Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#30251 Old 13th Sep 2022 at 11:58 PM
Quote: Originally posted by pianogrinder
Snap objects cheat is a fun one. You can merge two furniture objects into one, couches, tables, counters, etc. But you have to be really accurate when lining it up, Patience is key.

Quarter tile cheat helps with that.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Advertisement
Scholar
#30252 Old 15th Sep 2022 at 2:50 PM
I've returned to playing Sims 2 after not doing it for a very, very long time and I probably forgot a lot of basic stuff.
Am I forgetting how to get custom hair (custom or properly binned) to show up? I downloaded them here, they are in the mods folder, I have the mesh file, too, and custom content is enabled in-game. Yet they are not showing up. Several of them are 3-to-2 conversions, if that makes a difference.
I have some that are default replacements for in-game hairs, and those work fine.
Mad Poster
#30253 Old 15th Sep 2022 at 3:57 PM
Quote: Originally posted by CatMuto
I've returned to playing Sims 2 after not doing it for a very, very long time and I probably forgot a lot of basic stuff.
Am I forgetting how to get custom hair (custom or properly binned) to show up? I downloaded them here, they are in the mods folder, I have the mesh file, too, and custom content is enabled in-game. Yet they are not showing up. Several of them are 3-to-2 conversions, if that makes a difference.
I have some that are default replacements for in-game hairs, and those work fine.

- In the "Mods" folder or in the "Downloads" folder? The second one is correct. Mods folder is used for TS4 (and TS3?). You can have a subfolder called Mods, but the main folder for your downloads should always be called Downloads (capital "D", end "s").

- Have you properly enabled CC? You'll have to enable it, then restart your game to make most CC to show up. If it's still not showing, try enabling it again. Sometimes it's very stubborn. Try getting different items to show (build, CAS, etc.), and if you have troubles getting anything to show, there's some helpful tips here (including a "hack" to force the game to read CC) - https://modthesims.info/wiki.php?title=Game_Help:GCCTSU

- Custom hair can show up either in the binned section (if it's color binned) or under the custom star (if it's not binned). Make sure to look under the proper gender and age. Also, make sure to check if the hair really is a custom hair or if it's a default replacement, because those show up in very different places in the catalog.
Scholar
#30254 Old 15th Sep 2022 at 9:03 PM
It was due to them being in a Mods folder instead of one labelled Downloads.
Mad Poster
#30255 Old 15th Sep 2022 at 10:34 PM Last edited by AndrewGloria : 15th Sep 2022 at 11:27 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by simmer22
- In the "Mods" folder or in the "Downloads" folder? The second one is correct. Mods folder is used for TS4 (and TS3?). You can have a subfolder called Mods, but the main folder for your downloads should always be called Downloads (capital "D", end "s").

Quote: Originally posted by CatMuto
It was due to them being in a Mods folder instead of one labelled Downloads.

That's interesting. Early in my game I had some mods that I wanted to remove, at least temporarily. I moved them from Downloads to a "Not in Use" folder that I made, but still inside The Sims 2 folder. I was surprised to find that the game was still using them. To stop it using them I had to take them completely out of The Sims 2 folder.

So it seems that some CC has to be in the Downloads folder (or a subfolder of it) while other CC works anywhere inside The Sims 2 folder. Or maybe it depends upon your EPs. The Sims 2 is a complicated animal.

All Sims are beautiful -- even the ugly ones.
My Simblr ~~ My LJ
Sims' lives matter!
The Veronaville kids are alright.
Mad Poster
#30256 Old 15th Sep 2022 at 11:14 PM
Some items will work outside the Downloads folder. Possibly mods, defaults (Bloom at Insim suggested making a Defaults folder some years back, and this apparently worked - I haven't personally tested it), maybe a few other things. You can place some items in the install folder (spesific items like some recategorizers, to remove the custom star). Most CAS recolors will work if put in the SavedSims folder (possibly not meshes, haven't done any extensive testing on this).

The game does seem to prefer the Downloads folder, though. It's the default folder name, and the one Bodyshop will default to making.

If you remove CC (temporary or otherwise), you should move it out of the "The Sims 2 (UC)" folder, because the game may or may not read the files, so best be sure. You can keep it in the EA Games folder.
Mad Poster
#30258 Old 16th Sep 2022 at 10:45 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Aspersim
Why does a fire take such a toll on a sims hygiene?

I've sometimes just had sims take a shower then all of a sudden a fire happens sometimes outside of the sims house from a lightning strike (at the end of a thunderstorm) and the sims won't call for the fire Dept no matter how many times you tell them to it's vary annoying and all they do is stand next to the fire and scream until the fire gets put out or they catch on fire and die. WTF I hate when that happens.

My primary question is what does stinky arm pits have to do with being close to a giant campfire? or a fire in general?

