Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#1 Old 21st Jul 2024 at 3:46 AM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default adoption
When I try to adopt only choice is Toddler (which gets me a baby), or child (which gets me a toddler).
I was told (trying to create a hood with no townies) that if I managed to actually DO that, Adoption could not create a baby because they were generated by TOWNIES (but toddler COULD be generated). I don't have any new mod that would interfere with adoption; but I USED to be able to call adoption and would get choices: boy/girl, skin value. And also had mod to adopt teen -- both these mods have disappeared.

Stand up, speak out. Just not to me..
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 21st Jul 2024 at 4:18 AM
Sounds like you have a mod conflict, then.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#3 Old 21st Jul 2024 at 4:48 AM
I could not find any mods about adoption in my downloads, so I tried the old one by Chaavik at Insim, makes teens available and lets you choose gender & skin. Special directions say "Cancel the choice of baby, toddler, etc" But there is no way to cancel it! I do have Same Day Adoption, and one that doesn't have a money requirement, but I've had them a long time with no problems...um I do remember that conflicts don't happen just between similar mods, so bummer.

Mad Poster
#4 Old 21st Jul 2024 at 7:59 AM
Then do a binary search.
Mad Poster
#5 Old 21st Jul 2024 at 1:05 PM
Quote: Originally posted by grammapat
I could not find any mods about adoption in my downloads, so I tried the old one by Chaavik at Insim, makes teens available and lets you choose gender & skin. Special directions say "Cancel the choice of baby, toddler, etc" But there is no way to cancel it! I do have Same Day Adoption, and one that doesn't have a money requirement, but I've had them a long time with no problems...um I do remember that conflicts don't happen just between similar mods, so bummer.

Have you run the HCDU and/or What Caused This?
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#6 Old 21st Jul 2024 at 11:36 PM Last edited by grammapat : 22nd Jul 2024 at 3:50 AM.
I see HCDU on my desktop so I must have done something with it at some time...I will run and see if I can figure anything out.
It won't run, so I downloaded a new one. It didn't show anything conflicts with adoption stuff.

Mad Poster
Original Poster
#7 Old 21st Jul 2024 at 11:38 PM
Quote: Originally posted by kestrellyn
Then do a binary search.

Awww great idea. But I don't know what that is...

Mad Poster
Original Poster
#8 Old 22nd Jul 2024 at 3:55 AM
Then do a binary search.

I looked into that; looks like it reads from my Logs file. But I often look in there--there is nothing there now (except the usual audio errors)

Mad Poster
#9 Old 22nd Jul 2024 at 5:37 AM
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#10 Old 22nd Jul 2024 at 6:57 AM
if I managed to actually DO that, Adoption could not create a baby because they were generated by TOWNIES

The game picks at random one male and one female townie to make an adoptable baby. Do you have at least 1 male and 1 female townie? If not maybe its bugging out.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#11 Old 22nd Jul 2024 at 5:06 PM
https://modthesims.info/wiki.php?ti...he_50.25_Method

Well now I know a "binary search" means the dread 50/50 Downloads process... ish.
But thank you

I have tried taking out the 3 adoption mods, and the usual choices come up--but STILL when I click BABY the entire action is cancelled...am thinking because this is a new hood that I have managed to make NO TOWNIES. In one reply re THAT ISSUE, I was told that the system uses genetics from townies (not the many NPC, etc), so if there are no townies it cannot generate a baby.

So the vanilla game is working correctly for adoption, but with mod to try to adopt teens and pic gender etc, there is a conflict. And I have noted that the conflict could be THAT mod and something that is not a mod at all.

Mad Poster
#12 Old 22nd Jul 2024 at 11:03 PM
A mod conflict is a mod conflicting with another mod. What else would there be to conflict with?
Mad Poster
#13 Old 23rd Jul 2024 at 12:22 PM
Make a backup and let some townies generate, then see if that fixes it. If it does then you can go back to the backup with no townies and just accept that adoption will be confused until you have townies.
Mad Poster
#14 Old 23rd Jul 2024 at 12:32 PM
I would guess that if your mod is calling some part of the original adoption code then it's getting confused at the point that it finds no townies. This is an unusual scenario, so unlikely to have been covered by testing. Charity's approach would work for testing whether the mod itself is messed up or it just doesn't like the no-townies setup.

