Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#1 Old 21st Jul 2023 at 5:10 AM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default Beds, Bugs and Bloopers
Apparently the game has a pair of linked, deeply-hidden and (probably) unfixable bugs regarding beds. If it throws a Force Error for any reason, including the installation of new globals, certain beds - but not all of them - will lose any skins they had and revert to an ugly raw-wood color (no matter what color they were originally). I have known for a long time that the primary offenders were the MALM double beds (aren't they supposed to be Custom Content?), but recently discovered that the Hemnes double beds do the same thing (and I thought they were Maxis!). The ONLY solution to this problem, so far, is to sell and replace the bed - and if you replace it with another of the same series, or with the same problem, you will only have to do it again. And again.

The other half of the problem concerns the bedding. If there were any Sims sleeping and they got popped up like morning toast, the bedding (on any and all beds) will stay humped as though the Sim was still sleeping there. You can't "Make Bed" to smooth it down, and the Maid won't do anything about it either. However, if there are any children in the household, you can direct them to "Jump On Bed" and that will get rid of the hump. The other trick I have found that works is to have a Sim "Relax" on the bed (for a double bed you need two affectionate Sims and they need to "Cuddle" also). This is, however, a confounded nuisance and I wonder if anyone has investigated it.
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 21st Jul 2023 at 5:31 AM
That's not a problem I've ever encountered, so I really doubt it's actually a bug in the game. I use both of those beds frequently (and neither of them are CC, by the way). I'm guessing it's probably some custom covers/recolor you have for the beds.

If the covers get stuck because of a neighborhood reset, you can just reset the bed and that should fix it.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#3 Old 21st Jul 2023 at 5:41 AM
Number one: Just use the swatch tool on it, you don't even have to click okay and spend money, just click the current colour.

Number two: The fix is what you are currently doing, don't know of another. Could try boolprop on it.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#4 Old 21st Jul 2023 at 5:53 AM Last edited by simmer22 : 22nd Jul 2023 at 4:50 AM.
Before you introduce more mods to your game, first check if your game has unresolved conflicts.

If you get errors somewhat frequently from sims using these beds, I'd think you possibly have a mod or mod conflict that's affecting beds or bed behavior, or possibly that you've got a GUID issue with these beds where something is interfering with the supporting GUIDs/OBJDs (but not the main ones, or you'd get issues with it showing/placing).

You'll want to check one of those error logs with the "what caused this" program to see if it's an easily found mod. Possibly run the HDCUto check for conflicts.

Can't remember which items are EA and which are CEP extras - there are some IKEA items that are addons if you use the CEP - but I think both those double beds are EA. I haven't had these issues in my game, and I've played for a long time, using two different versions of the game and probably at least a couple versions of the CEP, too (and these are two of my go-to-beds ingame, so it's not like I have never used them. Quite the opposite...).

If you use CEPextra items, make sure you've installed them in the proper place. Not doing so could have some weird consequences.

Resetting bedding - or bedding switching colors - is an issue I have seen. The one I had was with crib bedding. For me it happened because the MMATs for some recolors (not for the mesh files!) were set to "true" instead of "false". Creates some weird behavior. Had some crib recolors that absolutely refused to change to what I was setting them to, and one of the beddings seem to insist it's the "new default" one, even shows up as such in the catalog instead of the "blue moon" bedding. They seem to behave a bit better after I changed them, except for the "new default" one. Doesn't mean this is the cause on your end, though, as it can have other causes. (Just in case anyone has ever downloaded bedding from the long-dead-and-gone "SimSquirts" - the files are probably still available somewhere so just as a FYI - a lot of the bedding from there had these issues. Some clothes from there appears to have been hidden from the catalog as well, so lots of weird stuff going on. Still, took me 16-17 years to notice most of those bugs, so eh... But I have on rare occasions seen the issue elsewhere, too).

If all else fails, re-buying a bed (or any other item) is a temporary fix for most problems with an object that bugs out.
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#5 Old 21st Jul 2023 at 8:40 AM
Thanks for the tip about the "swatch tool" (Tooltip calls it the "Design Tool"). Didn't know what it was, or what it did.

As to the bug, I think it has to do with bed ownership, probably the "Smart Beds" mod (which I use by preference). And it only happens when something goes worng, so finding it isn't going to be simple.
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#6 Old 22nd Jul 2023 at 12:05 AM Last edited by simsample : 22nd Jul 2023 at 11:46 PM. Reason: typo
Quote: Originally posted by Sims2Maven
As to the bug, I think it has to do with bed ownership, probably the "Smart Beds" mod (which I use by preference). And it only happens when something goes wrong, so finding it isn't going to be simple.

