Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#1 Old 22nd Sep 2023 at 5:32 AM
Default Half-Speed Time
Not sure if this is a 'help' issue or not - so Ill put it in the main section.

I'm playing with Chris Hatch's CJH_TimeController, which lets me set time at half-speed. For the most part, I like this - it makes for a far more relaxed gameplay.

However, motive drop doesn't change. So if I'm not careful, Sims coming home from work will pass out on the sidewalk.

Does anybody else play with slow time? Have they found a way around this?

I'm secretly a Bulbasaur. | Formerly known as ihatemandatoryregister

Looking for SimWardrobe's mods? | Or Dizzy's? | Faiuwle/rufio's too! | smorbie1's Chris Hatch archives
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 22nd Sep 2023 at 8:55 AM
I thought about getting it, but in the end decided not to for the reason you've mentioned. (I think I may have a mod for slower motive decay. Vanilla motive decay is sometimes a bit fast for my liking.)

So I've just gone on playing the way I've always played, with very frequent use of the pause button. That gives me plenty of time to check that everyone and everything is OK. It's probably one of the reasons why I've never seen a Sim die in my entire Simming history.

All Sims are beautiful -- even the ugly ones.
My Simblr ~~ My LJ
Sims' lives matter!
The Veronaville kids are alright.
Forum Resident
#3 Old 22nd Sep 2023 at 10:01 AM
I just use the slowmotion # cheat. The higher the number the slower everything goes, motive drops, clock speed, gameplay motion, everything. The numbers 1 thru 8 indicate slow motion speed with 0 being the normal game speed and 8 almost to a standstill like it's frozen in time. I usually run my game at slowmotion 4 even though the voiceovers are a little delayed because of it. Time passes much more slowly so that the day is longer for my sims.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#4 Old 22nd Sep 2023 at 10:41 AM
slowmotion will be useful for taking screenshits!

Looking for SimWardrobe's mods? | Or Dizzy's? | Faiuwle/rufio's too! | smorbie1's Chris Hatch archives
Mad Poster
#5 Old 22nd Sep 2023 at 11:52 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Bulbizarre
slowmotion will be useful for taking screenshits!

Um, for taking what?
Mad Poster
#6 Old 22nd Sep 2023 at 12:14 PM Last edited by FranH : 22nd Sep 2023 at 9:31 PM.
In my game, I have:

Chris's mod, the Smart Beds mod, and another by XPTL that makes all teens and older go to bed at 11 pm (it also refreshes other motives like hunger, comfort, bladder and hygiene at the same time. Not fun or social though...)

Between the three I usually have the pixels who work late go straight to bed automatically. If they pass out I wake them up and send them off to bed.

If they come home sooner than that, they get to take a nap and wake up refreshed until 11 pm when they go back to bed.

I've trained my pixels very well.

Receptacle Refugee & Resident Polar Bear
"Get out of my way, young'un, I'm a ninja!"
Grave Matters: The funeral podium is available here: https://www.mediafire.com/file/e6tj...albits.zip/file
My other downloads are here: https://www.mediafire.com/?r=wbmnd#myfiles
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#7 Old 22nd Sep 2023 at 12:51 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Charity
Um, for taking what?

Scholar
#8 Old 22nd Sep 2023 at 1:48 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Charity
Um, for taking what?

'ya know - usual Sims stuff.

favorite quote: "When ElaineNualla is posting..I always read..Nutella. I am sorry" by Rosebine
self-claimed "lower-spec simmer"
Scholar
#9 Old 22nd Sep 2023 at 1:51 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Bulbizarre
Not sure if this is a 'help' issue or not - so Ill put it in the main section.

I'm playing with Chris Hatch's CJH_TimeController, which lets me set time at half-speed. For the most part, I like this - it makes for a far more relaxed gameplay.

However, motive drop doesn't change. So if I'm not careful, Sims coming home from work will pass out on the sidewalk.

Does anybody else play with slow time? Have they found a way around this?

BO's pelikan (Need Freak) might be useful but for me Time Controller is a 'no no' because it mess with Community Time. Regardless of patches which supposedly should take care about it I had never been able to make it work.

The downside is that my 'p' key gets quite abused...

favorite quote: "When ElaineNualla is posting..I always read..Nutella. I am sorry" by Rosebine
Mad Poster
#10 Old 22nd Sep 2023 at 9:33 PM
Quote: Originally posted by ElaineNualla
BO's pelikan (Need Freak) might be useful but for me Time Controller is a 'no no' because it mess with Community Time. Regardless of patches which supposedly should take care about it I had never been able to make it work.

The downside is that my 'p' key gets quite abused...

There is a newer version of CLT that Chris released a few years ago that does work because others had complained about it, and he revamped it.

This is the thread where he linked to the newer version of CLT: https://modthesims.info/showthread....098#post5703098

I'm using it and it works fine with the time controller.

Receptacle Refugee & Resident Polar Bear
"Get out of my way, young'un, I'm a ninja!"
Grave Matters: The funeral podium is available here: https://www.mediafire.com/file/e6tj...albits.zip/file
My other downloads are here: https://www.mediafire.com/?r=wbmnd#myfiles
Scholar
#11 Old 23rd Sep 2023 at 12:16 AM
I was speaking about that one. Never got this to work unfortunatelly. Maybe conflicts with something else I dunno. Not an issue which I feel particularly pressed to dwelve into.

