Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Instructor
Original Poster
#1 Old 14th Oct 2009 at 1:38 AM Last edited by wndy26 : 21st Oct 2009 at 9:20 PM.
Default Trading Spaces - A Sims 2 Decorating Challenge - Apps Open till 10-24-09 Midnight
Welcome to Trading Spaces – A Sims 2 Decorating Challenge!

Join us as we watch families face off in a decorating challenge.
Each redecorating two rooms with a budget of only 10,000 simoleons.
Can your family succeed?

This is a Sims 2 Only Decorating Challenge!
Each entrant is to create a family to participate in the show.
A family must consist of a father, mother, and at least one child.
Families do not have to be human.
Photoshopping is ALLOWED for adding frames and softening photos only.
Please do not edit the main content of your photos!
MTS2 and/or Free Custom Content Only!
You will be required to build and upload a home – so please use custom content sparingly.
All custom content used must have a cost associated with it - no free floors!
If you do not wish to download custom content please refrain from participating in this challenge!

Family Name (User) - Round Link
1. Frumdakold Family (Deatherella) - Application
2. The Pool's (jewaukeela) - Application

Entrants will be judged on several points: budget; creativity; uniqueness; design; rules followed.
Each main judge will have a set amount of FAVIO points that they can award to their favorite rooms during Round 2.

Main Judges
1. coldfloral
2. thatgirlashley
3. missroxor
Emergency Judges:

Application Round: Meet the Challenge Families and See Their Homes
Each entrant is to build and decorate a home of their choice – using custom content sparingly.
This home will be saved and uploaded with your application round along with a list of any custom content included/required.
For this reason, we are limited to MTS2 and/or free custom content only.
Feel free to add links to the content to ease in downloading.
**As well, please list any Sims 2 EP's and Stuff Packs you use if different from what's listed on your MTS profile.

I have created a slide show tutorial for those that need help packaging their lots.
Also, be sure to read the "Tips" section at the bottom of this post -
there are lots of helpful tips and links to other items that may be of assistance.

For the application round, please include an introduction to your family including a group photo.
Then each family member must tell us about themselves, including personality traits and the room they want to see redone on the show.
Include a personal photo of each family member within their room choice and an overhead layout view of the room.
Remember to have family members tell us what they like and dislike about the room!
Photos to include:
Family Portrait
Individual Portraits of Members in their selected rooms
(minimum 3 photos)
Overhead view of each room.
(minimum 3 photos)

Applications are due by Saturday, October 24, 2009 at midnight!

Round One: The Switch

Round Two: The Rooms

Round Three: Reactions

Tips
Wondering how to move sims in and out without losing all that awesome content, never fear...there is an answer to that! One way to do this is to download Simlogical's Stay-Things Shrub. Using this shrub you can set the content to stay put when you move your sims in and out. All you do is place the item in your downloads folder then place the shrub on your lot (which can be found in the garden/shrubs section of your catalog) and click on it to select and keep all the current objects just before you move your sim out. Detailed instructions are found on Simlogical's site at the link above.

Dont want to use a mod? Try this:
Package the lot, scan it with CleanInstaller, remove the family, then save the file. (Remember to give the file a new name when saving or it will fail) Upload the new house file without the family. You can get CleanInstaller (and the instructions for using it) here: http://sims2pack.modthesims2.com/

While researching for the best/optimal way to make this contest work for all of us I found a cheat that we will probably need to utilize. As the application round finishes and I begin compiling the list of who will trade what homes I got to thinking about custom content/expansion packs. I will attempt to try to match each entrant with another entrant that has similar expansion/stuff packs but it may not be perfect. To aid in assisting each of you with only decorating using objects from expansions/stuff packs the other has you will need to turn on this cheat while decorating: boolprop ShowCatalogEPFlags [true/false] This will flag all non-basegame objects and let you know what expansion/stuff pack it is from.

As was posted in another contest by boolPropped contests are limited to either TS2 OR TS3. If enough people are interested in using TS3, I will follow up this contest with a TS3 version. Just PM me if your interested. For this contest we will remain only TS2.

