Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Mad Poster
#13351 Old 5th Sep 2024 at 4:31 AM
Quote: Originally posted by simmer22
4t2 from game resources is in some ways technically MM since it's a direct conversion, but (in my opinion, as said above) not fully MM compared to TS2. The style of TS4 is just on the verge of being too cartoony, and there's something about the meshes and textures - and style - that feels out of place. The reverse is also true (tried converting my set of deco babies to TS4 a while back - they just look completely out of place. It also made me really grateful for TS2's much better handling of recolorable subsets, and alpha textures that actually behave the way you want them to... Making anything with alphas in TS4 is a nightmare, let alone having to edit multiple swatches when you find that one mistake all the swatches have - made me sincerely miss SimPE...).

What I find strange is that there's some 4t2 stuff that looks matchy (e.g. this set.) But others don't.

I'm secretly a Bulbasaur. | Formerly known as ihatemandatoryregister

Looking for SimWardrobe's mods? | Or Dizzy's? | Faiuwle/rufio's too! | smorbie1's Chris Hatch archives
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#13352 Old 5th Sep 2024 at 1:24 PM
I think maxis match has gotten more popular because a lot of the shiny semi realistic stuff that looked alright in 800×600-bulky-30 lb monitors don't really look good today on a higher resolution screen. Which is sad for me, because I really dislike cwrtoony Sims. I also suspect that the increase in art tutorials has something to do with maxis match's rise in popularity. You can go on YouTube and find a hundred videos about texture making. Back in the day, the average person would probably just grab a photo of wood or stone etc. from online.
Mad Poster
#13353 Old 5th Sep 2024 at 8:01 PM
I remember someone, I think @simsample, demonstrating how the Sims 2 exaggerated facial structures were designed for smaller resolutions.

Looking for SimWardrobe's mods? | Or Dizzy's? | Faiuwle/rufio's too! | smorbie1's Chris Hatch archives
Mad Poster
#13354 Old 5th Sep 2024 at 11:17 PM
How do you all get motivated to play with the actual sims themselves? I spend a lot of time in build mode and when I do create Sims I tend to not play with them very long as I tend lose motivation.

Because the earth is standing still, and the truth becomes a lie
A choice profound is bittersweet, no one hears Cassandra Goth cry

Mad Poster
Original Poster
#13355 Old 5th Sep 2024 at 11:34 PM
Quote: Originally posted by HarVee
How do you all get motivated to play with the actual sims themselves? I spend a lot of time in build mode and when I do create Sims I tend to not play with them very long as I tend lose motivation.
I'm the opposite! If I'm building a house, it's because I have some Sims desperate for somewhere decent to live. If I'm building a community lot. it's much the same -- to give my Sims somewhere interesting to go. To give them a variety of shops, clubs, restaurants, parks, swimming pools, etc. to go to. But whatever it is, my main concern is to finish it quickly so my Sims can use it. For me the real fun is the time that I spend with my Sims.

I'm still in love with Sims I've been playing for nearly twelve years now. In most cases they haven't even aged up.

All Sims are beautiful -- even the ugly ones.
My Simblr ~~ My LJ
Sims' lives matter!
The Veronaville kids are alright.
Forum Resident
#13356 Old 6th Sep 2024 at 9:22 PM
About hairstyles I usually like to use detailed deedee hairstyles mixed with 3t2, they fit very well together. I only use the pure sims2 style hairstyles for Plessantview style hoods or my custom hoods, to try to recreate that maxis match style of the game. I never use 4t2 hairs anymore, I think I only use clothes and objects from the sims 4.
Forum Resident
#13357 Old 6th Sep 2024 at 11:15 PM
Quote: Originally posted by simmer22
4t2 from game resources is in some ways technically MM since it's a direct conversion, but (in my opinion, as said above) not fully MM compared to TS2. The style of TS4 is just on the verge of being too cartoony, and there's something about the meshes and textures - and style - that feels out of place. The reverse is also true (tried converting my set of deco babies to TS4 a while back - they just look completely out of place.

