Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 13th Jun 2024 at 9:09 AM Last edited by Lena88 : 13th Jun 2024 at 12:39 PM.
Active service NPCs
This is both discussion and WICF kind of topic. Its about active (but safe) NPCs simmers can have/use, sims that can serve as maids, gardeners, nannies, uni cooks,...

I know that there are mods (like Lazyduchess ACTIVE NANNIES) that allow players to use actual sims and not just merely spawn service sim NPCs. This topic of mine is about WHAT CAN BE DONE, WHERE IS THE LIMIT and such for making, playing/using actual sims as service NPCs.

Do you ever think about it? Whats your opinion? Is it possible to use/copy animation and interaction of service NPCs to enable regular sims to act like that?
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 13th Jun 2024 at 9:34 AM
The limit is the time and willingness that modders have to make such things, lmao.
Mad Poster
#3 Old 13th Jun 2024 at 10:59 AM
If I wanted to do this I would just temporarily add the sim to the family and control them to do their job.

I use the sims as a psychology simulator...
Mad Poster
#4 Old 13th Jun 2024 at 2:52 PM
AFAIK the only ones that people have made mods for are Playable Cops and Playable Nannies. Someone said that others, like the Social Worker, are hard to get playables to do because a lot of the code is in the vehicle itself.
Instructor
#5 Old 13th Jun 2024 at 3:11 PM
I would love to see mods that enable this for every NPC. In a perfect world where I knew how to make these mods, I'd probably give it a try, since this is one of my most desired things for the game. I have tried managing services myself; as in, actually getting my sim on the lot and getting them to do their job, but it gets tiring after a while, at least for me. It's my dream to have one of my playables to arrive on their own and do the cleaning and the gardening.
Mad Poster
#6 Old 13th Jun 2024 at 4:28 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Charity
AFAIK the only ones that people have made mods for are Playable Cops and Playable Nannies. Someone said that others, like the Social Worker, are hard to get playables to do because a lot of the code is in the vehicle itself.

Midgethetree said it was easier for her to make the playable cops because the code was in the vehicle.

"ETA: I will not make playable NPC mods for other NPC types. As said above, the police emergency code is contained in the police car, but most NPC functions are attached to the NPC template and are thus unusable by non-NPC sims, and trying to replicate the code in a context that would be usable is, in my experience, prone to bugs. Sorry!"

https://midgethetree.tumblr.com/pos...is-possible-but
Mad Poster
#7 Old 13th Jun 2024 at 6:22 PM
Quote: Originally posted by omglo
Midgethetree said it was easier for her to make the playable cops because the code was in the vehicle.

"ETA: I will not make playable NPC mods for other NPC types. As said above, the police emergency code is contained in the police car, but most NPC functions are attached to the NPC template and are thus unusable by non-NPC sims, and trying to replicate the code in a context that would be usable is, in my experience, prone to bugs. Sorry!"

https://midgethetree.tumblr.com/pos...is-possible-but

That's what I read, but I remembered it the wrong way round. XD
Test Subject
#8 Old 16th Jun 2024 at 12:14 PM
It would be ideal to have actual playable sims as nannies, cooks, maids, cops, teachers, gardeners … that way your sims could interact with them, and build relationships instead of just having a random nanny/npc around

I play mostly families, so they tend to have 2-5 kids each and i use nannies all the time, it would be impossible to raise healthy babies and kids without a nanny — and worse yet have them taken away by the social worker. In fact, sometimes i have my sims hire a nanny AND a butler. I also have adoptees and sometimes a family member or neighbor moves in to help. However they usually have lives, jobs, relationships of their own so i often end up hiring a nanny in addition to the neighbor. Every time my sim has a child i hire a nanny right away to give the parents a rest.

I wish there was a way to hire a neighbor or teen to babysit, but until then i am happy to have even a random nanny take care of them while my parents work, rest, or go on vacation. Would love to hear how you all raise your sim babies! To the OP, Good thread discussion!
Mad Poster
#9 Old 16th Jun 2024 at 12:23 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Eristreams
I wish there was a way to hire a neighbor or teen to babysit, but until then i am happy to have even a random nanny take care of them while my parents work, rest, or go on vacation.