The reason why I ask is because I've sat next bon fires before and I don't come out smelling like one so why should a sim? especially after they just took a shower.

therefore don't forget to put a smoke detector on the outside of a sims house if you have trees or leave newspapers lying around if you have The Sims 2 Seasons Expansion Pack Installed.

Having myself been in an actual real life structure fire before, the smell of the burning does cling to you if you were in the structure that burned. The stink comes from an actual house fire, not a campfire.
Like a smoker-the smell of smoke clings to you. That's probably what the stinky armpits represents.

Also-as a side note, Will Wright was in a massive fire which was the impetus for his designing of the Sims game ; he undoubtedly will never forget the situation that he was involved in for the rest of his life. It was that traumatic.
https://www.berkeleyside.org/2011/1...r-iosing-a-home

Receptacle Refugee & Resident Polar Bear
"Get out of my way, young'un, I'm a ninja!"
Grave Matters: The funeral podium is available here: https://www.mediafire.com/file/e6tj...albits.zip/file
My other downloads are here: https://app.mediafire.com/myfiles
Top Secret Researcher
#30259 Old 16th Sep 2022 at 11:33 AM
Maybe that's why fires are overwhelmingly common in sims

Omnia - Fantasy / Mythological / Medieval Hood
Ephemera MoreColorful - SimpleSkin Recolors
Forum Resident
#30260 Old 16th Sep 2022 at 4:52 PM Last edited by kanzen : 16th Sep 2022 at 5:26 PM.
so i loaded up 2 community lots i built years ago and ..it's raining in both of them.
they were binned and i did play a copies, so why is it raining on the "fresh" ones as if theyve also been played?

update: i exit game and reloaded it cos i wanted to set CC off, and whatdya know, the lots are sunny again.
now i have two questions!
Mad Poster
#30261 Old 17th Sep 2022 at 3:44 AM
So I got an idea for a building contest, but disaster is likely to strike at any time and even without disaster my energy levels are erratic at best. I know running a contest wins one the "cat herder" badge. How hard is it, really?

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Forum Resident
#30262 Old 18th Sep 2022 at 6:31 AM
WCIF happy holiday stuff fireworks? Can't find it anywhere on buy mode. I'm working on a community lot tho so...could it be that fireworks are not allowed in community lots?
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#30263 Old 18th Sep 2022 at 7:48 AM
@kanzen They are under party in residential lots for $50 and $75. If they don't show on a com lot you might need to buy them on a res lot then grab them from inventory on the com lot with the buy and build enabler mod.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Forum Resident
#30264 Old 18th Sep 2022 at 10:02 AM
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
@kanzen They are under party in residential lots for $50 and $75. If they don't show on a com lot you might need to buy them on a res lot then grab them from inventory on the com lot with the buy and build enabler mod.

thank you!! i knew ive seen them in party category but they dont show up in community buy mode.
would building first in residential and then converting to community via changelotzoning work? i assume so...
Mad Poster
#30265 Old 19th Sep 2022 at 1:57 AM
Well, it's not really a stupid question, but I think I know the answer to it, so it becomes a stupid question. For the hundredth time, I'm trying to clean out my downloads folder. This time, I'm only cleaning out the clothing folder inside the Downloads folder. If I remove (which is what I want to do) the mesh that the recolors are slaved to, don't that removed the the recolors?
Mad Poster
#30266 Old 19th Sep 2022 at 2:17 AM Last edited by simmer22 : 19th Sep 2022 at 2:31 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by Debby1957
If I remove (which is what I want to do) the mesh that the recolors are slaved to, don't that removed the the recolors?

No, you have to remove the recolors, as these are the ones that show up in Bodyshop/CAS. If you only remove the mesh, you'll be stuck with a lot of broken EAxis items showing in the catalog. CAS recolors are slaved to other recolors, not to a mesh file.

The mesh file has more of a "supporting" role in CAS items, in that it points the recolors to a custom mesh instead of an ingame one. If you take away the mesh file, the recolors can't find the reference, and shows a placeholder thumbnail/item instead.
Mad Poster
#30267 Old 19th Sep 2022 at 3:25 AM
No, you have to remove the recolors, as these are the ones that show up in Bodyshop/CAS. If you only remove the mesh, you'll be stuck with a lot of broken EAxis items showing in the catalog. CAS recolors are slaved to other recolors, not to a mesh file.

The mesh file has more of a "supporting" role in CAS items, in that it points the recolors to a custom mesh instead of an ingame one. If you take away the mesh file, the recolors can't find the reference, and shows a placeholder thumbnail/item instead.

