Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 13th Feb 2007 at 1:53 AM Last edited by IgnorantBliss : 21st Feb 2007 at 6:28 PM. Reason: removed attachment
Default Window and column beams lighting problem
Hello wonderful modders. I don't know that I've seen just this problem posted anywhere. If it has, I couldn't find it. The problem is that even though the texture in the objects (a window, and two versions of a column, and when I get them finished, a door and arch) They all use the same texture, or a version of it, that is the same value all the way across, but as you can see in Texasbluebonnie's picture here, they show a strong value change across the beam. It doesn't matter which way you turn it, it still does this. Ideally, it would be nicest if they actually connected, like counters do when you put them next to each other, but I hasn't the first clue how to make them do that. At least, I'd like to fix the lighting problem so that they blend more seamlessly when two or more are side by side, but I don't know why it does this. Does anyone know how to fix this? If there's a tutorial on either problem, that would be sufficient.

Thanks
Screenshots

“Meddle not in the affairs of the dragon; for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.”
-unknown
Advertisement
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
#2 Old 13th Feb 2007 at 2:03 AM
Someone else just had that very same problem, and I gave them a big long answer on why it's happening, and how to fix it (assuming you're using Milkshape) here: http://www.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=220055

my simblr (sometimes nsfw)

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Panquecas, panquecas e mais panquecas.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#3 Old 13th Feb 2007 at 3:00 AM
Unfortunately, I use Wings 3d, but I'll give the thing you recommended a try and see what happens.

“Meddle not in the affairs of the dragon; for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.”
-unknown
*shrugs*
retired moderator
#4 Old 13th Feb 2007 at 3:25 AM Last edited by maybesomethingdunno : 13th Feb 2007 at 3:41 AM.
To fix the shading issue, you could try fixing the smoothing on the mesh. With Wings 3D, you click on the last red pyramid icon (the one that selects the entire mesh), right click in the work area, and click on the little square next to Auto-Smooth and set Auto-Smooth to 0 (or a very small number). You can also do this individually by setting individual edges to being "hard". You can see how this changes the rendering if you have first pyramid in the top left corner (the one with the gray gradient) selected. I can post a picture if I was not clear.

I don't mind if you call me "MSD" or something for short.
Tumblr
Perhaps someday I'll have leisure time back...
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#5 Old 13th Feb 2007 at 2:32 PM
Ok, the advice IB gave didn't help, because Wings has no command to align normals. I can select by similar normals, but there's nothing to change them. However, maybesomething's advice did make a difference. Here's a pic to show. Only thing is, the column appeared nice and rounded before and now it's clearly octagon-shaped. I'll play around with smoothing, but I thought you'd like to know what happened.
Screenshots

-unknown
Locked thread | Locked by: IgnorantBliss Reason: problem solved