Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Mad Poster
#34276 Old Yesterday at 5:05 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Bulbizarre
Is it safe to delete a pregnancy token in SimPE, or should I go in-game to terminate it?

It seems to be the only way to remove a pregnancy from a townie (don't ask) as on all the tools I've tried "terminate pregnancy" is only available to household Sims.

I'm secretly a Bulbasaur. | Formerly known as ihatemandatoryregister

Looking for SimWardrobe's mods? | Or Dizzy's? | Faiuwle/rufio's too! | smorbie1's Chris Hatch archives
Advertisement
Scholar
#34277 Old Yesterday at 6:15 AM
Do the abdomen and locomotion animations go away on their own? My ToLD has no such restriction, but I rarely make people pregnant, so I don't know if it works fully.
Mad Poster
#34278 Old Yesterday at 6:45 AM
Quote: Originally posted by AndrewGloria
In my Pleasantview Cassandra has a want to have a baby, although she's not in relationship. Is this normal?

Yep. All family sims, pretty much regardless of relationship status (but especially in a relationship, and when married), rolls the baby want at some point. It's often one of the first thing they roll. It's also one of the first things they'll roll after having a baby
Mad Poster
#34279 Old Yesterday at 7:27 AM
Big wants like having a baby for family sims are wants that they roll when they are at low (or about to be low) aspiration. Since sims start with absolutely neutral aspiration, that counts as "low" for the system and they start rolling those big wants. If you keep them permanently in platinum, they generally only roll wants for babies when they get married, or after they've had another baby, or one of their children has just aged up.
Mad Poster
#34280 Old Yesterday at 7:57 AM
Quote: Originally posted by jonasn
Do the abdomen and locomotion animations go away on their own? My ToLD has no such restriction, but I rarely make people pregnant, so I don't know if it works fully.

Is there any special animations for first trimester? I just checked and SimPE does have a Pregnant (Invisible) flag checked but I'm not sure what it does.

Looking for SimWardrobe's mods? | Or Dizzy's? | Faiuwle/rufio's too! | smorbie1's Chris Hatch archives
Mad Poster
#34281 Old Yesterday at 8:02 AM
I've heard people claim that their sims walk slightly differently in the first trimester, but I've never noticed a difference. I think the belly at least does not go away if you terminate the pregnancy after the first trimester, which is I think why usually the option is only available on modded objects during the first trimester.
Mad Poster
#34282 Old Yesterday at 8:04 AM
If I use the Sim Locomotor to make a Sim walk with a pregnant style, they do that exaggerated walk (which honestly looks hilarious when there's no pregnant belly).

Mad Poster
#34283 Old Yesterday at 8:10 AM
Quote: Originally posted by kestrellyn
Big wants like having a baby for family sims are wants that they roll when they are at low (or about to be low) aspiration. Since sims start with absolutely neutral aspiration, that counts as "low" for the system and they start rolling those big wants. If you keep them permanently in platinum, they generally only roll wants for babies when they get married, or after they've had another baby, or one of their children has just aged up.

Considering that Andrew mentioned that Cassandra "spectacularly fell out" with Don, that would point to a possible low aspiration.

Mad Poster
#34284 Old Yesterday at 12:19 PM
Quote: Originally posted by kestrellyn
Big wants like having a baby for family sims are wants that they roll when they are at low (or about to be low) aspiration.

Not necessarily. They also get triggered by events/event trees and related wants, even when the sim is at a high aspiration. I try to keep my sims at high green/platinum aspiration, and they often roll the high-point wants.

The baby want gets triggered by positive changes in their relationship status, especially if you've got a couple turtledoves getting on, and once they're engaged/married/etc. the baby want is usually the first one popping up for family sims (and by then my sims usually have platinum aspiration...). I've had single sims rolling it, too (usually when first moving in, from CAS).

