Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Scholar
#7026 Old 24th Sep 2024 at 2:15 PM
The authors generally don't give you much story to discover. I wish there was more because reading dialogue usually motivates me to progress in other games. It's an open sandbox/dollhouse for the player to go in any direction.

If Landgrab's businesses were already developed, the player would have nothing to do. Maybe he should have more wealth. But I can understand how he would invest the money to make more instead of keeping it and have it diminish to inflation, since the stock market was yet to be invented in FreeTime. And a Japanese market meltdown can easily wipe over 10% of my portfolio, which is yet to recover.

Developing the Electronics Supercenter takes little effort, since it sells expensive items. You just have to price up the small stuff like alarm clocks and stock more EP computers. Dante is a money sink: It needs a lot of investment to expand it with a second floor, and game mods that help employees not get lost with long distance walks, and people not be stupid abandoning their dinner plate at maximum priority and starting a fire. It needs an employee for cleaning and another for providing food. All other businesses are hopeless, with Florence and the Ramirezes suffering from low stamina. And the bread shop with plastic cakes has too low revenue if limited to small food items and a barista.

Landgrab's house is alright considering that he is a Runner. He doesn't suffer much from objects being spread out. There is even reserve for a garage. However, I would like to fit more into a home of that size, a gym. Malcolm Landgrab is a loner. He doesn't need more than one bed to invite a woman over temporarily. Delarosa's house is close to optimal, but she needs to move in a runner girl ASAP to work the crafting stand. The plastic cake salesman Jacquet was probably meant to go with her, but he is so weak that he can only sit at a computer all day, xd. The furniture shop can work with a runner girl, maybe Melody Tinker, and a JCB to flatten the cliff.

I like that Bluewater is a small add-on to the base neighborhood. I don't feel like abandoning everyhing and starting from scratch. It has a lot of unwelcoming empty space with plain grass.
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#7027 Old 24th Sep 2024 at 5:45 PM
A current pet peeve of mine is that a gardening mod that needed at least 10 other mods and add-ons in order to work kind of broke my game.
Even now, after removing said mod and all its branches, my sim still glitches and resets after planting the normal seeds.

Another pet peeve of mine that I will not open a new thread to complain about is that I submitted a couple of items 10-12 days ago and not a single mod looked at them, so I kind of lost hope of seeing them on-site anytime soon.
I worked quite a bit to build those lots and no one seems to care. :/
Mad Poster
#7028 Old 24th Sep 2024 at 6:34 PM
Quote: Originally posted by AndrewGloria
I can't stop playing Veronaville. But it's got very little to do with the pre-mades. If I stopped playing Veronaville, I'd never see Andrew again. I need him.

You're concerning me a bit. I hope that you do have some RL friends.
Be like the 22nd elephant with heated value in space, bark!
retired moderator
#7029 Old 24th Sep 2024 at 7:46 PM
Quote: Originally posted by earthgirl
Another pet peeve of mine that I will not open a new thread to complain about is that I submitted a couple of items 10-12 days ago and not a single mod looked at them, so I kind of lost hope of seeing them on-site anytime soon.

They do care, it's just that queue moderation is a tough and tedious job, and it's difficult to find people who want to do it. Plus, people have jobs and real life, so may not be able to moderate every week. Two weeks isn't really that long, but if you do want to ask about it you could try the Discord channels, or open a thread in Site Issues.
Mad Poster
#7030 Old Yesterday at 12:07 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Charity
You're concerning me a bit. I hope that you do have some RL friends.

Yes, I do have Real Life friends. Not a lot of them, but I do have some. Most of my local friends go to my church. But one of my closest friends there just had her father die a week ago, which is another reminder to me of the fragility of life. I still miss my own mother who died two years ago. I also like to count people like you with whom I exchange occasional PMs as my RL friends. Also I'm closer to my sister than I've been for years.

But Andrew still has a very special place in my heart. I suppose there's a lot of myself in Andrew's make-up. His odd mixture of extreme radicalism with some very conservative ideas is me. And I look a little bit like him, except of course that I'm older, fatter, uglier, more cowardly, and certainly stupider than he is. Where he and I differ, he's generally better than me. He's much neater and organised than I am. And of course he has the courage to accept that he's gay and quite openly have a successful relationship. And even now when he has progressed to an open marriage and polyamory, he still gives me the impression that he's in control of his life, and he knows what he's doing.

