Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Mad Poster
#26 Old 11th Jun 2024 at 8:56 AM
Your story is not consistent. First you say that you identified the professors' character files because their names were listed in SimPE, and then later you said that the professors were the "empty characters" that were listed as "Unknown".

The errors you posted show that the sims' character files were deleted, which is, coincidentally enough, something that you literally said you did. Maybe you didn't do it with these specific professors, maybe you did it again earlier to try to "fix" some other problem since that seems to be a go-to strategy for you. Either you deleted those files, or some other process on your computer did.
Advertisement
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#27 Old 11th Jun 2024 at 9:06 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Kahla
Okay sure:
1-Game was fine, and I wanted to change professors majors
2- I open SimPE and change professors majors

I think it's pretty clear that something has been corrupted- the best thing to do is to revert to a backup from before you edited the professors. Do you have one? I'm not sure you'd be able to recover a hood with actual missing data at all, although you could probably salvage the lots and sims (via alt simsurgery) from it if you can open it in SimPE.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#28 Old 11th Jun 2024 at 5:07 PM
Quote: Originally posted by kestrellyn
Your story is not consistent. First you say that you identified the professors' character files because their names were listed in SimPE, and then later you said that the professors were the "empty characters" that were listed as "Unknown".

The errors you posted show that the sims' character files were deleted, which is, coincidentally enough, something that you literally said you did. Maybe you didn't do it with these specific professors, maybe you did it again earlier to try to "fix" some other problem since that seems to be a go-to strategy for you. Either you deleted those files, or some other process on your computer did.
~

It is consistent, nothing was deleted, I can assure that. The only confusion from my part was when I run the game if before or after testing SimPE without those files, I have no idea how to delete files using SimPe, neither deleted them from the folder.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#29 Old 11th Jun 2024 at 5:09 PM
Quote: Originally posted by simsample
I think it's pretty clear that something has been corrupted- the best thing to do is to revert to a backup from before you edited the professors. Do you have one? I'm not sure you'd be able to recover a hood with actual missing data at all, although you could probably salvage the lots and sims (via alt simsurgery) from it if you can open it in SimPE.

Unfortunately I don't have a backup, how can I for eg. save this neighborhood what are the options? To use alt sims surgery, but those characters are empty files, is it possible to located those files, where?
Mad Poster
#30 Old 11th Jun 2024 at 5:20 PM
I thought that the empty files were just the extra professors? Are all your sims empty files now?
Test Subject
Original Poster
#31 Old 11th Jun 2024 at 5:27 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Charity
I thought that the empty files were just the extra professors? Are all your sims empty files now?

No, the empty files are only those I showed in the screenshot, all the others are fine.
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#32 Old 11th Jun 2024 at 5:31 PM
Unfortunately I don't have a backup, how can I for eg. save this neighborhood what are the options? To use alt sims surgery, but those characters are empty files, is it possible to located those files, where?

You'd have to make a duplicate of the neighbourhood if it's unplayable. You could use Hood Replace to copy the neighbourhood terrain, lots, deco and roads to a new hood, using this tutorial:
https://modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=468987
Then you'd need to copy the sims using the Alt Sims Surgery plugin of SimPE to copy the templates, and remake them in Bodyshop/CAS from those templates to put them in-game. You'd then need to re-create relationships, family ties, career data etc., as desired. A lot of work, but possible. In future remember to backup anything you value often (this applies to other data such as your 3d art, writing, school/ work stuff, digital photos, chat data, emails... everything!)
Mad Poster
#33 Old 11th Jun 2024 at 5:46 PM
What simsample said. If the empty files are just the professors, then you should be able to remake the other sims.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#34 Old 11th Jun 2024 at 6:44 PM
You'd have to make a duplicate of the neighborhood if it's unplayable. You could use Hood Replace to copy the neighborhood terrain, lots, deco and roads to a new hood, using this tutorial:
https://modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=468987
Then you'd need to copy the sims using the Alt Sims Surgery plugin of SimPE to copy the templates and remake them in Bodyshop/CAS from those templates to put them in-game. You'd then need to re-create relationships, family ties, career data etc., as desired. A lot of work, but possible. In future remember to backup anything you value often (this applies to other data such as your 3d art, writing, school/ work stuff, digital photos, chat data, emails... everything!)

Yes thank you your last advice is valuable, to keep backup I usually do but never did with this game, and sorry if I have been describing the events in a confusing way(I'm confuse in RL ) but from your first advice to use the hood replace, there are histories from the relationships and generations since the first sims there, now have many many generations, so the valuable thing there are not their appearance or the neighborhood itself, but their history/relationship, then I'd rather play in another neighborhood, but then I want ask you if I could try to delete those files empty showing in my screenshot, where to locate those files? They are not in the characters folder.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#35 Old 11th Jun 2024 at 6:46 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Charity
What simsample said. If the empty files are just the professors, then you should be able to remake the other sims.

