Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 13th Jun 2024 at 12:28 AM
Default Easiest Ways to Remove Family Ties
Hello all, trying to get some perspective on an issue that's kind of bothersome for me.

I play with an orphanage system for my neighborhoods, and sims are regularly put up for adoption. Once a sim becomes an orphan, I want there to be no family ties to anyone. The problem is since I have the extended family mod, that makes the connections far more complex and difficult to remove, so I'm curious if there's a more convenient method to wipe all family ties, perhaps with a hacked object, than going to Simblender's Family section and manually removing every family tie that there is from individual family members. Or, if you have a similar system, what's your preferred method of handling things?
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 13th Jun 2024 at 2:14 AM
Just use the sim blender to remove all the EA family ties, the extended ones will update automatically once the sim no longer has any parents.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#3 Old 13th Jun 2024 at 3:10 AM
I use the Simblder. It's quick and easy.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Test Subject
#4 Old 16th Jun 2024 at 12:24 PM
I have adoptees in my hoods, too. They get adopted by families who are able to take on an extra or only child, in some cases. I also have families who are work families but i made them siblings / children of theirs so they have family and friends in the hood to talk from the beginning and to invite to parties, gatherings, weddings, or just for a social visit.

First i would ask, do the family ties interfere with your gameplay? If not, i dont see why there would be a need to remove them. If so, in what way is it problematic for you?
Mad Poster
#5 Old 16th Jun 2024 at 12:49 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Eristreams
First i would ask, do the family ties interfere with your gameplay? If not, i dont see why there would be a need to remove them. If so, in what way is it problematic for you?

I presume that they want the children to get the new family as parents when they're adopted and they use a give up for adoption method other than the social worker (who wipes family ties). So they want another way to remove the biological parents.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#6 Old 16th Jun 2024 at 11:16 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Charity
I presume that they want the children to get the new family as parents when they're adopted and they use a give up for adoption method other than the social worker (who wipes family ties). So they want another way to remove the biological parents.

Exactly, I use "Give Up For Adoption" on the Simblender and play the sims in an orphanage. Sorry, I should have made that clearer in my initial post! The extended family ties make it tricky because most of the time sims put up for adoption are bastards or kids of Romance sims so they have a few half siblings here and there. With extended family ties, there's a weird limbo effect where some kids are distantly related enough not to have the little blue "family" icon in the relations panel, but can't be romantically interacted with, and that just winnows down potential love matches really quickly.

As far as I can tell Simblender can't remove that level of "family" but can get rid of more direct ties like parents, and usually once those are gone the limbo sims are not considered family anymore.
Mad Poster
#7 Old 16th Jun 2024 at 11:33 PM
Extended family ties are just calculated based on who the parents are. If there are no parents, there are no extended family ties, either.
Test Subject
#8 Old 18th Jun 2024 at 8:52 PM
Quote: Originally posted by MHS0501
Exactly, I use "Give Up For Adoption" on the Simblender and play the sims in an orphanage. Sorry, I should have made that clearer in my initial post! The extended family ties make it tricky because most of the time sims put up for adoption are bastards or kids of Romance sims so they have a few half siblings here and there. With extended family ties, there's a weird limbo effect where some kids are distantly related enough not to have the little blue "family" icon in the relations panel, but can't be romantically interacted with, and that just winnows down potential love matches really quickly.

As far as I can tell Simblender can't remove that level of "family" but can get rid of more direct ties like parents, and usually once those are gone the limbo sims are not considered family anymore.

I see your problem. When i create my adoptee families in CAS i have an idea of who they will have romantic relationships with, so i dont put them together in the same family. The relationships are not set in stone, however i do have some idea of their pair/ mate so it makes it easier to choose who belongs in which family.

My next question would be, how do your sim children become orphans? Death of parents? Or for some other reason?

Mine start out as orphans under the care of a parent/trainer. And those families who can take on a child temporarily move in to select and take an orphan home.

You guys here have some interesting conundrums! I have been lucky enough to find a work around for most of my problems. so good for personalized game play!

I hope you find a solution, if not i can try to help you find a workaround.

Best wishes,