So all told, Andrew has been a very significant presence in my life in the past twelve years, and I would not be at all happy at the prospect of never seeing him again. So, as long as I'm able, I'll keep going back to Veronaville to meet up with him and his friends. The Veronaville pre-mades are OK, but really it's Andrew, his mum and his friends who keep me coming back to Veronaville.

I'll try to PM you soon.

All Sims are beautiful -- even the ugly ones.
My Simblr ~~ My LJ
Sims' lives matter!
The Veronaville kids are alright.
Mad Poster
#7031 Old Yesterday at 1:59 AM
Townies/NPCs auto-selecting completely inappropriate outerwear/etc.

When stray pets somehow sneak all the way into my dang house because I forgot to lock all exterior doors to disallow pets.

When a downtownie walkby tries to offer my sim a lvl 2 job, but my sim is already at lvl 10.

When the face disappears from a sim's portrait, and I have to use the batbox's "Flashing Blue" option to make it come back.

How when two teens sneak out together, only the one in the currently active household remembers it.

When sims suddenly discover a deep hankering to plant seeds, but it's Fall.

When a sim has two very high-scoring wants and I can only lock one, so the other one scrolls off.
Mad Poster
#7032 Old Yesterday at 10:13 AM
I still don't have anything to add here

@earthgirl - hang in there, most of us have gone through that waiting period when we started uploading. It too shall pass After uploading a number of things in a certain category, you get a pass and can upload immediately! Strongs
Mad Poster
#7033 Old Yesterday at 10:34 AM
Quote: Originally posted by simsample
They do care, it's just that queue moderation is a tough and tedious job, and it's difficult to find people who want to do it.

I've always offered to do it when they do those recruiting threads, but so far never luck getting the job. I wouldn't mind dedicating a bit of my freetime each week to help the queue go by quicker. It would actually give me more of a reason to be more active on MTS.

Because the earth is standing still, and the truth becomes a lie
A choice profound is bittersweet, no one hears Cassandra Goth cry

retired moderator
#7034 Old Yesterday at 10:39 AM
Quote: Originally posted by HarVee
I've always offered to do it when they do those recruiting threads, but so far never luck getting the job. I wouldn't mind dedicating a bit of my freetime each week to help the queue go by quicker. It would actually give me more of a reason to be more active on MTS.

Maybe you could suggest it to @Tashiketh or post in site issues.
Mad Poster
#7035 Old Yesterday at 11:01 AM
Maybe you could suggest it to @Tashiketh or post in site issues.

Done. Maybe I'll get a response, maybe I won't. But worth a try!

retired moderator
#7036 Old Yesterday at 1:23 PM
Quote: Originally posted by earthgirl

They seem to be up now!
Lab Assistant
#7037 Old Yesterday at 6:54 PM
Yeah, I saw them.

Anyway, good luck to those who want to apply for a moderator spot! I'm not very familiar with this site yet, so I'll pass....
Mad Poster
#7038 Old Yesterday at 7:29 PM
I tried in the most recent intake, but I was not selected.
retired moderator
#7039 Old Yesterday at 9:06 PM
@Charity HarVee posted a request to mod here: https://modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=686950
If you still want to mod, maybe you could add your interest in that thread? I think that the initial limitation was that they need to train moderators, so cannot take too many on at once. There are currently nine trainee mods though so I'm not sure how many will be needed.
https://modthesims.info/showgroups.php
Mad Poster
#7040 Old Yesterday at 10:17 PM
Hmm. My pet peeve with newly made sims is that they have no connections. They don't know anyone, they have no memories, no history, they care about nothing but the default want tree . . . NOT that I would want EA to set that up, because they'd totally screw it up, but that's the thing. All of a sudden, new family moves to town. They barely know each other, they didn't teach their kids anything, they have no reason: friends, job, anything, to be in this town . . . the first few days of play are the most frustrating because they are such blank slates. I'd like it better if I could say, assign a job, relations to sims already in town, etc., in CAS, and if parents could be given memories of teaching baby to walk, or baby growing up red, etc.

This is related to my pet peeve with premades, that they don't know the people they should and have the relationships they should. Cassandra and Alexander Goth should know their Aunt Dina and her sister Nina. How was this not a holiday thing every single year?

Pics from my game: Sunbee's Simblr Sunbee's Livejournal
"English is a marvelous edged weapon if you know how to wield it." C.J. Cherryh
Test Subject
#7041 Old Today at 2:17 AM
The careers that came with Freetime and Seasons have notably higher pay than the ones from the base game. How good a juggler do you have to be to have practically equal weekly salary to an astronaut!?
Mad Poster
#7042 Old Today at 2:21 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Ivrats Dargy
The careers that came with Freetime and Seasons have notably higher pay than the ones from the base game. How good a juggler do you have to be to have practically equal weekly salary to an astronaut!?

