Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Mad Poster
#13351 Old 5th Sep 2024 at 4:31 AM
Quote: Originally posted by simmer22
4t2 from game resources is in some ways technically MM since it's a direct conversion, but (in my opinion, as said above) not fully MM compared to TS2. The style of TS4 is just on the verge of being too cartoony, and there's something about the meshes and textures - and style - that feels out of place. The reverse is also true (tried converting my set of deco babies to TS4 a while back - they just look completely out of place. It also made me really grateful for TS2's much better handling of recolorable subsets, and alpha textures that actually behave the way you want them to... Making anything with alphas in TS4 is a nightmare, let alone having to edit multiple swatches when you find that one mistake all the swatches have - made me sincerely miss SimPE...).

What I find strange is that there's some 4t2 stuff that looks matchy (e.g. this set.) But others don't.

I'm secretly a Bulbasaur. | Formerly known as ihatemandatoryregister

Looking for SimWardrobe's mods? | Or Dizzy's? | Faiuwle/rufio's too! | smorbie1's Chris Hatch archives
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#13352 Old 5th Sep 2024 at 1:24 PM
I think maxis match has gotten more popular because a lot of the shiny semi realistic stuff that looked alright in 800×600-bulky-30 lb monitors don't really look good today on a higher resolution screen. Which is sad for me, because I really dislike cwrtoony Sims. I also suspect that the increase in art tutorials has something to do with maxis match's rise in popularity. You can go on YouTube and find a hundred videos about texture making. Back in the day, the average person would probably just grab a photo of wood or stone etc. from online.
Mad Poster
#13353 Old 5th Sep 2024 at 8:01 PM
I remember someone, I think @simsample, demonstrating how the Sims 2 exaggerated facial structures were designed for smaller resolutions.

I'm secretly a Bulbasaur. | Formerly known as ihatemandatoryregister

Looking for SimWardrobe's mods? | Or Dizzy's? | Faiuwle/rufio's too! | smorbie1's Chris Hatch archives
Mad Poster
#13354 Old 5th Sep 2024 at 11:17 PM
How do you all get motivated to play with the actual sims themselves? I spend a lot of time in build mode and when I do create Sims I tend to not play with them very long as I tend lose motivation.

Because the earth is standing still, and the truth becomes a lie
A choice profound is bittersweet, no one hears Cassandra Goth cry

Mad Poster
Original Poster
#13355 Old 5th Sep 2024 at 11:34 PM
Quote: Originally posted by HarVee
How do you all get motivated to play with the actual sims themselves? I spend a lot of time in build mode and when I do create Sims I tend to not play with them very long as I tend lose motivation.
I'm the opposite! If I'm building a house, it's because I have some Sims desperate for somewhere decent to live. If I'm building a community lot. it's much the same -- to give my Sims somewhere interesting to go. To give them a variety of shops, clubs, restaurants, parks, swimming pools, etc. to go to. But whatever it is, my main concern is to finish it quickly so my Sims can use it. For me the real fun is the time that I spend with my Sims.

I'm still in love with Sims I've been playing for nearly twelve years now. In most cases they haven't even aged up.

All Sims are beautiful -- even the ugly ones.
My Simblr ~~ My LJ
Sims' lives matter!
The Veronaville kids are alright.
Forum Resident
#13356 Old 6th Sep 2024 at 9:22 PM
About hairstyles I usually like to use detailed deedee hairstyles mixed with 3t2, they fit very well together. I only use the pure sims2 style hairstyles for Plessantview style hoods or my custom hoods, to try to recreate that maxis match style of the game. I never use 4t2 hairs anymore, I think I only use clothes and objects from the sims 4.
Forum Resident
#13357 Old 6th Sep 2024 at 11:15 PM
Quote: Originally posted by simmer22
4t2 from game resources is in some ways technically MM since it's a direct conversion, but (in my opinion, as said above) not fully MM compared to TS2. The style of TS4 is just on the verge of being too cartoony, and there's something about the meshes and textures - and style - that feels out of place. The reverse is also true (tried converting my set of deco babies to TS4 a while back - they just look completely out of place.

Yeah I've found many 4t2 conversions end up looking like you're putting Duplos into a Sims 2 Lego environment. The level of detail isn't the same on a lot of objects that were streamlined for performance in TS4.
Page 535 of 535