For assistance in taking great photos for this contest please read Screenshot Basics posted on MTS specifically for creators (but also works well for contests!)
Advertisement
retired moderator
#2 Old 14th Oct 2009 at 1:39 AM
Contest Approved
Begins 10.13.09
Ends 11.13.09
  • Do not post replies and/or contest applications before the contest host has checked in on this thread, or your post will be deleted.
  • DO NOT WRITE USELESS POSTS like "Hey cool contest, I think I might join." Reserve type posts and useless posts about coming back with an application will be deleted.

Formerly known as boolPropped
Instructor
Original Poster
#3 Old 14th Oct 2009 at 1:52 AM
Host checking in! Lets get the apps rolling!
Test Subject
#4 Old 14th Oct 2009 at 11:38 PM
i want to be a judge please, ive judged a couple before.
Forum Resident
#5 Old 14th Oct 2009 at 11:49 PM
I have a few questions, as if we get enough contestants, this will be a fun challenge.

-Is the Sims 2 Store stuff allowed?

-I don't want to upload to MTS. I'd rather upload to my LJ and place a link there. Is that possible? If we're not uploading to MTS, can we use a minimal amount of pay CC (eg. some build mode items) as we won't be violating MTSs uploading policy.

-I'm assuming that, for the application round, we are building and decorating the house that will be redecorated throughout the contest. Will the house be redecorated by a different contestant, is this the reason for uploading? I'm not familiar with the program 'Trading Spaces', so I'm not sure what it exactly entails.

Thanks!
Scholar
#6 Old 15th Oct 2009 at 3:51 AM
Can I create my family out of Sims already cluttering up my Sim Bin? I have so many piled up from all the contests and playing I've done that I really don't want to make a whole new family when I can throw one together out of characters already in a hood.

Also, what size house are we talking here? Just your basic starter home large enough for our family? Do we include our family in the upload? Or must I build a house, package it, then put my family in? My game lags when I do a lot of building, just trying to save time.

1st Place : Superb Sibling, Hearts Consume the Stars Contests
2nd place : Daddy N Me Cycle 2 Alien Edition, Sims Real Estate Contests
3rd Place : World Zombie Model Agency Contest
4th Placce : Aspiration N Me, Maxis Makeover Home Edition, My Girl, Stages of Life, SRE Cycle 2 Contests
Instructor
Original Poster
#7 Old 15th Oct 2009 at 7:52 AM Last edited by wndy26 : 15th Oct 2009 at 8:12 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by thatgirlashley
i want to be a judge please, ive judged a couple before.

Happy to have you...I will get you added. Thanks!

Quote: Originally posted by Tenielle
-Is the Sims 2 Store stuff allowed?

Store stuff is not allowed as much of that content is not free. The reason why we can't use it will be apparent below.

-I don't want to upload to MTS. I'd rather upload to my LJ and place a link there. Is that possible? If we're not uploading to MTS, can we use a minimal amount of pay CC (eg. some build mode items) as we won't be violating MTSs uploading policy.

You can use your own link but pay content is not allowed as including it with your house upload violates the original creator's terms of use.

-I'm assuming that, for the application round, we are building and decorating the house that will be redecorated throughout the contest. Will the house be redecorated by a different contestant, is this the reason for uploading? I'm not familiar with the program 'Trading Spaces', so I'm not sure what it exactly entails.

The way the contest will work - provided we have enough contestants - each of you will upload a house and photos of your family in that house showing images of the rooms your family members want to see redone. I will set up a list of what families will be swapping homes. You will download your assigned home and once the decorating is completed, you will re-upload the home you decorated and give it back to the original owner - including a shopping list so that when they load the house and visit it - all the new items you decorated with will be present - which explains why pay content will not work for this contest.

Any pay content included will be a point deduction.

Quote: Originally posted by Deatherella
Can I create my family out of Sims already cluttering up my Sim Bin?...

Also, what size house are we talking here? Just your basic starter home large enough for our family? Do we include our family in the upload? Or must I build a house, package it, then put my family in? My game lags when I do a lot of building, just trying to save time.

Deatherella - you can use any family you would like. We will not be uploading any families - just the home you build for your family. The home does not have to be spectacular or huge in size and should not have too much custom content. Our decorating budget is 10k to be split between two rooms. Your family members will each choose a room and tell us what they would like to see different - so the house definitely doesn't need to be perfect. You will be getting your house back with two rooms decorated by another entrant before the contest is over. Contestants will not be knocking down major walls or rebuilding the house. The outside walls must remain as they are.

