Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 14th Apr 2010 at 11:46 AM
Default Tutorial: Object creation for absolute beginners
Object creation for absolute beginners

An easy-to-follow tutorial on how to make your own Sims 2 objects, written for those who have never cloned an object before – or those who have already tried and have run into problems along the way.

It contains:

* Screenshots that match the latest version of SimPE (April 2010)

* Detailed instructions and explanations for the entire object creation process:
How to clone an object
How to make a mesh in MilkShape and ensure it has the right dimensions
How to map your mesh with UV Mapper
How to register in the GUID database and get a GUID for your object (and why)
How to make a texture map for your object
How to pull it all together in SimPE to a working object

* Additional advice on:
What object to use as base for your clone
What objects are good to start out with and what objects should not be attempted until you have more experience
What EP to clone from and why basegame objects may be the best bases
How to use your GUID’s wisely
What size texture map to use
When to get a cup of coffee before moving on to the next bit

The tutorial is provided in PDF format.

I hope it will be of help to all those who want to try their hand at creating their own Sims 2 objects. It isn't all that daunting once you get started. Good luck with your endeavours and never hesitate to ask questions!
Attached files:
File Type: rar  Object Creation for Beginners.rar (2.41 MB, 6631 downloads) - View custom content

Moune's Neighbourhood
If you need a cool place for your sims to chill out.
Advertisement
Test Subject
#2 Old 16th Apr 2010 at 3:25 AM
"To me it has always been important to know not only WHAT to do, but also to understand WHY I have to do it."
-this is from your tutorial

I agree! Thanks for such a wonderful and easy to follow tutorial.
Test Subject
#3 Old 16th Apr 2010 at 8:33 AM
Oh my goodness, thank you so much!! =D Finally, an EASY to understand tutorial!! Most other tutorials I've looked at just tell you what to do to make whatever object they're making in the tutorial... It's all "now click this and this and this" without really explaining WHAT they're doing! This one made so much more sense to me! And I feel like I could take what I learned in this tutorial and use it to create a multitude of objects =) Thanks again!
Test Subject
#4 Old 27th Apr 2010 at 6:21 PM
Hello
I've little problem. I want try to work with your tutorial. It's my first try to make a mesh. But...
Quote:
Now let’s move on to the actual mesh. You will find that in the ‘Geometric Data Container’ (GMDC) in the Resource Tree.

I don't have GMDC there:

please.
Former Hamster
retired moderator
#5 Old 27th Apr 2010 at 7:07 PM
You also don't have the SHPE, MMAT, TXMT, TXTR, CRES..and I don't know what else is missing. What object did you clone? And are you sure you had all the appropriate boxes checked before you clicked start? (Did you click "set defaults"? Although I usually UNcheck change description and save that part until the end.)
Test Subject
#6 Old 27th Apr 2010 at 7:25 PM
I've cloned The Talking Table. I did it as it is in tutorial:
Quote:
SimPE will ask you what you want to do with the selected object. In the top drop-down menu chose ‘Clone’. In the options below UNcheck ‘Change Description’. Leave the rest else as it is. Click ‘Start’.

(page 8)

EDIT//
I have checked this:
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#7 Old 27th Apr 2010 at 7:45 PM
That looks weird. I'd throw the package out and start again from the bottom.

Moune's Neighbourhood
Former Hamster
retired moderator
#8 Old 27th Apr 2010 at 7:49 PM
I was going to say that having "reference original mesh" checked would cause the GMDC to be missing. That was before you added the screenshot though. I agree with Moune- throw it away and start over. Out of curiosity, what version of SimPE do you have?
Test Subject
#9 Old 27th Apr 2010 at 9:05 PM
http://sourceforge.net/project/down...e_0_73_44-QA.7z
I just came to that page and downloaded the first version .
Test Subject
#10 Old 8th May 2010 at 3:11 AM
I'm encountering the exact same problem. I've tried a few times and it's still not showing up. I have window's 7 do you think that might be a factor?
Me? Sarcastic? Never.
staff: administrator
#11 Old 8th May 2010 at 3:21 AM
Is that version an install version or unpack yourself? Is your game installed in the default location? Does the game pick up the games files in preferences?

Windows 7 is not an issue, it's just an OS. No different than Vista or XP.

If you have the install version try uninstalling and reinstalling. Go to preferences and make the the game settings have the folders in there, which they should if your game is installed in the default location. If you have installed it elsewhere you may need to point SimPE to your install location.
Test Subject
#12 Old 8th May 2010 at 9:05 PM Last edited by sorryarisim : 8th May 2010 at 10:37 PM.
I have the game installed in the default location. I've been having other programs install strangely since I've upgraded to 7 glad that's not the issue. I down loaded the install but then I saw that there was a newer version on SimPE site. I thought it was odd that it just ran out of the unzipped folder so think didn't install it properly or just go back to the install version. I have to figure how to do the manual install at some point. Thanks for the help HugeLunatic, I very much appreciate it.
Lab Assistant
#13 Old 17th Jun 2010 at 1:33 PM
Great tutorial! I also had that problem with SimPe, a bunch of stuffs didn't show up. But I just re-installed the program and everything works fine!

