Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
Original Poster
#1 Old 15th Feb 2009 at 12:44 PM
Default Porch fences; column (stair recolour found)
I'm looking for three things:

1. Porch fences

A white fence with colums and one without, pretty much like the white ones in the screenshot below (that's the "classic" porch fence by HolySimoly), but simpler.

* Column should be a simple, square column (not as ornate as the HolySimoly one);
* Column must be exactly as high as a wall;
* Fences should be shaped more or less like the EAxian deck stairs matching fence (the brown one in the pic) -- i.e. really simple, no ornaments;
* Low fence must *not* have fenceposts on every tile, only at the corners;
* High fence doesn't need to have that "top bit" (I'd actually prefer if it didn't);
* Must be wood, not wrought iron or anything else;
* Colour must be white but not bucketfill white (what's often called "clean white") -- the colour of the HolySimoly one is good, it could also have a little more wood structure than that.

2. Column -- solved itself (the one I had, from Reyn's Porch Set at mts2, is working fine now)

3. Stair recolour -- found; thank you!

I'm only interested in things I can freely include in lots I upload on free sites. No booty stuff, no pay stuff.

I believe I know every column, fence, and stair recolour on mts2 (and Marina and HolySimoly) -- but I know hardly any stuff from other sites, so, most likely those things are hiding somewhere in the outside world =).

I'd be grateful for any pointers. Thank you!

Stuff for TS2 · TS3 · TS4 | Please do not PM me with technical questions – we have Create forums for that.

In the kingdom of the blind, do as the Romans do.
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 15th Feb 2009 at 1:24 PM
I have some stairs that are a bit darker here.

http://www.modthesims2.com/download.php?t=264747
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
Original Poster
#3 Old 15th Feb 2009 at 2:17 PM
Thank you, I have these, they're nice =) -- in this case I'm specifically looking for recolours though, not separate stairs.

Stuff for TS2 · TS3 · TS4 | Please do not PM me with technical questions – we have Create forums for that.

Test Subject
#4 Old 15th Feb 2009 at 5:37 PM
This is the closest I could think of for the right off the top of my head, as far as the railings goes. I see it still has the metal at the bottom though. Maybe someone can think of something closer:
http://www.aussietopenders-sims2.com/Build.htm
They also have a "fence pack" here: http://www.aussietopenders-sims2.com/Build.htm
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
Original Poster
#5 Old 15th Feb 2009 at 6:24 PM
I know that one, thanks -- it has no matching low fence though, and yes, the metal bit.

Top Secret Researcher
#6 Old 15th Feb 2009 at 7:27 PM
Have you seen these? I use them the same way, on fenceposts, and I have a white recolor that I made for personal use and would be happy to give you if you wanted it.

Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
Original Poster
#7 Old 15th Feb 2009 at 8:53 PM
Daisie: the problem with these is that they sit exactly *in* the corner, so they don't hide the fenceposts =( whichever tile I put them on, they're always off. (They are great for porches without fences, of course)

#8 Old 16th Feb 2009 at 12:13 AM
I've done both Numenor's stairs and tbudgett's stairs in that Maxis mahogany color, along with a matching Pinegultcher fence if you'd like them. All my stuff is share anywhere. You can get them here:
http://www.nectere.net/smf/index.ph...g23680#msg23680
Me? Sarcastic? Never.
staff: administrator
#9 Old 16th Feb 2009 at 12:32 AM
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
Original Poster
#10 Old 16th Feb 2009 at 1:01 AM
@amythestfenix: Shiny! *downloads* Thank you =)

@HugeLunatic: Yes, in principle that's what I want, only in white.

Edit: Suddenly the funkiness of the Reyn column seems to be gone? Right now I see no weird lighting on it in my game .. strange. I'm still interested in finding a fence like the one I've described above though.

#11 Old 17th Feb 2009 at 12:01 AM
I did a couple of fences that might work for you; I'm not sure if the white is what you are looking for. There's the matching column and short version of the EA plain wooden fence and the matching column and short version of the EA longhorn fence:

http://www.nectere.net/smf/index.php?topic=1620.0

Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
Original Poster
#12 Old 17th Feb 2009 at 3:13 AM
@amythestfenix -- I hope it's OK if I reply here about this (let me know if it isnt):

I found something odd with your Numenor stair recolour, but I'm not sure how this is actually supposed to work, so .. maybe it isn't all that odd:

In addition to the Numenor stairs, I also have Reyn's Open Underneath version in my game: http://www.modthesims2.com/download.php?t=221958 -- normally, all recolours that work for the Numenor stairs also work for the Reyn ones. Only yours don't ..!?

Do you have any idea why this could be? I've already regenerated all thumbnails files and put both stairs in and out of my game, still no dice.

