Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 29th May 2021 at 10:20 PM Last edited by BartekStu : 19th Aug 2021 at 12:43 PM.
Food Overhaul (Ingredient System) - Open Beta - Feedback Wanted - Updated 06/06/21

Newest Version: The Fruit and Veg Update
New Features:
• New gameplay for the Vegetarian Trait from the trait project. Sims with the Vegetarian trait will have dish options with unsafe ingredients for them disabled or removed from the fridge entirely (tuneable). You can define which ingredients are unsafe in a BCON so that you may have pescatarian or vegan Sims if you desire (but you cannot have several different varieties at once). All of this is disabled by default - if you want to turn on vegetarian features, tune the BCON. Vegetarian Sims can still be directed to make non-vegetarian dishes using the "Make..." menus, and still require ingredients for them.
(Note that there is no behaviour to restrict vegetarian Sims from eating non-vegetarian foods. This will be coming in a separate plug-in I will make for people who want vegetarianism but don't want my Food Overhaul. There is also not very many vegetarian foods in vanilla Sims 2 - keep that in mind).
• Sims with the vegetarian trait will not autonomously cook foods which contain ingredients marked as inappropriate for them. Sims will also not attempt to autonomously cook foods they do not have the ingredients for.
• Foods which are in the system but have no ingredients marked as required will no longer show up in the Debugger menu. A small change, but it bugged me.
• Added support for custom harvestables! You can now safely have custom harvestables installed along with the Food Overhaul without any unpredictable behaviour as the mod uses a new method of determining which harvestables are ingredients. Turning custom harvestables into ingredients may be possible in the near future!
• Because of the above change, the Seasons 'Stock' with harvestables interaction was brought back (as not having it made custom harvestables a bit redundant). You cannot stock the fridge with harvestables if your Sim has any ingredients in their inventory.
• New quality of life Debugger features - check them out in 'Tuning' below.
• As there was a conflict, the mod now comes with a version of Nopke's Dessert Lighting Fix . Big thanks to Nopke for providing permission! If you had Nopke's fix, you need to uninstall it.
• Previous additions from 1.0.2.
To Install:
Returning Users: Delete your old 'Ingredients' folder, your 'CORE', 'Debugger' and 'FoodScripting' files and replace them with the latest versions from the .rar. You need not replace the other old files. Alternatively, you can delete everything and reinstall.
If you have added new ingredients, ensure that you port over the CORE and Debugger-wise changes.
New Users: Follow the instructions under "Installation/Uninstall".

There is now an alternate version available also. Download it if you're playing in a non-English language version and experience string errors!

Additionally, there is also a survey you can take which will give me your feedback and thoughts on the mod so far. Please consider filling it out if you have the time!

Food Overhaul BETA 1.0.3
Purpose of Thread:
This post aims to provide for the beta testing of, and receive feedback and criticism for, this mod, the Food Overhaul.
As the coding involved is fairly complex, and this is my first published mod of this size, I want to consolidate any bugs or strange behaviour into one thread.
Furthermore, owing to how customizable the components of the mod are by design, I want to receive feedback from users about how easy/difficult they find making adjustments of their own to this system before I continue developing additional features to this mod to save me from having to return and modify its core after substantial progress. I will also consider any other suggestions made.

