Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 10th Jun 2022 at 4:35 PM
Default Help with occult interactions and lot traits
Hello Simmers and Modders,

I'm new in modding and have no experience in both XML and Python.
I tried learning how to mod from reading Zero's tutorials, watching Mod constructor tutorials on Youtube, and a few basics of XML and Python.

For my first mod, I was wondering if I can make exclusive interactions for occults (spellcaster to spellcaster/ vampires to vampires etc), and in another mod, I wanted to make a lot trait that can spawn specific occults, I tried to do it with Mod Constructor but I'm not sure if it's possible. I can make the lot trait but I don't know how to make the lot trait spawn specific occults or how to make the interaction exclusive for each occults.

Can someone please help me point out what modding tools should I be using and what steps should I take? it's okay if you can't give me all the details, but giving a starting line and what to do would be very nice, as I felt really overwhelmed but I really want to continue modding since I really enjoy doing it.
Advertisement
Field Researcher
#2 Old 10th Jun 2022 at 5:13 PM
The specifics of spawning Sims are beyond me, but interactions can be made exclusive. You need to set the test condition to test for a trait only that Occult would have, for example. You can also have specific criteria like, Actor must be a Vampire but TargetSim cannot be another occult or stuff like that. Depends on how complex you want it to be, many things are possible.

I normally use LOT51's TDESC BROWSER for creating interactions from scratch, since it lets you see basically every thing you could possibly put on it, while copying preexisting ones only lets you see what that original interaction had. Once you create the interaction, you can use XML injector to add the interaction to Sims, and only those that meet the test conditions should have access to it.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 10th Jun 2022 at 5:54 PM
Quote: Originally posted by baniduhaine
The specifics of spawning Sims are beyond me, but interactions can be made exclusive. You need to set the test condition to test for a trait only that Occult would have, for example. You can also have specific criteria like, Actor must be a Vampire but TargetSim cannot be another occult or stuff like that. Depends on how complex you want it to be, many things are possible.

I normally use LOT51's TDESC BROWSER for creating interactions from scratch, since it lets you see basically every thing you could possibly put on it, while copying preexisting ones only lets you see what that original interaction had. Once you create the interaction, you can use XML injector to add the interaction to Sims, and only those that meet the test conditions should have access to it.

Ohhh I see, I'll look into this now and hope I can start working on the mod, thank you so much for the big help! ^_^
Field Researcher
#4 Old 11th Jun 2022 at 5:13 AM
Quote: Originally posted by snieves16
Ohhh I see, I'll look into this now and hope I can start working on the mod, thank you so much for the big help! ^_^

Happy to help. I actually got back to thinking of this and started to panicky think I didn't make a clear example sorry so here's a better example of what I mean for the interaction test conditions.

Like, for example, if you want it to be something Vampires can do on non-Vampires, you could do something like this:

Code:
    <L n="test_globals">
        <V t="trait">
            <U n="trait">
                <T n="num_blacklist_allowed">0</T>
                <T n="num_whitelist_required">1</T>
                <E n="subject">Actor</E>
                <L n="whitelist_traits">
                    <T>149527<!--trait_OccultVampire--></T>
                </L>
            </U>
        </V>
        <V t="trait">
            <U n="trait">
                <L n="blacklist_traits">
                </L>
                <E n="subject">TargetSim</E>
            </U>
        </V>
    </L>

But also if you want it to be Vampire to Vampire only, it'd go like

Code:
    <L n="test_globals">
        <V t="trait">
            <U n="trait">
                <E n="subject">Actor</E>
                <L n="whitelist_traits">
                </L>
            </U>
        </V>
        <V t="trait">
            <U n="trait">
                <E n="subject">TargetSim</E>
                <L n="whitelist_traits">
                </L>
            </U>
        </V>
    </L>

Basically, you can customize it as much as you want, since you can specify the requirements for both the Sim performing the action and their target. It also doesn't just have to be traits, you can use any of the available test conditions depending on the context.

Hope that's a better explanation than before.
Lab Assistant
#5 Old 1st Jul 2022 at 1:02 AM
You want Situation Jobs, Situations, and Rolestates to spawn npcs, check out the situations that spawn npcs a good one to start with is the npc worker situations. Hope that helps