Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#1 Old 3rd Mar 2007 at 3:07 PM
Default i wont be able too use the rain and hail unless i have the sound turned right down
i have a major phobia of thunderstorms and lightning in real life and just seeing it and hearing it in the game set me right off into a panic attack LOL but then again maybe i can use the game to try and help me with them i dunno.its good that maxis/ea is reallistic but for me its maybea bit too realistic
Advertisement
Coffee, anyone?
retired moderator
#2 Old 3rd Mar 2007 at 3:11 PM
Solution: Uninstall if you don't want to turn the sound off. Maybe a security blankie will help? LOL

I'm worried that my latest Salvation Army donation will result in homeless people looking like sluts from the 90s.
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#3 Old 3rd Mar 2007 at 3:13 PM
naaa i lOve it too much ill just have to USE winter spring and fall LOL
Coffee, anyone?
retired moderator
#4 Old 3rd Mar 2007 at 3:17 PM
Pity you won't be able to use summer. Planting crops in summer yields huge results, as does harvesting certain crops in summer. On a side note: I had an Aunt in her 70's that still hid under the bed during storms. LOL

I'm worried that my latest Salvation Army donation will result in homeless people looking like sluts from the 90s.
Lab Assistant
#5 Old 3rd Mar 2007 at 3:18 PM
lol you know what i have the same issue, I hate thunderstorms and i jump and freak out every single time they start on the game, Im just too addicted to stop playing, and it makes for a good show for my husband who thinks its hilarious to watch me freak out.

Visit my site http://geocities.com/fairy_goddess922/

I love Plumbob!!!
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#6 Old 3rd Mar 2007 at 3:18 PM
mmmm maybe if i hear it oftern enough inthe game in real life i llget more used to storms more i could use it as a tool for that mmmm
Test Subject
#7 Old 3rd Mar 2007 at 3:22 PM
Ohhh, that sucks. Thunderstorms don't bother me, but there are other things that do, so I know what panic attacks feel like.
You could try just muting the sound or turning it right down when it starts raining, then turning it back up once the rain's stopped.
Site Helper
#8 Old 3rd Mar 2007 at 3:23 PM
If you take it carefully, the storms in the game COULD de-sensitize you to storms in real life.

And if you give it a little time, i'm sure someone will come up with a hack that puts the storms under YOUR control!

I am Ghost. My husband is sidneydoj. I post, he downloads, and I wanted to keep my post count.
Group for Avatar Makers* Funny Stories *2017 Yearbook
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#9 Old 3rd Mar 2007 at 3:25 PM
Quote: Originally posted by sidneydoj
If you take it carefully, the storms in the game COULD de-sensitize you to storms in real life.

And if you give it a little time, i'm sure someone will come up with a hack that puts the storms under YOUR control!

yeah thats what i was thinking i have had a thunderstorm phobia most of my life so maybe this could be a thing to help me i know in professinal therapies etc they use thunderstorm sounds etc so a computer game may just help me:d
Instructor
#10 Old 3rd Mar 2007 at 4:29 PM
Lol it sent my stomach churning when I first heard it haha. I was not expecting it to be so realistic... I'm used to it now after having thunder for 3 sim days o_O
Lab Assistant
#11 Old 3rd Mar 2007 at 4:31 PM
You could just mute the sound effects so you don't have to hear it?
Top Secret Researcher
#12 Old 3rd Mar 2007 at 4:49 PM
Hearing about how realistic the thunder is, I just KNOW that if I play the Sims when I go home during the holidays my dog will go absolutely mental. Pity me...>_<

I would like to clear up the little matter of my sanity as it has come into question. I am not in any way, shape, or form, sane. Insane? Hell yes!

People keep calling me 'evil.' I must be doing something right.

SilentPsycho - The Official MTS2 Psycho
Field Researcher
#13 Old 3rd Mar 2007 at 4:58 PM
LOL Silent XD

I used to fear thunderstorms when I was 3/4 years old, after those age, I started to love it It's so pretty the thunderbolts in the sky, and the sound, =D When it's night, and I'm already in the bed and it's raining, I love to see the thunderbolt light entering in my room and counting the difference of seconds from the thunderbolt, to the noise of the thunderbolt!
Top Secret Researcher
#14 Old 3rd Mar 2007 at 5:07 PM
I used to love thunderstorms, but now I hate them because they always set off my dog. She goes absolutely berserk and won't stop barking until about an hour after the thunder stops. Plus with her being a big ol' 6 stone German Shepard, the floor boards are starting to complain.XD

I would like to clear up the little matter of my sanity as it has come into question. I am not in any way, shape, or form, sane. Insane? Hell yes!

