Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
MTS has all free content, all the time. Find out how YOU can help to keep it running. Tell me how...

Any Game Starter 3 [Updated: v. 2.6]

by jonha Posted 17th Jun 2010 at 12:44 PM - Updated 1st Dec 2020 at 6:34 PM by jonha

292 Comments / Replies (Who?) - 253 Feedback Posts, 38 Thanks Posts
Hide Thanks Posts for this thread (Show only feedback)
Page 10 of 12
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#226 Old 5th Nov 2011 at 7:28 PM
an we use this on pets ??
Scholar
Original Poster
#227 Old 6th Nov 2011 at 9:41 AM
Yes, sure.
Lab Assistant
#228 Old 16th Nov 2011 at 7:40 PM
I love this program! It's my favorite!
I was wondering... You know how the AGS used to pick up all the packages that were installed in C:\Program Files\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\Mods? Yeah, that was awesome, but the package files in my Program Files don't work with the latest patch... I had to move them all to C:\Documents and Settings\Me\My Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\Mods... So, might there some way to have the AGS pull from the main game's C:\My Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\Mods folder so we don't have to have a bunch of copies of the same files in My Documents? I have 2 Anygames plue my full game on my machine and I'm running an older system, so I'm running out of room on my hard drive...
The size of my hard drive is totally not your problem, I know, but I couldn't help but wonder out loud if it was even a possibility...
Thank you again for all you do! I appreciate you!
Scholar
Original Poster
#229 Old 16th Nov 2011 at 10:10 PM
I didn't tested it but I think the mods in the program file folder should still work. If not you could create some symbolic link ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NTFS_symbolic_link ) or something like that to basically have one directory included in many directories.

I don't plan to include this functionality in my tool as my tool would have to do the same (create symbolic links or duplicate/move the files on each start) which is not really a good idea performance-wise and it probably can't be done reliable automatically.
Lab Assistant
#230 Old 17th Nov 2011 at 4:12 PM
Thanks for the quick and kind response!
After patching, I kept getting this 'you have incompatible files' or some such message of the like when my full game got to the portion of the start-up that shows the mods one has installed - until I took everything out of the Program Files\Mods... It was weird, and again not your problem... I didn't go through the whole rigamarole of putting a few files back in Program Files\Mods to see if was a particular package, I just moved everything and didn't realize the consequences to my Anygames when I did it.

Anyway, it couldn't hurt to ask just in case! I understand your position and thank you for considering it!
:lovestruc
Test Subject
#231 Old 24th Nov 2011 at 4:51 PM
To Start The Game Do I Have To Have The Disc In? Was Hoping I Have Town Life And The Orgin Don't Have It In So I Could Play Without The Disc.
Scholar
Original Poster
#232 Old 24th Nov 2011 at 9:53 PM
AGS 3 only bypasses the Launcher CD check (just as if you would start the TS3W.exe directly), not the ingame one.
Destroyer of Worlds
retired moderator
#233 Old 5th Dec 2011 at 12:09 AM
I've read the FAQ and also some of the comments to see if there is a solution to my problem. It has been a good while since I used AGS. I tried to today, making new profiles and adding my new games. It tells me that:

"After the first start...registry keys need to be fixed". I proceed with admin permissions and am told that the permissions could not be changed. Please run FixRegistryRights.exe. I click okay and am then told to log in as an administrator and run .exe from program file an give the user full registry access to "HKLM\Software\(Wow6432Node\)Sims\*". I log in as admin, run, and absolutely nothing happens.

Not sure where to go from here.

EDIT: Just as an FYI, I can run the default profile fine.

Heaven Sims | Avendale Legacy
"On the internet, you can be anything you want. It's strange that so many people choose to be stupid."
Scholar
Original Poster
#234 Old 5th Dec 2011 at 10:23 PM
What OS/Which Windows version are you using?

I see three possible solutions:

- Start-Button + r -> Enter "regedit" -> hit enter -> navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Sims (fill in Wow6432Node if needed) -> right click on the "Sims" folder, change permissions, and give your user full permission to this key.

- Try again to run FixRegistryRights.exe in the program folder with admin rights. It's okay if nothing happens visibly, but after you do it, it should work.

- Changing the registry is only needed to disable expansions so it should be generally possible to use AGS3 anyway to manage different profiles, they will just use all available EPs everytime. I'm not really sure AGS3 lets you launch Profiles without being able to access the registry keys, though.
Destroyer of Worlds
retired moderator
#235 Old 6th Dec 2011 at 3:07 PM Last edited by heaven : 6th Dec 2011 at 3:20 PM.
Okay, I have tried the first 2 options. I am running Windows 7.

- Option 1 said permissions were changed when I used admin account. Switched back over to user account and it still told me the registry need to be fixed and was unable to do so.

- I've done Option 2 multiple times. Nothing visually happens but I am still unable to do run AGS in user accounts after. I CAN use it in admin though.

- As for Option 3, I am actually trying to run with all EPs I have. Just different CC profiles set up with them. (I often forget to take out CC I don't want to use for CAW, for example).

Not sure where to go from here but, my guess, I am doing something wrong. :P

EDIT: Okay, I made it work. May be considered "cheating" but it works. I just changed my user account to admin and registry rights fixed.

Heaven Sims | Avendale Legacy
"On the internet, you can be anything you want. It's strange that so many people choose to be stupid."
Scholar
Original Poster
#236 Old 6th Dec 2011 at 9:52 PM
Okay, there are a few minor issues here.

