Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Instructor
Original Poster
#1 Old 13th Aug 2024 at 7:56 PM Last edited by chitownriverscum : 19th Aug 2024 at 6:43 AM.

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Seasons
Default FIXED - isolated household issue: Sims just stand around doing nothing, and snapping out of activities
I have one household in my Rome neighborhood where the Sims don't seem to have any drive to do anything. Unless I'm directing their activity, they'll stand in the sort of "bored" slump posture, coming to attention every few seconds, and then slumping again. I'll tell them to "sit at fire" (one of those artificially exciting fireplaces with a 15 fun rating), but sometimes if another Sim is directed to do so, the first one jumps out of their chair and goes back to doing nothing. With activities like playing instruments, they'll happily continue until the cows come home, or until they starve to death: there's no stopping once their fun meter is filled.
Not sure if this could be related, but they also don't seem to eat correctly, doing the "speed chew" thing without moving the food to their mouths or gaining any nutrition points... unless it's one of those CC fruits that they picked up off the ground - those they'll gobble up, as well as junk food from the pantry.
Their motives also seem to decay a tad too quickly, and they'll have bladder and energy crises, throwing tantrums and passing out, rather than do anything about it, unless I point them to the toilet. It's almost as though free will was turned off for the household, only... I checked.
Now, before y'all jump to the "your Mac's over the file limit" diagnosis (which I'm not negating)... I should tell you that this is happening IN THE ONE HOUSEHOLD ONLY... nobody else in the neighborhood seems to have a similar issue, nor anybody in the other hoods. It's very odd. I've tried deleting the Sims and exiting the lot to let them respawn; when they come back, they're just as listless as before. Is it porfiria? Contagious ennui? I don't know what is happening. I call it the House of Zombies... they seem to have no minds of their own.
I suppose the next step would be to turn on the testing cheats, and see what pops up when they "reset" themselves. Yes? Or can the Batbox assist here?

NEWS - the error object is the Sim (Marcus Brutus, his wife, his mother, his mother's body slave - take your pick); the error is "Slot number out of range". I can upload the error log text, if that's useful, but it's the same error every time.
Screenshots

My beard grows to my toes;
I never wears no clothes;
I wraps my hair
Around my bare,
And down the road I goes. -Shel Silverstein
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 13th Aug 2024 at 8:19 PM
http://simswiki.info/wiki.php?title...er_out_of_range

Could be you've got a CC item with borked slots that the sim is trying to access.

Have you tried with different tables? Chairs? Tried removing tables or other slotted objects the sim is trying to access (remove from the lot), to see if any of them is causing this? If it's just this lot, it could be an item that's only been placed on this lot.
Instructor
Original Poster
#3 Old 13th Aug 2024 at 9:47 PM
Quote: Originally posted by simmer22
http://simswiki.info/wiki.php?title...er_out_of_range

Could be you've got a CC item with borked slots that the sim is trying to access.

Have you tried with different tables? Chairs? Tried removing tables or other slotted objects the sim is trying to access (remove from the lot), to see if any of them is causing this? If it's just this lot, it could be an item that's only been placed on this lot.

Well, I know for a fact that that ultra-fun campfire can be problematic. But the Sims do this constantly, not just when interacting with that object. Does the error log give any indication of what they're trying to interact with? I'll replace the fire, and see what happens.

I wraps my hair
Around my bare,
Mad Poster
#4 Old 14th Aug 2024 at 8:48 AM
Post the error log.

Sims don't quit using skilling objects just because they maxed out fun, otherwise it would be impossible to use them to actually skill.
Instructor
Original Poster
#5 Old 17th Aug 2024 at 6:43 PM
Quote: Originally posted by kestrellyn
Post the error log.

Sims don't quit using skilling objects just because they maxed out fun, otherwise it would be impossible to use them to actually skill.

Interesting. Well, annoyingly, the error .txt file is 69 kb, just barely over the limit, so I zipped it down to 14 kb.
Attached files:
File Type: zip  ObjectError_N006_t249294.txt.zip (14.3 KB, 6 downloads)

I wraps my hair
Around my bare,
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#6 Old 17th Aug 2024 at 9:55 PM
Mentions the poker table and an oil lamp. Maybe you have a lamp blocking slots to the table?

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Instructor
Original Poster
#7 Old 17th Aug 2024 at 11:23 PM
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
Mentions the poker table and an oil lamp. Maybe you have a lamp blocking slots to the table?

The oil lamp is wall-mounted, so I'm not sure it would cause that sort of problem... but maybe. The poker table is a custom one, so maybe it's also different in the way it takes up space. I'm also uploading an earlier error log, one that mentions the firepit; maybe someone can explain WHY it's problematic. I believe it was causing problems for me in another neighborhood. I use it in these "ancient" neighborhoods in place of a TV, because it scores a 15 on the fun-o-meter. It also looks quite nice at night. There's another one that works just as well, but is horribly ugly. But maybe I should just use it anyway, and put one of those invisible fireplaces on top of it, to hide the bright orange firewood.
Attached files:
File Type: txt  ObjectError_N006_t248818.txt (56.8 KB, 8 downloads)

I wraps my hair
Around my bare,
Mad Poster
#8 Old 18th Aug 2024 at 1:30 AM
For some reason, the oil lamp is in one of the poker table's seat slots. Try deleting and replacing the poker table.

No way to tell what's wrong with the campfire without looking at the actual object.
Instructor
Original Poster
#9 Old 18th Aug 2024 at 2:25 AM
For some reason, the oil lamp is in one of the poker table's seat slots. Try deleting and replacing the poker table.

No way to tell what's wrong with the campfire without looking at the actual object.

Thanks, I will do that. Possibly I can even find a different one, something with an adjustable advertising level would be nice. I know there was no such thing as poker in 23 BC, (or chess, for that matter), but I just pretend they're shooting craps. I've tried the actual craps tables, and they tend to give my game the hiccups. I'll check out the Almighty Hat - maybe she has a good old-timey poker DR.

Here's the camp-fire, as well as its guitar and roasting potato... I think it was created by someone in a country where smores aren't really a thing.
Attached files:
File Type: zip  Camp-Fire & accoutrements.zip (513.0 KB, 4 downloads)

I wraps my hair
Around my bare,
Mad Poster
#10 Old 18th Aug 2024 at 3:31 AM
That error just happened because someone who was on the lot at some point left the lot at the wrong time. Nothing is actually wrong.
Instructor
Original Poster
#11 Old 18th Aug 2024 at 5:38 AM
That error just happened because someone who was on the lot at some point left the lot at the wrong time. Nothing is actually wrong.

Okay, weird. I guess I assumed it was a problematic object because I've seen it come up quite a few times in error logs. And then last week, Sims on a certain lot tried to light the fire, made the motions, but nothing happened. It is kind of a funny item... if seating is available nearby, Sims will use it when directed to "Sit at fire". If not, they will sit on the ground, sometimes right next to the fire, and sometimes also facing away from it. The animations of the guitar and potato are also quite weird, as if they were cloned from something unrelated. Well, if it's not causing any issues, I guess I'll keep using it, til I find something better. Thanks for checking it out for me.

I wraps my hair
Around my bare,
Mad Poster
#12 Old 18th Aug 2024 at 10:31 AM
Yeah, it might occasionally throw errors and get reset and not work, but if that's all happening in the main function of the object that shouldn't interrupt any sims that aren't currently interacting with it. It could have been made better for sure.