2 people viewing
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old Yesterday at 4:58 PM
Default Time freezes when placing specific objects
Hello,
I've recently had a weird glitch happening in my game; I was able to find a resized version of the Pot of Roses from Pets to place on end tables however whenever I place it time freezes completely. I can change the speed but my sims and the gameplay is completely frozen.It doesn't look to happen with other objects so far, I've recently deleted most of my buy downloads as they made the game too slow, except for store/maxoids/maxis match addons.

Does anyone have a clue on the reason why? I'm trying to find a link to the object but I can't find the post anymore ^^" I know it's from theninthwavesims.com, like other items/recolors I've used in the past with no issue.

I'm thinking it might be some conflict with a mod to shift/place objects anywhere? Or there might be some value to fix in SimPe, maybe?
Mad Poster
#2 Old Yesterday at 9:53 PM
For some reason the item doesn't have a custom star. Is it a custom object or a default replacement? If it's a custom object that's meant to be showing up alongside the original, it's possible there is a GUID conflict and/or something similar that's causing the freeze.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old Today at 8:33 AM
Hi simmer22, it doesn't have a star because I've got a default replacement to remove it (no CC icon at all) - I think the item it's supposed to be a smaller version of the Pot o Roses and it's slaved to the original one as it gets the recolors from it. Would it be worth trying to change the GUID? Will the custom pot still be slaved to the original one?
Mad Poster
#4 Old Today at 5:23 PM
Is the original pot still showing up? If so, the smaller one already has a custom GUID. If not, it could be a GUID conflict. If it's properly slaved to the original, changing the GUID shouldn't change anything (unless there is still a MMAT in the file(s) for some reason).

Would be a bit easier if I could see the file. It's difficult to guess.Can you either upload the file, or post the link to the original (if you can find it)?
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old Today at 7:09 PM
The original pot is still in the catalog and works fine ingame - I agree, I feel so dumb for being unable to find the original post ^^" I've tried with several tags/words in the search bar but I can't find it!

I've uploaded the file here though, thank you so much for offering to check it out!
Mad Poster
#6 Old Today at 7:33 PM Last edited by simmer22 : Today at 7:48 PM.
I can't see anything out of the ordinary with the object. Seems to be a regular slaved mesh with a custom GUID.

It does have LODs, which are visible in neighborhood view and if neighbors are enabled in lot view, but that's when viewed from other lots, not the one you're currently on, so the freezing is weird if that's the case.

I can test to see if it's giving me any issues ingame.

If you've had generally slow placing and freezing when placing objects for some time, maybe also larger segments of walls/wallpaper/floors, or having issues with other things taking time or freezing - but the game starts working again after some time, it could be a computer issue more than a game issue. Back just before my first laptop went the way of the dodo, I tried building a lot, and placing a floor or even some objects took upwards of 5 minutes (I clicked to place the item, the game froze, took however long processing time it needed, then placed the item). I realized then the laptop's simming days were over.

CC can make the game slower, but generally it tends to affect loading time and looking through the catalogs most of all. Slowness on a lot is often linked to amount of CC on the lot you're on + lot size, sims, pets, or other process-heavy things happening ingame. Background tasks can also influence the game somewhat (especially antivirus programs running scans/updates, or other things that divert either GPU or CPU usage).
Test Subject
Original Poster
#7 Old Today at 8:02 PM
I've been a Sims 2 player for a while, I kinda of know my way around the game but thank you so much for taking the time to explain everything in detail, I do really appreciate it

I swear I've tried in different lots (the Goths', the Pleasant's and a custom one) but every time I place it (and only it, I promise!) the time just stops completely. I've never had something like this before, that's why I find it quite odd! I've got a gaming laptop which works quite well with cc, reshade (in TS4) and lighting mod... The only Issue I've had since upgrading was with custom nails but apparently that was something to do with the object itself? Everything else is pretty much standard, from loading times to catalog scrolling or item placing so at this point I really don't get why such an "easy" objects has this effect on the game

Nevermind, I guess I'll just take it out my game, if you can't think of anything else.

Again, thank you so so so much for trying to help though
Mad Poster
#8 Old Today at 8:25 PM Last edited by simmer22 : Today at 8:39 PM.
Did you try turning on debug mode? Always worth trying if you're having issues.
I have it always turned on (easier to catch buggy files and such), and when I tried placing the vase I immediately got an error, so there probably is something in the object file that isn't easily visible in SimPE at first glance. I'd think that could be why your game freezes in this particular instance (but if you have issues with the game generally getting slower/freezing, you might want to check if anything else is going on, too).

The error says "Transition to node that does not exist" if anyone knows what that could mean for an object. Likely a BHAV issue, in which case I'm not an expert. Looks like the "function main" does an "idle" loop of some sort, and the "function init" doesn't end in "true" but a question mark, so I'd bet the problem is around there somewhere, but I'm not sure how to fix it.

Potentially useful parts of the error below:

Mad Poster
#9 Old Today at 9:21 PM
If it ends in a question mark, that means it's directing to a line that doesn't exist in the function. If it's the last line of the init, you can probably just change it to return true.