Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#1 Old 3rd Jun 2024 at 7:14 PM
Default April Black's new video on "incomplete character data" NPCs
April Black, who previously made a long video debunking a number of long-held superstitions about neighborhood corruption, recently released a new video about the neighborhood-corrupting possibilities of NPCs like the social worker and the repo man who are widely claimed to have "incomplete character data": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1qJLry_MWY Spoiler: they do not cause corruption, either, and you can actually safely play as them with a few small edits to their character files. This video is not about the universal/objects.package NPCs like the Grim Reaper and Mrs. Crumplebottom, to the best of current knowledge, those NPCs do cause corruption if you try to mess with them. She gives a list of which NPCs are entirely stored in objects.package and the Happy Holiday stuff pack files in the video.

This was posted on reddit and (obviously) YouTube, but I don't know if most people here follow those sites, so some people here may not have seen it.
Advertisement
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#2 Old 3rd Jun 2024 at 7:39 PM
Thanks @kestrellyn I did mention it here but good idea to create a thread about it. I was going to mention, that re: social worker, Chris Hatch mentioned that she takes behaviour from the vehicle:
https://modthesims.info/showthread....782#post5315782
Also some of the other NPCs do too. I don't understand the full mechanics of how that works though!
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#3 Old 3rd Jun 2024 at 8:36 PM Last edited by kestrellyn : 3rd Jun 2024 at 10:17 PM.
At least some of the code for taking and bringing children is stored in the social worker's van rather than in the social worker template, and is presumably triggered by the van arriving on the lot, but if she is not there to perform those functions, I don't believe that code would ever get called. It's arguably a better system than some of the other NPCs having the code baked into their templates, which causes them to have weird behavior even under normal circumstances. But it wouldn't make sense to spawn a car for the cheerleader to show up in, haha.
Mad Poster
#4 Old 3rd Jun 2024 at 9:36 PM
I've noticed the neckless witches on the Instant Inviter's visual dialog and wondered what they were.

I'm secretly a Bulbasaur. | Formerly known as ihatemandatoryregister

Looking for SimWardrobe's mods? | Or Dizzy's? | Faiuwle/rufio's too! | smorbie1's Chris Hatch archives
Instructor
#5 Old 4th Jun 2024 at 5:49 PM
This brings so many memories of my first years of playing Sims 2. Back in 2006, I always had a thing for marrying NPCs, Waylon Fairchild was my go to man. I guess I thought the NPCs were mystic beings that I needed my sims to marry. I recall being confused when I moved in a Carpool Driver and couldn't click on them.

There's no drama, like Sims drama.

My spiritual accountability website:
https://bequietnomoreyou.wordpress.com

Mad Poster
#6 Old 4th Jun 2024 at 6:59 PM
Quote: Originally posted by monijt1
This brings so many memories of my first years of playing Sims 2. Back in 2006, I always had a thing for marrying NPCs, Waylon Fairchild was my go to man. I guess I thought the NPCs were mystic beings that I needed my sims to marry. I recall being confused when I moved in a Carpool Driver and couldn't click on them.

Waylon in my game married Nina Caliente-they were besotted with each other..like 'get a room, you two"! all the time.

She dropped being obsessed with Don. Surprisingly she was pretty darn faithful..

Receptacle Refugee & Resident Polar Bear
"Get out of my way, young'un, I'm a ninja!"
Grave Matters: The funeral podium is available here: https://www.mediafire.com/file/e6tj...albits.zip/file
My other downloads are here: https://www.mediafire.com/?r=wbmnd#myfiles
Instructor
#7 Old 4th Jun 2024 at 7:29 PM Last edited by FuryCat : 4th Jun 2024 at 9:32 PM.
I think Social Bunnies aren't bodyless like the neutral witches. If you go into debug mode in CAS using testingcheats and you put the Social Bunny outfit on a normal Sim, it has a neck gap because EAxis expected it to only be used with the Social Bunny hat as well. If you then put the Social Bunny hat on the Sim as well, you'll see that the hat obviously covers the gap. It's like converting an outfit for a different age and having a weird neck gap. Correct me if I'm wrong, though, because it might also be the case of the neutral high witches

Cats are the cutest creatures. And the most stubborn.

My Simblr
Mad Poster
#8 Old 4th Jun 2024 at 8:44 PM
The neutral witches aren't headless. They're bodyless.

I'm secretly a Bulbasaur. | Formerly known as ihatemandatoryregister

Looking for SimWardrobe's mods? | Or Dizzy's? | Faiuwle/rufio's too! | smorbie1's Chris Hatch archives
Mad Poster
#9 Old 4th Jun 2024 at 9:28 PM
From what I understood of April's video, they have heads and bodies, but the skin on their bodies is invisible (similar to spectral assistants, it's possible they're using the same verrsion of the outfit), so only the clothes are showing.

So basically a floating head on a witch dress.
Instructor
#10 Old 4th Jun 2024 at 9:34 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Bulbizarre
The neutral witches aren't headless. They're bodyless.

That's what I meant, sorry. I wasn't thinking correctly.

Quote: Originally posted by simmer22
From what I understood of April's video, they have heads and bodies, but the skin on their bodies is invisible (similar to spectral assistants, it's possible they're using the same verrsion of the outfit), so only the clothes are showing.

Weirdly the "invisible" version of the neutral witch dress isn't even available in debug mode along with the others but that doesn't surprise me. Many other hidden accessories and clothes don't show up in debug mode.
It's like the "null" clothes. It's just a cloth which is invisible.

My Simblr
Lab Assistant
#11 Old 4th Jun 2024 at 10:27 PM
Quote: Originally posted by simmer22

Screw the atrociously evil witch, a floating head on a witch dress would make me run for the hills...
Mad Poster
#12 Old 5th Jun 2024 at 3:17 AM
Quote: Originally posted by FuryCat
That's what I meant, sorry. I wasn't thinking correctly.

Weirdly the "invisible" version of the neutral witch dress isn't even available in debug mode along with the others but that doesn't surprise me. Many other hidden accessories and clothes don't show up in debug mode.
It's like the "null" clothes. It's just a cloth which is invisible.

It probably uses the same texture as the regular neutral witch, and maybe just uses a different PropertySet (or is called upon in some other way) - I think I've seen a few replacements for it, so there has to be a way to make those (haven't looked into it). It's probably not available in debug since it's not available for sims via other methods ingame (a lot of the debug outfits are just outfits with flags that hide them from CAS/buy, but are accessible if the sim for instance gets them as a work uniform. Some items may have extra things done to them to hide them even more, so sims can't get them through regular gameplay).
Instructor
#13 Old 5th Jun 2024 at 8:03 PM
@simmer22 Ohh, that makes sense. I hadn't thought about hiding them better when they aren't used ingame, as obvious as it may seem.

My Simblr