Base Features:
• An extensive meal/ingredient system. Meals require a combination of food points and ingredients to be present in the fridge and the Sim's inventory respectively to be preparable. During preparation, ingredients are subtracted from the Sim's inventory, fridge, or both. If there are insufficient ingredients, the pie menu for the food will be grayed out as shown.
• User tunability: Ingredient recipes can be modified by the user to a high degree of flexibility. Support exists to handle custom added ingredients by the user. Foods can be added and removed from the system.
• If your Sim fails to find ingredients at the start of the cooking animation, meaning that their inventory/fridge got cleared, they will perform the 'fridge is empty' animation. This will also occur if you direct them to "Make"/"Make Many" and they lack the sufficient ingredients.
Meals do not need to require ingredients - if the food is not in the system, it will display Maxis behaviour, and if it is in the system but no ingredients are set for it, it will always be preparable.
• The Ingredient Overhaul will only process on residential, dorm, and apartment lots. Users can choose whether playables on vacation need to worry about ingredients. NPCs and Sims not in the active household are not restricted by the system.
• 8 new custom ingredients with their own GUIDs, along 16 Seasons produce and fish adapted into system-compatible ingredients for a total of 24 ingredients at launch. Seasons produce and fish all given prices and catalogue descriptions to those missing them.
All ingredients are available to buy via the Debugger, or via the collection file included.
• Seasons 'Stock Fridge' with harvestables interaction is nuked to accommodate the new system. This means that Sims can no longer put harvested foods or fish in the fridge the 'Seasons' way. (Reverted as of Fruit + Veg Update) Food recipes that REQUIRE harvestables keep their sparkles and filling effect.
• Seasons special fish foods are always available in the fridge menu (barring Cooking skill requirement). However if you lack the ingredients for them, they will be grayed out. All other foods with 'special conditions' keep their conditions in addition to the ones imposed by this mod.
• Sims can transfer ingredients in their inventories to the fridge (currently not animated). Sims can also check fridges to see the number of ingredients inside.

Presenting... the Debugger

Features:
• Purchase ingredients by recipe or individually and add them to your Sim's inventory.
• Create a shopping list which will stock the fridge (at a cost) with your chosen ingredients at a time of your choosing every day. Available on home lots only. You may have one shopping list per family.
• Clear out your fridge or subtract ingredients from it one-by-one.
• No intersection flags - bury it somewhere out of sight, or use it as you would the Maxis fruit bowl.
DEBUG Features: (testingcheats=true+Shift+Click)
Find and destroy OOW ingredients: If any errors occur, it is recommended you run this to destroy any stray ingredients. Outputs a message when done.
Reset All Food Menus: Use this if you experience any foods being grayed out inappropriately/foods getting getting stuck as 'unavailable'. Outputs a message when done.
Force Error on Food Controller: For generating an error log for me to inspect, if you experience bugs.
Remove All Ingredients (Skip Checks): Removes all ingredients from the "fridge" (controller), skipping checks. Will prompt for confirmation if tuned to do so.
Disable Grocery Auto-Shop: Disables the controller from buying the contents of the grocery list automatically. (Side note - Would people prefer this option to NOT be in the Debug menu?)
Give Me Vegetarian Trait: If you have the vegetarian trait from the trait project installed, it will give one to your Sim. Requires vegetarian features to be enabled in your CORE file.

You can find it under General/Misc. where most debuggers find their home.

Installation/Uninstall
To install, ensure the files labelled "FoodOverhaul-Controller", "FoodOverhaul-CORE", "Food-Overhaul-Debugger" and "FoodOverhaul-FoodScripting" along with the Ingredients folder are all in your Downloads folder. The mod will malfunction if you are missing components.
To install the optional collection file of ingredients, place the file labelled 'Collection' in your 'Collections' folder.
To uninstall, simply remove all components from your Downloads folder. The system does not come with any modded food and is safe to uninstall.
IMPORTANT: Do not use the in-game delete buttons on any of the ingredients. Doing so may damage your core files.

Conflicts
As this mod is pretty extensive, it is bound to conflict with any other mods that modify fridge/food behaviour to a similar extent. Please let me know of any conflicts you find and I will include them under this heading. Mods which also modify Seasons harvestables may conflict. I recommend always running HCDU after adding a new mod.
- Known Conflict: Low Food Warning Dialogue by twojeffs. There are no plans at this time to make this mod compatible. Conflict is harmless but unresolvable. (STR# Conflict)
- Known Conflict: Nopke's Glowing Dessert Fix. The mod is included in versions 1.0.3 and higher. Remove Nopke's fix if you have the Food Overhaul. (BHAV Instance Conflict)
- Known Conflict: LazyDuchess' Leftovers Mod. The conflict is resolvable if my mod loads after hers. (STR# Conflict)
- Known Conflict: Neosimi's Chopstick Default, but only for the 'Ramen On Stovetop' part. The conflict is resolvable if you download the '+Chopsticks' version and load it after the default.