Tumblr: Springbunnysims
Test Subject
#14 Old 29th Jun 2010 at 2:54 PM
Thank you for this tutorial!! I've create the table mesh,
on Milkshape but I can't export it because I must be
subscribed and pay for exporting meshs....But you've said in this tutorial
that it working with the 30 days free trial period...Is
there another solution?Help!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#15 Old 29th Jun 2010 at 3:25 PM
Not that I know of. If your trial version has run out, you'll have to register it. Otherwise you can switch to Blender which I think is free, but I'm not familiar with that programme, so I can't help you there.

Moune's Neighbourhood
Test Subject
#16 Old 30th Jun 2010 at 10:00 AM
okay,thank you, so if I understood, we can't export with the trial version...
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#17 Old 30th Jun 2010 at 10:28 AM
As far as I remember you should be able to export with the trial version - until it expires of course. You could check on the MilkShape site if that's still the case or look in their forum to see if others have had the same problem.

Moune's Neighbourhood
Test Subject
#18 Old 30th Jun 2010 at 10:50 AM
Okay, because I've downloaded the trial version yesterday....I'll try to search more.Thanks again for the help!
Top Secret Researcher
#19 Old 5th Jul 2010 at 12:27 PM
Is it possible to do this without UV Mapper. It looks rather complicated to me.
I want to make a Berliners Ball as deco and then as custom food.
http://www.unipage.be/uploads/tx_ms...-1270227252.jpg

Where did your MTS uploads go? https://s2idownloads.blogspot.com/2...content-no.html
Contact me here: www.facebook.com/sims2idea
Overview all my creations: Download at once (SimFileShare)
Former Hamster
retired moderator
#20 Old 5th Jul 2010 at 12:46 PM
About MilkShape- if you have the trial version, you can't export. I tried it out with mine before I registered it and export wasn't available. I got a pop-up telling me to register.

About mapping- Don't know what you would be using to mesh- I use MilkShape and you can map your mesh in it. You'd assign a material and move/scale your mesh to fit/where you want it in the Texture Coordinator Editor window. UVMapper isn't that complicated though- it's just about the same process. (That said, I prefer to map in MilkShape- Orange Mittens has a tutorial at Jupiter Sun that I used to learn. At least I think it's OM, if not..sorry!)
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#21 Old 5th Jul 2010 at 12:53 PM
Quote: Originally posted by mustluvcatz
About MilkShape- if you have the trial version, you can't export. I tried it out with mine before I registered it and export wasn't available. I got a pop-up telling me to register.

Is this a new phenomenon? I've used the trial on my Windows box in Feb or March this year, and I was able to export with no issues, for the entire time the trial was valid (I never bought it). Later (I guess in April, and then again in June), I tried to use it on my OS X machine (in mono) – it worked perfectly as far as meshing goes, but like you say, I couldn't export because all I got was the "you need to register " popup.

I was thinking it's an issue with running it in mono, but since I re-downloaded it for the OS X install, it might just as well be a version problem if you're getting the same thing under Windows.

Stuff for TS2 · TS3 · TS4 | Please do not PM me with technical questions – we have Create forums for that.

In the kingdom of the blind, do as the Romans do.
Former Hamster
retired moderator
#22 Old 5th Jul 2010 at 1:01 PM
I honestly don't know if having to register is a new thing. Before my hdd crashed I was using the same version that I am now- 1.8.4 - but I never actually meshed during the trial. Since I had to reinstall, I figured I'd test the "You need to register.." thing out before I registered it.
Top Secret Researcher
#23 Old 5th Jul 2010 at 1:04 PM
If you can't export with Milkshape isn't it better to download Wings 3D? I heard it's not that bad either.
(I'm really new to this. I never meshed before)

Where did your MTS uploads go? https://s2idownloads.blogspot.com/2...content-no.html
Former Hamster
retired moderator
#24 Old 5th Jul 2010 at 1:30 PM
That I don't know since MilkShape is all I've ever used. It would be interesting to see if "you" (meaning anyone) can export with a different version than 1.8.4 of MilkShape though. If it can be done- there's the 30 day trial at least.

*but it's totally up to you (and anyone else) what program you want to get and learn to use
Top Secret Researcher
#25 Old 5th Jul 2010 at 2:14 PM
The thing with that trial version is that you really need time the next 30 days and I can never be sure I will have time. I don't want to install it and waste the time of the trial.
Maybe I can look for a tutorial with Wing 3D first.

Page 1 of 3