Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Lab Assistant
#7351 Old 20th Sep 2026 at 7:31 AM
I had a go of an installer an it reinstalled the graphic drivers that got dropped so its back working again and I am never installing another update.
Lab Assistant
#7352 Old 20th Sep 2026 at 7:35 AM
Quote: Originally posted by AndrewGloria
I am going to have to have a second cancer operation in the next 6-8 weeks, which will restrict my other activities, so I reckon my Sims game will be more important for my wellbeing than ever.

Sorry to hear that, hope everything goes ok.
Forum Resident
#7353 Old 20th Sep 2026 at 11:37 AM
Quote:
I am going to have to have a second cancer operation in the next 6-8 weeks, which will restrict my other activities, so I reckon my Sims game will be more important for my wellbeing than ever.


Good luck with everything, hope the game runs well in your recovery!
Mad Poster
#7354 Old 20th Sep 2026 at 2:41 PM
Quote: Originally posted by AndrewGloria
I'm beginning to think my computer may be running out of virtual memory when I'm playing The Sims. My Veronaville neighbourhood, which I've been playing for nearly 14 years now, has grown really big, with three sub-hoods and over 550 living Sims. Even when compressed into a .zip file for a backup, it comes to 823 MB, so playing Veronaville must make heavy use of computing resources. (My first PC had no hard disk, only two 360KB floppy disk drives, and even when I added a 40MB hard disk, which was considered quite big at the time, it had to be divided into two partitions, because MS-DOS 3.3 -- the dominant PC operating system of the day -- could only access hard disks up to 32MB.) So, even when compressed into a backup zip file, my Veronaville would need to be split over 27 old-style hard disks to hold it! Currently my Dell computer has a 500 GB SSD (Solid State Disk) as its hard disk, and I'm wondering if I should replace it with a larger one. When getting that computer, some people here thought I should specify a larger hard disk, but there were limits to how much I could ask my mother to pay for a birthday present. My Dell also has 8MB RAM. That seems plenty, as the Sims 2 can only use 4MB even with the 4 MB patch (which I think I've got). But I usually have several other programs running (including Firefox with over 200 tabs open) so maybe I should consider upgrading that too. Any thoughts anyone?

I am going to have to have a second cancer operation in the next 6-8 weeks, which will restrict my other activities, so I reckon my Sims game will be more important for my wellbeing than ever.


How full is your hard disk? 823 MB isn't much for a 500 GB SSD to handle.

200 tabs? Noone needs that many tabs open at once! Tabs are a memory hog. They'll be slowing you to a crawl trying to process everything.

Hope your operation goes well and that you're healthy again soon!
Scholar
#7355 Old 20th Sep 2026 at 2:53 PM
[QUOTE=AndrewGloria I am going to have to have a second cancer operation in the next 6-8 weeks, which will restrict my other activities, so I reckon my Sims game will be more important for my wellbeing than ever.[/QUOTE]

Playing sims 2 helps to relief my stress, so I pray it helps you in your recovery. And I pray your surgery goes well.
Mad Poster
#7356 Old 20th Sep 2026 at 8:48 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Charity
Like what?


In this case, the locomotive in the train station I'm in the process of finishing up. I posted a pic of my proof-of-concept for it in the Random Pictures thread, but this is a project that I'm actually kinda disappointed by how it looks in "realistic angle" screenshots compared to how it looks from the typical 3/4 down view I think most players use... It's a cool art-deco-y, slightly-steampunk-y station in general, the locomotive is just part of it, but I don't feel like that comes across as well in the pictures as it does in-game.

