Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Lab Assistant
#26 Old 3rd Sep 2014 at 2:38 PM
Quote: Originally posted by gwynne
I don't understand the 'intel' reasoning--the game should support both integrated and discrete video hardware, so whichever one it decides to use should 'work'. CC seems more likely, unless these screenshots are coming from verified 'clean' installs.

No CC. It's happening out of the box.

I suspect it is a card conflict. I had the same issue with Sims 3 where the game used my Intel card instead of the nvidia one. In that case though, the card was not matched (or was it not found?) and therefore it was just a matter of going to my card control panel and changing the settings. When I saw that the demo had found/supported the wrong card? I suspected there would be a problem since before it hadn't done this. I really did not want to go through this whole tedious process again of forcing the game to use the right card. Why isn't there some sort of hierarchy system in place? Why is this game choosing the inferior card?

Quote:
Name (driver): Intel(R) HD Graphics Family Name (database): 4th Gen Intel(R) Core processor graphics HD 4400 - Mobile Haswell - ULT GT2 [Found: 1, Supported: 1]

I took a screen of the GPU activity showing that the game was using the nvidia card and for some reason it didn't take. Meh.

The card it should have found/supported.

Quote:
Name: NVIDIA GeForce GT 740M Device ID: PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_1292&SUBSYS_131D1043&REV_A1\4&3A7A1238&0&00E4

I'm curious to know for those who are having this issue? What card was found/supported?

So...when I saw the empty crib thing? I knew what was going to happen next......

The baby ages up fine without any glitches.
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#27 Old 3rd Sep 2014 at 2:42 PM
Quote: Originally posted by RoseCity
lol - now I see - it's a feature! all that's missing is the part where the sims get so scared they die.

Those Sims are so weird! They give birth to demon babies! Isn't that funny?
Scholar
#28 Old 3rd Sep 2014 at 2:56 PM
Lucy, have you tried going into your NVIDIA control panel and forcing it from there to use the NVIDIA on the TS4 executable? I'm not on my dual-chipset machine or I'd give you the exact instructions.

Basically, at least on the dual-chipset laptops I've interacted with, you can make the NVIDIA driver make the decision, not your laptop (some laptops have utilities to decide which chip to use, and often get it wrong) or the game.
Theorist
#29 Old 3rd Sep 2014 at 2:57 PM
Those pics of the mother looking so happy with her freaky monster baby are hilarious!
I can just imagine her wanting to show off her baby, and how others would react.

Resident wet blanket.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#30 Old 3rd Sep 2014 at 3:05 PM
Aaaaaah all of these extra pictures are making my skin crawl! I don't know what it is about it. I remember how seriously scared I was when it happened for me in TS3. I opened the affected toddler in CAS and the way it moved about with those extruded limbs..... aaaaaaaaargh.

I don't think I have forgiven Sims 3 for that glitch yet. I don't know why it is SO creepy to me but it is.

Check out my thoughts on Psymchology (Sim Psychology) - latest post is on the main six aspirations.
Lab Assistant
#31 Old 3rd Sep 2014 at 3:09 PM
Lucy, have you tried going into your NVIDIA control panel and forcing it from there to use the NVIDIA on the TS4 executable? I'm not on my dual-chipset machine or I'd give you the exact instructions.

Basically, at least on the dual-chipset laptops I've interacted with, you can make the NVIDIA driver make the decision, not your laptop (some laptops have utilities to decide which chip to use, and often get it wrong) or the game.

Yes, I posted about that (least I thought I did).

That was what I meant when I said that this happened with Sims 3 so my laptop global settings is to always use that card regardless of the program. You do have to go in and reset that whenever the card or Windows updates, just an FYI for anybody reading.

OK....update!

I went into the .sgr file and removed all references of that weak-butt intel card. I then deleted the config file from my folder. Relaunched the game....checked the newly generated config file.

Quote:
Name (driver): Intel(R) HD Graphics Family Name (database): [Found: 0, Supported: 1]

*Fist pump like a female bro....sorry...couldn't resist*

YES!

Went back into the game, found Nancy and knocked her up again. Checked my in-game settings. They are all higher! The over ride is now working since I forced the game to un-find that card. Will let you guys know if the baby is spawned as a demon or an oject.

