Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
MTS has all free content, all the time. Find out how YOU can help to keep it running. Tell me how...

Variable Career Metrics Updated and Extended

by kidhedera Posted 22nd Feb 2015 at 1:25 PM - Updated 22nd Feb 2015 at 11:29 PM by kidhedera

36 Comments / Replies (Who?) - 16 Feedback Posts, 19 Thanks Posts
Hide Thanks Posts for this thread (Show only feedback)
Page 1 of 2
Forum Resident
THANKS POST
#2 Old 22nd Feb 2015 at 1:36 PM
This was so necessary, and makes the game a little more difficult. Thank you
Lab Assistant
THANKS POST
#3 Old 22nd Feb 2015 at 5:53 PM
This looks really interesting! Thanks for taking the time to do this, I can't wait to try it!
Theorist
#4 Old 22nd Feb 2015 at 6:44 PM Last edited by Sophie-David : 22nd Feb 2015 at 7:04 PM.
Thank you, this looks like a great mod!

Does the mod add options for career advancement, or extra requirements for career advancement? For example, does the Military require Martial Arts for levels 1-10, or is Martial Arts just an alternative to get the points for promotion?
Theorist
#5 Old 22nd Feb 2015 at 9:37 PM
Most of it makes a lot of sense...but snake charming for Orchestra career should really be a separate thing

#BlairWitchPetition
TS3 NEEDS: TENNIS COURTS > BUSES > PIGS/SHEEP
Can't find stuff in build and buy mode? http://www.nexusmods.com/thesims3/mods/1/?
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#6 Old 22nd Feb 2015 at 11:27 PM
Hi all!

I think I need to reword the description a little bit. This mod only adds extra OPTIONS, not extra requirements! Its a matter of OR, not AND, alternatives not requirements!
For example the snake charming... you don't have to learn snake charming for the music career. BUT if you are playing a musician and you level snake charming faster than any other valid musical skill it will count towards your promotion requirements. (I agree snake charming is silly, but it was in the original mod, so I left it.)

Another example, say you are playing a new hip young politician character, who runs their own blog. They can use Social Networking to advance their career, but it will be *instead of* Charisma until level 10. However if you are playing an old fuddy duddy politician (and/or you hate the smart phone and social networking skill), you can ignore the social networking skill and carry on using charisma to earn promotions as if the social networking possibility doesn't even exist.
Instructor
#7 Old 22nd Feb 2015 at 11:59 PM
I think it's great to have alternatives but I'm not sure how I will know which new ones are available for each career from within the game. Using your example of the political career, I assume that if a Sim is higher in the Social Networking skill than Charisma, then Social Networking will show in the list of required skills rather than Charisma. If that Sim's skill in Charisma becomes greater than Social Networking, then Charisma shows up instead?
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#8 Old 23rd Feb 2015 at 12:08 AM
@fxchrfxchr Thats right. By default it just shows whatever the base game default skill is, but once you have a higher skill in an alternative it switches over.
I tried to stick with things that seem obviously related to the other skills in the category (pairing martial arts with athletics, or charisma with social networking, or science with logic etc), so hopefully its not too hard to figure out a valid alternative skill.
Theorist
#9 Old 23rd Feb 2015 at 3:44 AM
Quote: Originally posted by kidhedera
I think I need to reword the description a little bit. This mod only adds extra OPTIONS, not extra requirements! Its a matter of OR, not AND, alternatives not requirements!
Thank you, that's great!
Forum Resident
THANKS POST
#10 Old 23rd Feb 2015 at 10:10 AM
Thank you for this. It always seemed a little off that Science didn't count towards Medicine, for instance. I understood why; not everyone would have the EPs, so EA had to make things base game (or that EP only) compatible. Your mod makes things workable for everything. I can't thank you enough!
Test Subject
#11 Old 23rd Feb 2015 at 12:01 PM
very nice! and I have wished to know how to do this for ages...Thanks thanks thanks! because I have had a lot of complaints about the careers system, especially after university, and being able to solve this one has always been a must! I mean, really, medical career and no science skill? what was that about? next would be better level names , hours and pays. Although the last one is a bit tough, as I would think it should be related to each player's life span options.

