Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Instructor
Original Poster
#1 Old 28th Jun 2024 at 7:45 PM Last edited by chitownriverscum : 28th Jun 2024 at 8:01 PM.

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Seasons
Default Sim having strange cooking/harvesting/eating issues
This is a bit peculiar, and just started today. I have a medieval hood with a residential lot in the form of an abbey, with a small group of monks living on it. My Brother Cadfael has developed some odd habits (no pun intended). He will go to cook a meal, but when it is finished cooking, he won't pick it up to bring to the table; it just sits in the stove until it rots, or a different Sim retrieves it. Also, when he goes to pick up a piece of fruit that has dropped off a tree: as soon as he brings it to his mouth, he won't eat it, and reverts back to the default pose... ditto with the cooked meal I suppose; a "jump error". I replaced the Highland Hearth with another cooker, but it was the same problem. Likewise, when harvesting produce for food, he can't pick up the basket - he stoops down but can't pick it up. Finally, when watering plants in the garden, he holds the can behind his back in an awkward pose, like a demon has possessed his arm or something (to use a medieval metaphor). Other activities he does normally; it's just the ones to do with food that are messed up, and none of the other residents are affected. Is there something that the Lot Debugger can do to fix it? I tried re-enabling controls, but that didn't do the trick. I suppose I should just delete him and exit, let him re-spawn maybe. What's the best solution?

P.S. - When totally famished, he CAN successfully complete the autonomous "stuff face" action, which relieves his hunger a bit. Otherwise, though, I'm using the Blender a lot to keep him from starving.

EDIT - I noticed he was holding his hand in a position like he was carrying a phantom harvest basket. Then, when he went to read a book, he was making the correct motions, but the book itself was lying on the ground by the shelf, its pages turning as if by a ghost! So it's not just food-related. Time to call an exorcist?

Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice:
pull down your pants and slide on the ice.
Advertisement
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#2 Old 28th Jun 2024 at 9:41 PM
Reenable controls is for when the save, build, buy, exit options stay blanked out. It won't help for errors.
Turn on debug mode and post an error log.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#3 Old 28th Jun 2024 at 10:38 PM
My first action would be to force error on him, second would be to delete him off the lot with the hand tool, save and and reload the lot. After that I would investigate further.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#4 Old 28th Jun 2024 at 10:47 PM Last edited by simmer22 : 28th Jun 2024 at 10:59 PM.
If it's just on this lot, it could be some stuck items. Forcing an error/reset on the sim could help, possibly batbox to clear stuck items (does it also remove stuck object accessories?).

If similar things also happens on other lots, it's most likely mod conflicts.

If you haven't already, turn on testingcheats/debug mode (boolProp testingCheatsEnabled true). Sounds like you're having jump bugs, which really is just a bunch of errors that auto resets. Turning on testingcheats will cause an error report to be made when the error occurs, and you can more easily investigate further (using tools like "What Caused This?" and HCDU+, to start with, if it's possible it's mod-related).

Some mods can cause bugs even if they've been "dormant" for quite some time. Moving files around, renaming, putting in new files (even if it's just one that seems completely unrelated), or pairing a modded object set with an incompatible mod.
Mad Poster
#5 Old 28th Jun 2024 at 10:55 PM
Turn on debug mode and post the error log.
Instructor
Original Poster
#6 Old 29th Jun 2024 at 4:29 PM
No error codes show up as he attempts to perform the action, even with testing cheats on. Also, forcing an error on him gave no result.

Which particular function of the Batbox would I use? Nuke stuck fx? Or should I just delete him and reload the lot first, and then try something else if that doesn't work?

Screenshot of his "demon claw" hand.
Screenshots

Instructor
Original Poster
#7 Old 29th Jun 2024 at 5:53 PM
Looks like whatever the last action was that he couldn't complete, his hand stays in that pose. I just had him try to put away an unfinished ingredient platter, and his hand stayed in position afterwards.
Just now he's trying unsuccessfully to pull a book from the shelf. Okay, enough of that. There are apples to pick. THAT, he can do. 8 apples into the inventory. Pulling weeds, no problem. Trying the beehive... No, he makes the honey-gathering motion, but no honey appears. He also can't pick up the newspaper.
Okay, an update - just got an error. In object "N013_User00039 - Brother" #443. A tree break was encountered. I'll look at the log in a few minutes. In the meantime, I've deleted him from Buy Mode, saved and exited to the hood, and now he's back to normal, demon exorcised. After I quit playing, I'll look at the log. One of the "advantages" to having old internet browsers is that I have to go on this forum using my phone, which I can do while I'm still in the game.

Instructor
Original Poster
#8 Old 29th Jun 2024 at 9:14 PM
Well, apparently the error code txt file is too big to attach here... can only go up to 65k? I could look through it for something in particular, if you all think it'd be useful... or I could paste the text in a reply, but it's... kind of long.

Mad Poster
#9 Old 29th Jun 2024 at 10:04 PM
Either pack and then attach the file as a zip, or post the text in [spoiler] tags (so it doesn't take ages to scroll unless you want to look at the error).

There has been some issues with posting TXTs for a while now - doesn't seem to matter much how small they are.
Mad Poster
#10 Old 29th Jun 2024 at 11:09 PM
Quote: Originally posted by chitownriverscum
Also, when he goes to pick up a piece of fruit that has dropped off a tree: as soon as he brings it to his mouth, he won't eat it, and reverts back to the default pose...

This isn't the default Maxis fruit trees. It sounds like you're using Sun & Moon's fruit trees.

Run the erorr log through What Caused This and see what mods come up.

I'm secretly a Bulbasaur. | Formerly known as ihatemandatoryregister

Looking for SimWardrobe's mods? | Or Dizzy's? | Faiuwle/rufio's too! | smorbie1's Chris Hatch archives
Instructor
Original Poster
#11 Old 30th Jun 2024 at 2:51 AM
Here is a zip. I'm on a Mac, so I can't run any of those fancy mod-checking programs.
Attached files:
File Type: zip  ObjectError_N013_t222279.zip (17.5 KB, 4 downloads)

Mad Poster
#12 Old 30th Jun 2024 at 1:19 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Bulbizarre
This isn't the default Maxis fruit trees. It sounds like you're using Sun & Moon's fruit trees.

Could also be the Castaway trees.