BTW -- I don't get involved in technical stuff at the official forum but I did contact Crin at HQ so she can have the information to do whatever she wants with it. It might help others. I suspect the problem is that the game has found/supported the intel card and it's causing a conflict because I have over ridden that and now the game is using both cards somehow. No idea, I'm not a game coder. I don't understand the way this game runs, the mechanics, etc.
Scholar
#32 Old 3rd Sep 2014 at 3:18 PM
Quote: Originally posted by LucyVP86
Yes, I posted about that (least I thought I did).

That was what I meant when I said that this happened with Sims 3 so my laptop global settings is to always use that card regardless of the program. You do have to go in and reset that whenever the card or Windows updates, just an FYI for anybody reading.

*snip*

It's interesting that the game is able to override the NVIDIA setting. Would you mind saying what make and model of laptop you're using?

(Professional interest)
Lab Assistant
#33 Old 3rd Sep 2014 at 3:49 PM
*snip*

It's interesting that the game is able to override the NVIDIA setting. Would you mind saying what make and model of laptop you're using?

(Professional interest)

I don't mind. I have an advanced degree in Computer Science but I know nothing about game coding and I stink at explaining myself. I just poke around till I fix it, I rarely pay attention to what I've changed which makes it impossible for me to help others.

Anyways.....FAIL!

Empty bassinet = demon spawn

It's a monster and even worst than before....sighs....I give up. They're just objects anyways. I'll just age them instantly.

To spare you reading pages of that report, here is the pertinent information.

Quote:
System Information
------------------
Time of this report: 9/3/2014, 09:27:46
Machine name: *****
Operating System: Windows 8.1 64-bit (6.3, Build 9600) (9600.winblue_gdr.140330-1035)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC.
System Model: X550LB
BIOS: X550LB.402
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4500U CPU @ 1.80GHz (4 CPUs), ~2.4GHz
Memory: 8192MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 8076MB RAM
Page File: 2790MB used, 13476MB available
Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS
DirectX Version: DirectX 11
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
User DPI Setting: Using System DPI
System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
DxDiag Version: 6.03.9600.16384 64bit Unicode

Name: NVIDIA GeForce GT 740M
Device ID: PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_1292&SUBSYS_131D1043&REV_A1\4&3A7A1238&0&00E4
Driver: C:\Program Files\NVIDIA Corporation\Drs\dbInstaller.exe, 9.18.0013.4052 (English), 7/2/2014 16:48:32, 441120 bytes

Old config before editing the .sgr file

Quote:
=== Application info ===
Name: Sims4
Version:
Build: Release
=== Rating info ===
GPU: 3 GPU Memory: 4 CPU: 3 RAM: 4 CPU Speed: 2394 Threading: 3
Adjusted CPU: 2992 RAM: 8075 Adjusted RAM: 7563 Cores: 2
=== Machine info ===
OS version: Windows 8.1 6.3.9600
OS prod type:
OS major ver: 6
OS minor ver: 3
OS SP major ver:
OS SP minor ver:
OS is 64Bit: 1
CPU: GenuineIntel
Brand: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4500U CPU @ 1.80GHz
Family: 6
Model: 5
Cores: 2
HT: 1
x64: 1
Memory: 8075MB
Free memory: 6138MB
VA space: 4095MB
User: ***
Computer: ****
=== Graphics device info ===
Number: 0
Name (driver): Intel(R) HD Graphics Family
Name (database): 4th Gen Intel(R) Core processor graphics HD 4400 - Mobile Haswell - ULT GT2 [Found: 1, Supported: 1]

After editing it

Quote:
=== Application info ===
Name: Sims4
Version:
Build: Release
=== Rating info ===
GPU: 5 GPU Memory: 4 CPU: 3 RAM: 4 CPU Speed: 2394 Threading: 3
Adjusted CPU: 2992 RAM: 8075 Adjusted RAM: 7563 Cores: 2
=== Machine info ===
OS version: Windows 8.1 6.3.9600
OS prod type:
OS major ver: 6
OS minor ver: 3
OS SP major ver:
OS SP minor ver:
OS is 64Bit: 1
CPU: GenuineIntel
Brand: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4500U CPU @ 1.80GHz
Family: 6
Model: 5
Cores: 2
HT: 1
x64: 1
Memory: 8075MB
Free memory: 5765MB
VA space: 4095MB
User: ****
Computer: ****
=== Graphics device info ===
Number: 0
Name (driver): Intel(R) HD Graphics Family
Name (database): [Found: 0, Supported: 1]

