Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 8th Aug 2024 at 10:29 PM Last edited by dontbebleakdahling : 9th Aug 2024 at 4:51 AM. Reason: Added more text
Default Very FIRST Sims Game
Did you know that there was a sims game…BEFORE the sims 1?

The Sims Steering Committee was an initial prototype of the game, released on June 4, 1998. I've read that this prototype was given to EA to greenlight the full production of the Sims - although, I'm unsure if that's 100% true.

It's fully playable! You can get it though this LINK

I've played it before and honestly found it quite interesting how good the simple demo of a game can be? Albeit there are issues, it's fun!
There are four scenarios in this version, which were never included in the main game. They're called 'The Accident', 'Girls Just Wanna Have Fun', 'The Kiss' & 'The Money Pit'. The scenarios take the player through what your sims are capable of...in the style of a interactive tutorial!

You even get to explore the first ever Sims neighbourhood! It's called Happy Acres. I wish we got Happy Acres in the main Sims game...I might re-create it for the sims 2 sometime.
There are many videos online & on youtube about the game if you search up 'The Sims Steering Committee', so here is the link to one → CLICK HERE

The Cutting Room Floor gives you more details about the demo. If you'd like to read more, click HERE

↓ IMAGES OF THE DEMO ↓

Side note: I hope i’m not breaking any MTS rules by sharing links Just trying to share something cool I came across

Thanks for reading

DONT! BE! BLEAK!
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#2 Old 11th Aug 2024 at 5:43 PM
Hey, @dontbebleakdahling; , thank you so much for bringing it up!

I'm the dork who wrote a good deal of the reference materials you've listed, and it's incredibly flattering that you've enjoyed it so much!

If you fancy knowing more, it's cool to mention that, down at the obscure and unlisted Sims 1 subforums, we've been discovering quite a few exciting things about How The Sims Was Made for over five years now (Click Here and be part of the (super long) discussion!)! Because of that, we've managed to capture (or perhaps cause) almost each and every single milestone in terms of figuring out and covering the different stages of production of the game — and it's hard to decide which one is the most interesting!

I like to loosely believe it is one of the many reasons why some of the Sims microniche is so wacky and eager about the bits and pieces of development stuff regarding the game these days.

You're welcome to join the lab

PIAZZI ROCKS
(so do you)
https://www.youtube.com/LUCPIX
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#3 Old 11th Aug 2024 at 9:01 PM
Quote: Originally posted by LUCPIX
Hey, @dontbebleakdahling; , thank you so much for bringing it up!

I'm the dork who wrote a good deal of the reference materials you've listed, and it's incredibly flattering that you've enjoyed it so much!

If you fancy knowing more, it's cool to mention that, down at the obscure and unlisted Sims 1 subforums, we've been discovering quite a few exciting things about How The Sims Was Made for over five years now (Click Here and be part of the (super long) discussion!)! Because of that, we've managed to capture (or perhaps cause) almost each and every single milestone in terms of figuring out and covering the different stages of production of the game — and it's hard to decide which one is the most interesting!

I like to loosely believe it is one of the many reasons why some of the Sims microniche is so wacky and eager about the bits and pieces of development stuff regarding the game these days.

You're welcome to join the lab

AHHH!!🙈 I’m honoured that you saw my post, and i’m honestly eager to read the thread you linked me!!

I’m so intrigued by the sims because there’s a timeline we could’ve got that building simulator Will Wright initially intended to be, but instead it became this masterpiece!

Thank you so much!

DONT! BE! BLEAK!
Lab Assistant
#4 Old 13th Aug 2024 at 6:19 PM
Quote: Originally posted by dontbebleakdahling
AHHH!!🙈 I’m honoured that you saw my post, and i’m honestly eager to read the thread you linked me!!

I’m so intrigued by the sims because there’s a timeline we could’ve got that building simulator Will Wright initially intended to be, but instead it became this masterpiece!

Thank you so much!

Neat!

Don't you think the game would end up getting a bit dull in case we were refrained from controling the tiny people that would allegedly rate our building skills, though?? Talk about our human control freak nature.

PIAZZI ROCKS
(so do you)
https://www.youtube.com/LUCPIX