I like to use Watch Kids Enabled For All Households along with a money-transfer mod. (Just be careful if you use firemod, the babysitter will run off if a fire breaks out and the controller will throw errors.) I'd love for someday someone to make a proper babysitting mod.

I'm secretly a Bulbasaur. | Formerly known as ihatemandatoryregister

Looking for SimWardrobe's mods? | Or Dizzy's? | Faiuwle/rufio's too! | smorbie1's Chris Hatch archives
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#10 Old 16th Jun 2024 at 1:16 PM
I send my playable an invite ecard (they can't refuse that) they come on over, I make selectable to do the work, pay them via wallet controller, deselect and say good bye.

Then there are the mods as mentioned for others ^

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#11 Old 16th Jun 2024 at 1:49 PM
My sims do interact with and build relationships with the nannies, maids, gardeners, cops and so on! I just pretend they live in the unoccupied or hood-deco houses or a nearby town.

MidgeTheTree's NPC apartment neighbours is pretty fun too

Field Researcher
Original Poster
#12 Old 16th Jun 2024 at 7:00 PM
I have (maybe a crazy) idea for active NPC service. Do you think that SIMSLICE custom/hacked/functional objects can be edited, leveled up for enabling sims to act like NPC service? Like...you put hacked item in regular townie sim's inventiry hacked object and then they can act like handyman, repoman, social worker,...?
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#13 Old 16th Jun 2024 at 9:52 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Lena88
I have (maybe a crazy) idea for active NPC service. Do you think that SIMSLICE custom/hacked/functional objects can be edited, leveled up for enabling sims to act like NPC service? Like...you put hacked item in regular townie sim's inventiry hacked object and then they can act like handyman, repoman, social worker,...?

A mod for that already exists called the All In One Nanny by Christianlov. It's a painting. Tricky to use, if you unpause before its set it up it will spawn an NPC. But you can set it to bring a playable. It's on here.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#14 Old 17th Jun 2024 at 1:35 PM
Quote: Originally posted by simsfreq
My sims do interact with and build relationships with the nannies, maids, gardeners, cops and so on! I just pretend they live in the unoccupied or hood-deco houses or a nearby town.

MidgeTheTree's NPC apartment neighbours is pretty fun too

I wonder if their NPC token could be kept when they move in, allowing them to still work.

Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
A mod for that already exists called the All In One Nanny by Christianlov. It's a painting. Tricky to use, if you unpause before its set it up it will spawn an NPC. But you can set it to bring a playable. It's on here.

https://modthesims.info/d/286864/al...nny-090429.html
Mad Poster
#15 Old 18th Jun 2024 at 7:45 PM
Yes, they do still work as NPCs!

Test Subject
#16 Old 18th Jun 2024 at 8:51 PM
I wonder if their NPC token could be kept when they move in, allowing them to still work.

https://modthesims.info/d/286864/al...nny-090429.html

Has anyone ever tried to move nannies, cops, gardeners… into homes? If so, did you come across any technical problems?
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#17 Old 18th Jun 2024 at 9:09 PM
No problems technically, but NPCs will retain their NPC behaviour unless you change their original GUID. For example, I have a butler that I aged up and retired (made him a townie, and now he lives as an apartment neighbour). If he walks by your lot, he will sometimes come in and make you some food. I've had a few house fires where he does this in the middle of the night, and leaves before getting the food out of the oven. Hilarious to me and quite intentional on my part!
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#18 Old 18th Jun 2024 at 9:36 PM
Has anyone ever tried to move nannies, cops, gardeners… into homes? If so, did you come across any technical problems?

Those NPC's are all perfectly safe to play and marry. I think I have married in/moved in a couple of cops, a bugler, firefighter, mail carrier, newspaper teen, nanny and maid. I don't think I have moved in a gardener yet, but they should also be fine. I've also moved in the Uni cow, llama, a streaker, cheerleader and a professor. I like my hood to keep ageing so if an NPC can be moved in I will. The burglar came with the sims Free Time car he stole in his in inventory, so that was nice to get that back.
They do retain some things, like he sometimes would sneak walk and the prof kept showing up in his Prof outfit. Things like that.