In game default before the edit

In game default after the edit

And as I stated, I have my control panel global settings to use the Nvidia card. The tray shows the card being used, the bit about it over riding that is my speculation that has been proven wrong since clearly it is now using the right card and still a demon baby was spawned. I do not have any CC, I'm waiting for the ones I've used in the past to make some Sims 4 CC and they haven't yet.

I bolded the GPU from before the .sgr edit and after. It went from 3 to 5, pretty clear the right card is being used now.
Scholar
#34 Old 3rd Sep 2014 at 4:16 PM
A friend who has a MSI Ghost (which has a color light indicating which graphics chip is being used) says the game is defaulting to the Intel chip, not the NVIDIA.

(Just random tidbit.)
Scholar
#35 Old 3rd Sep 2014 at 4:18 PM
I'm buying the game just so I can experience that.
Lab Assistant
#36 Old 3rd Sep 2014 at 4:44 PM
A friend who has a MSI Ghost (which has a color light indicating which graphics chip is being used) says the game is defaulting to the Intel chip, not the NVIDIA.

(Just random tidbit.)

This does not surprise me and goes along with my speculation.

I'm in the process of reinstalling the game. I tend to be a "throw everything at it at once" kind of trouble shooter. I hate piece mealing things, I just do everything I can think of at once. Unfortunately, once I do fix the problem? That means I can't tell people what I did since I did so much. I fix things, I don't explain how to fix them (because I usually can't).

My plan is...I uninstalled Sims 4 and the demo. I'm reinstalling Sims 4. Then I'm going to go into those .sgr files and nuke every single Intel reference in both, anything that has the 4000 series is going to be removed. Then I will launch the game. The hope is that if I do this before that config file can be generated that it will be forced to find/match (they call it find/support now) the right card.

If this fixes it? Then it's too technically advanced for the average user and seriously needs to be addressed in a patch. If the game is over riding what the user is telling it to do because it has found/supported the inferior card? That's a problem. Right now, it's just a hunch. We will see if I can manage to fix it. It may take me days of trial and error though.

I really did not want to go through this again with another Sims game....grumbles....my liking of Sims 4 is rapidly diminishing.

ETA: Proof reading this, I just had a thought. I wonder if the found in the config file after I edited that .sgr file might be because of the demo? I neglected to change the .sgr file for that and there was one. Hmmm....well, it's off my computer now and I'm not willing to reinstall it test that theory. I don't think they draw off each other, do they? Probably not.
Scholar
#37 Old 3rd Sep 2014 at 5:59 PM
Lucy, if there's any files I can provide you from the dual-chipset TS4 laptop I have access to, let me know. I believe it's a 860m plus...let's say probably intel 5k. Too lazy to dxdiag.
Lab Assistant
#38 Old 3rd Sep 2014 at 6:13 PM
Lucy, if there's any files I can provide you from the dual-chipset TS4 laptop I have access to, let me know. I believe it's a 860m plus...let's say probably intel 5k. Too lazy to dxdiag.

I'm stumped. I don't know what else to do, TBH. I need to back off this for a bit and just let my brain mull it over. I reinstalled so i could edit those .sgr files before the game had a chance to do the config file. I launched the game and got a notice that the game was unable to find a supported card. I can see my card, the device number, the vendor number, in the .sgr graphics card file. I can't figure out why the game will not find my card.

I can't get it to stop spawning that demon baby. It keeps defaulting to the Intel card in game although it shows in the tray that the game is using the Nvidia card. I have no idea what's going on here and it's really beyond my capabilities. One of you game coding people are going to have to figure this one out.

Hopefully, I've given you guys enough information to go off here.

I did notice that the .sgr rules file has been changed. You can't just add in your card there anymore. Is that the problem then? I tried copy/pasting the information from the Sims 3 .sgrrules file into the Sims 4 one to see if I could force it that way. Nothing. Still had the demon baby.