Check out my thoughts on Psymchology (Sim Psychology) - latest post is on the main six aspirations.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#15 Old 23rd Jul 2024 at 12:46 PM
A mod conflict is a mod conflicting with another mod. What else would there be to conflict with?

I thought so/logical...but maybe not.
And what I'm trying to do is get that OLD mod from Insim that lets you choose gender, skin, and age of toddler, children, and teens. I don't know how that works when it is NOT creating a sim; ie, when there is already someone in the adoption pool.

Mad Poster
#16 Old 23rd Jul 2024 at 11:07 PM
Adoption doesn't get "confused" when there are no townies, it just throws an error.

The mod you're referring to doesn't pull any sims from the adoption pool at all. If it doesn't create a new sim, you adopt a townie child instead.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#17 Old 24th Jul 2024 at 12:34 AM
So in an old, very populated hood I made a family of kids, had the "mom" put them all up for adoption, then become a townie herself. I took out ALL my adoption mods (like "same day"). This is what happened:
Had a sim as for a child to adopt; next day car shows up- for an instant!- a child I had mad appears on the family list
Child is NOT ON THE LOT..
I found the error log: Kitty is the name of the child..it was trying to create a baby?
Build: 1.17.0.66
at Oct 11 2008,15:12:07

Object id: 88
name: Car - Social Worker - 0,8
Stack size: 2
Error: Missing neighbor for data access.
Iterations: 404
Frame 1:
Stack Object id: 668
Stack Object name: N002_User00433 - Kitty
Node: 66
Tree: id 4108 name 'Adoption - Create Baby' version -32692
from Car_SocialWorker
Prim state: 0
Params: 577 586 Locals: 3 0 0 0 668 0 88 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 577 0 1 680 0 0
Frame 0:
Stack Object id: 88
Stack Object name: Car - Social Worker - 0,8
Node: 11
Tree: id 4096 name 'Functional - Main' version 91
from Car_SocialWorker
Params: 577 Locals: 0 0 0

Global Simulator Variables

NONE OF THIS MAKES ANY SENSE TO ME...

Mad Poster
#18 Old 24th Jul 2024 at 1:11 AM
I see HCDU on my desktop so I must have done something with it at some time...I will run and see if I can figure anything out.
It won't run, so I downloaded a new one. It didn't show anything conflicts with adoption stuff.

Put HCDU in your downloads folder. It won't work unless it is in direct proximity to them.

Receptacle Refugee & Resident Polar Bear
"Get out of my way, young'un, I'm a ninja!"
Grave Matters: The funeral podium is available here: https://www.mediafire.com/file/e6tj...albits.zip/file
My other downloads are here: https://www.mediafire.com/?r=wbmnd#myfiles
Forum Resident
#19 Old 24th Jul 2024 at 1:35 AM
Quote: Originally posted by FranH
Put HCDU in your downloads folder. It won't work unless it is in direct proximity to them.

I use HCDUPlus, from WHoward's Pick'N'Mix site https://www.picknmixmods.com/Sims2/...s/HcduPlus.html
It's apparently a little more flexible and doesn't have to be put IN the Downloads folder (I've had some utilities do weird stuff if they were in the Downloads folder), as long as it's under "EA Games". (I keep it in a separate "Tools" subfolder.) But it does need to be told where your Downloads folder is, the first time you run it (select the "Downloads folder" button, navigate to where the Downloads folder is, click on "Select Folder").
To use it, click the "Scan Folder" button, navigate to and select the folder you want to check, and press the "Scan" button. (Be patient, it's sometimes slow.)

The site recommends creating and using a test folder for suspect mods, but I have not found this to be necessary.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#20 Old 24th Jul 2024 at 6:04 AM Last edited by grammapat : 24th Jul 2024 at 6:35 AM.
That HCDU is version 1.1, but I see one that is 2.00.03 (Lazydutchess) but it says for ultimate collection. So guess I should go with your link.