Welcome to the Dark Side...
We lied about having cookies.
Forum Resident
#7357 Old 21st Sep 2026 at 12:05 AM
A pet peeve I was reminded of again today: How you can't just ignore or randomise aspiration and turn-ons/turn offs in CAS, but to finalise a sim you have to make those choices. I like making sims by making a couple of CAS parents and randomising a child that I like to be the actual sim I'll put in the neighbourhood, so that sim will have more interesting genetics - I'm sure plenty of simmers do this. The CAS parents never go anywhere, they get deleted before the household is finalised, so their aspirations and turn-ons/turn-offs don't matter, they're just annoying to pick out. Sure, I can make the same choices every time, but it still takes an annoying amount of time that I wish I could just skip.
Mad Poster
#7358 Old 21st Sep 2026 at 6:04 PM Last edited by Charity : 21st Sep 2026 at 7:33 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by Zarathustra
In this case, the locomotive in the train station I'm in the process of finishing up. I posted a pic of my proof-of-concept for it in the Random Pictures thread, but this is a project that I'm actually kinda disappointed by how it looks in "realistic angle" screenshots compared to how it looks from the typical 3/4 down view I think most players use... It's a cool art-deco-y, slightly-steampunk-y station in general, the locomotive is just part of it, but I don't feel like that comes across as well in the pictures as it does in-game.


It looked pretty good in the picture you showed us. Are screenshots from every angle required (has never uploaded a lot)?
Instructor
#7359 Old 21st Sep 2026 at 6:36 PM
I get annoyed when a group of sims gets stuck in a small hallway because then I need to pick each of their individual actions all over again. This happens especially in small houses.

In TS4 sims just walk through each other, but, then again, that solution is also lazy. Maxis should have made it so that sims don't lose their actions that you have assigned them to do.
Mad Poster
#7360 Old 21st Sep 2026 at 6:58 PM
Many thanks for all your messages of support.


Quote: Originally posted by Zarathustra
In this case, the locomotive in the train station I'm in the process of finishing up. I posted a pic of my proof-of-concept for it in the Random Pictures thread, but this is a project that I'm actually kinda disappointed by how it looks in "realistic angle" screenshots compared to how it looks from the typical 3/4 down view I think most players use... It's a cool art-deco-y, slightly-steampunk-y station in general, the locomotive is just part of it, but I don't feel like that comes across as well in the pictures as it does in-game.
As a one-time Scottish railwayman, I think almost all 20th century American steam locomotives look more than a bit steampunk-y, with bells, whistles, lamps, pumps, pipes and all sorts of what-have-you? bolted on all over them! Your one certainly looks the part!

Quote: Originally posted by AnMal
A pet peeve I was reminded of again today: How you can't just ignore or randomise aspiration and turn-ons/turn offs in CAS, but to finalise a sim you have to make those choices. I like making sims by making a couple of CAS parents and randomising a child that I like to be the actual sim I'll put in the neighbourhood, so that sim will have more interesting genetics - I'm sure plenty of simmers do this. The CAS parents never go anywhere, they get deleted before the household is finalised, so their aspirations and turn-ons/turn-offs don't matter, they're just annoying to pick out. Sure, I can make the same choices every time, but it still takes an annoying amount of time that I wish I could just skip.
I sometimes make Sims that way too. And sometimes, when I want a single Sim with a child (whose ages I may change before they finally make it into my game) I let CAS generate a temporary Sim, whom I pair with the one I'm keeping, so that the child is genetically related to the parent that I keep.

Sometimes I would quite like the game to randomise aspiration as it does personality and star sign. Left to the "devices and desires"of my own heart, I very seldom make Fortune Sims, as I find it hard to relate to the way they think. And I'm not too keen on Family Sims either, as I don't like the way they want to control their children's lives -- even in adulthood. (I've sometimes been on the receiving end of that sort of parental love myself.) But I don't waste any time worrying about their turn-ons and turn-offs. With the solitary exception of Andrew, my very first Sim, I've given every single Sim (teen and older) that I've made in CAS (and I've made a lot of CAS Sims!), the same turn-ons and turn-offs that I'd undoubtedly have myself if I were a Sim: Swimwear and Underwear as turn-ons (you've all seen the way my Sims dress ). Vampirism as their turn-off.

Andrew? He doesn't fancy boys with beards. Otherwise he agrees with me. (I actually think he has a point about facial hair. I can't help thinking that kissing must be more fun without bristly hair getting in the way. But what would I know? I'm an Elder now, and I still haven't had a first kiss! My Sims understand romance and relationships much better than I do!)