(I made some recolours myself some time ago, and I don't remember doing anything special -- they Just Worked for both stairs. All other recolours I have also show up for both stairs, and I only have one recolour each .. many of them are from a time when the Reyn stairs didn't even exist yet).

Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
Original Poster
#13 Old 17th Feb 2009 at 3:28 AM
Re. the fences (I'm about to register at the Laden Swallow, but this takes some time it appears, hence why I'm still here =) -- did you do these specifically to fulfill my requst/search :O ? Or did you have them in the works anyway?

If it's the former, thank you a million =) right now it's not quite what I'm looking for -- here's the differences I see, but please don't feel pressured in any way, I'm well aware that you're not my employee! =D

1. It appears like the columns might be a little too short;
2. Does the low fence have posts on every tile? Or did you put the posts there on purpose (so that we can see how the low posts look like)?
3. The white does look a little too clean on the screenshot

Oh, now I see that they're already available for download! -- I'll check them out in-game and edit this post later.

Edit: the high fences don't work in my game -- did you perhaps clone them from something that requires an EP? I tested with NL+OfB+Seasons.

The texture is actually nice, much nicer than I could guess from the screenhots! It could just have a little more shadows (that's mainly what makes a white look realistic in my eyes).

#14 Old 17th Feb 2009 at 3:58 AM
I'm not sure what was the problem with the Numenor recolor, I just pulled it from my game files and I probably never noticed that it didn't recolor the Reyn stairs. However, I just did a new version (which seem to work fine on both) and swapped out the files; so redownload and let the new one overwrite the old.

As for the white fences- I just cloned and recolored the EA versions of the column fences, which probably came with M&G, for you. The originals are not clean white. The low fence is the base game one, done to match; as I don't mesh, it's not possible for me to change it. It was not a lot of effort, so if these are not useful for your project, other people might like them and I'll use them myself

Oh, if you'd like them in a different white that would be possible. I love your lots and use them all the time, and I'm happy to help out!
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
Original Poster
#15 Old 17th Feb 2009 at 5:14 AM
Hello

Thanks so much for fixing the stairs! =)

If the fences require M+G that means I can't use them =( -- so, no need to fiddle with them, not because of what I said at least.

#16 Old 17th Feb 2009 at 5:50 AM
Thanks for the feedback on the shadows- I'll see about darkening them on the texture. I'm sorry the high fences won't work for your project, perhaps a mesher could tweak them for you Let me know if there's something else I could help with sometime!
Forum Resident
#17 Old 17th Feb 2009 at 2:08 PM
I'm pretty sure i have a block column in white like that pic by hugelunatic....dont know where it's from though...but it is out there.
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
Original Poster
#18 Old 18th Feb 2009 at 4:40 AM
The column isn't really an issue anymore -- one that I already have is working fine now (it had odd lighting issues a while ago, so I didn't think I could use it for this). I've updated the OP to reflect that.

Me? Sarcastic? Never.
staff: administrator
#19 Old 18th Feb 2009 at 6:01 AM
Are you still looking for the fence then?

I wanted this for my game anyway, but I made that wood fence that matches Numenor's stairs. But it is also only the standard height fence, with no top bits. It isn't white yet, need to find the right white. And I am trying to force it to be recolorable; but I also want to see if it can be repository to something else.

If your interested I will get a picture up. Do you have a particular white recolor of Numenors stairs that you use?
Scholar
#20 Old 18th Feb 2009 at 2:59 PM
Jonesi has a similar fence but the forum is not open yet. I could upload it and send in a pm if you like.
xo

http://blackpearlsims.com/showthrea...highlight=fence

http://img171.imageshack.us/img171/...shot0051oc5.png

Rhondalatte's Custom CAS screens: http://blackpearlsims.com/ (formerly known as Reflex forum)

DeesElegantDecor - Beautiful furnishings:
http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/DeesElegantDecor/
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
Original Poster
#21 Old 19th Feb 2009 at 8:09 AM
I'm still looking for a fence, yes.

@HugeLunatic:

The white stair recolour that I currently use is the one by Reyn, from the Porch Set. I believe Reyn has already made a white fence like the one you describe -- look in the Porch Set thread! http://www.modthesims2.com/download.php?t=244186 (unless of course the white isn't to your taste)

If there were a no-posts-everywhere version of that fence, it would be quite perfect for my purpose (low fence + columns = high fence) .. but there doesn't seem to be one.

Actually, since you're mentioning repository: a fence that pulls its textures from the Numenor stairs would be quite awesome indeed (I believe that's the stairs the have been recoloured most often so far). But I believe fences can't be recoloured like objects, at least I've never seen a fence recolour that was a true recolour .. custom fences always seem to be clones. I guess there must be a reason for that.

@rhondalatte:

That looks like a nice fence -- but does it have a high version (porch fence, with colums)? Also, the fact that it has no posts at all kinda bothers me .. I'm not sure if it would look realistic for what I want to use it for.