Game Compatibility:
Requires Seasons, OFB, K&B Stuff, AL. The K&B requirement is subject to change.

Optional Add-Ons:
• The Collection file is not a required part of the download so long as you have the ingredients, but you will not be able to obtain them from the catalogue.
• A mod that makes Ramen preparable on stove-tops. An alternative version that does the same and has Sim using chopsticks to eat it.
• Comes with an override that makes the fruit less freakishly sized!! To uninstall, open "BartekStu-SeasonsHarvestables&FishIngredients" with SimPE and delete all the GMDC resources inside.
• The Debugger is technically optional but I don't see why you would opt not to have it, as it makes purchasing ingredients far less tedious. It also comes with a number of
features useful during beta testing.
This mod at Leefish will remove the special sparkle from Seasons food. Compatible with the Food Overhaul.
Attached files:
File Type: rar  RamenOnStovetopMod+Chopsticks.rar (272 Bytes, 397 downloads)
Description: a mod that allows ramen to be prepared on cooktops, and makes it so that Sims eat it using chopsticks. requires BV.
File Type: rar  FoodOverhaul-BETA-1.0.3-Fru&VegUpdate-ALTERNATE.rar (298.7 KB, 151 downloads)
Description: alternate version of the fruit & veg update of the food overhaul mod - if you play a non-English game and experience string errors, try this version
File Type: rar  FoodOverhaul-BETA-1.0.3-Fru&VegUpdate.rar (299.1 KB, 677 downloads)
Description: fruit & veg update of the food overhaul mod
File Type: rar  RamenOnStovetopMod.rar (261 Bytes, 173 downloads)
Description: a mod that allows ramen to be prepared on cooktops. Needs University, otherwise it's pointless.
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#2 Old 29th May 2021 at 10:21 PM Last edited by BartekStu : 6th Jun 2021 at 4:14 PM.
Default User Editing Instructions
Please note that this mod is still in beta. While I make every effort to ensure that your user settings can be ported over between versions, there may be rare updates where that will be impossible. Thank you for your understanding!

Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#3 Old 29th May 2021 at 10:21 PM Last edited by BartekStu : 6th Jun 2021 at 8:58 PM.
Default Default Recipe List
The recipes here were inspired partly by the ones from Sims 3 - I consider them fairly balanced. Recipes for group meals and single meals are identical. Some ingredients see much less use than others, which I may improve on in a future food set. All recipes below also require food points, as they do in an unmodded game.

Some recipes may end up being cheaper to make at home than at a restaurant, and vice versa.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#4 Old 29th May 2021 at 10:23 PM Last edited by BartekStu : 6th Jun 2021 at 4:01 PM.
Default Current Known Issues, Bugs
Bug 1: "I am getting a 'Missing Action String in table.' error whenever I try to use features of the mod."
Solution: If you are playing on a language version other than English, I would recommend downloading the alternate version if you haven't. If the issue persists, please alert me on this thread, MTS, tumblr, or similar.

Known Issue 1: Because of how cheap some ingredients are, they may occasionally behave oddly within the pricing/restock system e.g. Cheese 'Average' pricing being flagged as 'Cheap'. I believe that this is EAxian functionality however, and reworking it is not my priority.
Known Issue 2: There is a conflict between the Business Update and simler90's Business Mod version 38.
Solution: Please replace your "SeasonsHarvestables&Fish" file in the ingredients folder with the newest version!
Alchemist
#5 Old 1st Jun 2021 at 2:22 AM
This is something I've wanted for a long time. I'll definitely test it asap.
Alchemist
#6 Old 13th Jun 2021 at 5:31 PM
I just wanted to report that the mod's working wonderfully so far.
Test Subject
#7 Old 13th Jun 2021 at 6:19 PM
Hi! First of all, thank you so much for this mod; it's amazing and I absolutely loved the concept in the Sims 3 so I'm really happy to have it in the Sims 2 now! (Actually, just thank you in general for all your mods, they're amazing)