~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#19 Old 18th Jun 2024 at 9:41 PM

https://modthesims.info/t/519193

Quote: Originally posted by conversesneaker
When Gordon King hired a butler, whenever the butler saw him, he would freak and call the police on his employer. It was funny the first four times.

I'm secretly a Bulbasaur. | Formerly known as ihatemandatoryregister

Looking for SimWardrobe's mods? | Or Dizzy's? | Faiuwle/rufio's too! | smorbie1's Chris Hatch archives
Scholar
#20 Old 18th Jun 2024 at 10:03 PM
In my ongoing Pleasantview, I have moved in and have been playing all of these Sims: Ramin Centowski, police officer; Gordon King, burglar; Russ Bear, burglar; Kaylynn Langerak, maid; Lucy Hanby, maid; Dagmar Bertino, letter carrier; Sheldon Hanby, letter carrier; Neil LeTourneau, firefighter; and Leo Depiesse, gardener. I have not yet moved in any nannies or repairpeople, but I probably will in the future. This is due to my goals of moving all the Sims who have significant relationships with my playables (Gordon, Kaylynn, etc.) and my head canon that Sims with the same last name are related. So Leo is related to Abhijeet Depiesse, the townie, who is playable; Ramin and Orlando Centowski are brothers; Lucy and Sheldon are siblings; etc. I've been playing them all without any noticeable odd behavior, but to be fair, gardeners are not really needed in my hood due to mods, so that isn't really being tested. I have the NPC job pack so they could all retain their jobs after being moved in, but it's just a low-paying 9-to-5 carpool job. They no longer function as the NPC.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#21 Old 18th Jun 2024 at 10:40 PM
It can be cool and useful if there was a mod that could allow NPC to retain their (animation/interaction speaking) function.
Mad Poster
#22 Old 19th Jun 2024 at 4:50 PM
Quote: Originally posted by simsfreq
Yes, they do still work as NPCs!

Quote: Originally posted by sturlington
They no longer function as the NPC.

So, which is correct? Do they still come over when you call for a service or not?
Scholar
#23 Old 19th Jun 2024 at 5:43 PM
So, which is correct? Do they still come over when you call for a service or not?

They don't in my game. The only thing that happened recently was when one of my pets ran away, they called the police and Ramin Centowski was the one who took the call, although he's currently a playable. But once I moved in Kaylynn and Lucy, Remington Harris was the sole maid left in Pleasantview because I have the antiredundancy mod, so he comes over and cleans all the houses.

I did leave them all in their work uniforms as their daily wear, though, so in my head it looks like they're going about their jobs when they show up on community lots and such.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#24 Old 19th Jun 2024 at 10:48 PM

When you move them in they become a playable. Without a job. So no they won't still come over.

However when my sims get a call (I want to say a hobby magazine), the paper girl shows in the pop up. The paper girl went to college about 5 years ago and is a grown adult now.

~Call me Jo~
Instructor
#25 Old 20th Jun 2024 at 12:33 AM
I moved in a cashier back when my neighborhood was very young, and I didn't generate another one for a while, so whenever I bought stuff using monique's hacked computer, her face still showed up, even if she was already an elder.

I have also moved in all of the university NPCs. Llamas, cows, and cheerleaders show up to every household with no invitation, even if they're nowhere near friends with the people in my active household. My streaker doesn't show up, but he sleeps naked, and after taking a shower or a bath, he doesn't get dressed. I think half of my screenshots of him are him naked, just because he doesn't like wearing any clothes. My cafeteria lady always showed up everywhere as well, and she used to pick fights with everyone.

I also have one barista who keeps showing up everywhere uninvited and I'm not sure why; just like my cafeteria lady.

Something weird is that every business reporter that has generated in my game does this weird thing where their file is split whenever I give them a makeover, whether I move them in or not. I have 4 business reporters in my game: the first one that generated I moved him in soon after, and later I realized that I had two character files for him, one ending in ".1". When another one generated, I checked her in SimPE and her file was normal, but when I moved her in and gussied her up, her character split. When the third one generated, I checked again, normal file, changed her clothes only, checked again, and her character split. I don't know what this is, but it doesn't do anything in-game either, so it doesn't bother me much.

Look at these photos of my former streaker, who doesn't like wearing clothes:
Screenshots
Page 1 of 2