NOTE!
For the application round - once you get your house built, package it up for uploading then move your family in and take your photos for the entry. After, you will need to move the family back to the sim bin and wait for Round 1 instructions.

Oh! And I thought I would mention - I am working on building a 3 bedroom house for a prize - I will include screen shots as soon as I finish landscaping and decorating.
Forum Resident
#8 Old 15th Oct 2009 at 8:36 AM
Thanks for answering my questions, wndy26, I'll get an application in if I get time!
Instructor
Original Poster
#9 Old 15th Oct 2009 at 8:42 AM
I think I should mention this - it can be difficult to move sims in and out of homes without losing everything you buy for the home. One way to do this is to download Simlogical's Stay-Things Shrub. Using this shrub you can set the content to stay put when you move your sims in and out. All you do is place the item in your downloads folder then place the shrub (which can be found in the garden/shrubs section of your catalog) and tell it to keep all the current objects just before you move your sim out. Detailed instructions are found on Simlogical's site at the link above.
Test Subject
#10 Old 15th Oct 2009 at 2:49 PM
thanks! i cant wait lets see those apps
Inventor
#11 Old 17th Oct 2009 at 2:13 AM
i'll upload asap! sounds like a great idea, i've been waiting on this for a while
Instructor
Original Poster
#12 Old 18th Oct 2009 at 11:05 PM
Looking forward to seeing your entry jewaukeela! Now I hope we get more apps so we can continue the contest...we also need another judge and at least one or two EJ's.
The other one
#13 Old 19th Oct 2009 at 1:20 AM Last edited by missroxor : 19th Oct 2009 at 6:21 AM.
I used to watch a British version of this called Changing Rooms, I loved it! Unfortunately I uninstalled and gave away Sims2 to make room for Sims 3 but would like to judge this. I'm not sure if I can though as I've never judged before and I'm currently in phase 2 of Sisaly's makeover contest. Does that matter?

Edit: Hah! Scratch that, I've just been knocked out the contest so am totally free to be a judge if you'll have me.
Scholar
#14 Old 19th Oct 2009 at 2:32 AM Last edited by Deatherella : 20th Oct 2009 at 8:07 AM.
Default Application - Frumdakold Family
Do you suddenly feel like you're looking at a little blonde girl saying, "They're baaaaaaaacccck . . . . "?

Justin Frumdakold has so much fun in the last contest that he was jumping up and down in the Sim Bin yelling, "Pick me! Pick me!" Of course, he had to make a few quick changes to his slightly singular status by promptly bride-napping himself a wife, Julia, and for a slam-dunk triple-run, they added their very own red-headed step-child, Jonah, to the family. Aren't they just the most adorable family you ever did see as they pose at the front stoop of one of my childhood homes? This house is almost an exact replica of a house my dad bought when I was a little kid. Take my word for it, it can be fixed. If my dad could turn it habitable, I'm sure some highly creative other contestant can do even better.

Family Wants:

Jonah

"I'm too embarassed to even bring my friends home from school with me. Somebody do something with the front room, pleeeeeeeeeeeease!"

Julia

"Trying to prepare a meal in this kitchen is like running a triatholon. Can anybody find a way for me to find my way in here?"

Justin

"I just want to sleep in my own bed!!!!"

I used next to no cc objects. It was hell. I'm ready to beg to never have to do that again. Didn't realize how totally dependent on CC I was until I went to make a house with almost none in it.
One of the zip files has the brown shingles on the exterior of the house since it is stuff I made a long time ago for some house I made in a different building contest. It's just a recolored version of the ugly expensive gray shingles in game.

CC Links:
There are only two pages you need to hit for cc.
1. Targa's "Ascension Squared" stariway at:
http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=97383
I'm not sure if I used the base mesh or one of the recolors. I don't think it listed it as a recolor before I took all the cc out of my lot pkg file.

2. Maylin's new "First Day at Home" set at:
http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=374283
The cardboard box and hanging lightbulb are the only two files needed.