While everything else works fine for me, for some reason the collection won't show in my game, neither on Residential nor on Community Lots. I've redownloaded the file and tried again but it didn't help; do you or does anyone else know what the cause could be? (I did put it into the right folder)

Thank you very much in advance!
-Dia
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#8 Old 13th Jun 2021 at 6:49 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Mel120
Hi! First of all, thank you so much for this mod; it's amazing and I absolutely loved the concept in the Sims 3 so I'm really happy to have it in the Sims 2 now! (Actually, just thank you in general for all your mods, they're amazing)

While everything else works fine for me, for some reason the collection won't show in my game, neither on Residential nor on Community Lots. I've redownloaded the file and tried again but it didn't help; do you or does anyone else know what the cause could be? (I did put it into the right folder)

Thank you very much in advance!
-Dia

Howdy! Is it possible that when you're browsing collections, the collection with the ingredients is at the very end of the collections tab? To my knowledge, there isn't anything that would inhibit the collection from showing up once it is in your 'Collections' folder. The collection should also be marked for residential and community collections. The icon of the collection is the Maxis icon of the plate and utensils, if that helps finding it - the small icons do make things tricky to track down!

Thank you for your kind words and feedback - do let me know about any developments!
Test Subject
#9 Old 13th Jun 2021 at 9:13 PM
Quote: Originally posted by BartekStu
Howdy! Is it possible that when you're browsing collections, the collection with the ingredients is at the very end of the collections tab? To my knowledge, there isn't anything that would inhibit the collection from showing up once it is in your 'Collections' folder. The collection should also be marked for residential and community collections. The icon of the collection is the Maxis icon of the plate and utensils, if that helps finding it - the small icons do make things tricky to track down!

Thank you for your kind words and feedback - do let me know about any developments!

Thank you for the reply! I tried looking through all the collections again afterwards, but it's not in my game. I don't know why
I did find a collection with plates and utensils, but it was only a game collection that contained objects for building a restaurant and it was the only time I saw this icon.

Thank you for your help!
Screenshots
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#10 Old 13th Jun 2021 at 10:14 PM Last edited by BartekStu : 13th Jun 2021 at 10:27 PM.
Thank you for the reply! I tried looking through all the collections again afterwards, but it's not in my game. I don't know why
I did find a collection with plates and utensils, but it was only a game collection that contained objects for building a restaurant and it was the only time I saw this icon.

Thank you for your help!

In turn thank you for your patience! I just tested things in my own game - I downloaded the collections.package from the non-alternate 1.0.3 version - it seems I was mistaken and the collection file is in fact residential only, and not community and residential! I must've set it this way originally, before the ingredients were purchasable on business lots. Does the collection appear for you on residential lots?

The objects are currently flagged to only be purchasable on residential/business lots also, so editing your own collection to make it appear on community lots will only allow you to buy the custom ingredients (excluding salmon) and none of the harvestables, anyway. This is kind of by design at the minute, to enforce the Maxis requirements of having to grow/fish harvestables to sell them.

Because of the above, that is, ingredients currently being flagged as residential only, and the way collections work it's not a change I can make in a short while, so you may expect to see the collection available on community lots in the 1.0.4 update! :D

EDIT: Oh, and that's just a standard Maxis collection, nothing fishy there!
Test Subject
#11 Old 14th Jun 2021 at 9:02 PM Last edited by Mel120 : 16th Jun 2021 at 6:54 PM.
In turn thank you for your patience! I just tested things in my own game - I downloaded the collections.package from the non-alternate 1.0.3 version - it seems I was mistaken and the collection file is in fact residential only, and not community and residential! I must've set it this way originally, before the ingredients were purchasable on business lots. Does the collection appear for you on residential lots?

The objects are currently flagged to only be purchasable on residential/business lots also, so editing your own collection to make it appear on community lots will only allow you to buy the custom ingredients (excluding salmon) and none of the harvestables, anyway. This is kind of by design at the minute, to enforce the Maxis requirements of having to grow/fish harvestables to sell them.

