Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 20th Jun 2009 at 9:42 PM
Default Installation doesn't start at all
I have the same problem (I think) as the person in (this post ), e.g. that when I put the DVD in the drive to install Sims 3, nothing happens. Nothing at all. . No error messages, no move, no signs that the PC is working. When I try to find the installation file through "explore", it can't even find the DVD and when I click on the drive it says "insert disc"...

Computer specifications:
Operating System: Windows Vista™ Home Premium (6.0, Build 6001) Service Pack 1 installed
System Manufacturer: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
System Model: 946GMX-S2
BIOS: Award Modular BIOS v6.00PG
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz (4 CPUs), ~2.4GHz
Memory: 2046MB RAM
Page File: 1132MB used, 3202MB available

There is as far as I can understand no mechanical fault with the drive itself. Other games (including Sims 2) runs smoothly, and I have no problem what so ever with other DVDs. Drivers are up to date (I double checked when this happend), as is windows update.

There is as far as I can see nothing wrong with the DVD itself either. I tried it on my friends computer and the installation program starts immediately (he has XP, but I don't know if this is a "Vista issue").

I'm very unhappy about this, so any help is much appreciated...

Last night I dreamed I ate a ten-pound marshmallow, and when I woke up the pillow was gone. (Tommy Cooper)
Advertisement
shiny!
retired moderator
#2 Old 20th Jun 2009 at 9:51 PM
Are you sure you have a DVD Drive and not just a CD Drive?

I'm also wondering how you checked for driver updates.

If there's nothing wrong with the drive or the DVD then you must have some sort of software conflict. Try this trick: http://modthesims.info/showpost.php...45&postcount=21

ETA: Btw unless you have a dedicated card installed your computer doesn't meet minimum requirements to play the game. Having integrated graphics requires 2.5GB of RAM minimum, and nobody we've seen has had good luck with that board's onboard chip, even when the rest of the system is strong.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#3 Old 20th Jun 2009 at 10:16 PM
Thank you for getting back on my question so quickly, I sounded desperate didn't I?

Quote: Originally posted by callistra
Are you sure you have a DVD Drive and not just a CD Drive?

Absolutly. I have a "HL-DT-ST DVD-RAM GSA-H50L ATA Device" it says in the properties. My Sims 2 is also a DVD version and plays without problems.

I'm also wondering how you checked for driver updates.
By right clicking on the drive from Explore, ->Properties -> Hardware or machineware (Don't know the English term ), marking the drive as written above, -> Properties -> Change settings -> Driver -> Driver details -> Update driver.

If there's nothing wrong with the drive or the DVD then you must have some sort of software conflict. Try this trick: http://modthesims.info/showpost.php...45&postcount=21

I will follow this now to the point, and if it helps:
- and then I will let you know either way

ETA: Btw unless you have a dedicated card installed your computer doesn't meet minimum requirements to play the game. Having integrated graphics requires 2.5GB of RAM minimum, and nobody we've seen has had good luck with that board's onboard chip, even when the rest of the system is strong.

I'm not sure if this is what you mean, but I have a NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GTX/9800 GTX+ and from what my computerwizzard friends have told me, that's more than enough. Sorry for not providing that info in the first place...

Last night I dreamed I ate a ten-pound marshmallow, and when I woke up the pillow was gone. (Tommy Cooper)
shiny!
retired moderator
#4 Old 20th Jun 2009 at 10:31 PM
Quote:
By right clicking on the drive from Explore, ->Properties -> Hardware or machineware (Don't know the English term ), marking the drive as written above, -> Properties -> Change settings -> Driver -> Driver details -> Update driver.

Yeah that doesn't work. All that does is connect to Windows Update and updating drives that way is a bad idea. I can't tell you how many times Windows tries to install outdated or the wrong drivers. VERY rarely will you actually be provided with good current drivers. Best way to get drivers is either from the manufacturer of the part (Gigabyte for your motherboard, etc) or the company that put together the system.

I don't know that it will help but it certainly cant hurt to run through and make sure all your drivers are up to date:

Graphics: http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us
Motherboard: http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Pro...x?ProductID=816
LAN: http://america.giga-byte.com/FileLi..._8111_vista.exe
Audio (unless you've installed a separate sound card yourself): http://america.giga-byte.com/FileLi...ltek_azalia.exe

Your GPU is good. The motherboard has a graphics chip on it but it also has the option of installing a real graphics card. You have one.
Lab Assistant
#5 Old 20th Jun 2009 at 11:41 PM
I have the exact same problem, my pc doesn't recognise that there is a disc in the DVD drive at all - everything else plays fine including TS2: AL. It's been suggested to me that it is probably one of three things; the disc is faulty (a known issue with TS3 discs), the DVD drive is on it's way out or too new/too old drivers. I haven't established the cause with my pc yet.

However, whilst I don't have a solution, I do have an 'okay' work-around; you can download the digital version for free as long as you have the serial code for the game you purchased.

I assume you'll have to register/set up an account at EA.com if you don't already have one (I don't think it can be done from the TS3 site) and you will definitely have to download the EA Download Manager (EADM) as well. Just follow the steps/instructions and enter the serial code when prompted leaving out the hyphens. It is the legitmate process for when people have lost or damaged discs.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#6 Old 21st Jun 2009 at 5:15 PM
A BIG thanks to both of you! Since it seemed like the least complicated sollution, and since I already had installed EADM, I downloaded the game in digital version and had no problems. It took a loooooong time, but now the game runs without problems and I am very happy! )