Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old Yesterday at 2:03 AM
Default Weird game crash in normal gameplay, is this a sign of corruption?
Sorry if it's not descriptive enough, this is my first time posting here

I was just playing the sims 2 normally, running a home business, and suddenly my game just crashed. There was a sim that showed up (that I'm assuming was the cause of the crash) that had a completely red body, a head that wasn't even attached to the head, and it was T posing. Image attached

I installed TS2 from osab's starter pack. Testingcheats were enabled, but only for the make all happy cheat. Never done anything that causes corruption, I use the clean templates for hoods.

The hood I was playing was Veronavill
I ran the hood through HoodChecker, and there were a lot of "Sim does not exist" errors in the Sim Wants and Fears section. Also there were a lot of "Incorrect Subject Instance" errors and one "Unexpected Subject Instance" error.

This is my first time experiencing something like this ever, and I have never used HoodChecker before, so I don't know what it means.

Thanks to everyone that can help :D
Screenshots
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old Yesterday at 2:27 AM
Quote: Originally posted by JBolt
Sorry if it's not descriptive enough, this is my first time posting here

I was just playing the sims 2 normally, running a home business, and suddenly my game just crashed. There was a sim that showed up (that I'm assuming was the cause of the crash) that had a completely red body, a head that wasn't even attached to the head, and it was T posing. Image attached

I installed TS2 from osab's starter pack. Testingcheats were enabled, but only for the make all happy cheat. Never done anything that causes corruption, I use the clean templates for hoods.

The hood I was playing was Veronavill
I ran the hood through HoodChecker, and there were a lot of "Sim does not exist" errors in the Sim Wants and Fears section. Also there were a lot of "Incorrect Subject Instance" errors and one "Unexpected Subject Instance" error.

This is my first time experiencing something like this ever, and I have never used HoodChecker before, so I don't know what it means.

Thanks to everyone that can help :D

These are pretty common errors, especially with the Maxis neighborhoods. "Sim does not exist" error and 'Incorrect Subject Instance" and "Unexpected subject instance" is related to a memory not a having proper subject or owner set. You can fix this via SimPE, but I wouldn't worry too much about it and it's unlikely to be the source of the crash.

Going by the images you've shown, and considering the starter pack you used includes the Graphics Rules Maker, are you sure you card is correctly set to be used by the game, and that the allowed memory is the same as what your card supports? If this is set correctly, then this issue might be related to a corrupt or bad custom content on that particular Sim.

Because the earth is standing still, and the truth becomes a lie
A choice profound is bittersweet, no one hears Cassandra Goth cry

Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old Yesterday at 11:28 PM
Quote: Originally posted by HarVee
These are pretty common errors, especially with the Maxis neighborhoods. "Sim does not exist" error and 'Incorrect Subject Instance" and "Unexpected subject instance" is related to a memory not a having proper subject or owner set. You can fix this via SimPE, but I wouldn't worry too much about it and it's unlikely to be the source of the crash.

Going by the images you've shown, and considering the starter pack you used includes the Graphics Rules Maker, are you sure you card is correctly set to be used by the game, and that the allowed memory is the same as what your card supports? If this is set correctly, then this issue might be related to a corrupt or bad custom content on that particular Sim.

Yes it is set up fine, resolution and texture memory is all good. I think I might just continue playing on that hood for now, until something else happens. Did lose 2-3 hours of progress though. That's what I get for not saving...
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#4 Old Today at 2:42 AM
That's pink flashing, every sims 2 players arch nemeses. if you haven't had it before you have been lucky. There are plenty of videos about how you can lessen it. If you recently downloaded some items check the texture and poly sizes.

Also save every half hour or when something big happens like a birthday or promotion etc, as pink flashing crashes often will just happen out of the blue. And no its not corruption although crashing can cause corruption. If it crashes during saving, run hood checker. Sometimes just turning something off like shadows, neighbours, hood deco will prevent it.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#5 Old Today at 3:35 AM
Red/pink flashing and t-posing followed by a crash is a typical indication of the game running out of texture memory. Just restart it and hope it does better the next time.
Mad Poster
#6 Old Today at 5:08 AM
Pink flashing is usually tied to texture memory (could also be settings in GraphicRules, etc. - I had quite bad pink flashing for a while until I fixed a bug in my GR file, and I've only seen it in one particular case since). Walls/floors/ground usually won't flash pink. There's pink-flashing that happens when the game is using too much resources and "dumps" some of the memory load - often starts with one item and continues until everything is flashing pink. There's also "pink soup" issues where the game starts flashing pink almost from the loading screen finishes, or after visiting just one lot. "Pink soup" can sometimes be tied to bad settings in GR, or needing other fine-tuned settings.

Red flashing can be tied to graphic card issues and/or shaders - could be shader issues, drivers that need updating, shader mod conflicts, etc. Sometimes the game runs fine without shaders, but when shaders are turned on, everything (even walls/floors) start flashing red.

There's also blue-flashing, which is usually caused by the game not being able to find a material/texture. Most often it's repo'd meshes that can't find the master mesh, or a bug in the material links in the file(s).
Test Subject
Original Poster
#7 Old Today at 10:32 AM
First off, I want to say thanks to everyone that has replied! This is proof that many communities for games care more than the devs of the actual game.

I don't use CC as I just recently started playing.
Everything is set up correctly, never experienced any bugs after installing the starter pack. I did see the pink/red/blue flashing before, but only on a VM I was using before I discovered the starter pack.

I think I might go play TS3 for a while, heard it's quite good.

Sad that TS2 has so many bugs, its a really good game...

Will try everything said here, I also (after taking screenshot) realized I left a really RAM-intensive program in the background, maybe that's the reason for the texture memory running out (I don't know what texture memory is, so I'm just assuming)

Thanks again, and goodbye.
Mad Poster
#8 Old Today at 12:15 PM
Quote: Originally posted by JBolt
I think I might go play TS3 for a while, heard it's quite good.

Sad that TS2 has so many bugs, its a really good game...

I've heard that TS3 has way more bugs lol.