Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 1st Mar 2005 at 1:08 AM
Default Staring at the EP box is no fun!
Well, I went to install EP when it arrived this afternoon and low and behold: I get a nice error. I keep getting a data error on the files Simep_1x.exe (the name might be off) and TSUpd.exe in the TSbin. I'm guessing its a disk error and I'll have to replace it as I have tested it in two other computers and the disk is so clean it sparkles but can anyone suggest any fixes that might let me do the install?
Advertisement
Test Subject
#2 Old 1st Mar 2005 at 1:13 AM
did u try reinstalling the entire game so you can tar from scratch.
thats what im gonna do so i dont run into any errors.
Lab Assistant
#3 Old 1st Mar 2005 at 1:14 AM
*hisses*

Nay to reinstalling!! NAY!
Test Subject
#4 Old 1st Mar 2005 at 1:31 AM
im not that worried about losing my downloads and im just doing it to be safe.
Test Subject
#5 Old 1st Mar 2005 at 2:32 AM
I have exactly the same problem. Sims2EP1.exe and TS2UPD.exe won't even manually copy to the hard drive. I have tried the disc on 6 different CD or DVD drives on 4 different computers without any success, and have also tried setting the drives to PIO mode instead of DMA mode. If you can't manually copy the files to the hard drive, then the disc is probably defective and reinstalling the game is pointless.

I just wish they had a second copy of those files on CD 2 (which only has 224 MB on it). Then you could just put everything on your hard drive and install from there.

Mike
Test Subject
Original Poster
#6 Old 1st Mar 2005 at 2:42 AM
Default Still nothing
I've tried a few things and you are right, Mike. It has to be the disk. I'm thinking that their was a bad batch in the first few. Tomorrow I'm heading out to replace it and we'll see how that works out.

linx
Instructor
#7 Old 1st Mar 2005 at 2:44 AM
Now that I"ve read on a few boards about people having problems installing, I'm getting worried about having the same problems! ewww! I hope you can find out what the problem is! SOmeone said it can't be installed in the same directory where Sims 2 is, but to let it install where it wants to install it to. Have you installed a "no-cd" crack? Have you removed your hacks and downloads and tried installing? Look in your config folder and remove the nude patch. Reinstall the entire game? ewww
Test Subject
Original Poster
#8 Old 1st Mar 2005 at 3:00 AM
I have removed everything, hacks, mods, downloads, you name it I have removed it. I refuse to reinstall for the fact that I have a family I have played for some seven generations and I rather like them.

I have gone on to the CD and tried to examine the files and was given a totally new set of errors reinforcing the idea that it is the disk not my game. We'll see tomorrow.
Lab Assistant
#9 Old 1st Mar 2005 at 3:02 AM
linx, if you make a backup of the neigberhood the family is in and reinstall. All you have to do is replace the neigberhood (you saved) with the one that was just installed. I just did it and it worked fine (I don't have uni yet, but i'm getting ready :D)
Test Subject
#10 Old 1st Mar 2005 at 2:47 PM
I tried recovering the files on the CD using CDCheck 3, but that didn't work. I set the maximum failed reads to 50, but there were still a lot of unreadable sectors. I tried installing from my hard drive anyway, but got an error when updating The Sims 2 at the end of the installation. And no, I am not using a No-CD/No-Blur crack or anything. Just a defective disc.

Looks like I should have waited and bought the game in a store rather than at Gamestop.com. I called them a few minutes ago, and they said I can't exchange the game at a local Gamestop store. It was unlikely that they'd let me do that, but it was worth a shot.

Mike
Instructor
#11 Old 1st Mar 2005 at 6:57 PM
Sorry to hear you guys are having trouble. I'm going to pick it up in the store today and if it doesn't work they are getting it right back!

I don't know what Gamestop's problem is, but EBgames.com says on their website that games ordered online can be returned in the stores as long as you can provide the original packing slip.

http://www.ebgames.com/ebx/help/shi...eturnPolicy.asp
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
#12 Old 1st Mar 2005 at 7:02 PM
linx: reinstalling is a safe operation that does not destroy your families. However, it sounds like your problem is a bad disk. Just take it back to the store and exchange it. In a way, you're lucky. You have a perfectly good reason to exchange it, and for your trouble, you'll get an extra CD key. Use it wisely.