Lab Assistant
#15 Old 3rd Mar 2007 at 5:10 PM
Quote: Originally posted by SilentPsycho
I used to love thunderstorms, but now I hate them because they always set off my dog. She goes absolutely berserk and won't stop barking until about an hour after the thunder stops. Plus with her being a big ol' 6 stone German Shepard, the floor boards are starting to complain.XD

ROFL I have the same problem! My German Shepherd tried to crawl into my lap during storms...and he's massively overwieght so you can imagine how I feel about that!

I play the game with headphones, so my dogs don't really hear it much, but the first time I heard thunder in the game I came unglued and jumped out of my my chair. I was all set to power down my computer when it hit me, duh, it's a storm in the GAME, not a real one!
Theorist
#16 Old 3rd Mar 2007 at 5:13 PM
Yeah, I think the thunder in Seasons can lessen your fear of thunderstorms. You have to face your fears to overcome them, avoiding them wouldn't do anything would it? Maybe in your game you can start by having the sound effects low and turn it up just a little each time you hear the thunder? :shrug:

I have pretty much the same story as mokado...I was scared of thunderstorms when I was really young, but now I like them because they look cool! Now I always anticipate thunderstorms in The Legend Of Zelda Twilight Princess when I play it.
Top Secret Researcher
#17 Old 3rd Mar 2007 at 5:18 PM
Quote: Originally posted by EdieBird
I play the game with headphones, so my dogs don't really hear it much, but the first time I heard thunder in the game I came unglued and jumped out of my my chair. I was all set to power down my computer when it hit me, duh, it's a storm in the GAME, not a real one!

That's a good plan of action, I'd need to remember to buy some headphones. Your last sentence made me laugh though.:D

#18 Old 3rd Mar 2007 at 5:20 PM
The first time I heard the thunder, I jumped. Totally not expecting it.

Pardon me while I have a strange interlude.
Lab Assistant
#19 Old 3rd Mar 2007 at 5:23 PM
I jumped all the way through the lightning, but I don't have a phobia. The game is usually so quiet, that it just scares me. So did the helicopter the first time it came for one of my sims lol.

Why not just turn the sound down, and then gradually increase it - that would be the way to desensitise yourself to it.
Lab Assistant
#20 Old 3rd Mar 2007 at 5:58 PM
Quote: Originally posted by carlydunham
i have a major phobia of thunderstorms and lightning in real life and just seeing it and hearing it in the game set me right off into a panic attack LOL but then again maybe i can use the game to try and help me with them i dunno.its good that maxis/ea is reallistic but for me its maybea bit too realistic

awwwww :grouphug:
Instructor
#21 Old 3rd Mar 2007 at 6:09 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Derange
The first time I heard the thunder, I jumped. Totally not expecting it.

Haha me too. It was so calm before hand, not even any rain then it suddenly crashed with thunder
Lab Assistant
#22 Old 4th Mar 2007 at 12:45 AM
Having grown up in a house that attracted lighting, I also had a panic attack when I heard the thunder, but decided it was only fair since my cat has been having panic attacks from Pets whenever he hears one of the cats yowling. He may suspect that I stuffed another cat inside my monitor at this point.

As for the thunder, I have started playing with headphones that I take off when the thunder gets to be too much, though watching the lightning hit my sims house is almost as bad.
Lab Assistant
#23 Old 4th Mar 2007 at 2:00 AM
The first time there was thunder and lightning in my game I almost jumped out of my chair! Its very realistic! Shame about the man that was having a water fight outside just at the wrong time though... that was deffinatly shockingly fun
Field Researcher
#24 Old 4th Mar 2007 at 4:52 AM
Isn't there a way to adjust the sound in the game? Like turn down sound effects but leave voices or music loud? I could have sworn there were multiple sound controls that allowed you to turn up and down different catagories of in-game sound.