I forgot my list of ep's and sp's. To sum it up, I have everything except Family Fun (which I can't find in a store anywhere around here for the last year) and the Glamour one.
Double Deluxe, Pets, OFB, Apt Life, University, Freetime, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Teen Style, K & B, IKEA, H&M Fashion.
I have no idea what came from what anymore.
Attached files:
File Type: zip  2601-2ndAvenue.zip (1.48 MB, 11 downloads) - View custom content
File Type: zip  wall_brownshingles.zip (204.1 KB, 9 downloads) - View custom content

4th Placce : Aspiration N Me, Maxis Makeover Home Edition, My Girl, Stages of Life, SRE Cycle 2 Contests
Instructor
Original Poster
#15 Old 19th Oct 2009 at 2:40 AM Last edited by wndy26 : 19th Oct 2009 at 6:44 AM.
Thanks for joining the contest Deatherella! I can't wait to see the photos! At work we are photographically challenged. (Can't view any photos from any of the photo upload sites - dang internet blockers) I will at the very least get you added to the FP. I enjoyed your intro for the family. Excellent!

Viewed the photos! Lovely work! This family's home looks in desperate need of our assistance! Can't wait to see what the changes look like!

missroxor - I apologize...I didn't see your post earlier! I will get you added to the judges list! Thanks so much for volunteering - I am super happy to have you!

Quote: Originally posted by missroxor
I used to watch a British version of this called Changing Rooms, I loved it! Unfortunately I uninstalled and gave away Sims2 to make room for Sims 3 but would like to judge this. I'm not sure if I can though as I've never judged before and I'm currently in phase 2 of Sisaly's makeover contest. Does that matter?

Edit: Hah! Scratch that, I've just been knocked out the contest so am totally free to be a judge if you'll have me.
The other one
#16 Old 19th Oct 2009 at 6:43 AM
Thanks! I've updated my signature to help get a bit extra publicity :D

Guys, rules are good! Rules help control the fun. ~ Monica E. Geller
Instructor
Original Poster
#17 Old 19th Oct 2009 at 6:45 AM
Sweet! We need more entrants!
The other one
#18 Old 19th Oct 2009 at 6:51 AM
Haha... Would help if I spelled your name correctly. Don't worry, I spotted the mistake before I posted anywhere

Field Researcher
#19 Old 19th Oct 2009 at 7:50 PM
Would we be allowed to link to required pay items that are hosted at the booty or simscave?
Instructor
Original Poster
#20 Old 19th Oct 2009 at 7:54 PM
Per MTS2 rules, I don't think it is aloud.
The other one
#21 Old 19th Oct 2009 at 8:14 PM
Wndy, In order to maybe bump up the applications is there any reason why this can't be for TS2 and TS3? Obviously you would only be able to pair up those using the same game but as long as there's an even number of applicants for each (might have to implement a rule whereby if one group is odd numbers by the deadline then the last to join has to leave) it should work out.

Only a suggestion but I know I would definitely be up for applying as a contestant if I could use TS3 :D

Instructor
Original Poster
#22 Old 19th Oct 2009 at 8:20 PM Last edited by wndy26 : 20th Oct 2009 at 2:59 AM.
I am not experienced enough in TS3 to assist anyone with custom content or uploading/sharing content - which was the reason I made it for TS2 only....will have to think about it...

If anyone is interested in participating in this contest via TS3, please PM me and let me know.

As was posted in another contest by boolPropped contests are limited to either TS2 OR TS3. If enough people are interested in using TS3, I will follow up this contest with a TS3 version. Just PM me if your interested. For this contest we will remain only TS2.
Scholar
#23 Old 19th Oct 2009 at 9:17 PM
Quote: Originally posted by wndy26
I am not experienced enough in TS3 to assist anyone with custom content or uploading/sharing content - which was the reason I made it for TS2 only....will have to think about it...

If anyone is interested in participating in this contest via TS3, please PM me and let me know.

It might help if you do allow TS3 in for more contestants. I don't know much about it, either, since I only fired it up once on my kid's pc, but if you decide to have TS3 contestants, I'll help you scour the net for helpful hints for them. But, you'd think they would already know the basics for getting cc up and off.

The other one
#24 Old 19th Oct 2009 at 9:38 PM
Ditto, I will help where I can. I'm definitely no expert but I have so far uploaded 3 houses for TS3 and downloaded a few too as well as quite a bit of CC. The only thing I've not done yet is upload CC in any of my houses but I should think a quick refresh of the uploading tutorials should sort that.

Field Researcher
#25 Old 19th Oct 2009 at 9:44 PM
Oh ok, I didn't know if it would be different since this is a contest.
Page 1 of 2