That's what I thought. I tried very hard to get all the WARLOKK and plus files out of my downloads. I will see when I load my game. I have no use for them now.
Mad Poster
#30268 Old 19th Sep 2022 at 3:45 AM
http://www.picknmixmods.com/Sims2/N...tOrganiser.html
I think this program can detect which meshes belong to which recolors (can also be done in SimPE but it's a bit more complicated)

Personally I prefer keeping meshes together with recolors, so I can remove them in one swoop if I don't want to keep them any longer. Makes things a bit simpler... Although I've had to sort through a bunch of old downloads to match several of these up, so I fully get the issue (I've been using SimPE and Bodyshop to sort through them, which is time consuming and a pain in the... well ).
Alchemist
#30269 Old 19th Sep 2022 at 4:51 AM
So sims aren't supposed to stop playing instruments when their fun bar is full, right? Sigh. I think I downloaded a mod that changed this behavior, but I've no idea which one...

"May the sunlight find you, thy days be long, thy winters kind, thy roots be strong." -Grand Oak Tree, DAO

XPTL Mod Archive | Change a Mod's Mesh into a CC Object | Increasing the Game Difficulty | Editing ACR 4 Your Age Mod
Bored? Read an unfinished legacy or sim story. | aka Kelyns | she/her
Forum Resident
#30270 Old 19th Sep 2022 at 5:05 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Phantomknight
So sims aren't supposed to stop playing instruments when their fun bar is full, right? Sigh. I think I downloaded a mod that changed this behavior, but I've no idea which one...

i don't have such mods but my sims behave the same way. they probably just enjoy playing music.
especially when my sim has max enthusiasm and they get in the zone, they won't stop until hunger, bladder, or energy goes in the red

ALSO! Thank you for telling me about quartertile cheat earlier. I used it in one of my latest builds and omg :lovestruc I'm just so happy at how easily I can place things without damaging any functionality
Mad Poster
#30271 Old 19th Sep 2022 at 5:46 AM
http://www.picknmixmods.com/Sims2/N...tOrganiser.html
I think this program can detect which meshes belong to which recolors (can also be done in SimPE but it's a bit more complicated)

Personally I prefer keeping meshes together with recolors, so I can remove them in one swoop if I don't want to keep them any longer. Makes things a bit simpler... Although I've had to sort through a bunch of old downloads to match several of these up, so I fully get the issue (I've been using SimPE and Bodyshop to sort through them, which is time consuming and a pain in the... well ).

I remembered who did the ones that went with them. I just got tired of having to flip through so many, I only used the few pages before them. I decided to remove them all (which I did get all of them), so I could use the clothing after them. When I loaded my game and they were gone, I found out that I had some pretty awesome clothing for my females that I never got to use.
Mad Poster
#30272 Old 19th Sep 2022 at 10:23 AM
^ It's half the reason why I don't bother too much with different sizes in TS2. They take up too much space I'd rather be using for other clothes. Might occasionally add some for individual sims, but I rarely play with them, because I already have a ton of clothes, and it probably takes me at least an hour just to get through the buy catalog for what I have.
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#30273 Old 19th Sep 2022 at 11:45 AM
I recently removed most of my CC clothing, and now I'm finding Maxis outfits I forgot existed! It's like having a new game again, I've played heavy CC games for so long I don't even remember some of the clothes. I sometimes play basegame only environment, but I don't think I've played Maxis only for all EPs and SPs... ever. I have to keep all my custom accessories though, a Maxis outfit doesn't look right without inappropriate earrings or a silly hat!
Mad Poster
#30274 Old 19th Sep 2022 at 11:03 PM
^ I often use Maxis outfits and hairs for my test sims. It's honestly a lot easier, because I don't have to worry if I remove the CC they're using, or if there's any high-poly default CC that's going to clog up the game. There's actually a lot of quite decent stuff in the EP/SP catalogs, and I don't mind the weird stuff too much, since it's useful for Halloween and similar. A lot of the BG clothing is a bit meh, though there are soe nice gems there too.

I've downloaded pregmorphs to cover msot of the outfits, plus some simple mesh fixes and texture defaults for the worst offenders.
Alchemist
#30275 Old 20th Sep 2022 at 2:06 AM
Idk, I think maybe for AF and TF BG/EP/SP clothing options are okay, but for almost every other age, options are lacking and there's definitely not a lot of variety. TSS did give TMs a few more things, but honestly a lot of male clothes need way more options. Idk, maybe it's the sandals?

Anyway, turns out it was Squinge's Never Refuse Skill Objects that was causing problems for me. So more autonomy for my sims I guess? I really only installed it for those times in Uni when I need sims to skill, so I have them do an activity like play chess or paint--you know, one that is skill-building but also raises fun. But every now and then, they complain because their fun is already too low and so they stop, preferring to do something else. Well, gee, maybe you should've rolled that want to skill a bit earlier then! That's what I get for trying to get my sims to learn more. Anywho, at least now they can actually perform on instruments without stopping and make some decent cash.

"May the sunlight find you, thy days be long, thy winters kind, thy roots be strong." -Grand Oak Tree, DAO

XPTL Mod Archive | Change a Mod's Mesh into a CC Object | Increasing the Game Difficulty | Editing ACR 4 Your Age Mod
Bored? Read an unfinished legacy or sim story. | aka Kelyns | she/her
Page 1211 of 1339