Yes, I tested playing in another neighborhood and nothing is wrong, only in that specific one, but I wanted the sims with their relationships too
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#36 Old 11th Jun 2024 at 7:47 PM
I want ask you if I could try to delete those files empty showing in my screenshot, where to locate those files? They are not in the characters folder.

You could try this method:
http://www.moreawesomethanyou.com/s...pic,6205.0.html
Test Subject
Original Poster
#37 Old 11th Jun 2024 at 7:59 PM
You could try this method:
http://www.moreawesomethanyou.com/s...pic,6205.0.html

I cannot do this method because(again I think I was not clear) I'm not able to play in the PleasantView neither in it's subhoods, when I mentioned I can play in other neighborhoods I meant out of PleasantView, sorry for the confusion. Is there any other way, eg using SimPe? Or locating using explorer?
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#38 Old 11th Jun 2024 at 9:31 PM
So sorry, I can't think of another way that would be useful. I'm not really sure what happened to your hood, because I'm not really certain of where the corruption happened. Your best bet would be to make a new hood.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#39 Old 11th Jun 2024 at 10:16 PM
So sorry, I can't think of another way that would be useful. I'm not really sure what happened to your hood, because I'm not really certain of where the corruption happened. Your best bet would be to make a new hood.

Yes, I'm already doing that, tired of trying to fix, I found the Theo's plugin to delete sims using SimPe, Yes now I started deleting for real haha because I see no way to recover, then I follow instructions and deleted some that showed duplicated in some other list... I also have no idea what happened but seems even if I correct one side the other side break, I removed the empty files and the duplicated sims in the sim description then I was able to load the alt sims surgery and started to copy those to the new hood, thank you very much for your efforts to try help, and thank all the other greater ones who also joined this thread to try help solve this
I'm giving up trying to fix, and I heard it is possible to backup the game using SimPE but I never tried that before, I'm now searching how to, and avoid a new stressful situation like this.
Mad Poster
#40 Old 12th Jun 2024 at 11:40 AM
Tools - Neighbourhood - Neighbourhood Browser

You can see in the screenshot where the backup function is.

Quote: Originally posted by kestrellyn
You literally removed the character files from the Characters folder, that is deleting the files from the neighborhood. You deleted the files from the neighborhood, and the same thing is what caused your problems with "empty files" - they were deleted from the neighborhood. I'm not sure what you're having trouble with here.

I think you guys are talking at cross purposes lol. Yes, technically Kahla did not delete the files, because she put them back. But, when SimPE was run without them it behaved as if they'd been deleted and further screwed things up.
Screenshots
Scholar
#41 Old 14th Jun 2024 at 2:53 AM
SimPE will deliberately not impact the neighbourhood if it doesn't find a sim's character file because some sim's files are in the downloads folder where it doesn't find them, so loading the 'hood with SimPE while character files are removed does no harm. Loading the game without them does do harm though.

When SimPE shows that warning it means one of two things, either two or more sims have the same GUID which is extremely rare because the game won't load two files with the same GUID, one will override the other, also very difficult to fix. Or two sims have the same neighbour id (the message shows that as inst).

A sim's neighbour id is almost always the same value as the instance number of the sims description (SDSC) but it doesn't have to be. In newer versions of SimPE this is shown on the SDSC as 'Neighbour Instance' where you can change it if needed, specifically to help fixing this error. You'll need to find the sim whose 'Neighbour Instance' doesn't match the instance number of the SDSC.

Screenshots
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#42 Old 14th Jun 2024 at 11:03 AM
Thank you @Chris Hatch , I'm not sure whether the neighbourhood would be recoverable, it would be a case of going through each of the sims in SimPE and checking everything I suppose.
Me? Sarcastic? Never.
staff: administrator
#43 Old 14th Jun 2024 at 10:39 PM
Mad Poster
#44 Old 14th Jun 2024 at 11:02 PM
I am giving OP advice as to how to avoid this in the future. I'm not being pedantic - I'm merely restating what I've been saying this entire time because people are wilfully misunderstanding me for some reason.

Also, whatever you did has left a permanent notification of a reply for me that won't go away. Please fix that, thanks.
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
Mad Poster
#46 Old 15th Jun 2024 at 1:51 AM
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#47 Old 15th Jun 2024 at 10:54 AM
Best thing to do is to post in the site issues forum.
Edit- oh, I see you did! Well done.
Page 2 of 2