I've seen it in my game too, it isn't smart beds as I don't use that mod. It just seems to be something that happens when an error is thrown on a sim using a bed. I see it on the cheap double beds most often. Usually happens when I do something like add or remove mods which cause a lot reset on loading. I'd love to know where that texture is being pulled from!
Scholar
#7 Old 22nd Jul 2023 at 3:14 AM
There isn't necessarily an error with beds themselves. But the stuck object animation is not a problem either. You use beds at least once a day, and they will eventually correct themselves. An error-less reset of people seems to happen once "too many" globals get changed. That is annoying if the lot was saved with people at work. Sometimes I know which mod was the last added, and can temporarily remove it until the people have been saved at home and standing idle.
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#8 Old 22nd Jul 2023 at 4:33 AM
Quote: Originally posted by jonasn
You use beds at least once a day, and they will eventually correct themselves.

The covers, yes - the color, no. That doesn't correct until you manually correct it. (Next time it happens, I really must try the "swatch tool" fix.)
Mad Poster
#9 Old 22nd Jul 2023 at 4:58 AM
Do you have reolors of the beds? If so, and the beds seem to reset to one of those, check if you can find these recolors in your Downloads folder (if you have debug mode on, you can hover the arrow over the buggy swatch and find the name of the string, which should be at least somewhat helpful). Then you can check in SimPE whether they have the MMAT issue I mentioned above.

If the "defaultMaterial" string says "true" for the recolor, it's likely to cause issues. You can set it to "false" to fix it (value 0). The main MMATs for a mesh needs to be set to "true", but all other recolors for that item should be set to "false".

If it's a bed that's often cloned, the issue can just as likely come from a cloned bed with borked MMATs. I've been weeding out some items lately (and fixing them) that had new GUIDs, but the creators had forgotten to update the MMATs, so the new object was picking up textures from the TXMT/SHPE, while the original EAxis item was picking up the textures from the MMAT (none of the items had recolors, which is probably the reason nobody noticed the issues). I had several vase textures like these, among other things (wouldn't be surprised if there are beds like this as well).
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#10 Old 22nd Jul 2023 at 6:32 AM
I'm not sure what the beds reset to, but it's definitely not any of the "official" recolors. Possibly a base object texture mis-set to "true", as per suggestion? (As I originally noted, the most glaring offenders were the MALM double beds. For some reason it doesn't happen with MALM singles, though.)
Mad Poster
#11 Old 22nd Jul 2023 at 7:18 AM Last edited by simmer22 : 22nd Jul 2023 at 7:39 AM.
If both the double and single beds are EAxis originals, they're probably not repo'd to each other, so that would explain the issue. They would have different GUIDs for the bed frame, and separate recolors, so the problem would only happen for the double bedframe.

If they are repo'd, it could still explain the issue, because repo'd items didn't seem to be as affected as the original maxis crib. I haven't had too many issues in the past, but this time when I noticed the bug, the default EAxis crib would jump between colors and refuse to use some of the swatches while I was even using the recoloring tool ingame. Repo'd items picked up the swatches fine, but most didn't do the color jumping like the crib.
Mad Poster
#12 Old 22nd Jul 2023 at 8:46 AM
The texture error happens to me with a lot of different beds. I remember first noticing it on the University Flowin Protozoan bed. It's almost like it's some stretched weird wood texture from underneath the bed which is never usually seen and gets remapped incorrectly. It also happens to the cheapest double bed.

I just did some testing, and it's not all beds, but quite a few of them. The ones I found which do this are:

The Four Post Bed
Flowin Protozoan Single Bed
Sleepwave 42
The Ergonomizer (but not Hellacious Headboard, the double version)
Flowin Protozoan Double
Hemnes double
Maturely Medieval single
Malm double

I found that it doesn't happen if you force an error on the bed directly, but it does happen if a sim is doing something in the bed (relaxing, sleeping) and you force an error on the sim. (I also found out my sim was pregnant thanks to looking at the debug menu :D)

I get errors on beds fairly often, not because of any glitch, but because I frequently exit and save a lot when sims are sleeping, because that is typically when I get bored and want to play someone else. Then if I swap global mods in or out, of course you get the global reset and that will pop sims out of bed.

With a lot of custom beds, the reset state is even more annoying because there is no texture and it flashes blue. Midge made instructions to fix this which is the last step here: https://midgethetree.tumblr.com/pos...s-bunk-beds-and

I usually fix the texture issue with the swatch tool, which doesn't charge anything if you change to the same colour it is already set to, but without the free recolors mod, you can't click on this if the family funds are under £15.

Screenshots

Check out my thoughts on Psymchology (Sim Psychology) - latest post is on the main six aspirations.
Mad Poster
#13 Old 22nd Jul 2023 at 8:57 AM
Now I've looked again, the beds are taking textures from some other random bed. See the four poster bed in the second screenshot, that has a kind of bamboo texture in the headboard, which is present on the fail-state texture of the 4 post bed and the Sleepwave 42 (pets Atomic bed).

