Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 17th Jun 2014 at 6:33 PM Last edited by HugeLunatic : 11th Jul 2022 at 11:51 AM.
Default Tutorial: How to Create Your Own Custom Memories (Easy Way)
Updated!

Today I will teach you how to add custom memories to your game using my Tattered Diary technique.
This is the easy way, because you already have the object to mod and the memory template, so it's extremely simple.
Please read this thread to understand what it's all about.
Use at your own risk, always back-up your neighborhoods before doing this and be patient!

You will need:
1. Custom Memory Kit
2. SimPE

When you're ready, we begin.

0) First of all, create a folder somewhere and name it "Tutorial".
Put there the contents of Custom Memory Kit: icon.png, MEM_Template.package and OBJ_Picked! Memory Manager.package
Copy "MEM_Template" and paste it here. Rename to "MEM_Tutorial" or to the title of your memory.

There is an issue with this Memory Manager. Please do not put it into your Sim's inventory. I didn't test it myself yet, but gummilutt seems to have troubles. I will update when I find out what's causing the trouble
Attached files:
File Type: rar  CustomMemoryKit.rar (13.7 KB, 571 downloads) - View custom content
Advertisement
Site Helper
#2 Old 17th Jun 2014 at 9:25 PM
You'll want to move this to the proper tutorials forum. If you don't know how, ask in the Site Questions forum.
Top Secret Researcher
#3 Old 18th Jun 2014 at 12:28 AM
What if we want to remove custom memories? Are there any complicated special steps we need to take? Or do we just need something like the FFS Lot Debugger and burninate away?
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#4 Old 18th Jun 2014 at 9:41 AM
@k6ka, if you want delete a memory from a Sim, just do ot as regular in SimPE, in Neighborhood Memory section. But if you want to delete the whole mod, you need to clear up all the gossip (using BatBox) and delete every single custom memory you used. It probably will (there‘s no proof for that) corrupt your neighborhood, so think twice before uninstalling because while all the files in Downloads folder, it‘s safe to play
Theorist
#5 Old 18th Jun 2014 at 6:55 PM
DiLight - I love you gurl. :lovestruc I usually play by memories quite a lot, and your tutorial is going to help me spend hours making memories for all those events EA considered unimportant. Thanks so much!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#6 Old 18th Jun 2014 at 7:12 PM
Quote: Originally posted by DJ.
DiLight - I love you gurl. :lovestruc I usually play by memories quite a lot, and your tutorial is going to help me spend hours making memories for all those events EA considered unimportant. Thanks so much!

Thank you! I'm glad you like it!
Please let me know if you have any difficulties or if you need additional information.
Also, if you don't mind, show us some screenshots when it's ready
Mad Poster
#7 Old 18th Jun 2014 at 8:52 PM
The MATY thread you linked with icons, does the links work for you? The Seasons one works, as do the ones posted later in the thread, but the first one.

Also, I have a question regarding this part.

Quote: Originally posted by DiLight
If you download my version of this mod, it will conflict with the one we make here.

That seems odd to me. Are you saying that if you update your mod to include more memories, I can't use that if I made memories of my own? Would you mind explaining why that is, if so? Seems to me, with my limited understanding of modding, that it should be possible to make them compatible.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#8 Old 18th Jun 2014 at 9:13 PM
Quote: Originally posted by gummilutt
The MATY thread you linked with icons, does the links work for you? The Seasons one works, as do the ones posted later in the thread, but the first one.

I have this .rar, get it here: direct link.
That seems odd to me. Are you saying that if you update your mod to include more memories, I can't use that if I made memories of my own? Would you mind explaining why that is, if so? Seems to me, with my limited understanding of modding, that it should be possible to make them compatible.

Well, technically, here we use my object, and if you change something in it and then put in your Downloads folder with my another (original) object, one of them will override another, because they share the same GUID. Also, a lot of memories and interactions will be duplicated, which is..stupid.
I just thought that if people will learn to add their own memories, they will no longer need my version.
Am I wrong, should I create a stand-alone template object to work on in this tutorial? Yeah, maybe I should..
Mad Poster
#9 Old 18th Jun 2014 at 9:28 PM
Well, if one hasn't made a memory that you make, and would like to have it, it seems silly to have to remake them yourself. In my head there should be a way to add memories others made to "my" book, as in, just using their memory templates, not the book-object. If that makes any sense. I'll get back to you once I read the entire tutorial and tried it, I ought to have a better understanding of it then.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#10 Old 18th Jun 2014 at 10:42 PM Last edited by DiLight : 20th Jun 2014 at 2:57 PM.
Well, if one hasn't made a memory that you make, and would like to have it, it seems silly to have to remake them yourself. In my head there should be a way to add memories others made to "my" book, as in, just using their memory templates, not the book-object. If that makes any sense. I'll get back to you once I read the entire tutorial and tried it, I ought to have a better understanding of it then.

Yes, it is possible to share memory files only. All you need to do is to assign these memories to your object.
I'm thinking of adding a special object for this tutorial, so you don't need to re-assign every memory once I upload the updated version of mine
Test Subject
#11 Old 19th Jun 2014 at 12:57 AM Last edited by Agausia95 : 19th Jun 2014 at 1:42 AM.
THANK YOU! In this moment I try to make polish translation of Your memories. So... lets test it ;D

Edit: So, my translation works .