(I play with mostly unmodded wants/fears).
Scholar
#34285 Old Yesterday at 12:38 PM
This is my anecdotal observation, and I have no hard evidence of this, but I have restarted Pleasantview enough times to believe that there are some wants that the premades are programmed to have that they normally wouldn't (other than the obvious ones that push the storylines). Cassandra is a family Sim, so it would be normal for her to want to just have a baby, but I've noticed that she always has that want starting out (before getting left at the altar, if that's what happens), along with wanting to marry Don and talk to Darren. Mortimer has a want to flirt with Nina for some reason--game making trouble? Dina has also rolled the want to have a baby before getting married quite often when I've played her, which I interpreted as her wanting to "baby trap" Mortimer into marriage.
Mad Poster
#34286 Old Yesterday at 12:43 PM
^ That's quite likely.

Also, adult family sims usually have the baby want as one of their first wants directly from CAS, but also sometimes at the point of growing from teen to adult (if it's not the "find love" want, or both).

Married family sims from CAS always have the baby want (so far I don't think I've seen a single exception, and I've made plenty enough family sims from CAS...).
Mad Poster
#34287 Old Yesterday at 1:22 PM
Quote: Originally posted by sturlington
This is my anecdotal observation, and I have no hard evidence of this, but I have restarted Pleasantview enough times to believe that there are some wants that the premades are programmed to have that they normally wouldn't (other than the obvious ones that push the storylines). Cassandra is a family Sim, so it would be normal for her to want to just have a baby, but I've noticed that she always has that want starting out (before getting left at the altar, if that's what happens), along with wanting to marry Don and talk to Darren. Mortimer has a want to flirt with Nina for some reason--game making trouble? Dina has also rolled the want to have a baby before getting married quite often when I've played her, which I interpreted as her wanting to "baby trap" Mortimer into marriage.

In the wants tree, there is a want called "IAmGothCassandra" - a scripted want, I'm not sure specifically what it is. There's also wants for two characters from a British sitcom (???)

I opened up the Pleasantview template from the game folder and here's Cassandra's initial SWAF.

Screenshots

Scholar
#34288 Old Yesterday at 2:18 PM
Fawlty Towers? That's hilarious! I absolutely loved that show. If you can get hold of any episodes, it's well worth a watch. But what does it mean? Was it just for testing? Maybe a developer was a fan? Puzzled.
Mad Poster
#34289 Old Yesterday at 2:51 PM
Maybe I'm old-fashioned (Andrew tells me I am!), but I still thought the "normal" way to have a baby was for a male and a female to get together who like each other enough to be able to do woohoo together. In Sims terms that usually means a strong romantic attraction. I'd call that a relationship. Now since she spectacularly fell out with Don, the only unrelated male with whom Cassandra has a strong friendship is Darren Dreamer, and I suppose I could let them turn that into a relationship. But I feel that everybody pairs up Cassandra and Darren, and I'd really like to do something different. Maybe Cassandra and Goopy! Or with a CAS Sim I haven't even made yet! Or even perhaps with a female!

Huh? You have teenage couples adopting/having children when they're still children themselves, but Cassandra having a baby while single is a nono?
Mad Poster
#34290 Old Today at 3:58 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Bulbizarre
Considering that Andrew mentioned that Cassandra "spectacularly fell out" with Don, that would point to a possible low aspiration.
As some of you will doubtless remember, Cassandra's intended wedding with Don ended up with her (autonomously) attacking Don rather than marrying him. See picture here. She had spotted him kissing and flirting with Nina at a nightclub I built. (I was playing Don with Nina, but I had set the visitor criteria for the nightclub to make it almost certain that Cassandra would turn up and see them together.) It's actually over ten years since I played that bit, but for them it's only a couple of days, so Cassandra is not in a very good state of aspiration.

Quote: Originally posted by Charity
Huh? You have teenage couples adopting/having children when they're still children themselves, but Cassandra having a baby while single is a nono?
It's not so much that I might disapprove of her having a baby, it's more that can't see the mechanics of her having a baby when she's not in a heterosexual relationship. How is she going to get pregnant? I think the easiest way is for her to adopt. I wonder if, even with the mod I mentioned, the game will see her adopting an older child as fulfilling the "Have a baby" want. Because, let's face it, babies and (especially) toddlers are a lot of work. Whereas, if she adopted a school age child, that would be a potential playmate for Alexander, who desperately needs to be brought out of his shell. I don't think I've ever seen a more uptight child. Having his mother turn up again is a big help, but having friends his own age would be better still.

