Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#1 Old 29th Jul 2024 at 6:31 AM
Default What new wants & fears would you add?
My main one is 'get a job in {any available custom career}' - though I can imagine this getting some strange results since I can't think of a way to correlate them to a Sim's interests or aspirations.

I'm secretly a Bulbasaur. | Formerly known as ihatemandatoryregister

Looking for SimWardrobe's mods? | Or Dizzy's? | Faiuwle/rufio's too! | smorbie1's Chris Hatch archives
Advertisement
Test Subject
#2 Old 29th Jul 2024 at 1:01 PM
It would be cool if Sims with a poor relationship to a family member's fiance would roll fears of them getting married. Also for low Mechanical skill non-Knowledge Sims to fear repairing appliances that might electrocute them.

I'd love to see very grouchy Sims roll wants to make enemies with Sims they've recently met. And imagine if Family Sims with cars could roll wants to drive their kids to school

Do you ever hear a song so beautiful you want to financially support the artist, but you can't because the artist is a common wood pigeon?
Mad Poster
#3 Old 29th Jul 2024 at 3:11 PM
I would want to add wants of 'friends dropping by" or 'relative calls'-the generic 'phone call' is too generic. "Call relative" would help.

Receptacle Refugee & Resident Polar Bear
"Get out of my way, young'un, I'm a ninja!"
Grave Matters: The funeral podium is available here: https://www.mediafire.com/file/e6tj...albits.zip/file
My other downloads are here: https://www.mediafire.com/?r=wbmnd#myfiles
Instructor
#4 Old 29th Jul 2024 at 5:06 PM
Honestly, I'm not sure, there are already so many wants and fears that really make sims feel like they have their own personalities. For example, despite both of them being Knowledge sims, Martin Ruben is a much better student than Allegra Gorey because Martin rolls stuff like study, go to class and other university-related wants while Allegra rolls wants about creativity like selling a masterpiece. So I really don't know, maybe a want to move out when they have enough money to afford a better house, or if they need more space for children. I know there's already a want to move out, but (and I can be wrong since it's so rare) it only shows for a tiny bit when teens become adults in their parents' house. Similarly, sims could fear moving out, or fear going to university, like when they have both the want and the fear of having a baby.
Quote: Originally posted by FranH
I would want to add wants of 'friends dropping by" or 'relative calls'-the generic 'phone call' is too generic. "Call relative" would help.

Doesn't the game already have a want to call a specific sim?

Nice Rachel we're having.
My Simblr! Now actually working!
Scholar
#5 Old 29th Jul 2024 at 5:59 PM
I like the want to move out idea, or maybe to buy a new house, like the want they sometimes get to buy a vacation house. I also would like a want to ask someone to move in, similar to the want to hire someone who you're friends with as an employee, that could be interpreted as wanting a roommate or wanting a boyfriend/girlfriend to live with them but not go all the way to marriage yet. I also would like to see a want to break up for adults when their relationship is really bad. I've only ever gotten that want one time, and it was a teen who got it. I'm fairly sure there must be a mod that fixes this and that I tried it and it didn't work somehow in my game, because I know I've probably searched for it more than once.
Mad Poster
#6 Old 29th Jul 2024 at 7:36 PM
Quote:
Doesn't the game already have a want to call a specific sim?

No-actually-it has the generic "call someone" or "booty call" someone specific, if you have ACR.

Not a specific sim. There's "Want to be friends with" or "Be best friends" with, but there is nothing to specifically call them over for a visit.

You can call your friends and the call menu pops up with "Invite over" but I'm talking about before the phone call.

Grave Matters: The funeral podium is available here: https://www.mediafire.com/file/e6tj...albits.zip/file
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#7 Old 29th Jul 2024 at 7:42 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Yvelotic2001
So I really don't know, maybe a want to move out when they have enough money to afford a better house, or if they need more space for children. I know there's already a want to move out, but (and I can be wrong since it's so rare) it only shows for a tiny bit when teens become adults in their parents' house.

"Move Out" can also appear with a bad environmental score. I've seen it appear after a massive house fire burned everything to debris.

Quote: Originally posted by FranH
No-actually-it has the generic "call someone" or "booty call" someone specific, if you have ACR.

There's also a want for "invite over specific Sim."

Looking for SimWardrobe's mods? | Or Dizzy's? | Faiuwle/rufio's too! | smorbie1's Chris Hatch archives
Instructor
#8 Old 29th Jul 2024 at 10:15 PM
What I know for 100% sure is that the game has wants to invite someone, chat on the phone with someone and invite over a specific sim. I won't swear I've seen the want to chat on the phone with a specific sim because I might be confusing the two different wants, but I was under the impression that want exists. From my experience, the want to chat on the phone is very rare, the want to invite someone is orders of magnitude more common, and there's only one specific instance I thought I saw the want to chat with a specific sim - but again, I may be misremembering.

