Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 15th Oct 2010 at 5:39 AM Last edited by magicsimmer : 15th Oct 2010 at 7:01 AM.
Default A question for smart "techies"...
I am currently playing a Sim Household that hosts about 32 Sims...I know, I know you are probably wondering why and how is it possible, and you must think I'm crazy but...

My computer is a beastly ASUS G70 with I7 processor core, 8 Gig Memory and an ATI Radeon HD 5870 yadda yadda. So in my case, my computer is able to handle all these Sims...

My question unpacks like this, my game runs smoothly most of the time, and my Sims are pretty much doing their own things and catering do their needs with very high free will. There are times when my game will just crash and places me back to Desktop...

I definitely expect this, and I am not frustrated about this. My question is for those really "high minded" techies out there who can possibly explain why the crashing occurs?

I do save often, and I don't run my game on high speed but medium speed and normal speed. I just want to know the technical reasons why it crashes and goes back to desktop.

If you can explain in "layman" terms, the better! Consider this post a personal research of mine, just for to satisfy my curiosity. Thanks!

PS: I am not using any Mods, except when I "added" my Sims to my large household. After that procedure, I removed the Mods immediately and made it seem as if no Mods were applied initially.

Update: With a few trial runs and meticulous observation runs, I might have a hunch that the "crashing back to desktop" maybe due to the glitch of the Sim's walking pathway either being disrupted or somewhat altered. Also, I find when Sims collide in stair openings, things start to get buggy...
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#2 Old 15th Oct 2010 at 10:38 AM
The bug what you are experiencing is not uncommon in the sims world. It is casued by a random bug whcih the game cannot continue and crashes. It is called Crash to desktop syndrome. You are running 64 bit os whcih is dicused to be the issue where the sims attempts to read more than 2 gbs of ram and fails and here are some workarounds http://www.modthesims.info/wiki.php...ash_workarounds
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#3 Old 15th Oct 2010 at 12:11 PM
You will also often see crashes like this when the game becomes too much of a memory hog. Saving regularly helps avoid this, but playing 32 sims will counteract that effect nicely.

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.