Yeah I've found many 4t2 conversions end up looking like you're putting Duplos into a Sims 2 Lego environment. The level of detail isn't the same on a lot of objects that were streamlined for performance in TS4.
Mad Poster
#13358 Old 9th Sep 2024 at 12:34 AM
It's funny using ACR's Casual > WooHoo on two Sims who aren't interested in each other. They get onto the bed (sometimes naked), try to cuddle, then awkwardly get back up.

Instructor
#13359 Old 11th Sep 2024 at 3:43 AM
I started a hood with this recreation of Old Town map, and it looks SO PRETTY!

https://philosimy.tumblr.com/post/6...-the-sims-2-the

Screenshots
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#13360 Old 11th Sep 2024 at 10:12 AM
Quote: Originally posted by LauraPamplonaS
I started a hood with this recreation of Old Town map, and it looks SO PRETTY!

What a great find, how beautiful! I'd have to put Mama and Elden Hick in there!
Mad Poster
#13361 Old 11th Sep 2024 at 3:06 PM
I am getting quite sick and tired of "pink soup". I've already had it happen 4 times in one day.

Mad Poster
#13362 Old 12th Sep 2024 at 11:41 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Charity
Some of us have been doing testing on those booths. The consensus was that they only work properly on a community lot with a server podium. The waiters have some sort of magic that allows them to deal with the dishes and the diners just jump over each other.

This is really good to know actually as I put a similar setup on the "Maple Mid-Century" lot in Plot of Land, so I'm gonna have to readjust that lot's dining area in future builds.

Mad Poster
#13363 Old Yesterday at 4:11 PM
I know my eyes are bad. Even with my glasses on it's hard for me to focus binoculars and one reason I suck at birding is that it's hard for me to get smaller fieldmarks unless the bird is posing, and catalog thumbnails are simply ridiculous in the game. A lot of things I can't even tell what they're supposed to be unless I actually select them so I can see them in game.

But it strikes me how good other people's eyesight must be when I'm reading descriptions of new mods that're like: Yeah, the Maxis sclera are ugly but even the defaults X made are just a little too yellowy and flat for me so here's an eyeset with a little more texture and I didn't actually draw in the capillaries except for the Bloodshot versions but you can get just a little impression of them in the normal eyes -

Y'all might as well have Superman vision, as well as computers that could fly spaceships, compared to me.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Scholar
#13364 Old Yesterday at 6:54 PM
Quote: Originally posted by inspiredzone
Yeah I've found many 4t2 conversions end up looking like you're putting Duplos into a Sims 2 Lego environment. The level of detail isn't the same on a lot of objects that were streamlined for performance in TS4.

Some of them look odd in Sims 2, but I will say I use some 4t2 clothes in my game, and I think it overall looks okay. I even used 4t2 Clay Hair default replacements for all hair, and I felt it worked well with Sims 2. (With its share of mods, of course; default replacement eyes and skin, stuff like that)
Mad Poster
#13365 Old Yesterday at 7:22 PM
Quote: Originally posted by CatMuto
Some of them look odd in Sims 2, but I will say I use some 4t2 clothes in my game, and I think it overall looks okay. I even used 4t2 Clay Hair default replacements for all hair, and I felt it worked well with Sims 2. (With its share of mods, of course; default replacement eyes and skin, stuff like that)

Depends on the talent of the converter, IMO.

I don't like the clay hair, but it can look good as ethnic hair.
Mad Poster
#13366 Old Yesterday at 7:37 PM
A thing that kind of irks me with CC is instead of giving their creations a witty (or even semi-serious) description they just go like "This is made by x from/at x"... I get that you may want people to be able to identify who the creator is, but you could at least maybe put your name creatively in the description such as "Big Bushy Plant by HarVee Designs" this feels more natural, and you still let people know who created it.

