1 people viewing
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Mad Poster
#37726 Old 29th Sep 2026 at 4:31 PM Last edited by simmer22 : 29th Sep 2026 at 7:50 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by AndrewGloria
However I have recently been wondering if I am sometimes running out of virtual memory, as there have been a couple of times recently when my game has crashed right back to Windows without any error messages. See my post here and Charity's reply on the next page. Windows currently says I have 138 GB free of 456 GB on my SSD C: drive, but 36 hours ago it was saying 148 GB free. A few days earlier it was saying 116 GB free. I don't know what is causing these massive fluctuations. I certainly didn't consciously delete any massive files to account for the leap from 116 to 148 GB free in a few days.


These fluctuations could potentially be due to virtual memory use, and/or (as I've noticed with my machine) the hibernation memory/cache being all over the place. If you use any form of hibernation or hibernation-adjacent functions on the computer (including fast startup, apparently), the fluctuations can vary with several GB of harddrive space, depending on how much space the computer allows the hibernation system to use. As long as you have 100+ GB free space this shouldn't be a problem, though. It's more of an issue when you're starting to get down to 30 GB and under. However, as I understand, SSDs tend to work best when they're at 50% or more capacity,

My laptop is a bit low on space at the moment, so I've noticed several times that when hibernation happened, 10-20 GB suddenly would "disappear" from the harddrive, and returned if I fully shut down the computer or gave it a full restart. I'd also get errors at shutdown if the harddrive space went too low. (I've since done a few changes, which I don't necessarily recommend if you aren't as low on space as I am currently, but haven't had the errors or large chunks missing since, just a few GB that come and go here and there).

Quote: Originally posted by AndrewGloria
Another possible problem, pointed out to me by Charity, is that I had Firefox open as I played, with over 240 open tabs on it, and that that will put considerable pressure on my computer's memory, both physical and virtual. I'm therefore making a mental note, not to attempt another big TS2 play session, until I have closed most of those tabs, bookmarking the important URLs as I do so.


Firefox can be a memory hog, and 200+ tabs definitely, so absolutely do something about those before playing the game. I rarely have more than 1-2 tabs open alongside the game (if any), and try to close down most of other programs I don't need. That way the resources go to the game, no to everything else. The game doesn't just use RAM/memory, it also uses the processor, and 200+ open tabs can absolutely hog some of those resources, too.

Check your Firefox settings, too. Turning off AI (there's a button now) could potentially help some with the memory/CPU issues.

Quote: Originally posted by Casimir
I think I have an interesting question. So, can you have the same mesh, as a non default hairstyle and a default hairstyle (both at the same time)? I think I worded it correctly...


Yes, you can. Normally, they'd use different resources, so it would be like using two different hairs. I think there are also versions where you can use a DR hair with linked custom recolors.
Mad Poster
#37727 Old 29th Sep 2026 at 9:45 PM
Quote: Originally posted by simmer22
Do you mean this one?
https://modthesims.info/d/700931/si...ots-system.html

It's showig under "recent" for me, and I'm using "Bluefish".
Have you added all packs under your profile? If you haven't, there could be missing items in the download section when items require spesific packs (useful if you don't want the results to show, annoying if not).


Yes, that is one mod I know is hiding. There are probably other things I haven't seen listed - no idea how long things have been going awol. (Possibly explains the low rate of new stuff on MTS lately...I just supposed people weren't uploading things very often. )

Thanks for that idea about listed packs - but it didn't seem to fix the problem. I can see the 'missing' upload from the creator's profile, but it still doesn't appear under Downloads Home/Newest dropdown. Tried refreshing. Maybe it will show up next time I start the computer.

The annoying thing about this is, that I only find out about the items when someone else mentions them in a thread I see.

My new downloads are on my Pillowfort
Mad Poster
#37728 Old 30th Sep 2026 at 12:03 AM
Have you checked that you don't have the "Show only downloads by your Followed Creators" option or have any items ticked in the "Settings --> Download browse editor", or checked if any pack filters are active?
(all 3 are on the Download page, under Sub-Sections in the Search bar)
Mad Poster
#37729 Old 30th Sep 2026 at 5:48 AM
Quote: Originally posted by simmer22
checked if any pack filters are active?

That was it! No idea why that setting was on, but maybe I did it for...reasons...in the distant past?
Anyway, suddenly a bunch of new things are showing up. Thanks for the suggestion.

My new downloads are on my Pillowfort
Field Researcher
#37730 Old 30th Sep 2026 at 3:37 PM
One of my female sims got burgled, no big deal but now they have a want to see the ghost of the burglar.
Im not quite sure how to achieve that. Top of my head I would have to make friends with the burglar, fall in love, Woohoo until I can ask them to move in. I assume I then have to bump them off perhaps asking them to repair an electrical appliance with water on the floor.