Mad Poster
#12 Old 23rd Sep 2023 at 3:33 AM
I use it, I find it makes it easier to have energy/time to do things like invite family over and have more integrated gameplay so it's very useful for my enjoyment of the game. I also enjoy the faster motive decay, now my Sims actually tend to eat three meals a day (though it also helps I modded out eating at work/school so they don't cheat eat out of view). The only motive that I find troublesome is energy, which I have no qualms about simply setting back up with testingcheats which I always have turned on. I don't see why not, when it's an artificial problem caused by something else, and even if it wasn't, it's my game and if I don't enjoy watching em sleep as much as they need to then why shouldn't I? Occasionally also drag up hygiene that way, sometimes find they need to shower a bit more than I care for in that particular game session. But over all I like that they have to tend to needs more throughout the day, especially when it comes to the kids. There's so little parenting involved in the game, the least my parents can do is feed them several times a day and now they actually get hungry enough to need it.

Creations can be found on my on tumblr.
Mad Poster
#13 Old 23rd Sep 2023 at 4:05 AM
The energy issue makes it intolerable for me. A shame, because it actually makes the other needs make more sense. They don't need to eat 3x per day in a vanilla game, and eating takes so long that it's annoying.

I don't see the point in the slow motion cheat for this because the whole point of the time mod is that it changes the flow of time relative to everything else. If slo-mo changes everything, then it's doing something completely different.

If it were possible to make a mod that made energy (and maybe hygiene) gain/loss half as fast across the board, then I would consider using this mod. Without that, no. It's too much micromanagement. And I don't care to edit every single possible item in the game that gains or loses energy.

Edit: OK so Andrew's post about slower motive decay made me go looking, and I found this. The only thing is that it doesn't come with any documentation to explain what it does. So I guess that you would have to load it into a test hood and try it out to find out. Since it seems to use a token, I wouldn't want to put it in a hood I don't know if I'll keep it in. But it's possible that my "it's not possible to change energy decay across the board" is wrong/outdated.

https://lazyduchess.tumblr.com/post...er-motive-decay

Check out my thoughts on Psymchology (Sim Psychology) - latest post is on the main six aspirations.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#14 Old 23rd Sep 2023 at 4:08 AM
Apparently LazyDuchess has a slower motive decay mod. I'm not sure if it'll work without their relativity mod though.

Mad Poster
#15 Old 23rd Sep 2023 at 4:14 AM
Haha apparently we did synchronised googling

It seems like they are independent of each other, since he only marked the "Mod Setup" portion as required.

Relativity also sounds like an updated version of time control anyway, so it would probably make sense to ditch time control and use Relativity. From what I understand of how the newer CLT mod works, it should work just fine with this.

Check out my thoughts on Psymchology (Sim Psychology) - latest post is on the main six aspirations.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#16 Old 29th Sep 2023 at 4:15 PM
I installed LD's mod (and the 'mod setup' which adds a flamingo that lets you change the settings) and it works well. A bit too well - cutting the motive decay in half makes them a bit too slow. I'll try different numbers.

I'll continue using Chris Hatch's mod for now though as I'm not sure how his other mods (pregnancy controller mainly) will behave with a diffferent time controller mod. I might try it in my testing hood.

Mad Poster
Original Poster
#17 Old 30th Sep 2023 at 3:29 AM
I just tested. I use LD's Relativity mod set at 60 ticks, then sent a Sim off to the community lot for a few hours. When I had him return, it reported he'd be back in 4 hours - he returned after 2.

So stick with Chris Hatch's half-speed mod and LD's slower motive decay.

Mad Poster
#18 Old Yesterday at 8:18 PM
Apologies for bumping this, but I feel it makes more sense than making a new thread and I feel like main forum is the appropriate place for it although it is help-adjacent.

I used to use the Chris Hatch half speed mod, and I personally love having more time with my Sims each day. But unfortunately it messes up carpools and pregnancies in my game, as well as causes errors on trees in autumn. Earlier this year I switched to the Lazy Duchess alternative that was mentioned earlier in this post, and it seemed fine, but unfortunately that too is causing issues for me. This time seasons do not progress, NPC scheduling gets messed up where the maid etc only comes once and then never returns.

Long story short, I am wondering if anyone else uses the Lazy Duchess method and how it is working for you. I find it hard to believe that LD would have a mod out there that stops time from moving forward this way. I'm wondering if maybe it's a case of something else I use not playing nice in a non-direct conflict type of way, but that sort of 50/50 troubleshooting is difficult and time consuming, so before I embark on a whole process I wanted to see if anyone uses it and could share what their experience has been.

Creations can be found on my on tumblr.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#19 Old Yesterday at 9:43 PM Last edited by Bulbizarre : Yesterday at 10:01 PM.
Carpool failing to show up indicate an older version of Chris Hatch's time controller that has an issue with the ticks going slightly out-of-sync. The updated version may helps with that.