I know that legally teens are now to be regarded as children right up till their 18th birthday, but at 16 and 17 I certainly didn't consider myself a child. I was still at school till I was nearly 18, but the school leaving age was 15, so school after that age was optional. So I was aware that, while I was still at school, other people my own age were both working for a living and caring for a family. I simply don't believe that all of them were feckless. I prefer the Sims concept where teens area quite separate life-stage from children, and, even in a vanilla game, teens can do almost anything that adults can. Think of Ginger and Gavin Newson. I'm sure that some of their neighbours think that they're a couple.

All Sims are beautiful -- even the ugly ones.
My Simblr ~~ My LJ
Sims' lives matter!
The Veronaville kids are alright.
Mad Poster
#34291 Old Today at 4:20 AM
It's not so much that I might disapprove of her having a baby, it's more that can't see the mechanics of her having a baby when she's not in a heterosexual relationship. How is she going to get pregnant?

Oh, there are several ways to do that... let's just say women have several options (both in RL and ingame). Then again, even the men have (unmodded) options ingame, if a bit unconventional (and ingame you can always fix stuff with a mod, if green babies or brief "baby daddy only" relationships aren't what you're after)

I don't think adoption fulfills the "have a baby" want without a mod. Can't quite remember (been a while), but I think single sims can adopt, and there's a mod that lets you choose more (gender/age/teens/etc.), so there's always that option.
Mad Poster
#34292 Old Today at 4:29 AM
Quote: Originally posted by simmer22
Not necessarily. They also get triggered by events/event trees and related wants, even when the sim is at a high aspiration. I try to keep my sims at high green/platinum aspiration, and they often roll the high-point wants.

The baby want gets triggered by positive changes in their relationship status, especially if you've got a couple turtledoves getting on, and once they're engaged/married/etc. the baby want is usually the first one popping up for family sims (and by then my sims usually have platinum aspiration...). I've had single sims rolling it, too (usually when first moving in, from CAS).

(I play with mostly unmodded wants/fears).

Yes? I literally listed the contexts where it occurs normally. I said they only occur outside of those contexts when the sim is at low aspiration.
Mad Poster
#34293 Old Today at 11:56 AM
It's not so much that I might disapprove of her having a baby, it's more that can't see the mechanics of her having a baby when she's not in a heterosexual relationship. How is she going to get pregnant? I think the easiest way is for her to adopt. I wonder if, even with the mod I mentioned, the game will see her adopting an older child as fulfilling the "Have a baby" want. Because, let's face it, babies and (especially) toddlers are a lot of work. Whereas, if she adopted a school age child, that would be a potential playmate for Alexander, who desperately needs to be brought out of his shell. I don't think I've ever seen a more uptight child. Having his mother turn up again is a big help, but having friends his own age would be better still.

I know that legally teens are now to be regarded as children right up till their 18th birthday, but at 16 and 17 I certainly didn't consider myself a child. I was still at school till I was nearly 18, but the school leaving age was 15, so school after that age was optional. So I was aware that, while I was still at school, other people my own age were both working for a living and caring for a family. I simply don't believe that all of them were feckless. I prefer the Sims concept where teens area quite separate life-stage from children, and, even in a vanilla game, teens can do almost anything that adults can. Think of Ginger and Gavin Newson. I'm sure that some of their neighbours think that they're a couple.

One night stand, sperm donor ... There are ways and means.

I didn't mean to say that teens were feckless lol. But teens shouldn't have adult responsibilities. I feel very sorry for the Newsons. They've been forced into a terrible situation and sure, they're coping with it. But Ginger and Gavin have been forced to grow up way too soon. There are way too many RL stories where teenage pregnancies and/or parentification ruined lives.
Scholar
#34294 Old Today at 12:42 PM
I was watching a Let's Play recently where the player kept Cassandra single and had her adopt the Newsons instead. A better outcome for all? As a player, I would consider that as fulfilling the want, even if the game didn't.

Here is my stupid random question: I was considering adding a shopping district to Strangetown. I have Strangetown and Downtown, so I was thinking I'd call it Newtown. Is that just too boring and uncreative? Anyone have a better suggestion? I would like something that ends in "town".
Page 1372 of 1372