Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 16th Jul 2024 at 4:13 PM Last edited by ed95 : Today at 5:01 PM.
Default [Testers Wanted] Sullen Hollow: a custom neighbourhood
So I've finally buckled up and encouraged myself to publish this neighbourhood I had sitting on a shelf!

SULLEN HOLLOW

Sullen Hollow is a little and old northern village, nested between the mountains and the Deep Lake. Don't let its quaintness fool you, though; this is quite an interesting place!

The nhood comes with a total of 87 character files: 15 moved-in playables, 6 sims in the family bin, 2 townies (the Katsaris siblings), and 1 NPC: Jake Wheeler, the newspaper boy (who's also involved in the plot), as you can see. The remaining 63 sims are ancestors, of which every playable has and should all be complete and safely resurrectable. Some of them also have personal bios. There should be no more NPCs or/and Townies.

There are 26 lots in the nhood: 4 commercial, 6 occupied, 15* (I missed one) unoccupied and 1 vacant ─plus the special hobby and magic lots.

The neighbourhood wheighs 65'5 MB, and you need all Expansion Packs up to and including Mansion & Garden stuff pack ─or the Complete Collection. I tried, however, to keep a base game ambiance, so you shouldn't worry about Stuff Packs. All sims and lots should be completely clean and have been minimally played. The ID of the nhood is SLHW.

I consider this 'hood "mostly finished"; I've playtested a little and it works pretty well on my game (only the Casato lot bugged out, for some reason); however, feel free to suggest ANYTHING, from technical aspects to storyline ones ─firstly, I need a better way to take photos, as you see!! This is my very first upload, so I'm testing the waters!!! If people get interested and is up to the standards, I would glady send it for download on the main site

As you can see if you peeked on the story, this all sounds familiar; let me know what you think of my idea. And just... enjoy it, if you find enjoyable!!

You can download the nhood and the terrain from Drive on the following links:

Nhood download

Terrain download

For the nhood, simply plop the folder on your EA Games/TheSims 2/Neighbourhoods folder of My Documents. For the terrain, put all the contents of my folder on SC4Terrains.

Thanks!!!

EDIT: Since I got bored, I made some more descriptions and photos, so you have a better idea of what you get with Sullen Hollow.
Advertisement
Forum Resident
#2 Old 16th Sep 2024 at 12:17 AM Last edited by Sokisims : 16th Sep 2024 at 12:32 AM.
It looks very nice, I'm downloading it ^^

Edit:The landscaping and houses look amazing and I love the Golden and Killjoy family. I really like the bottom part of the map, maybe I would add a special lot in that area or some beach. But overall it looks amazing and I haven't even played it.

Maybe I would work on some good photos for each family album.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#3 Old 16th Sep 2024 at 12:52 PM
Oooh thanks a lot @Sokisims!! In my playthrough, tha Killjoys are the family I had the most fun with❤️ they're such a mess!!

Thanks for your feedback, I really was insecure about the houses. I would really want to make complete family albums taking photos on a backup version of the nhood, but I'm not sure about how to accomplish that.

I was thinking of making more lots on the, well, sullen area of the map. I also want to elaborate more the story, but just a little bit in order to make it ambigous.

Again, thanks a lot!!
Test Subject
#4 Old 16th Sep 2024 at 10:46 PM
when the story is finished, if you need a hand to translate it in Italian for foreign players like me to play it, I am willing to help you!
Forum Resident
#5 Old Yesterday at 1:46 AM
Quote: Originally posted by ed95
Oooh thanks a lot @Sokisims!! In my playthrough, tha Killjoys are the family I had the most fun with❤️ they're such a mess!!

Thanks for your feedback, I really was insecure about the houses. I would really want to make complete family albums taking photos on a backup version of the nhood, but I'm not sure about how to accomplish that.

I was thinking of making more lots on the, well, sullen area of the map. I also want to elaborate more the story, but just a little bit in order to make it ambigous.

Again, thanks a lot!!

In my opinion, the best thing is to take screenshots with a program or windows and then take random photos in the game and with a photo edition program copy each screenshot into each snapshot and thumbnail file. This way you can choose each photo better. The quality is also better.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#6 Old Today at 4:22 PM
Thanks for all your feedback!!

@sokisims, I experimented and what you said helped a lot!!! Btw, I'm really honored by you taking an interest on my nhood given the quality of the ones you've made here!!

@DinaMarBoobs, thanks for your help! I'm actually Spanish, so I can give you the text in the languaje you're more comfortable with for translation and make different versions of Sullen Hollow!!

I spent some time yesterday thinking about the story and I have it all clear now. I may write a couple of lines on the texts I already have, but I intend to tell it all through the photo albums, with higher quality screenshots. If I learn how to use it, I may also make some custom scripted events (flavor text) for each family.

As of now, I've updated the first post with photos of each built lot and more information on each family of the nhood. Thanks again for your interest!