- When using Option 1 make sure you give your normal user account permissions. If you have done that and after that they still don't have permissions, something is very weird, perhaps some sort of protection software interferes?

- Option 2 is meant to be used with UAC or something like that, FixRegistryRights will try to give the currently logged in user full permissions and of course this doesn't work as expected when logged is as Admin.

But thanks for your testing and I'm glad that it works for you now, I will do additional testing and try to improve the program so that it works even when the registry can't be changed because of permissions.
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#237 Old 7th Jan 2012 at 6:20 AM
wonderfulllllllll !
Instructor
#238 Old 24th Feb 2012 at 10:43 AM
Sorry if this was asked before. I always install my games in dutch and all my back-up saves are from the dutch installs. I'll be installing TS3 on my lappy and I'd like to d o so in English this time.

Will my old dutch back-up saves work if I use AGS? And how would I go about having them work? Should I change the language to dutch first and them move my save files?

I guess the easiest way would be to install the games in dutch and just use AGS to translate everything to English but I much prefer to have them installed in English and translate to dutch if needed.

Quote:
See, that's why you need to be more like me. It's pretty obvious that I'm a big, terrible, mean person. If somebody says I am a terrible, mean person, I will just grin evilly....and be mean to them! It's good to be bad. *J.M. Pescado*
Test Subject
#239 Old 4th Mar 2012 at 10:24 AM
wooooow that's really great. need something like this for ages :P
^^ *______________________*
btw Are you german ?
Scholar
Original Poster
#240 Old 6th Mar 2012 at 3:54 PM
Quote: Originally posted by virgalibabe
Sorry if this was asked before. I always install my games in dutch and all my back-up saves are from the dutch installs. I'll be installing TS3 on my lappy and I'd like to d o so in English this time.

Will my old dutch back-up saves work if I use AGS? And how would I go about having them work? Should I change the language to dutch first and them move my save files?

I guess the easiest way would be to install the games in dutch and just use AGS to translate everything to English but I much prefer to have them installed in English and translate to dutch if needed.

You can install the game in english and then create a profile in dutch language. Then just open the profile folder and paste your backup in it.

You can also try to convert you old saves to english by just pasting you backup into an english profile (or even into the default profile) which has worked for me previously.

The reason why AGS3 doesn't allow you to change the profile language after creating it, is because the profile folders will have different paths depending in the language, not because the contents of them is necessarily incompatible.

Quote: Originally posted by Sheila30stm
btw Are you german ?

Yes, I am. But I prefer to write in english on this site, if you don't mind. Otherwise I get confused very easily, always having to switch languages.
Test Subject
#241 Old 9th Mar 2012 at 4:51 AM
Does it work with showtime and its patch?
Scholar
Original Poster
#242 Old 10th Mar 2012 at 1:59 PM
I think so. It just reads the EPs from the registry and stuff, so it only gets broken if the game file structure changes (like with Generations where the main Executable became the TS3W.exe). But I don't own Showtime so not sure, yet.
Space Pony
#243 Old 16th Mar 2012 at 4:40 PM
Love this program, been using it for a while. Anyhow I discovered that if the account you installed Sims into is not the administrative account, you'll have to run it as administrator and also the folders are created within the administrator's account. Didn't know if you knew this already or not.
Test Subject
#244 Old 20th Jul 2012 at 9:52 AM
Hi! Thanks so much for this. I have one question: I sort my mods and custom content with CC Magic, is there any way to use these two tools together?
Test Subject
#245 Old 2nd Aug 2012 at 10:22 AM
My custom content (not installed through the launcher) doesn't seem to be working.
I installed all CC as usual, but put it all in:
AnyGameStarter3\Games\Testing\Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\Mods\Packages\
I have all expansion packs except stuff packs.
Whatever I do, I can't seem to get any content to show up in the game for any profile made through AGS.
Please help me.
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#246 Old 21st Aug 2012 at 2:52 PM
hello,
Soon as the program is in French?
thank you
Test Subject
#247 Old 27th Aug 2012 at 12:10 PM
Hi, not sure if this is still being supported but I can't get any added profile to work. The default works fine, the .exe has full administrator permissions and is being run as Administrator and my account is a full admin one.
I'm using Windows 7, I have all EPs and Stuff Packs except for the Katy Perry one and my game is fully patched. The error message I keep getting is: System.InvalidOperationException: This access control list is not in canonical form and therefore cannot be modified.

I've tried with both the Any Game 2.0 version and the Any Game 2.6 one and the error is the same.

* I am not a smurf*
Lab Assistant
THANKS POST
#248 Old 4th Sep 2012 at 1:19 AM
Thanks for the awesome tool, jonha.

Is it possible to add an option to make links to the original folders instead of cloning them? I've manually added `mklink /d ...` links to my profiles, and it works like a charm. Some things, you just want to share between your games, like settings and mods. I've made a batch file that does this, if you want it.

Again, awesome tool. This is the only way to play the sims now for me.
Mad Poster
THANKS POST
#249 Old 4th Oct 2012 at 5:18 AM
This is great. Thank you, Jonha
Test Subject
#250 Old 22nd Oct 2012 at 8:06 PM
Mac Version?
Any plans for a Mac version? My PC died and I won't be replacing it so I'm now playing Sims on my MacBook, and I miss this invaluable tool desperately. Particularly since installing Supernatural - sometimes I don't want Zombies everywhere and it sucks to have to uninstall if I just want a normal game for a while!
Page 10 of 12