The uni double Protozoan bed is taking (maybe) the cheapest single bed texture? Whereas the single Protozoan, and the Maturely Medieval, take the texture of the cheapest Pine single bed. The two Ikea beds take the same texture at the double uni bed is taking (which I think is the cheap double, but not sure).

The BV hotel single bed seems to get a wooden stripe in the middle of the upholstered headboard, while the double has no issues at all.

Check out my thoughts on Psymchology (Sim Psychology) - latest post is on the main six aspirations.
Mad Poster
#14 Old 22nd Jul 2023 at 9:08 AM
I'd think it could have something to do with how the MMATs or GUIDs are set up, in relation to custom beds. While searching around in my own folders I've found several weird setups - one borked supporting OBJD, the MMAT issue explained above, and some other issues. If someone updates the GUID but doesn't update the MMATs for instance, the frame texture can act weird (and if the bed only has one color, and occasionally if the items are repo'd, if to an item that works fine, nobody might notice).

If you look at a lot of those beds, especially the yellow one at the bottom, that one takes on the color of the original bed it was cloned from (the cheap one), so it definitely has something strange going on. The one next to it and the four-poster have the wrong mapping, so I'd assume that's also a custom bed misbehaving. Whether it's the mesh or a recolor of that bed is difficult to say without looking at the files (check the recolors in debug mode ingame - you can usually find a rough name there, and then search in your Downloads folder. I take screenshots, it's easier than writing it down, plus you also get the exact bed and how the buggy texture looks like).
Mad Poster
#15 Old 22nd Jul 2023 at 4:11 PM
None of these are custom beds, I haven't tested any custom beds. They are Maxis beds. I don't even have any custom recolours for most of these.

The yellow one at the bottom is the "after" state of the Maxis "Maturely Medievel Single Bed", the elder male sim in the second screenshot is just getting into it in its "before" state.

I should have labelled the pictures really but the first screenshot is all normal, default textures for each bed.

Second is in progress. I deleted the beds that didn't have the issue and had added some more to test. So some are in a "before" and some "after" state.

Last pic is showing all beds which have had their texture go weird from having sims reset while lying in them. (Except that I kept the double BV hotel bed to show that it's fine despite the single one getting its texture broken).

Or are you saying that this problem with maxis beds is caused by having a different custom bed in the game at all? Interesting. I am off to test in a clean game.

Mad Poster
#16 Old 22nd Jul 2023 at 5:20 PM Last edited by simsfreq : 22nd Jul 2023 at 8:35 PM.
OK, I'm back with a much clearer pair of screenshots, from a totally clean game, the only CC in here is a bunch of face templates/sliders that I was testing and the bright CAS fix. It doesn't even look like it has CEP in there.

I have Ultimate Collection. I know that I started noticing this happening after I installed AL, I can't test in any other game configuration - UC always requires mansions and gardens. Perhaps somebody without AL would be willing to test?

Just to recap, the error happens when a sim is lying in the bed (sleeping or relaxing, it doesn't matter) and the SIM is reset (e.g. by "force error"). The texture change does not happen if only the bed itself is reset.

I also have a list of every Maxis bed and whether or not this happens. I did not take a screenshot of every bed. Warning, quite a few screenshots under the cut.

You can see in the "after" picture(s) that the pillows are stuck in the relax position - I do not consider this to be a bug, I think this is expected behaviour when an action in process has been interrupted. The texture changing, though, is a bug.

Screenshots

Mad Poster
#17 Old 22nd Jul 2023 at 6:55 PM
I'd say it's likely there are some buggy CC items in your downloads.

I've seen some weird things happen with EAxis furniture when CC hasn't been properly made - especially issues with GUIDs, improperly repo'd items, and MMATs, which can absolutely cause issues with textures and even errors. Could make you a whole list just from the past couple months of editing my downloads folder...

I didn't think there were too many issues, but then I ran a GUID search in SimPE just to see, and oh boy there were some weird ones... Unfortunately it doesn't pick up on MMAT issues, but I did a manual check on a few of the "worst offenders" (AKA the meshes people most often clone) with debug mode ingame, just hovering over the swatch thumbs, and I found a LOT of buggy items there too (any swatches that don't look right on that particular object or have a wildly different swatch name than the object you're checking are more likely to belong to a different object, AKA MMAT/GUID issue).
Mad Poster
#18 Old 22nd Jul 2023 at 7:08 PM
My later test, with the desert screenshots was done in a game with no CC except for some sliders and face templates and the bright CAS fix.

So I don't think it can be caused by CC.