Because of the above, that is, ingredients currently being flagged as residential only, and the way collections work it's not a change I can make in a short while, so you may expect to see the collection available on community lots in the 1.0.4 update! :D

EDIT: Oh, and that's just a standard Maxis collection, nothing fishy there!

Hello again! Thank you for checking in your game; I went through all the collections in residential again but it didn't show up (there's no other collection with plates and utensils either)
It's strange though because everything else in the mod works fine?? I honestly feel like I'm just doing something wrong, it's weird.
The fact about the residential restrictions for Maxis harvestables is really interesting; it's cool to know that it can be changed too!

Again thank you for your support! I'll try redownloading again and renaming the file now. Who knows, maybe it'll work all of a sudden? Sometimes Sims 2 is just finicky

edit: just fixed a typo
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#12 Old 15th Jun 2021 at 4:18 PM
Hello again! Thank you for checking in your game; I went through all the collections in residential again but it didn't show up (there's no other collection with plates and utensils either)
It's strange though because everyone else in the mod works fine?? I honestly feel like I'm just doing something wrong, it's weird.
The fact about the residential restrictions for Maxis harvestables is really interesting; it's cool to know that it can be changed too!

Again thank you for your support! I'll try redownloading again and renaming the file now. Who knows, maybe it'll work all of a sudden? Sometimes Sims 2 is just finicky

How very odd! I'm honestly stumped - I'm not familiar with anything that could be causing this, unless collections can conflict the way objects can.

One test you could do is rename your user The Sims 2 folder (the one where you put mods and such, not the core game files), boot up the game and allow it to create a clean save for you, then try out the mod and collection there and see if it works? Then once you're done delete the new Sims 2 save file and revert to your old one.

Are you missing any EPs or SPs by any chance?
Test Subject
#13 Old 16th Jun 2021 at 10:40 AM
How very odd! I'm honestly stumped - I'm not familiar with anything that could be causing this, unless collections can conflict the way objects can.

One test you could do is rename your user The Sims 2 folder (the one where you put mods and such, not the core game files), boot up the game and allow it to create a clean save for you, then try out the mod and collection there and see if it works? Then once you're done delete the new Sims 2 save file and revert to your old one.

Yes, it's just really confusing! I'll follow your advice with the new folder today and tell you the results afterwards
And no, I don't think I'm missing any packs? I have the Ultimate Collection so I should have all of them.
Again, thank you for the help! At this point I'm just really curious what the reason is..
Test Subject
#14 Old 16th Jun 2021 at 6:09 PM

Okay, I'm back! I tried following your advice but it still didn't show up. So there's apparently no conflict, but for some reason it's not there.. Sorry for all the trouble! I really don't know what the problem is... Is there a difference between the collection file for your Non-English and English download? If there is, I'll try using the Non-English one
Test Subject
#15 Old 16th Jun 2021 at 8:47 PM
Thank you for this mod. Nice idea.
It's OK in the game.
But there is the same problems with collection. I use non-English version.
I can't prepare the ramen too.
Test Subject
#16 Old 16th Jun 2021 at 11:37 PM
Quote: Originally posted by micka
It's OK in the game.

Oh, interesting! So you're having trouble with the collection too?
In case this is relevant, I am using the English version of the game and the mod, but my PC's location is set to Germany. I have no clue how that would be important but who knows..
I haven't checked the ramen issue yet, I'll try it tomorrow
Lab Assistant
#17 Old 20th Jun 2021 at 6:20 AM
Hi, there is no mention about Sun and Moon harvestables anymore in conflicts or known bugs list. Does this mean that the mod is now compatible with them? Thanks!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#18 Old 20th Jun 2021 at 7:13 PM
Quote: Originally posted by micka
It's OK in the game.

Oh, interesting! So you're having trouble with the collection too?
In case this is relevant, I am using the English version of the game and the mod, but my PC's location is set to Germany. I have no clue how that would be important but who knows..
I haven't checked the ramen issue yet, I'll try it tomorrow

I will keep looking into this - if a solution comes up, I will let you know, or if you find something else on your end, let me know also!

Quote: Originally posted by karlakoo
Hi, there is no mention about Sun and Moon harvestables anymore in conflicts or known bugs list. Does this mean that the mod is now compatible with them? Thanks!