Scholar
#9 Old 29th Jul 2024 at 11:38 PM
My Sims get the want to chat with a specific Sim on the phone fairly often. I see it most often for a Sim who has gone to university or for university students who have the want for someone back home. I have recently seen it for a Sim who lived in a different neighborhood (shopping district)--I remember it because I thought it was cool. To me, it implies long distance, which is why they get the want to talk on the phone rather than invite them over. So yes, it does exist, but if you don't play university all that often, you may not see it, based on my experience.

I agree that the want to invite a specific Sim over is pretty common. I was literally just playing the Burbs, and Lucy had the want to invite over Oliver Bertino constantly, which was annoying me because he refused her marriage proposal and they had a wretched date, and I thought she had more pride than that. John also had the want to invite over his good friend Brandi.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#10 Old 29th Jul 2024 at 11:43 PM
I feel it worth noting that "talk to $sim" can be fulfilled by calling them.

Mad Poster
Original Poster
#11 Old 29th Jul 2024 at 11:48 PM
I'd like to see wants and fears for pets. A few off the top of my head:

- Be praised
- Be scolded (fear)
- Bark/hiss at $Sim (low relationship)
- Play/ask for love with $Sim (high relationship)
- Chew/scratch $object (either furniture or a bone/scratching post)
- Chase mailman
- Go for a walk

Instructor
#12 Old 30th Jul 2024 at 12:59 AM
Proof that the want to call a specific sim to chat exists (it's in Portuguese but that's what it means). So I wasn't dreaming.
Screenshots

Mad Poster
#13 Old 30th Jul 2024 at 2:00 AM
Quote:
Proof that the want to call a specific sim to chat exists (it's in Portuguese but that's what it means). So I wasn't dreaming.

I have never seen that in any of my pixel's wants panel. Ever.

I don't know why, but I've not altered those, either.

I've been playing this game a long time..and if I had seen it, I would not have suggested it for a new want.

Instructor
#14 Old 30th Jul 2024 at 2:56 AM
Yeah, at least for me it's an extremely rare want, I believe it's only the second time I've seen it. Luckily it was on the same day as this conversation was happening lol. It *might* be limited to YAs, both times were while I was playing university.

e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#15 Old 30th Jul 2024 at 10:57 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Yvelotic2001

My sims mostly seem to get that want at Uni (missing their close ones).
Lab Assistant
#16 Old 30th Jul 2024 at 12:14 PM
fears like:

- miss the carpool
fortune/family sims

- miss the school bus
serious+outgoing sims?

- feel ashamed
shy sims; triggered by things such as reaction (see simler's reaction mod), being booed at a musical instrument performance, bad joke, being yelled at, etc.

- throw up
i dont recall if it's already in the game

- be attacked/slapped/shove/etc by sim
nice sims

wants:

- clean stuff
I think it might be already in the game but I dont remember seeing it.

- send/receive email
shy+popular

- meet a supernatural
knowledge
Lab Assistant
#17 Old 30th Jul 2024 at 3:07 PM
I'd love to see more dynamic wants for Popularity sims in particular. I like to play a binary aspiration system where sims will be friends to everyone or enemies to everyone, but most of the time they end up being the same because Popularity sims usually only want to be friends with everyone, no matter how mean they are. I'd love to see "Make Enemies With $Subject" as a want rather than just a fear, or roll for more mean interactions, especially because there's already a tree for positive interactions (werein you invite someone over, and they just roll the same three "Entertain, Appreciate, Play With" wants over and over again forever). I can count on one hand how many times I've seen "Win Fight With $Subject" in my game. Becoming enemies and fulfilling that fear is basically impossible because you'd have to actively be trying to fulfill it.

Another thing I'd love is a "hobby want chooser" wherein hobby wants are restricted further, so a sim whose main enthusiasm for fitness ONLY rolls the "Go for a Jog" want, or "Go for a Swim," and not "Go For a Jog, Work Out, Swim, etc." and every hobby want under the sun. I might be a creative person, but I don't want to make pottery the same way I want to sew a project, if that makes sense. Maybe you could just decide which want gets rolled through a hacked object like simblender, disabling specific hobby wants for that sim? It would certainly make hobbies less dominating and I think really add some interest since sims with the same one true hobby usually just get taken over by all these vaguely related hobby wants. It would be less of an issue if the other hobby wants would just reroll when I sim fulfilled one of them, like they've gotten the urge to participate in their hobby out of their system, but they just sit there until you fulfill them, or a bigger want comes up. I have that wants package that restricts them by personality, but I'm honestly considering getting the stricter package at this point.

I'd love to see more specific "Sim gets engaged to $Subject" wants and fears, "Sim gets married to $Subject," etc. it would be great especially for premade storylines like the Goth/Dreamer drama in Pleasantview, maybe Darren fears Cassandra getting married to Don, or in Veronaville with the Capp/Monty Feud. Could also encourage more arranged marriage type deals wherein parents are close with an eligible match so they'd be eager to call them family one day.

In addition to some new wants, I'd love to see more frequent rolling of specific wants like marriage or break up wants, as I almost never get them in my game, even with available fixes.
Instructor
#18 Old 30th Jul 2024 at 5:59 PM
I'd love for the "adopt a baby" to be more common and not just for family same sex couples who just got married. I don't know if there's a mod that does this?