I put it where you said, but when run it there is no choice to tell it where to go. When click on it just runs the program...and nothing was found of interest. So I'm thinking I can just leave it on my desktop with the other utilities.

Mad Poster
#21 Old 24th Jul 2024 at 6:51 AM
So in an old, very populated hood I made a family of kids, had the "mom" put them all up for adoption, then become a townie herself. I took out ALL my adoption mods (like "same day"). This is what happened:
Had a sim as for a child to adopt; next day car shows up- for an instant!- a child I had mad appears on the family list
Child is NOT ON THE LOT..
I found the error log: Kitty is the name of the child..it was trying to create a baby?
Build: 1.17.0.66
at Oct 11 2008,15:12:07

Object id: 88
name: Car - Social Worker - 0,8
Stack size: 2
Error: Missing neighbor for data access.
Iterations: 404
Frame 1:
Stack Object id: 668
Stack Object name: N002_User00433 - Kitty
Node: 66
Tree: id 4108 name 'Adoption - Create Baby' version -32692
from Car_SocialWorker
Params: 577 586 Locals: 3 0 0 0 668 0 88 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 577 0 1 680 0 0
Frame 0:
Stack Object id: 88
Stack Object name: Car - Social Worker - 0,8
Node: 11
Tree: id 4096 name 'Functional - Main' version 91
from Car_SocialWorker
Params: 577 Locals: 0 0 0

Global Simulator Variables

NONE OF THIS MAKES ANY SENSE TO ME...

It means that you did not in fact take out all your adoption mods, and still have at least one adoption mod in your downloads. That function doesn't mean it is actually creating a baby, it's always called regardless of what child you're adopting.
Mad Poster
#22 Old 24th Jul 2024 at 9:02 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Sims2Maven
I use HCDUPlus, from WHoward's Pick'N'Mix site https://www.picknmixmods.com/Sims2/...s/HcduPlus.html
It's apparently a little more flexible and doesn't have to be put IN the Downloads folder (I've had some utilities do weird stuff if they were in the Downloads folder), as long as it's under "EA Games". (I keep it in a separate "Tools" subfolder.) But it does need to be told where your Downloads folder is, the first time you run it (select the "Downloads folder" button, navigate to where the Downloads folder is, click on "Select Folder").
To use it, click the "Scan Folder" button, navigate to and select the folder you want to check, and press the "Scan" button. (Be patient, it's sometimes slow.)

The site recommends creating and using a test folder for suspect mods, but I have not found this to be necessary.

No version of HCDU has to be installed in particular location, you just put it wherever is most convenient for you. I don't know why you would choose to put it inside the save data files for a completely different program, though.
Mad Poster
#23 Old 24th Jul 2024 at 3:44 PM
Quote: Originally posted by FranH

That's not true. Mine is nowhere near my game folder and it works fine.
Forum Resident
#24 Old 24th Jul 2024 at 5:28 PM
I put it where you said, but when run it there is no choice to tell it where to go. When click on it just runs the program...and nothing was found of interest. So I'm thinking I can just leave it on my desktop with the other utilities.

You should see two lines at the top of the screen. When you first start the program, they will both be blank. On the righthand side of the top line, there will be a button or box that says "Downloads". Click on that, and then navigate to where your Downloads folder is, highlight the folder, and click on "Select folder". That should fill the top line with the path to your Downloads folder.

To check everything against everything, select the "Downloads" folder again for the second line. If you have subfolders under the Downloads folder (I strongly recommend this), you can select individual folders to check against the contents of the Downloads folder.

Most of the time any problems will be with behavior mods or game hacks (I have separate subfolders for each).
Forum Resident
#25 Old 24th Jul 2024 at 5:32 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Charity
Mine [HCDU] is nowhere near my game folder and it works fine.

This is probably the case, but I like to keep my Sims utilities handy, thus the "Tools" subfolder under "EA Games". It's really a matter of personal preference.
Page 1 of 2