Also, the config file regenerates and shows that the intel card as not found but supported. How the heck is it finding this card when I removed any reference to Intel cards from both files? There has to be something somewhere else that is getting it to find that card.

I'm just going to age babies up for now till somebody else figures this out. I hope it doesn't wind up frying my card, i've lowered all my settings just in case.
Scholar
#39 Old 3rd Sep 2014 at 6:28 PM
Lucy, can you disable the Intel in the BIOS?
Test Subject
#40 Old 3rd Sep 2014 at 6:46 PM
Yeah this happened to me last night. I was like wtf and sent a text to my friend telling her my child was a freak. Luckily it is only for babies and you have the option to make them grow up right away and the child is normal.
Lab Assistant
#41 Old 3rd Sep 2014 at 7:10 PM
Lucy, can you disable the Intel in the BIOS?

I think the problem is that the game will not recognize the Nvidia card. I removed everything that said Intel and got a pop up that the game was unable to find any supported graphics card. It should have found the GT 740m since it is listed in the graphic card file as being supported.

So why didn't it?

There has to be a way to rewrite that .sgrrules file to make it recognize that specific card. Just listing it in the other file doesn't seem to be sufficient.

I really don't want to post all of this at the official EA forum but I may go over to HQ just to give them a heads up so their people who know waaaay more about this than I do can gnaw on it and try to figure it out.
Scholar
#42 Old 3rd Sep 2014 at 7:18 PM
I wonder if it's definitely only happening on dual-chipset machines or if it's maybe particular to a specific NVIDIA driver.
Test Subject
#43 Old 3rd Sep 2014 at 7:43 PM
I got a spider baby too, freaky looking little thing.

Has anyone gotten a "normal" baby?
Lab Assistant
#44 Old 3rd Sep 2014 at 8:50 PM
Quote: Originally posted by DaisyJen
I got a spider baby too, freaky looking little thing.

Has anyone gotten a "normal" baby?

Did you check your config file? Just out of curiosity, what card was found/supported? Do you have a dual card? What card(s) do you have?

Again, just curious. I have seen some posts where I'm beginning to suspect that there is no rhyme or reason to this. People with single cards are getting it. People with AMD cards are getting it. People with under performing devices are getting it. People with devices that far exceed the specs are getting it. There has to be a common denominator and once that is found? Then the trouble shooting can begin.

If it is a card issue? I seriously doubt they will patch it, it will be up to the players to figure it out and rewrite some game file to fix it for their individual devices....I think.
Lab Assistant
#45 Old 3rd Sep 2014 at 10:31 PM
I fixed it!!!!

*does the happy booty dance*

I knew I would figure this thing out.....just click on laptop mode! *massive d'oh on my part*

I can't believe that fixed it.

You still need to make sure that the game is using the right graphic card to enable the higher settings. Mine are defaulting to all high but I don't like taxing my system out like that when I don't see a difference.
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#46 Old 4th Sep 2014 at 12:19 AM
Just seen that this has been confirmed to be an actual game bug. "A fix is being worked on and will be patched to players as soon as possible. ".

Source (SimGuruHydra): http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/dis...omment_12569195

Stuff for TS2 · TS3 · TS4 | Please do not PM me with technical questions – we have Create forums for that.

In the kingdom of the blind, do as the Romans do.
#47 Old 4th Sep 2014 at 2:01 AM
I have this glitch! I also bought the bassinet before hand, and now my baby isn't even visible in his crib! D:
Instructor
#48 Old 4th Sep 2014 at 2:26 AM
On my third demon spawn this happened to me:

I guess that's a sign to stop reproducing.
Test Subject
#49 Old 4th Sep 2014 at 2:34 AM
Quote: Originally posted by siletka
Wow. I remember this being a "thing" with TS3.

Who said they left out everything from TS3?

I have to ask, if this is such a completely new engine how could the very same glitch happen?
Mad Poster
#50 Old 4th Sep 2014 at 4:25 AM Last edited by RoseCity : 4th Sep 2014 at 4:56 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by Franc Kaos
I have to ask, if this is such a completely new engine how could the very same glitch happen?

The TS3 one was from a CC problem - I've played TS3 for 5 years and never encountered that glitch.
Page 2 of 3