Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 27th Jan 2024 at 3:46 AM
Default Seasons Cloud Glitch
Is there any fix for Seasons Cloud Glitch apart from save and reload?
https://simsvip.com/2013/02/22/seas...h-aurora-skies/
Advertisement
Field Researcher
#2 Old 8th Feb 2024 at 3:07 PM Last edited by thesims1depot : 8th Feb 2024 at 4:20 PM.
Just by coincidence, I was researching this issue after I had to fresh install Windows on two computers. I thought I'd found the permanent fix, but found jumped the gun, which is why I deleted my post. But then I started experimenting and think I have some solutions.

I'm not sure if you can get rid of this permanently, but here's what I noticed was different about my fresh installs from my previous ones, which seemed to have made a huge difference in how much this bug crops up. I only had it come up one time in multiple sessions, as opposed to every other game play session:

1. I disabled my third party antivirus software, AVG. So, if you have a third party software, you might want to experiment with using Windows or an alternative.

2. AMD and Nvidia each have a client meant to optimize games. I noticed that if I didn't have AMD's Adrenalin Edition running, I'd have this issue. So, if you have Nvidia Experience or AMD Adrenalin Edition, use the client to launch the game and make sure that it's launching using the correct file (ts3w.exe).

3. Make sure the game recognizes your card using the Sims 3 GPU Add-On Support from Nexus mods. I've heard so many people say that you don't need to go through this, but you do, because without it, the game will make caps to your GPU's capabilities because of a file called GraphicsRules.

4. When you're sure that the card is recognized, go into your GraphicsRules.sgr file and tweak the settings listed here: https://sims.fandom.com/wiki/Game_g...aphicsRules.sgr

5. Delete cache files, as well as any files in DCBackup EXCEPT ccmerged (do not delete ccmerged!).

ETA (because I forgot these as well):

6. Make sure that Enabled Advance Rendering is enabled (see reference thread): https://modthesims.info/t/462885

7. Make sure that you have your in-game graphics are set high enough. They don't have to be uber, but I did notice that if I had the settings for visual effects, reflections, etc. set low, the glitch would appear.

Hoped this helped.
Top Secret Researcher
#3 Old 8th Feb 2024 at 4:04 PM
There is a weather profile that (usually) has no clouds. It's called "Clear" with (usually) no clouds displaying (which means no auroras either). It's one of the 5 weather profiles that came with Seasons: Clear, Partly Cloudy, Overcast, Stormy, Custom. They are cycled through during a sim day and night as determined by the ini-files. They do have different probabilities to appear, but overall it's random in which order they come. The probability and visibility of clouds is unique to each weather/lighting configuration. Aurora Skies has a different set of ini-files and colour ramps than say Bridgeport. There are also tons of custom weather/lighting mods out there, though they are not always that unique and often tweak only small details.

Did you check if it might be just that? A clear sky that transitions into clear sky again and again instead of into another profile? You could get the weather mod from here: https://modthesims.info/d/481816/ti...ns-version.html which allows you to immediately change the overcast (not the weather, just the overcast).
Field Researcher
#4 Old 9th Feb 2024 at 4:15 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Norn
There is a weather profile that (usually) has no clouds. It's called "Clear" with (usually) no clouds displaying (which means no auroras either). It's one of the 5 weather profiles that came with Seasons: Clear, Partly Cloudy, Overcast, Stormy, Custom. They are cycled through during a sim day and night as determined by the ini-files. They do have different probabilities to appear, but overall it's random in which order they come. The probability and visibility of clouds is unique to each weather/lighting configuration. Aurora Skies has a different set of ini-files and colour ramps than say Bridgeport. There are also tons of custom weather/lighting mods out there, though they are not always that unique and often tweak only small details.

Did you check if it might be just that? A clear sky that transitions into clear sky again and again instead of into another profile? You could get the weather mod from here: https://modthesims.info/d/481816/ti...ns-version.html which allows you to immediately change the overcast (not the weather, just the overcast).

The OP is talking about a glitch in which more than half the time you get a blank sky, not simply a case of starting out with one, and then it never changing. Here's how you know the sky has glitched.

1. It's the first sky you get as soon as you load a save, when the last time you had saved there were clouds. So, if you saved with a purple and pink sunset in the early evening, then reload, the sky turns up blank. If you had saved with dark storm clouds and reload, the same thing happens. If you reload the game from main menu, the correct sky comes back again.

2. You get this blank sky regardless of weather or temperature, and the daylight doesn't change to match either. So, when it's supposed to be raining or snowing, there's no overcast lighting. It's bright daylight.

I suppose a person could use a mod, but the issue seems to result from some type of system configuration issue. I know this because like I said in the previous post, I haven't had this problem since reinstalling The Sims and going through every system tweak with a fine toothed comb. I know the issue has been more or less fixed on both computers because on the off chance that I get a blank sky, clouds always start showing up 3-4 sim hours later, which is supposed to happen (see below). Before, that never happened.
Screenshots