Sometimes the game still throws stuff that I'd never seen or experienced before, and usually it's a want or a fear. A while ago I got a child roll the fear to "Be hugged by a grandparent", and I've only ever seen it one more time after that. More recently, as one of my toddlers was aging up, I got a glimpse of his wants and fears right before they re-rolled, and he had a fear of bladder failure during party (I didn't read the actual text, I didn't get the chance), and that's the only time I've seen that.

Also, as I read above, the "Call X to chat" seems to be a very common want for me. My sims tend to want to speak to very specific person pretty regularly, though I haven't paid attention to see if it only applies to YAs.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#19 Old 30th Jul 2024 at 9:52 PM
Quote: Originally posted by LauraPamplonaS
I'd love for the "adopt a baby" to be more common and not just for family same sex couples who just got married. I don't know if there's a mod that does this?

I think there's a mod that makes adopting also fulfill 'have a baby' but that's about it.

Mad Poster
#20 Old 30th Jul 2024 at 10:25 PM
I think it's a YA want to call a family member - it's a relic of the 00s I think (and earlier decades, of course) because moving away to university before the very very connected feeling that we have now with easy instant messaging, facetime and social media - there was a very visceral sense of just *needing* to connect with someone from home, and of being physically very far away, which is not the same now. I moved country in 2013 and it was already not as strong then. I was used to communicating with my family and friends over text more often than I would see them in person, even when they lived very locally. Whereas I remember just doing a week's summer school at a university in around 2003 and I definitely experienced that pull then.

I see the "Talk to [sim]" and "Talk to a relative" wants a lot, and I usually fulfil them by calling.

Someone mentioned the other day that elders can get a fear of sending an email which I thought was funny (and also has dated terribly!)

I sometimes notice my teen or newly-adult sims thinking about adoption a lot - I usually stick a note in their bio to that effect, and then I make them adopt a child when they are older and in a stable position to do that.

I think most of my want wishes are in relation to mods - it would be funny to see sims get a want to make a crank call, though I can't remember any other mods I've had this thought about.

I like the wants/fears system in general. I like that they change over time too. If you've ever tried to fulfil the "50 1st dates" lifetime want, you might have seen this happen - the sim after a while gets really, really fixated on one specific sim and will just be like "Stop making me date other people. I want THAT one!"

Check out my thoughts on Psymchology (Sim Psychology) - latest post is on the main six aspirations.
Mad Poster
#21 Old 31st Jul 2024 at 2:50 AM
I've had sims who were not YAs have their entire want panel taken up with wants to call people who were not their immediate family members. It doesn't seem to be a common want but it seems like whenever my sims roll it they roll it for like 3+ different sims at the same time.
Mad Poster
#22 Old 31st Jul 2024 at 7:41 AM
Boring, as usual, I am quite happy with the existing wants and fears. (I ignore them often enough as well).

My sims go to community lots, including hobby lots, very often, so their wants reroll quite often - it helps.

As for the LTW's, I like them to be not related to a job and I will reroll them until I get something I like (with help from Lamare, of course, but even before, I'd try to go for the max all sklls/ have 30 best friends/earn xxx simoleons etc). That way I can put them in any job I think my hood needs.
Mad Poster
#23 Old 1st Aug 2024 at 7:09 PM
I think there is a mod about reducing hobby wants because they are very aggressive in the vanilla game. I also use Tunaisafish's enthusiasm overhaul, which prevents sims from gaining loads of enthusiasm in hobbies just from doing normal activities, unless it's their Predestined Hobby. You can still get them to gain enthusiasm, but it won't be as much as in the vanilla game.

I do currently have a very mean (0 Nice) sim and she will roll wants like "X gets sprayed by a skunk" "Drink X" (which is funny because nobody even has a cowplant in the hood!) and "Win a fight against X" - much more than other sims do. I think the aspiration descriptions in CAS or when mousing over on the UI are a bit misleading, though. Popularity sims aren't hugely likely to roll those kinds of wants. They mainly want people to like them.

Check out my thoughts on Psymchology (Sim Psychology) - latest post is on the main six aspirations.
Field Researcher
#24 Old 1st Aug 2024 at 8:21 PM
I have a reserved (or proud) popularity sim who is clearly not nice. Rocker mama Leather Knowles likes being popular, but she likes to beat people up too! I guess she wants to let people know she is the boss.

As to the OP: I'm not sure. I think I would like to see less repetition (get a new pet, buy a vacation home, buy another ceiling fan ...). I do a lot of community lots, so resets happen all the time, which helps.

Maybe just a little bit more randomness?
Mad Poster
#25 Old 6th Aug 2024 at 8:24 AM
I've seen some wants that I don't like - like a toddler wanting a BUSH for ### sake. Do kids ever get a want for a cat or dog? Or even the generic PET? My teens get lots of wants for small electronics (cell phone, etc) which is cool, but kids should want those too. Never seen a want for perfume or jewelry - unless they are in a "store" where they are for sell. Would like to see want to "move out" not just for new adults, but for any age if they are miserable, especially a spouse being cheated on.

Stand up, speak out. Just not to me..
Page 1 of 2