Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Forum Resident
#11476 Old 16th Jul 2024 at 9:36 PM
Quote: Originally posted by simsample

I reinstated Rod Humble to my hood recently, I am feeling sorry for him since Life By You has been cancelled. I thought he could use a job!

To be honest, that seemed like money laundering.

Although if the project was really serious and they have really left them stranded, I feel very sorry.
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#11477 Old 16th Jul 2024 at 10:00 PM
Today I discovered that z_*.package will load after zz_*.package.

Use za_* instead:

Screenshots

I'm secretly a Bulbasaur. | Formerly known as ihatemandatoryregister

Looking for SimWardrobe's mods? | Or Dizzy's? | Faiuwle/rufio's too! | smorbie1's Chris Hatch archives
Instructor
#11478 Old 17th Jul 2024 at 1:59 AM
I was today years old when I learned the vanilla game already has nose rings.

Nice Rachel we're having.
My Simblr! Now actually working!
Mad Poster
#11479 Old 17th Jul 2024 at 4:06 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Bulbizarre
Today I discovered that z_*.package will load after zz_*.package.

Use za_* instead:

Just don't use the underscore. The underscore loads after all alphabetic characters.
Theorist
#11480 Old 17th Jul 2024 at 7:25 AM Last edited by topp : 17th Jul 2024 at 9:40 AM.
For anyone else wondering, here's the ASCII table which lists all symbols in a computer-alphabet order. Ignore the first table; it's the second table where the letters and numbers begin.

For example, if you were to name your mod files IN ALL CAPS, then the ZZ_ would load before Z_, because 0 < 9 < A < Z < _ < a < z (by the symbols' numerical values that the computers use, as the computers work with 0s and 1s only).

Which I just now realized happens exactly with the HCDU report... writing posts before the morning coffee is dangerous.

Maybe HCDU ignores capitalization? In any case, kestrellyn's trick seems to be the best solution: simply drop the _ symbols and name your mods zzFirst and zSecond.
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#11481 Old 17th Jul 2024 at 11:00 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Yvelotic2001
I was today years old when I learned the vanilla game already has nose rings.

The thumbnails make it very difficult to figure out which is which, I always end up with a gold eyebrow ring when I wanted a silver nose stud!
Mad Poster
#11482 Old 17th Jul 2024 at 11:49 AM
Gah yes - there is a workaround for this, a mod which has several different poses for the thumbnails for accessories, so you can do an extremely laborious process of loading the game and marking (on paper) the order of every piece of jewellery, then putting in each mod in turn and forcing the game to regenerate the relevant thumbnail (e.g. when you have the mod that uses the "left eyebrow close up" pose you regenerate only the left eyebrow piercings), and then quitting, changing out the mod and regenerating the relevant ones, repeat until done.

But who can be bothered with that. I wish there was a way to just have a completely custom thumbnail!

I use the sims as a psychology simulator...
Mad Poster
#11483 Old 17th Jul 2024 at 12:51 PM
Quote: Originally posted by topp
For anyone else wondering, here's the ASCII table which lists all symbols in a computer-alphabet order. Ignore the first table; it's the second table where the letters and numbers begin.

For example, if you were to name your mod files IN ALL CAPS, then the ZZ_ would load before Z_, because 0 < 9 < A < Z < _ < a < z (by the symbols' numerical values that the computers use, as the computers work with 0s and 1s only).

Which I just now realized happens exactly with the HCDU report... writing posts before the morning coffee is dangerous.

Maybe HCDU ignores capitalization? In any case, kestrellyn's trick seems to be the best solution: simply drop the _ symbols and name your mods zzFirst and zSecond.

This is no longer accurate, unfortunately. Files on Windows used to load and be listed using this ordering, but Windows has since changed the sort order to be more "natural", e.g. upper and lower case letters now have the same sort position, and names that contain numbers are also treated differently - before, "111" would be listed before "13" because the second character (1) in the first name comes before the second character (3) in the second, but now "13" loads first because 13 is a smaller number. This also applies to groups of numbers in a name that also contains letters, so "111something" will also load after "13something". Generally, I think if you sort your files by name in Windows Explorer, that should be the actual load order that the game will use. I would generally also avoid mixing different capitalization and numbers + letters so that load order is easier to predict.
Mad Poster
#11484 Old 17th Jul 2024 at 6:59 PM
Quote: Originally posted by kestrellyn
Generally, I think if you sort your files by name in Windows Explorer, that should be the actual load order that the game will use. I would generally also avoid mixing different capitalization and numbers + letters so that load order is easier to predict.

I was surprised specifically because z_*.package loaded before zz_*.package in Explorer but HCDU Plus showed opposite results. whoward confirmed that HCDU was correct.

I'm secretly a Bulbasaur. | Formerly known as ihatemandatoryregister

Looking for SimWardrobe's mods? | Or Dizzy's? | Faiuwle/rufio's too! | smorbie1's Chris Hatch archives
Instructor
#11485 Old 17th Jul 2024 at 11:52 PM
Puddles do this??
Screenshots
Forum Resident
#11486 Old 18th Jul 2024 at 4:39 PM
Quote: Originally posted by simsample
The thumbnails make it very difficult to figure out which is which, I always end up with a gold eyebrow ring when I wanted a silver nose stud!

I did it in reverse order since sometimes people have custom stuff at the beginning. Also once you get the right/left/silver/gold pattern, it's a little easier

I recently created a folder on my desktop with reference pics of things like jewelry, nail polish and tattoo overlays because I realized I rarely use them since it's so tedious to click through, save the appearance and then discover that's not the one you wanted. Now I use them all the time!

Screenshots
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#11487 Old 18th Jul 2024 at 5:02 PM
Quote: Originally posted by inspiredzone
I did it in reverse order since sometimes people have custom stuff at the beginning. Also once you get the right/left/silver/gold pattern, it's a little easier

Thank you for these images, will make things a lot easier!
Test Subject
#11488 Old Yesterday at 3:14 PM
I learned that toddlers can autonomously dance to music if the radio has been turned on
Page 460 of 460