Hi! As of the Fruit & Veg Update it is possible to have custom harvestables installed adjacent to the Food Overhaul - this should include the Sun and Moon harvestables. The fridge will only be able to be stocked with harvestables if you have no ingredients in your inventory. Please let me know if you notice any unexpected behaviour!
Test Subject
#19 Old 23rd Jun 2021 at 10:11 AM Last edited by Mel120 : 25th Jun 2021 at 10:11 PM.
Quote:
I will keep looking into this - if a solution comes up, I will let you know, or if you find something else on your end, let me know also!

Again, thank you for your help! And yes, if anything new happens or I find something out, I'll let you know
Lab Assistant
#20 Old 2nd Jul 2021 at 7:49 PM
This mod looks absolutely amazing and I've wanted foods that require ingredients FOREVER; so Thank you! Forgive me if I'm asking a painfully obvious question, but would this mean that, once you feel the mod is ready, I could make custom foods, anything I wanted to dream up and then just add my own custom ingredients as requirements in SimPE? this is incredibly exciting.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#21 Old 2nd Jul 2021 at 8:51 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Mortia
This mod looks absolutely amazing and I've wanted foods that require ingredients FOREVER; so Thank you! Forgive me if I'm asking a painfully obvious question, but would this mean that, once you feel the mod is ready, I could make custom foods, anything I wanted to dream up and then just add my own custom ingredients as requirements in SimPE? this is incredibly exciting.

Hiya! Put shortly, yes! Since it is already possible to create custom foods in an unmodded game I always wanted to make sure that the system was designed to accommodate them. It is possible to add custom foods to the system and add ingredient requirements to them relatively easily - adding custom ingredients is also possible in this point in time, but it's a bit tedious and clunky - I would like the process to be more streamlined and less repetitive in the full release.

I'm happy to hear you're looking forward to the mod!
Test Subject
#22 Old 11th Jul 2021 at 5:40 PM
Hello again!

Sorry for all my messages on here, but I found something interesting today. While I was looking for some fancy OMSPs to put in my game, I saw that a creator here on modthesims had a similar issue with their collection: the OMSP collection file wasnt showing up for some players.
Apparently it was caused by not having Apartment Life, which is strange since I have the UC. Their mod is also from back in 2009, so no clue if this even means anything. This is the page .

I don't know if this comment helps in any way; just thought I'd let you know since I happened to find it and I'm still curious where the collection issue stems from. I've been really enjoying your mod without the collection as well though, so feel free to ignore my message since I spammed so much.

Thank you again for all the effort you put into this mod, have a nice day!
-Dia
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#23 Old 15th Jul 2021 at 8:45 PM
Hello again!

Sorry for all my messages on here, but I found something interesting today. While I was looking for some fancy OMSPs to put in my game, I saw that a creator here on modthesims had a similar issue with their collection: the OMSP collection file wasnt showing up for some players.
Apparently it was caused by not having Apartment Life, which is strange since I have the UC. Their mod is also from back in 2009, so no clue if this even means anything. This is the page .

I don't know if this comment helps in any way; just thought I'd let you know since I happened to find it and I'm still curious where the collection issue stems from. I've been really enjoying your mod without the collection as well though, so feel free to ignore my message since I spammed so much.

Thank you again for all the effort you put into this mod, have a nice day!
-Dia

Howdy! No worries at all about the messages, that's what this thread is for!

That might be a crucial piece of info, actually - I'll look into making some collection files in various game environments, which I'll share with you to see if that might resolve the issue. Things have gotten pretty busy on my end irl, so it might be a few weeks, but fingers crossed that it sheds some light in the issue
Test Subject
#24 Old 23rd Oct 2021 at 7:41 PM
Thank you BartekStu for making this mod.
Lab Assistant
#25 Old 25th Oct 2021 at 9:06 PM
I've been out of the TS2 loop for a few months but this was one of the mods I was following closely before I had to go on hiatus. Would you say it's finished with beta and good to use in games now for the most part? Thank you!
Page 1 of 3