I have honestly had to fix 70 percent of the CC I use because of this type of naming scheme. Maybe I'm just being nitpicky, idk.

e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#13367 Old Yesterday at 8:27 PM
I have honestly had to fix 70 percent of the CC I use because of this type of naming scheme. Maybe I'm just being nitpicky, idk.

The ones that always confuse me are when content has names like 'My pounding soul in Neutron Bomb'; I always think to myself, oh with such a distinctive name I'll remember for sure that's a sundress in lime green, but I never do.
Mad Poster
#13368 Old Yesterday at 8:32 PM
Honestly with a name like that I wouldn't be able to tell if Neutron Bomb is the creator or if that's the color palette. I'd get confused!

Scholar
#13369 Old Today at 12:04 PM
I know it can help to have more descriptive names, like I know what is meant when someone says "Newsea's Carousel Hair" and I'm all, oh, yeah, that high braid that goes over the shoulder. In comparison to some places like Wings, whose hairs are just ON0815. I do keep those in folders and image names so that I know what hair it is and what it looks like.

But there's also people that make these really long file names for their mods. platinumsimsgravestone_ripcolittlebakeroven_MALM_Birch or something like that. I keep having to rename the files to remove some of the info because I'm too concerned the long names mean the mod won't work in the sub-folder.
Mad Poster
#13370 Old Today at 1:35 PM
Honestly with a name like that I wouldn't be able to tell if Neutron Bomb is the creator or if that's the color palette. I'd get confused!

I've sometimes wondered if whoever named the pooklet colours is secretly a pyromaniac.

Instructor
#13371 Old Today at 3:48 PM
A thing that kind of irks me with CC is instead of giving their creations a witty (or even semi-serious) description they just go like "This is made by x from/at x"... I get that you may want people to be able to identify who the creator is, but you could at least maybe put your name creatively in the description such as "Big Bushy Plant by HarVee Designs" this feels more natural, and you still let people know who created it.

I agree. I hate when they make their CC hard to locate. I also hate when they don't put the files in folder then zip it, but zip it directly instead. It's not 2008 anymore to do that stuff and it's 100x easier and quicker to do that properly than to convert and create whole ass CC. Creators who name their files properly, add pics and put them in a folder deserve a special place in sims heaven.
Mad Poster
#13372 Old Today at 4:48 PM
Quote: Originally posted by moonlight__
I agree. I hate when they make their CC hard to locate. I also hate when they don't put the files in folder then zip it, but zip it directly instead. It's not 2008 anymore to do that stuff and it's 100x easier and quicker to do that properly than to convert and create whole ass CC. Creators who name their files properly, add pics and put them in a folder deserve a special place in sims heaven.

What's wrong with just putting your package files directly into a zip/rar? It's not that hard to select all and drag them to the downloads folder.
Top Secret Researcher
#13373 Old Today at 5:36 PM
Aww my Olivia Pope sim died, poor her children Jesus Pope, Francis Pope and Gay Pope.
Mad Poster
#13374 Old Today at 10:30 PM

I prefer something like "HarVee_BigBushyPlant.package" or "HarVee_ShortSetName_BigBushyPlant.package" (if it's part of a larger set) - much more compressed filename, the creator name is in the front (makes the file sorting way easier), it sorts with its own set if there are two or more items, fewer unnecessary spaces, special characters or words. Same for zip files. Name them similar to the files, and I'm happy.

The worst is when people spend 100+ characters on a filename that could easily be compressed down (Ohgawd if I see one more of those "Big Bushy Plant Using This Bit From Creator A and That Bit From Creator B and By The Way It also needs a set name at the end And Of Course Creator's Name" kind of files... GAAH!), or put EVERYTHING in folders within folders within folders in a zip file. I prefer no folders unless there's a very good reason for a folder to be there (pick-and-choose, large/complicated recolor sets with multiple meshes from various people, or similar). I open the zip file and put the files in a folder. I don't extract them into the wilderness of a jungle Downloads folder.
Page 535 of 535