But my new memory not It's on list:

but when I choose it, this won't add to my sim memories

And I got one question for You DiLight , can you add Polish Translation ? I can put It into a .rar, and send to You.

Sorry for my English , I belive You're understand
Instructor
#12 Old 19th Jun 2014 at 1:41 AM
Alright, pretty in-depth. I will try this out and share my results this weekend. I think I'll tackle the first crush/love ones first, then move on to make the BFF and multiple babies ones. Although I might wait for that special object that lets other user had my memories if other users show interest.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#13 Old 19th Jun 2014 at 2:09 AM
@Agausia95, let me see your package
Sure, I will add your Polish translation with the next upload, that would be great!
Test Subject
#14 Old 19th Jun 2014 at 10:58 AM
@DiLight I sent you a PM
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#15 Old 19th Jun 2014 at 12:53 PM
@Agausia95, in the Add Memory - Pierwsza Roslina BHAV, your GUID is wrong. You forgot to divide it in pairs before reversing: your GUID is 00861300, divide it: 00-86-13-00, then reverse: 00-13-86-00, 00138600, instead of 00683100 in your Create New Object Instance (step #21-22)

By the way, I've made very similar memory for my update - "Found a Hobby - Gardening"
Test Subject
#16 Old 19th Jun 2014 at 12:57 PM
Thank You very much! I made a two new memories and they works ;D

And the icons needn't 40x44. In my memories they are 30x30
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#17 Old 19th Jun 2014 at 1:05 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Agausia95
Thank You very much! I made a two new memories and they works ;D

Yaaay congrats!
And the icons needn't 40x44. In my memories they are 30x30

I just used standard EAxis size
Theorist
#18 Old 19th Jun 2014 at 3:32 PM Last edited by DJ. : 19th Jul 2017 at 7:28 PM. Reason: fixed pic links
I made it!

My imagination and creativity levels are way below zero at the moment. But I just wanted to make my first memory, and... here it is!

I'm so thankful for your mod. Props!

ETA: Ooh, and a question. Is it possible to make bundles of memories in a single package file? For example, "vacation related," containing three random memories. Would it be too much of a hussle? If so, I'd rather stick with this method, as I find it quite simple... it just takes practice.
Screenshots
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#19 Old 19th Jun 2014 at 4:23 PM
I made it! :D

Congrats! Nice one
Is it possible to make bundles of memories in a single package file? For example, "vacation related," containing three random memories. Would it be too much of a hussle? If so, I'd rather stick with this method, as I find it quite simple... it just takes practice.

I'm not sure if it's possible, you can always group your memories creating subfolders
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#20 Old 19th Jun 2014 at 6:45 PM
@Agausia95, @DJ., will you try to modify the new object to see how difficult it is for you?
Test Subject
#21 Old 19th Jun 2014 at 7:53 PM Last edited by Agausia95 : 19th Jun 2014 at 8:03 PM.
So...I don't understand what is it and how to use it
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#22 Old 19th Jun 2014 at 8:49 PM
So...I don't understand what is it and how to use it

@Agausia95, it's just another object to link your memories. You can use it instead of using my Tattered Diary.
Just download it (first post) and open it in step 17, then go through steps 20-26.
In step 20, click on existing BHAV "Add Memory - Template"
In steps 23 and 24 don't click Add, just change the "Template" line
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#23 Old 19th Jun 2014 at 10:33 PM
What do You think about it?

Whoa, you've made a lot of memories here
If I were you, I would adjust the icons so they all would be the same size.
Personally, I don't like this much memories, but a lot of yours are on my next-upload-list, such as fit/fat and majors.
Anyway, good for you! Nice results I think
Theorist
#24 Old 20th Jun 2014 at 9:22 AM
Making memories with the Picked! memory manager is also easy. First I created the memory using the template package. Modifying the manager is only different when it comes to assigning the first memory. (There are less steps to be taken - instead of cloning the "Template" BHAV, simply rename the BHAV to the memory's name, and don't change the instance. Under STR#, rename "Template" to the willing pie menu title; don't add anything. And tick corresponding age groups under TTABs; again, without adding anything.) Once the first memory's added, everything's the same as in TD.

Both of the memory managers are easy to handle... at least for me. But, for those who have issues finding their preferred one, which memory manager would you recommend them to get?
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#25 Old 20th Jun 2014 at 2:55 PM
@DJ., thanks for testing!
Both of the memory managers are easy to handle... at least for me. But, for those who have issues finding their preferred one, which memory manager would you recommend them to get?

I'm 100% sure that this tutorial will no longer use my Tattered Diary. The reason is - in my uploads I add new memories using the same instances as you. You will need to re-assign every single memory I upload to match your (already modified) Tattered Diary. This object was created so you could have both memory managers without conflicts and duplicates. I need to re-write the whole tutorial for beginner level, so people don't get confused, adding first memory. I appreciate your feedback, thanks!
Page 1 of 4