Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Instructor
Original Poster
#1 Old 29th Jul 2024 at 4:10 AM Last edited by chitownriverscum : 30th Jul 2024 at 12:41 AM.

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Seasons
Default Where to locate error log from a crash
Suddenly, and due to nothing that I can think of, when I go to Floor Lamps in the catalog, my game crashes. I was just adding some floor laps not that long ago with no problem, so I can't imagine what would now be causing this. Do crashes generate error logs, or does it happen too fast?

My beard grows to my toes;
I never wears no clothes;
I wraps my hair
Around my bare,
And down the road I goes. -Shel Silverstein
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 29th Jul 2024 at 4:26 AM
No, a crash is completely different than an error and doesn't produce a useful log. Just test your floor lamps and find out which one is bad.
Mad Poster
#3 Old 29th Jul 2024 at 4:57 AM
Quote: Originally posted by chitownriverscum
Suddenly, and due to nothing that I can think of, when I go to Floor Lamps in the catalog, my game crashes. I was just adding some floor laps not that long ago with no problem, so I can't imagine what would now be causing this. Do crashes generate error logs, or does it happen too fast?

If you can replicate the crash (floor lamps every time), then you have a bad item in there.
50/50 is the best method to find the problem item.

The game produces a crash log after a crash, which can occasionally give some information, but mostly if it's low on memory or something similar. They're less useful than error logs.
Instructor
Original Poster
#4 Old 29th Jul 2024 at 5:31 AM
Quote: Originally posted by simmer22
If you can replicate the crash (floor lamps every time), then you have a bad item in there.
50/50 is the best method to find the problem item.

The game produces a crash log after a crash, which can occasionally give some information, but mostly if it's low on memory or something similar. They're less useful than error logs.

Thanks, that's kind of what I figured. I've taken to keeping newer CC acquisitions just loose in the downloads folder for a while before I sort them into categories, figuring that any problems that arise would be likely due to something I've installed recently. That way I can just sift through those first, before taking on the task of sorting everything. So far, it's worked for me. It turned out to be a torchiere - a sort of fire pit on a pole - which was part of a larger package of goodies that otherwise had nothing to do with lighting. I HAD in fact installed it more recently than when I was placing floor lamps, and it was conflicting somehow with one I already had. So, back in business. Thanks!

I wraps my hair
Around my bare,
Mad Poster
#5 Old 29th Jul 2024 at 6:14 AM
Quote: Originally posted by chitownriverscum
Suddenly, and due to nothing that I can think of, when I go to Floor Lamps in the catalog, my game crashes.

That's a GUID conflict. Something else had the same GUID as the lamp and the game barfed.

I'm secretly a Bulbasaur. | Formerly known as ihatemandatoryregister

Looking for SimWardrobe's mods? | Or Dizzy's? | Faiuwle/rufio's too! | smorbie1's Chris Hatch archives
Mad Poster
#6 Old 29th Jul 2024 at 6:45 AM Last edited by simmer22 : 29th Jul 2024 at 6:46 PM.
Oh, and just in case you want/need to know

Quote:
Where to locate error log from a crash

It's in the Logs folder, same place you find error logs. Cash files are called "Sims2Exception [date/time]". There are 2 files for each crash log, you can open up the text file.

Quote: Originally posted by Bulbizarre
That's a GUID conflict. Something else had the same GUID as the lamp and the game barfed.

Not necessarily. Most of the GUID conflicts I've had showed up with the wrong recolors or made another item show up with the wrong recolors and/or overrode another CC item or EAxis item, or didn't want to place (usually multi-GUID with improperly changed GUIDs), or threw errors. Most of them I didn't even notice until I had a full run through my Downloads folder.

I can't remember any GUID conflicts that made my game crash from the catalog - those were often caused by other things.

Repo'd items with a couple varieties of issues can cause crashes. I'd think items that either are updated beyond BV, or lower than BV (if they should be higher) could potentially be a problem as well (for mac). Wrong entries in the OBJD or categories could potentially cause crashes/errors, too (but wouldn't consider those GUID conflicts - while the GUID is usually in the OBJD, the OBJD has other purposes too). Editing the OBJD or compressing a file, and then not deleting the cache files could also cause a crash.
Mad Poster
#7 Old 29th Jul 2024 at 12:29 PM
Quote: Originally posted by simmer22
I can't remember any GUID conflicts that made my game crash from the catalog - those were often caused by other things.

Specific sections instantly crashing the game is a known symptom of a GUID conflict. I've been fortunate enough to avoid it myself - the GUID conflicts I've run into are overwritten Maxis items.

I'm secretly a Bulbasaur. | Formerly known as ihatemandatoryregister

Looking for SimWardrobe's mods? | Or Dizzy's? | Faiuwle/rufio's too! | smorbie1's Chris Hatch archives
Instructor
Original Poster
#8 Old 29th Jul 2024 at 11:45 PM
Thanks for the info, simmer22. I did already have a torchiere installed, and for some reason this set came with one also. They're both from the same creator, hriveresse, but from two different object sets. Possibly they have the same GUID.

I wraps my hair
Around my bare,