Updated: 15th Sep 2008 at 9:28 PM
I've always wondered why there were never any candlelit chandeliers for the Sims--or any crystal chandeliers for that matter--so I decided to make one for myself. And... I think it turned out decently, especially for technically being the first object I've ever uploaded. (It's not the first object I've ever made, but... I'd rather not talk about some of the other ones. )
So anyway, here are the specs for this thing. The chandelier and its crystals are actually two separate objects, and there are several reasons for that (objects groups, poly counts, being able to have a crystal-less chandelier if you so desire, me not knowing my way around too well, etc.). All you have to do is place the chandelier over a table, or in the middle of your ballroom, or wherever else you want it, and then place the crystals on top of it. You don't need to use move_objects on or anything to place it; just drop it on top and you're good to go.
The crystals are actually transparent, the chandelier will NOT disappear when you zoom in (that's something that has always bothered me about the chandeliers Maxis gave us), and even though you can place a table underneath it, your Sims will not walk through it (their heads would reach inside of the chandelier, which would look goofy).
The only downside is the poly count, which I guess is the price you have to pay for something covered in crystals. The chandelier itself is only about 1290 polys, which isn't too unreasonable... but the hanging crystals are around 2800. I did my best to reduce the poly count, but the chandelier just didn't look right with any less detail. Use this with discretion, I guess.
Ok, one last thing. As an added bonus, I have included a set of hanging crystals that can be draped over the Maxis colonial wall candles that came with the base game. This chandelier is supposed to match those wall candles, so I thought the match would be even closer if you had the option of adding more crystals. (The wall crystals have a poly count of 776)
Aaannddd.... that's about it. Feel free to include this in lot uploads (with a link back to here, of course) and to recolor it to your heart's content. I'd prefer if you didn't include the mesh with your recolors, but I probably won't kill you in your sleep if you do. Probably. Enjoy!
Chandelier - 1290
Hanging Crystals - 2800 (use with discretion)
Wall Crystals - 776
I'd like to take this opportunity to thank HystericalParoxysm and Jasana_BugBreeder for helping me navigate through SimPE, Stormwench for teaching me how to make my crystals actually resemble crystals, and Numenor, Lethe, and everyone else who wrote the tutorials that taught me how to make this chandelier.
Oh... and Maxis, of course, for giving me a base to start this object with, and MTS2 for being as helpful and encouraging to new creators as it is.
This is a new mesh, and means that it's a brand new self contained object that usually does not require a specific Pack (although this is possible depending on the type). It may have Recolours hosted on MTS - check below for more information.
|Filename||wall-crystals-jhd1189.package (inside Frenchchandelier.rar)|
|Title||Hanging Wall Crystals|
|Description||These crystals are meant to be attached to a pre-existing wall light. You don't have to use move_objects on to place them; just plop 'em on the wall and you're good to go. :) by jhd1189 at modthesims2.com|
|Filename||french-chandelier-jhd1189.package (inside Frenchchandelier.rar)|
|Description||by jhd1189 at modthesims2.com|
|Filename||hanging-crystals-jhd1189.package (inside Frenchchandelier.rar)|
|Description||These crystals are meant to be used with my French chandelier. You don't have to use move_objects on to place them; just plop 'em on top of my chandelier and you're good to go. :) by jhd1189 at modthesims2.com|
Size: 310.6 KB · Downloads: 39,493 · 10th Feb 2008
|310.6 KB||39,493||10th Feb 2008|
- - File was updated after upload was posted
1. Download: Click the download link to save the .rar or .zip file(s) to your computer.
2. Extract the zip, rar, or 7z file.
3. Place in Downloads Folder: Cut and paste the .package file(s) into your Downloads folder:
- Origin (Ultimate Collection): Users\(Current User Account)\Documents\EA Games\The Sims™ 2 Ultimate Collection\Downloads\
- Non-Origin, Windows Vista/7/8/10: Users\(Current User Account)\Documents\EA Games\The Sims 2\Downloads\
- Non-Origin, Windows XP: Documents and Settings\(Current User Account)\My Documents\EA Games\The Sims 2\Downloads\
- Mac: Users\(Current User Account)\Documents\EA Games\The Sims 2\Downloads
- Mac x64: /Library/Containers/com.aspyr.sims2.appstore/Data/Library/Application Support/Aspyr/The Sims 2/Downloads
- For a full, complete guide to downloading complete with pictures and more information, see: Game Help: Downloading for Fracking Idiots.
- Custom content not showing up in the game? See: Game Help: Getting Custom Content to Show Up.
- If you don't have a Downloads folder, just make one. See instructions at: Game Help: No Downloads Folder.