Quote: Originally posted by Charity
How full is your hard disk? 823 MB isn't much for a 500 GB SSD to handle.
It currently says 116GB free of 456GB, which is about three quarters full. But sometimes it seems to vary for no obvious reason. It's probably because of large temporary files somewhere on the disk being created and deleted. I don't think all of that is ever available for use as virtual memory, and I still think running out of virtual memory may be a part of my problem.
Quote: Originally posted by Charity
200 tabs? Noone needs that many tabs open at once! Tabs are a memory hog. They'll be slowing you to a crawl trying to process everything.
Point taken. This may be part of the cause of my troubles. When I checked earlier today, I had 241 tabs open in Firefox! I'll try and go through then all, and close all the ones I'm never likely to use. A lot of them are pictures that I intended to use in posts here, but the thread tab timed out before I posted. I suspect now they are not only wasting memory on my computer, but also wasting space on MTS's servers. Clearly I can''t now use pictures take in May of last years to illustrate a post in What's happening in your game right now? ! I'll close most of the tabs, but I'll take a note of the useful-looking URLs that I may be able to use later.

All Sims are beautiful -- even the ugly ones.
My Simblr ~~ My LJ
Sims' lives matter!
The Veronaville kids are alright.
Mad Poster
#7361 Old 21st Sep 2026 at 7:44 PM
Quote: Originally posted by AndrewGloria
Sometimes I would quite like the game to randomise aspiration as it does personality and star sign. Left to the "devices and desires"of my own heart, I very seldom make Fortune Sims, as I find it hard to relate to the way they think. And I'm not too keen on Family Sims either, as I don't like the way they want to control their children's lives -- even in adulthood. (I've sometimes been on the receiving end of that sort of parental love myself.) But I don't waste any time worrying about their turn-ons and turn-offs. With the solitary exception of Andrew, my very first Sim, I've given every single Sim (teen and older) that I've made in CAS (and I've made a lot of CAS Sims!), the same turn-ons and turn-offs that I'd undoubtedly have myself if I were a Sim: Swimwear and Underwear as turn-ons (you've all seen the way my Sims dress ). Vampirism as their turn-off.


If you want more variety in your aspirations or turn on/offs, then assign a number to each one and then roll a dice. Should make things more interesting. https://www.google.com/search?si=AP...2&bih=956&dpr=1

Quote: Originally posted by AndrewGloria
Point taken. This may be part of the cause of my troubles. When I checked earlier today, I had 241 tabs open in Firefox! I'll try and go through then all, and close all the ones I'm never likely to use. A lot of them are pictures that I intended to use in posts here, but the thread tab timed out before I posted. I suspect now they are not only wasting memory on my computer, but also wasting space on MTS's servers. Clearly I can''t now use pictures take in May of last years to illustrate a post in What's happening in your game right now? ! I'll close most of the tabs, but I'll take a note of the useful-looking URLs that I may be able to use later.


If you want to save URLs then just flag them to go into your favourites. That's what I do when I procrastinate on getting around to looking at them lol.
Test Subject
#7362 Old 22nd Sep 2026 at 4:39 PM
Quote: Originally posted by AndrewGloria

I am going to have to have a second cancer operation in the next 6-8 weeks, which will restrict my other activities, so I reckon my Sims game will be more important for my wellbeing than ever.


I'm sorry to hear about your health. I pray for a successful surgery and speedy recovery. Thank you for answering my questions.
Test Subject
#7363 Old 22nd Sep 2026 at 4:43 PM
Quote: Originally posted by pinkdynamite
Dreadpirate has one.


I know you were responding to AndrewGloria, but I just wanted to say thanks for the recommendation. It is perfect for what I needed.
Lab Assistant
#7364 Old 23rd Sep 2026 at 7:08 AM
It annoys me when I look at an apartment, think that looks good but when you rent it all the furniture is missing.
I find I have to screen shot the apartment and then go hunting for all the furniture in the buy catalogue.

Why can't you just rent a furnished apartment?
On my ship The Rocinante
retired moderator
#7365 Old 23rd Sep 2026 at 9:34 AM
You can rent furnished if you play with testing cheats on and shift click the apartment door> Rent furnished. Warning- the rent is very steep! You can also rent furnished with apthack from MATY:
http://www.moreawesomethanyou.com/ffs/al/hacks/
Page 295 of 295
Back to top