Anthony Gatto good.

Test Subject
#7043 Old Today at 2:33 AM
Anthony Gatto good.

Fair enough, but with how blandly they described the career level, I always just imagined my sim going to some random community lot and juggling for tips

Really makes me wish they just reworked the career and made it the return of the Circus Performer track from Unleashed.
Mad Poster
#7044 Old Today at 11:52 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Ivrats Dargy

Also frustrates me that there's two Record Store Clerk jobs, one in Slacker and one in Music.

I'm secretly a Bulbasaur. | Formerly known as ihatemandatoryregister

Looking for SimWardrobe's mods? | Or Dizzy's? | Faiuwle/rufio's too! | smorbie1's Chris Hatch archives
Mad Poster
#7045 Old Today at 5:24 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Sunbee
This is related to my pet peeve with premades, that they don't know the people they should and have the relationships they should. Cassandra and Alexander Goth should know their Aunt Dina and her sister Nina. How was this not a holiday thing every single year?

Shows how little I've played the premades. That is ridiculous, not knowing your aunts. Unless there was some sort of family schism and even then they should know of their existence.

Anthony Gatto good.

I had to look that name up and just sat there for 15 mins on youtube with my mouth open. XD

Quote: Originally posted by Bulbizarre
Also frustrates me that there's two Record Store Clerk jobs, one in Slacker and one in Music.

Well, did you take the job just so you could laze around and listen to music or did you take it because you love music and it was a stepping stone to keep you in touch with the latest news?

@Charity HarVee posted a request to mod here: https://modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=686950
If you still want to mod, maybe you could add your interest in that thread? I think that the initial limitation was that they need to train moderators, so cannot take too many on at once. There are currently nine trainee mods though so I'm not sure how many will be needed.
https://modthesims.info/showgroups.php

If they have 9 trainees then they probably don't need any more. Besides, I suspect that one of the reasons I was turned down was my lack of knowledge of Sims 3 and 4. They'd ideally want someone who was familiar with all the iterations of the franchise.
Lab Assistant
#7046 Old Today at 10:47 PM
For me personally, I found after playing the EP neighborhoods for a while that they just don't interest me. Desiderata is too peaceful for my tastes, Belladonna is the one I played the least because last time I played it I found the apartment lots to be really laggy. Of course, last time I played Belladonna was like 2009 on an XP potato PC so yeah. Bluewater is interesting, I like the feuding businesses aspect, but never really cared for the Sims themselves...

Since we're talking about EP neighborhoods, I'll share a pet peeve of mine: I really dislike how they interpreted Malcolm Landgraab and that family on OFB. For a family that's supposed to be extremely wealthy and influential, with a legacy going back as far as SimCity 3000 and even going as far as to be strongly hinted at as THE founding family of SimNation (according to a description of a painting in The Sims 1 for PC), they just felt one-sided, and were strangely quite poor in terms of financial status. Not to brag, but I feel even I did Malcolm Landgraab more justice in Plot of Land by expanding the concept to become a Trump-like Sim. Something I felt he was always supposed to be ever since TS1-era days.

I do feel honestly like Maxis put more thought and effort into the BG 'hoods than the later EP ones.

Hmm, Desiderata, Riverblossom, and Belladonna are pretty peaceful, but I think there's definitely ways to incite drama if you wanted to, ESPECIALLY if you put them in Maxis premade uberhoods. I personally really like to:

1) Involve John Mole in things. Have him be nosy! If it's an uberhood, have him be involved in Bella's missing person case!
2) Go all-in on Chastity and Jessica being the Belladonna equivalent to Nina and Dina, respectively. In fact, it's fun to have them all interact in an uberhood, I think.
3) Give the Roths a real Stepford Wives kind of feel, if that makes any sense. I'm a big fan of the Bella clone theory even if it is technically disproven... because you can still make it real anyway! And I interpret Stella to be yet another clone, and do fun stuff with her unhappy relationship with her husband.

As for Malcolm III, oh, I absolutely agree, honestly, which is why I also try to have him play a more villainous role... especially in uberhoods! I mean, come on, there's literally already a story picture of what appears to be him and Nina in a hot tub, so there is a LOT you can do there! I interpret him as Malcolm II instead of III, however, just to make things more consistent with TS3.
Page 282 of 282