I know this game is a little twisted sometimes but :censored: me
Screenshots
Mad Poster
#37731 Old 30th Sep 2026 at 4:30 PM
Teleporter (Simlogical, or I think this also works with SimBlender). Teleport in burglar, move them in, apply death of your choice, either with a death-dealer such as the cowplant or through Rodney's Death Creator, keep the grave on the lot.

By that time the want will have rolled away if you don't lock it.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Field Researcher
#37732 Old 30th Sep 2026 at 5:16 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Peni Griffin
Teleporter (Simlogical, or I think this also works with SimBlender). Teleport in burglar, move them in, apply death of your choice, either with a death-dealer such as the cowplant or through Rodney's Death Creator, keep the grave on the lot.

By that time the want will have rolled away if you don't lock it.

I love that you suggest "death of your choice" because there are so many built into the game
Mad Poster
#37733 Old Yesterday at 4:18 AM
Having reported a few days ago how Doreen Capri's house had disappeared into that hole in the landscape (see my post here), I'm sure you will all understand how pleased I was to see her house again after restoring from backup.
This house is of historic importance to me and to Andrew and Julian, as it was the very first house that Jones & Moltke built for sale. It was their Round 1 entry in the Monopoly Game Town contest. (We originally built that house in an AGS Base Game 'hood, to qualify for a bonus for being base-game compatible, but I soon downloaded the Monopoly Game Town terrain, and placed a copy of the house there, to see how it looked in the neighbourhood it was meant for. The house then lay empty for several years until Doreen bought it.)

Quote: Originally posted by Charity
Well they do look as if she interrupted them doing a sexy roleplay.
But you know my Sims! That's just the way they like to dress. Doreen is trying to look alluring to impress Helena. So she's changed into her formal outfit. For her part Helena is just wearing her everyday clothes. Including that bra! (is it really made of coconut shells?) Helena has a dress style all of her own. She's the only one in the whole Grand Duchy of Veronaville who has gone for a "Hula Zombie" look. Mind you, Vicki West is beginning to look as if she's wondering what she's let herself in for in accepting Doreen's invitation to come in. . .
Screenshots

All Sims are beautiful -- even the ugly ones.
My Simblr ~~ My LJ
Sims' lives matter!
The Veronaville kids are alright.
Mad Poster
#37734 Old Yesterday at 5:15 PM
Quote: Originally posted by AndrewGloria
But you know my Sims! That's just the way they like to dress. Doreen is trying to look alluring to impress Helena. So she's changed into her formal outfit. For her part Helena is just wearing her everyday clothes. Including that bra! (is it really made of coconut shells?)


All your sims dress exactly the same way?

https://www.instructables.com/How-t...-a-coconut-bra/
Scholar
#37735 Old Today at 8:09 PM
My sims is planting a garden and all he wants to do is plant tomatoes. I love tomatoes but not that much. How do I get him to plant something different?
Mad Poster
#37736 Old Today at 8:17 PM
Have him work in the garden a lot. Once he gets a bronze badge, he'll have more crops he can plant, and then yet more with Silver and Gold badges.

Also, look around for custom garden plots. I have one that grows greens, one that grows gourds/squashes, and one that produces "cottage garden" crops: rhubarb, potatoes, blackcurrent, and beetroot. There's probably more out there somewhere. Lay out your gardens with multiple types of garden plots, and one planting instruction will get you numerous different crops, as the direction to plant one will tell the other kinds of garden lots to grow the corresponding level of crop to the first one.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Scholar
#37737 Old Today at 8:49 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Peni Griffin
Have him work in the garden a lot. Once he gets a bronze badge, he'll have more crops he can plant, and then yet more with Silver and Gold badges.

Also, look around for custom garden plots. I have one that grows greens, one that grows gourds/squashes, and one that produces "cottage garden" crops: rhubarb, potatoes, blackcurrent, and beetroot. There's probably more out there somewhere. Lay out your gardens with multiple types of garden plots, and one planting instruction will get you numerous different crops, as the direction to plant one will tell the other kinds of garden lots to grow the corresponding level of crop to the first one.



Thank you Peni Griffin. I forgot about the badges.
Mad Poster
#37738 Old Today at 9:02 PM
Quote: Originally posted by deew1957
My sims is planting a garden and all he wants to do is plant tomatoes. I love tomatoes but not that much. How do I get him to plant something different?


In addition to getting more options with earned gardening badges, you can also place fruit trees he can tend.

You can perhaps give the Planting Overhaul mod a try, if you want even more options?
https://modthesims.info/d/679561

I think Sun&moon has gardening stuff too, but their mods tend to be very involved.
Page 1510 of 1510
Back to top