I'm curious also as to why it happens with the MALM single in my game but not to Sims2Maven. That's why I'd be interested to see if anyone else feels like testing this issue, and why I included the list of beds.

I've been wondering about this for a while so I'd be interested if anyone has any input.

Mad Poster
#19 Old 22nd Jul 2023 at 7:18 PM
Do you have any CEPextras placed elsewhere in your folders, or something like that? Could be you have some of those interfering with each other. Because I'm reasonably sure some of those beds are (for whatever reason) picking up textures from somewhere they shouldn't be picking them up when they're in the "error mode".

I can check a few of those and see if it happens for me too. Can't say I've ever seen the texture change happen (but haven't had too many errors happen either).

Game version, maybe?
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#20 Old 22nd Jul 2023 at 7:58 PM
I'm seeing the same thing so I tested in a completely vanilla game- this is using pristine gamedata files (that is, exactly as they are after a clean disc install, fully patched)- the only exception is that I added the No-CD EP9 exe.
I then generated a fresh set of userdata and moved Coral and Herb into a prebuilt house in Pleasantview.
I turned on testingcheats to do this test.
No CEP and no changes to the graphics rules (hence the image being VGA resolution! ) No CC of any kind.

After I forced an error on Coral and Herb:
Screenshots
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#21 Old 22nd Jul 2023 at 8:04 PM
I have CEP-EXTRA-OFBWindows-Fix-For-AL, but simsample's test results indicate that CEP is not the cause of the problem.

It looks like EAxis screwed something up.
Mad Poster
#22 Old 22nd Jul 2023 at 8:17 PM
If you check the debug text on the swatch on one of the buggy beds after the error, what does it say? Could potentially give some sort of answer, and maybe even help on the route for a fix. Maybe which bed it's swapping textures to.

Goodness only knows EA has a tendency to screw up things, especially with patches and new EPs - honestly wouldn't be too surprised if it turns out they've messed up in some of the files :/
Mad Poster
#23 Old 22nd Jul 2023 at 8:28 PM
I'm certain there is no CEP in my test game, because I let the game generate a totally new TS2UC folder and just add in whatever I want to test, and I haven't tested any Maxis recolours so wouldn't have needed the CEP. (OK I must have the shadow fix in too. No black boxes in my screenshot!)

I don't know why but for some reason testingcheats isn't showing up my version number? I thought it was supposed to do that. But anyway, I'm playing UC, the official one that Origin was giving out ages ago, via RPS launcher.

If you have disc versions, simsample, would you maybe be able to test with AGS? I see this happen a lot in university dorms, especially Maxis dorms that use those Flowin Protozoan beds, but I used to play Maxis dorms a lot and do not remember this ever happening in older EPs. My hunch is it's caused by one of the later EPs, probably AL, maybe FT.

Or @AndrewGloria - would you mind testing this if you have time?

Who plays on a mac do we know?

Mad Poster
#24 Old 22nd Jul 2023 at 8:47 PM
OK well this is weird - I have just loaded up to check my game version in my test hood, and all the textures are back to normal, even though I didn't reset them with the swatch tool.

What do you mean by "If you check the debug text on the swatch" ? I don't know what text this is referring to. Do you mean when you click the item in the catalog and mouse over the colour options? I can do that, but the broken texture doesn't appear there, so I don't know if it would be helpful. When you click with the swatch tool, it has the old texture that you originally selected, and whether you click confirm or cancel, it corrects the texture. There are no tooltips there.

So I just tested this again, this time with the Sonic Space bed, broke it, saved, went to neighbourhood, reloaded the house and the texture is fixed, so at least we know that it isn't in fact stuck like that forever. (The bedding is still stuck in the in-use position, but that's expected, IMO.)

That must have also been what happened when I loaded the lot again just now.

I could probably look through them all again and make a guess at which textures they are using incorrectly. Just not right now as I'm about to jump into another game.

Screenshots

Mad Poster
#25 Old 22nd Jul 2023 at 11:08 PM
Quote: Originally posted by simsfreq
What do you mean by "If you check the debug text on the swatch" ? I don't know what text this is referring to. Do you mean when you click the item in the catalog and mouse over the colour options? I can do that, but the broken texture doesn't appear there, so I don't know if it would be helpful. When you click with the swatch tool, it has the old texture that you originally selected, and whether you click confirm or cancel, it corrects the texture. There are no tooltips there.

That's what I meant. I guess if it's an EAxis issue, it might not show up as debug text for the swatches, but I'm not entirely sure. You do need Testingcheats for the text to show (the text looks like the picture below - which happens to be one of the buggy items that caused the EAxis items to pick up weird recolors in my game - There were about 6-8 of this particular one. I don't think I had any actual recolors of that item...)
Screenshots
Page 1 of 2