Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Banned
Original Poster
#1 Old 27th Dec 2009 at 9:30 AM
Default What is with download sites that require a login?
Some even force you to sign-up and log-in to see PICTURES. What do people do this for? Is it the thrill of having 60,000 registered users who visited once for one thing?

I'm so tired of coming across links to things I want only to find I have to register to get it, or to even see pics to be sure I want it!

Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 27th Dec 2009 at 11:41 AM
The sites that "force" you to register are trying actually to stem the theft of creations from their site. It's a well-known problem that there are creators who have no conscience when it comes to making off with others work.
Forum Resident
#3 Old 27th Dec 2009 at 12:43 PM
Tell me about it. I'm tired of jumping through hoops just to get this one thing off some random site I'll never visit again.
Test Subject
#4 Old 27th Dec 2009 at 12:41 PM
I don't mind registering to download things, but what is it with the questions at MATY? Is it some way of making that site "by invitation only"? If so I wish they'd just say that.
transmogrified
retired moderator
#5 Old 27th Dec 2009 at 12:52 PM
Since no one needs to register to download at MATY, that seems irrelevant.
Instructor
#6 Old 27th Dec 2009 at 1:17 PM
I just know that if any site requires me to register to view their content, I will find another site that offers me what I want without the registration.
Test Subject
#7 Old 27th Dec 2009 at 1:22 PM
Quote: Originally posted by mangaroo
Since no one needs to register to download at MATY, that seems irrelevant.

You are quite right. Why did I try to register there a while back? idk. Ignore me, I'm evidently a duffer.
Mad Poster
#8 Old 27th Dec 2009 at 3:01 PM
It's even worse when you go back two months later and see that they've deleted your account because of inactivity on the site or force you to have a certain number of posts before you can download some things.
Banned
Original Poster
#9 Old 27th Dec 2009 at 5:56 PM
Quote: Originally posted by jooxis
I just know that if any site requires me to register to view their content, I will find another site that offers me what I want without the registration.

Mhm. I wanted cat ears/tails and there was only one site I found with them. But it requires a registration. I'd rather not have them than support the "register-to-use-us-once" policy.
Typical
#10 Old 27th Dec 2009 at 6:29 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Sarah D
I don't mind registering to download things, but what is it with the questions at MATY? Is it some way of making that site "by invitation only"? If so I wish they'd just say that.

Well, you can use 'Google' or another search engine, which is one of the clues.

It's not difficult to register. I mean, if you're not gonna go back to the site just type any random crap into the username and password boxes. That is, if you're not going to go back to it.
Former Hamster
retired moderator
#11 Old 27th Dec 2009 at 6:52 PM
Theft has already been mentioned and it's a good point. There's also the issue of spam. It's a lot easier to ban a registered spammer than it is to ban a random guest who keeps coming back just to post spam. (You can also run a user name, IP address or Email through a spam checker before approving the registration.) Trust me, I've had to ban a person or two, or three..
Personally, I'd rather not have to register at a site just to get one or two things. But, I do understand why site owners set their sites up like that. And if you can look around without having to register- there's a chance you'll find more stuff you want or find a creator who's future uploads you might want. Those sites I don't mind as much. It's the ones you have to register at to even look around that I leave.
Banned
Original Poster
#12 Old 27th Dec 2009 at 6:57 PM
But that's the thing. Registering to post is fine. That does prevent spamming and such. but to download and see pictures? There's no point.
Test Subject
#13 Old 27th Dec 2009 at 10:01 PM
Quote: Originally posted by lewjen
Well, you can use 'Google' or another search engine, which is one of the clues.

I know, I did, way back when I first thought I needed/wanted to register there. Fascinating stuff, and I always have time for Python, but I'm left with the distinct feeling that I'm just not clever enough to figure out the exact answers they want. Which probably means I'm not clever enough to register with them. Which definately means I no longer want to. Efficient system, I'll give them that.
Banned
#14 Old 28th Dec 2009 at 12:42 AM
Well you *do* have to register at mts in order to download from here. No one complains about that. I can certainly understand where you're coming from when sites don't allow guests to view pages at all. I think that's a little over the top. Some sites will allow you to download without logging in, and some sites (like mts) allow you to view pages without registering, but you must log in to download. It really is a hassle for sites to not allow guests to view pages, because I know I have things on sites like that, and I'd like to provide a link to someone, but they can't see the page, because they are a guest. It's rather frustrating.
transmogrified
retired moderator
#15 Old 28th Dec 2009 at 12:53 AM
Quote:
Well you *do* have to register at mts in order to download from here.

You don't need to register, but you do need to log in to download. Anyone interested in understanding that paradox should read the site guidelines.
Lab Assistant
#16 Old 28th Dec 2009 at 12:58 AM
I don't mind registering to download. It's those websites that want you to post XX amount of times before you can download something. This actually encourages spamming because people will just say "thanks" or "great" on random topics so they can get what they came for and leave.
Alchemist
#17 Old 28th Dec 2009 at 5:04 AM
it only really annoys me to register if the site doesnt have much that i see that i can like.

MTS has loooooooooooooooooooooooooads of good stuff on it. so, of course, i registered. but for a site that either wont let me even preview the items before deciding i want it, or dont have much to offer that isnt of high quality, i pass 'em up. not worth the moments out of my life to click, type, frustrate [ usually when picking a name, people always have the good ones taken, and its especially a pain for those communities that require registration to view/download and thus have a million people registered, even if more than half havnt logged in for years... ] myself, click, type, copy, paste, click click click...etc.

"The more you know, the sadder you get."~ Stephen Colbert
"I'm not going to censor myself to comfort your ignorance." ~ Jon Stewart
Versigtig, ek's nog steeds fokken giftig