Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Mad Poster
#26 Old 20th Jun 2024 at 3:23 PM
That split file is known to happen with service NPCs.

Quote: Originally posted by jonasn
With NPCs each character will have two files if you have a mod that changes its coding, for example, for a coffee barista. One package collects all the modded scripts. As far as I know they are not used anyway and are pulled from the mod.
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#27 Old 20th Jun 2024 at 3:53 PM
The real problem I've seen with incorporating service NPC's/townies with split files is that they almost never have an updated picture in SimPE-I have a couple from the pool and they're never given a profile picture so that when I'm inputting data into the Sims2DB, I have to resort to taking an quick shot of their profile to put into their listing. I do believe it's because the hair,etc is scattered all over those files that they can't be rejoined.
I'd love to have just once where those split files did not screw up their profile pix.

Receptacle Refugee & Resident Polar Bear
"Get out of my way, young'un, I'm a ninja!"
Grave Matters: The funeral podium is available here: https://www.mediafire.com/file/e6tj...albits.zip/file
My other downloads are here: https://www.mediafire.com/?r=wbmnd#myfiles
Mad Poster
#28 Old 21st Jun 2024 at 2:47 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Charity
So, which is correct? Do they still come over when you call for a service or not?

We are talking about different things.

When you move in an NPC to a playable household, they become playable. They lose their NPC role, and a new NPC is created in that spot the next time someone calls them. For example, I moved in a maid the other day, a male with pale skin and blonde messy hair, and when the maid showed up for work at a neighbour's house the next day, a new maid had been generated - a female with dark skin and red hair.

When you use MidgeTheTree's NPC Apartment neighbours, NPCs are allowed to spawn as (nonplayable) apartment neighbours. These NPCs are not considered playable and they do not lose their roles - the maid shows up when you hire a maid, police officer appears when you call for an emergency etc, even if they are a neighbour in someone else's apartment. I like this because it makes it much easier to get to know the various NPCs without having to specifically hire that service etc, and makes those NPCs feel more a part of the neighbourhood rather than that they are just teleported in from space whenever they are needed

However, if I am playing an apartment and my neighbourhood currently has one maid, and they are my apartment neighbour, the game won't allow that neighbour to show up for maid service, so a new maid will be created. So it can cause excess sim creation and some players may dislike this (e.g. if you have antiredundancy installed). If it bothers you, you can always go into the mod and edit which types of NPC are allowed to be used as neighbours. Personally I don't mind this at all.

I am experiencing an issue currently, where apartment lots, usually where I have had a neighbour move in or out and then when I play another playable neighbour's lot, sometimes create multiple clones of sims who all start talking to each other I am unsure if it's related to that mod. Currently I just treat the symptom (use a teleporter to clear off non-residents, sometimes quit without saving to avoid that relationship being created, not that a relationship with self is harmful, it just creates unfulfillable wants) and put it down to "apartments are buggy" but I might investigate it more closely at some point.

I use the sims as a psychology simulator...
Mad Poster
#29 Old 21st Jun 2024 at 3:14 PM
Quote: Originally posted by FranH
The real problem I've seen with incorporating service NPC's/townies with split files is that they almost never have an updated picture in SimPE-I have a couple from the pool and they're never given a profile picture so that when I'm inputting data into the Sims2DB, I have to resort to taking an quick shot of their profile to put into their listing. I do believe it's because the hair,etc is scattered all over those files that they can't be rejoined.
I'd love to have just once where those split files did not screw up their profile pix.

Just write down the file number of the sims whose portraits you want, and get the portrait out of that file. The portrait is always in the file that doesn't end in .1, unless the sim is a newborn baby. There's no reason to load the whole neighborhood just extract portraits.
Mad Poster
#30 Old 21st Jun 2024 at 4:01 PM
Quote: Originally posted by simsfreq
We are talking about different things.

When you move in an NPC to a playable household, they become playable. They lose their NPC role, and a new NPC is created in that spot the next time someone calls them. For example, I moved in a maid the other day, a male with pale skin and blonde messy hair, and when the maid showed up for work at a neighbour's house the next day, a new maid had been generated - a female with dark skin and red hair.

Yeah, I know that. My original question had been about making something that allowed moved in NPCs to be able to keep their jobs.

Quote: Originally posted by kestrellyn
Just write down the file number of the sims whose portraits you want, and get the portrait out of that file. The portrait is always in the file that doesn't end in .1, unless the sim is a newborn baby. There's no reason to load the whole neighborhood just extract portraits.

That's weird. The larger files for me are the .1 ones and the portraits are in there.
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#31 Old 21st Jun 2024 at 6:12 PM
That's weird. The larger files for me are the .1 ones and the portraits are in there.

From what I see, the way the file is split seems to depend upon what aspect of the character was changed. For some split file NPCs, I can change their appearance in-game just fine with the gussyup mod. But for others, doing that completely breaks their face and I get a horrible faceless monster!

Quote: Originally posted by FranH
The real problem I've seen with incorporating service NPC's/townies with split files is that they almost never have an updated picture in SimPE-I have a couple from the pool and they're never given a profile picture so that when I'm inputting data into the Sims2DB, I have to resort to taking an quick shot of their profile to put into their listing.

Does exporting the images with SimPE not work? You can do this without launching SimPE by using the -rufio switch.

I can see the profile pics of my split character NPCs using that.
Screenshots
Mad Poster
#32 Old 21st Jun 2024 at 9:54 PM
Quote: Originally posted by simsample
From what I see, the way the file is split seems to depend upon what aspect of the character was changed. For some split file NPCs, I can change their appearance in-game just fine with the gussyup mod. But for others, doing that completely breaks their face and I get a horrible faceless monster!

Does exporting the images with SimPE not work? You can do this without launching SimPE by using the -rufio switch.

I can see the profile pics of my split character NPCs using that.

I do have that program-I honestly didn't think of that..of course,
I'll see what I can do.

Receptacle Refugee & Resident Polar Bear
"Get out of my way, young'un, I'm a ninja!"
Grave Matters: The funeral podium is available here: https://www.mediafire.com/file/e6tj...albits.zip/file
My other downloads are here: https://www.mediafire.com/?r=wbmnd#myfiles
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#33 Old 30th Jun 2024 at 10:53 AM
Do you think service npc animation/interaction can be enabled or transfered to playable and townie sims? Just food for thoughts.
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#34 Old 30th Jun 2024 at 11:45 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Lena88
Do you think service npc animation/interaction can be enabled or transfered to playable and townie sims? Just food for thoughts.

You can change a playable sim or townie into a service NPC if that's what you are asking.
Mad Poster
#35 Old 30th Jun 2024 at 3:36 PM
You can change a playable sim or townie into a service NPC if that's what you are asking.

You can?
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#36 Old 30th Jun 2024 at 3:56 PM
You can?

https://modthesims.info/showthread....152#post5875152

I don't think it's possible to have them live in a playable household as an NPC though. Some players have sim duplicates (for example- have their sim in a firefighter career, and have a custom clone of that sim as an NPC firefighter so that they appear on lots to put out fires).
Alchemist
#37 Old 2nd Jul 2024 at 9:25 PM
https://modthesims.info/showthread....152#post5875152

I don't think it's possible to have them live in a playable household as an NPC though. Some players have sim duplicates (for example- have their sim in a firefighter career, and have a custom clone of that sim as an NPC firefighter so that they appear on lots to put out fires).

I have duplicates for the firefighter, the mail carrier, the paperboy, the animal control officer and the social worker.
Page 2 of 2