Hoard - Collect - File - Index
Catalog-Preserve-Amass-Index
Lab Assistant
THANKS POST
#12 Old 25th Feb 2015 at 4:14 AM
YES! You are awesome!
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#13 Old 25th Feb 2015 at 6:36 AM
Thanks! Much needed!! Great job!!
Alchemist
#14 Old 26th Feb 2015 at 7:34 AM
Sims MX had an Awesome version that is to make sure it's compatible with AwesomeMod. Are you going to make a version of it?

Just call me Nikel
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#15 Old 26th Feb 2015 at 2:01 PM
This is awesome!! Thank you so much!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#16 Old 26th Feb 2015 at 3:31 PM
Quote: Originally posted by nikel23
Sims MX had an Awesome version that is to make sure it's compatible with AwesomeMod. Are you going to make a version of it?

I've never used Awesome mod, and I'm honestly not sure what the difference is, or what the conflict is or how I would ensure it was working... so I'm not comfortable making that version. Sorry! Hopefully someone else will be inspired to try updating it for Awesome mod?
Field Researcher
THANKS POST
#17 Old 27th Feb 2015 at 8:34 PM
Thank you so, so much! This will make the careers a lot more fun
Lab Assistant
#18 Old 7th Mar 2015 at 6:18 PM Last edited by theapoo : 7th Mar 2015 at 10:35 PM.
The mod will probably work fine if it is installed at a higher priority than Awesome. For example, I have two subfolders in my mods folder, Overrides and Packages. In my resource.cfg, my overrides folder is given a higher priority than my packages folder. Someone who uses Awesomemod (like myself) can probably just put Awesomemod in the packages folder and this mod in the overrides folder. I will give it a try myself and see what happens.

I have Nraas Mods as well as Awesome, and it is the same situation there. I have Awesome in my packages folder and all my Nraas mods in my overrides folder. I haven't had a problem.

EDIT: Nevermind, I see that SimsMX had mentioned installing the Awesome-compatible version on a higher priority than Awesome. That sucks, because I use Awesome. Perhaps I can open both versions of the original mod in S3PE and try to see what's different between them.
Lab Assistant
#19 Old 7th Mar 2015 at 10:28 PM
I have a question. At level 8 of the symphonic branch of the music career, logic is required. My question is, will the logic skill still be necessary at that point? Or can Sims develop a second instrument skill instead of Logic?
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#20 Old 11th Mar 2015 at 11:33 AM
Quote: Originally posted by theapoo
I have a question. At level 8 of the symphonic branch of the music career, logic is required. My question is, will the logic skill still be necessary at that point? Or can Sims develop a second instrument skill instead of Logic?

I believe that it will still require logic.
Lab Assistant
THANKS POST
#21 Old 21st Mar 2015 at 9:25 PM
I've been hoping for an update to this mod for ages. Thank you!
Test Subject
#22 Old 22nd Mar 2015 at 10:58 AM
Will this mod conflict with twallan´s career mod or with all the custom careers I already downloaded?
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#23 Old 22nd Apr 2015 at 10:01 AM
Quote: Originally posted by SuperKatha2000
Will this mod conflict with twallan´s career mod or with all the custom careers I already downloaded?

It wont conflict with Twallan's or with custom mods so long as the Careers XML isn't edited. The quickest an easiest way to check if you aren't certain is to use Delphy's dashboard.
Forum Resident
THANKS POST
#24 Old 25th May 2015 at 8:17 PM
Thank you for this!!! I didnt want all my musicians to have to play guitar to get anywhere. :P
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#25 Old 13th Jul 2015 at 12:51 AM
Fantastic-- I've always wondered why EA didn't include this sort of thing to begin with. :)
Page 1 of 2