Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 5th Dec 2021 at 8:10 AM
Default LN Suspension Bridge - Cars can drive but sims can't walk and get stuck
Hi
The title says it all :D. I really don't know what I'm doing wrong. The retaining walls don't touch the bridge, there's a thin gap between them.
I tried teleporting a sim on the bridge, and command them to walk to the other side of the bridge, they got stuck.
And when I try to get them near the bridge and command them to walk over the bridge, they can't find a way.

This is how the routing looks in create-a-world:

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Screenshots
Advertisement
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#2 Old 5th Dec 2021 at 9:08 AM
Do you have harbour walls or something like that along the bank under the bridge? I can see red rectangles there on your second image, and they look as though they are overlapping where the pedestrian routing for the bridge is. Try moving them back and rebuilding the routing, just to test if that's the problem.
Top Secret Researcher
#3 Old 5th Dec 2021 at 3:13 PM
Also, how does the other end of the bridge look like? Sometimes the routing failure doesn't happen where they stomp their feet but somewhere along the calculated path to their destination.
Mad Poster
#4 Old 5th Dec 2021 at 3:56 PM
Whoa, I have really missed the boat on this. Are Sims really supposed to walk on bridges generally? I have only seen Sims on a bridge one time. In one world Sims did go onto that one and were getting stuck. There were no retaining walls,or anything. It was just a bridge across water with land on each side. I replaced that bridge with another one and never had the problem again.
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#5 Old 5th Dec 2021 at 6:03 PM
Yes, they should be able to; I always found bridges really problematic when world building as for some reason the pedestrian splines aren't shown on the route map so it's difficult to see if things beneath the bridge are affecting routing or not. Even after hours of testing, when I'd finally think I had it sorted, I would find a horse walking on the water or a person stuck half way.
Mad Poster
#6 Old 6th Dec 2021 at 2:07 AM
Quote: Originally posted by simsample
Yes, they should be able to; I always found bridges really problematic when world building as for some reason the pedestrian splines aren't shown on the route map so it's difficult to see if things beneath the bridge are affecting routing or not. Even after hours of testing, when I'd finally think I had it sorted, I would find a horse walking on the water or a person stuck half way.

If they are a problem for you then I am not going to even try to make mine pedestrian friendly. I do very tight routing in worlds so have probably closed access to the bridges in all of my worlds other than that one not knowing it. I check to make sure they are fine for vehicles but never tried to make sure they have access for anyone else.

Thank you for the info.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#7 Old 6th Dec 2021 at 4:08 AM
Thanks for the replies, everyone. I tried to move the seawalls away from the bridge, but it didn't make any difference. Still my sims can't pass the bridge by walking or even get close to bridge's start.
I attached the CAW screenshots, both start and end points.
Hope I don't lose my mind because of this bridge, I spent almost 3 years to build this city :D
Screenshots
Top Secret Researcher
#8 Old 6th Dec 2021 at 7:45 AM
Have you tried to replace the bridge? Sometimes that helps.
Did you apply non-routing paint?
I can't see anything suspicious on either end of the bridge. The only thought I had is that you have extremely steep terrain which may or may not interfere. I found that if Sims can walk the path without the bridge there is usually no problem after placing the bridge, if the roads are properly connected which it looks like here.
Mad Poster
#9 Old 6th Dec 2021 at 8:46 AM
I had to replace that one bridge in that world as kept getting stuck Sims. I have to ask, if Sims cannot access they cannot get stuck there, correct? Why is there a need for Sims to walk across the bridge? Why is that a must have? I do not think Sims walk the bridges in the worlds I do as the routing I do seems to prevent them. Is there some reason Sims cannot just use vehicles? I have no issues in the worlds I do due to a lack of the ability to cross bridges on foot.
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#10 Old 6th Dec 2021 at 9:30 AM
Quote: Originally posted by wasset-aseskara
Thanks for the replies, everyone. I tried to move the seawalls away from the bridge, but it didn't make any difference. Still my sims can't pass the bridge by walking or even get close to bridge's start.
I attached the CAW screenshots, both start and end points.
Hope I don't lose my mind because of this bridge, I spent almost 3 years to build this city :D

Take a look at this thread; we got it working for someone else who was having issues. Maybe something there might help?
https://modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=466721
Check that the whole length of the bridge is free and that the routing spline is not intersected by anything.

Quote: Originally posted by daisylee
Why is there a need for Sims to walk across the bridge? Why is that a must have? I do not think Sims walk the bridges in the worlds I do as the routing I do seems to prevent them. Is there some reason Sims cannot just use vehicles? I have no issues in the worlds I do due to a lack of the ability to cross bridges on foot.

Maybe not the way you play, but if you want to share it's always best I think if you can get it working, as it reduces the chance of having lag by animals and pedestrians getting stuck. Some players might not know to check bridges if they are experiencing lag, and not all players use mods like overwatch that reset stuck sims.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#11 Old 6th Dec 2021 at 1:07 PM
Quote: Originally posted by simsample
Take a look at this thread; we got it working for someone else who was having issues. Maybe something there might help?
https://modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=466721
Check that the whole length of the bridge is free and that the routing spline is not intersected by anything.

I already read this thread, sadly nothing worked for me The blue line is not broken by anything, but I suspect those curved retaining walls located at the bridge entrance/exit.

Quote: Originally posted by daisylee
I have to ask, if Sims cannot access they cannot get stuck there, correct? Why is there a need for Sims to walk across the bridge? Why is that a must have? I do not think Sims walk the bridges in the worlds I do as the routing I do seems to prevent them. Is there some reason Sims cannot just use vehicles? I have no issues in the worlds I do due to a lack of the ability to cross bridges on foot.

While exporting and play-testing the world, I noticed three non-controlled sims were standing in the middle of the bridge and stomping their feet. I'm almost sure this will cause lag, so I have to fix it.
Mad Poster
#12 Old 6th Dec 2021 at 3:07 PM
AHA, so some Sims can get on it. So yes, that can cause problems. I was getting nonstop notices on that one problem one I had.
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#13 Old 6th Dec 2021 at 5:17 PM
Quote: Originally posted by wasset-aseskara
The blue line is not broken by anything, but I suspect those curved retaining walls located at the bridge entrance/exit.

Yes, the next steps I'd take would be to remove everything that makes a red box in the vicinity of the bridge, and test without those. If you backup first then you could remove everything to identify the problem. Then restore the backup and you'll know what to do to make it work.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#14 Old 9th Dec 2021 at 6:38 AM
Removing the retaining walls didn't work either. Could this issue be placement-related? I took a look at Bridgeport's world files, the slope at the ends of the bridge is located below the terrain. (Not talking about the retaining wall ramp, I mean the little slopes already part of the bridge)
When I don't bury the slopes below, I noticed sims can't use the interaction 'go here' on slopes. When I bury them like in Bridgeport, everything looks fine, but they ignore my command by stomping their feet.
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#15 Old 9th Dec 2021 at 10:13 AM
Could be; I've never made a world using this bridge, but the bridges I have used were very difficult to place, and terrain geometry, depth and routing affected the bridge too. I think you'd just have to experiment to see what works and what doesn't, maybe someone who has used this bridge before could offer some tips?