patch, yes, although I'm not sure if it would affect this.

Are you sure you don't have any other objects in your game with the same GUID? Is your GUID registered at the SimPE site to make sure it's unique?

Sinks and counters are objects that change material (from clean to dirty), and those kind of objects usually have a Text List for the materials. Usually it updates automatically, though, I think.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 14th Feb 2007 at 1:04 PM
Thank you very much for your help-yes I know they are dumb quesitons. I was always good for that in school. I used SimPE to check the guides cause that's what I thought too. I made a backup of my downloads folder, removed everything from the sub-folders & ran the check again. Sure enough, some overlapping guides with things I downloaded & the GL pack and some of my own. I keep a list on my computer of the guides i use, I missed some!! It's weird, I thought when I ran the check through the downloads folder & then through each sub-folder SimPE would catch them. It did catch some dup objs which would have same ids, but not the fireplace & this sink!?! I'm so sorry I put you through all that, but thank you for teaching me something else about special objects & what to do in the text lists. I'm sure I missed a tutorial somewhere about that & am truely sorry for taking up your valuable time.
I'm so embarrased. . .can you feel the heat from my face? Global Warming-HA!
thank you again
kay
Part-time Hermit
#6 Old 14th Feb 2007 at 1:35 PM
Sounds like you may have not registered your GUIDs at the SimPE website. You definitely should do that, especially if you're offering these files for other people to download. You need to register a username there and then use the Get GUID link in each Object Data file to get a new, original GUID. It's not enough to keep a list of GUIDs that you have used, because you have no way of knowing if someone else has used the same GUIDs without registering. In any case, I'm glad the problem was solved!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#7 Old 15th Feb 2007 at 1:18 PM
I don't offer my downloads anywhere--even when I was making Sims 1 stuff, I have registered with SimPE for a user name but there are objects I have scrapped & could reuse the same guide for something else but the site has no way of keeping track of that or I don't know how to work it. I know what to do now to get SimPE to catch every guide in the folder. Thank you again for your time.
kay
Locked thread | Locked by: IgnorantBliss Reason: problem solved